In Memoriam, Standing Wolf

PDA

ugaarguy
January 25, 2014, 12:05 PM
THR Friends,

The Staff have recently been informed of the passing of Standing Wolf on January 11th. Many folks knew him either in person or from email exchanged outside the forum. He was a good man, and he will be missed.

May he rest peacefully.

If you enjoyed reading about "In Memoriam, Standing Wolf" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
buck460XVR
January 25, 2014, 12:09 PM
He was a good man, and he will be missed.

May he rest peacefully.

RIP Standing Wolf, Godspeed.

geekWithA.45
January 25, 2014, 12:24 PM
Dang. It's been ages since I heard from him, but I liked that guy.

May he rest in peace, and may his $DEITY welcome him with open arms.

Larry Ashcraft
January 25, 2014, 12:26 PM
RIP, my friend.

A few of us knew him personally, and I'll add to this thread later, as I'll be gone for most of the day.

I'll post up a couple of photos later also.

bikerdoc
January 25, 2014, 12:29 PM
We are diminished by his passing. He was a good member who left us a legacy of fine advice and knowledge.

We will miss him.

Frank Ettin
January 25, 2014, 12:34 PM
May he rest in peace, and may his friends and family find peace.

Jeff White
January 25, 2014, 04:35 PM
Even though he wasn't that active here for the last couple of years we are diminished by his loss. I will miss him. Rest in peace my friend.....

psyopspec
January 25, 2014, 04:44 PM
It's easy to blow out of proportion what can truly be learned on a gun forum, but with Standing Wolf that wouldn't be possible. Thanks for the patience, the knowledge, and for being an individual who set the example of a good community member. Rest easy, and wishes for peace for your loved ones on their lonesome days.

230RN
January 25, 2014, 05:26 PM
He was so perceptive in so many ways. I missed him in the past years, and I suspected something was wrong, but didn't want to bring it up.

I remember me mentioning that he'd coined the term "casually concealed" and he said he actually said "indifferently concealed" and mentioned being in a barber shop and a boy there, on seeing his gun, merely said "Nice gun, Mister" and that was that.

Little points like that will stay with me. I have missed him and still will.

My blessing on you and your spirit, Standing Wolf.

Sam1911
January 25, 2014, 05:30 PM
A tip o' the hat and may he rest peacefully.

Fred Fuller
January 25, 2014, 05:48 PM
Our community is certainly diminished by his passing...

TennJed
January 25, 2014, 06:04 PM
RIP and my thoughts and prayers for those who knew and loved him

grampster
January 25, 2014, 06:58 PM
As Fred and others have said, we are diminished by his passing. But his memory will stick with those of us who appreciated and enjoyed his portion of this place. RIP, standing wolf.

Walkalong
January 25, 2014, 07:05 PM
He will definitely be missed, but some of the knowledge he shared lives on here.

FROGO207
January 25, 2014, 07:06 PM
Sad news to be sure. We here at the THR are better for his want to help in any way he was able. RIP----Godspeed

orionengnr
January 25, 2014, 07:14 PM
Never met him in person, but exchanged pms with him on several occasions.

I was always impressed with his ability to distill his thoughts down to the essence, and dispense his wisdom in bite-size chunks.

On more than one occasion, I told him so.

In his typically modest fashion, he claimed that this was necessary due to his physical inability to type long, detailed posts.

Myself, I think he had a clarity of thought and a communicative ability that few of us possess....but any of us can understand, and many of us envy.

Godspeed, sir.

wally
January 25, 2014, 08:44 PM
R.I.P. We will miss his commentary and knowledge.

Larry Ashcraft
January 25, 2014, 09:37 PM
orionengnr pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I've spent a few hours with SW, one on one. He was an incredible person. He was the opposite of what the general public thinks of as a "gun guy". Your first impression of him, if you were to meet, would probably be "Leftist College Professor".

Well, you would be right about the college professor part, but wrong about the leftist part, SW would be carrying a snub-nosed M29, and would defend his constitutional right to carry that gun.

He was also an accomplished artist, photographer, writer, and all around good marksman. When we had the Colorado get togethers, we would all be shooting at steel plates. SW would be shooting at bullet strikes on steel plates, and hitting them time and time again. His discipline was Bullseye.

RIP my friend, and I know that ever present grin is brightening up Heaven right now.

