Box you shoot into to test a gun

PDA

Ingsoc75
January 24, 2014, 07:39 PM
I don't know the correct name for it. I've seen gun makers use it to test their guns to make sure they work correctly. Anybody know?

If you enjoyed reading about "Box you shoot into to test a gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tryin'
January 24, 2014, 07:48 PM
Bullet trap.

jojo200517
January 24, 2014, 07:49 PM
There are several different kinds of bullet traps on the market. The only one I can remember the name of right now is the savage range systems one. They do sizes from simple safe clearing catch container up to full blown ranges and even have one they say is designed for gunsmiths and such.

http://www.savagerangesystems.com/bullettraps/

GarySTL
January 24, 2014, 08:50 PM
If you've got lots of money, or really powerful firearms, the Bullet Bunker is nice. http://thebulletbunker.com/

justashooter in pa
January 24, 2014, 08:54 PM
most of us just call them a "sandbox". i have one made from a 20 gallon steel drum that is filled with gravel and has a standard ring clamp lid that has the center cut out and is sealed by a piece of 1/2" rubber sheet. about 18" of gravel is enuf to stop anything i have thrown at it yet.

rcmodel
January 24, 2014, 09:11 PM
A 5gal bucket of sand will stop just about any normal sporting or SD caliber.

rc

sansone
January 25, 2014, 06:19 AM
if you want to inspect the rifling grooves cut into the projectile a simple sand trap will deform the bullet, but we get by with what we got, often enough surface is visible..
The traps that slow down the projectile in stages are elaborate and expensive..
you can tap the bullet through the bore with a wood dowel but sometimes it can turn into a nightmare if (when) it gets stuck :banghead:

Speedo66
January 25, 2014, 10:01 AM
A garbage can filled with water will stop most handgun bullets, and allow the rifling to be tested.

If you enjoyed reading about "Box you shoot into to test a gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!