Sorry, I thought I had some better photos, but this was the best I had.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=194072&d=1390703858

316SS
January 25, 2014, 11:32 PM
He made a deep impression. May he rest peacefully.

BK
January 25, 2014, 11:40 PM
It's been a long walk now.

or

At least it seems.

No. No, I guess it hasn't been.

Looking back at the thoughts that he was gracious enough to hand me, I wish we had a few more steps to take together.

No, I didn't have enough time with him after all.

I will miss you pal.

1911 guy
January 26, 2014, 12:32 AM
There is a phrase used in some cultures when an older or particularly knowledgeable person passed.

A library has burned.

gunnutery
January 26, 2014, 12:59 AM
Prayers sent for the family.

9mmforMe
January 26, 2014, 01:30 AM
I echo the action just previous to this post. Prayers to all who knew and loved him.

Al Thompson
January 26, 2014, 09:11 AM
Sad news. RIP, friend. :(

Double_J
January 26, 2014, 09:15 AM
I will miss him for sure. He helped me with a few issues over the years both on this forum and a couple of others that have come and gone. What a class act. I will be raising a coffee cup in remembrance of him this morning.

Shanghai McCoy
January 27, 2014, 10:53 AM
Sad to read of his passing.
RIP

ConstitutionCowboy
January 27, 2014, 11:03 AM
I remember his posting as intuitive, respected, and respectful.

I started missing him long ago when he backed off on his presence here.

Heaven is a more secure place with him there - if that's possible ... knowing who the guardian is up there ...

Woody

JBrady555
January 27, 2014, 05:57 PM
Rip. Thoughts to the family.

Bigjake
January 28, 2014, 06:12 PM
A class act. He'll be missed.

Rest easy, sir.

Deltaboy
January 29, 2014, 12:38 PM
PRAYERS sent for the Family and his Friends.

Dave A
February 1, 2014, 12:19 AM
A most poeticly composed posting. Well done sir.

El Tejon
February 2, 2014, 12:13 PM
I am sorry to hear of this.

Justin
February 3, 2014, 12:32 AM
I was first aware of Standing Wolf way back on the forums at thefiringline.com.

After graduating college and moving to Colorado, I got involved with a small group of guys that shot Bullseye pistol once a week. Standing Wolf was a man of the old school ways of pistol shooting, and as it turned out, we lived in the same town. A discussion between us led him to join that group for Bullseye practice.

In person, Standing Wolf presented in a way that I could only describe as classic college professor, thin build, taught face, dressed in slacks, sometimes a vest, sometimes a sport coat, with the one difference being that he always had a revolver on his belt, more often than not a short-barreled, comped S&W .44 magnum.

Personality wise, he could come across as a bit of a grump, and he had very little patience for useless people. However, for anyone who showed an interest, he could show a level of generosity and enthusiasm I have seen in only a vanishingly small number of people.

As far as guns went, Standing Wolf was a man of the old school, and he had a keen interest in precision .22 target pistols, especially High Standards, and magnum revolvers made by Colt and Smith & Wesson.

After a couple of years, I drifted away from Bullseye and into the action shooting sports, and Standing Wolf eventually relinquished his shooting practice due to health problems, but we did still correspond occasionally.

I was truly saddened to hear of his passing, and I will always consider him a friend.

Legionnaire
February 3, 2014, 11:33 PM
Saddened to learn this. Never met him, but appreciated his contributions to this forum. My condolences to all who knew him personally.

mbt2001
February 5, 2014, 07:12 PM
Vaya con Dios amigo

returningfire
February 14, 2014, 04:05 PM
Never had the opportunity to meet him personally. but see you in the next act of this play, my brother.

Arp32
June 12, 2014, 07:27 PM
I haven't been reading lately and am sorry to see this today. SW was a true gentleman, and I enjoyed our correspondence some time back when I purchased an old Colt DS from him that he carried during a brief stint as a corrections officer. Godspeed, sir.

Bruno2
June 14, 2014, 10:28 PM
Wow, I just saw this. Sorry to hear this. I enjoyed reading his posts on all the forums I belonged to. He was a well spoken gentleman and very intelligent. Sad news indeed.

Derry 1946
June 14, 2014, 11:51 PM
It's sad to hear of his passing. Godspeed, Standing Wolf.

If you enjoyed reading about "In Memoriam, Standing Wolf" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!