.243 fired out of a .308

PDA

gdcpony
January 25, 2014, 10:15 PM
Somebody made a mistake! Going through my brass today I found the center one. Notice the shape? It is a .243 brass that appears to have been blown out. I think someone loaded it in my .308 and fired it. That could have been VERY bad!

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/q71/s720x720/149316_677483305636121_516370036_n.jpg

I have been present every time the rifle (DPMS LR-308 Oracle) has been fired and never noticed a thing. I guess I should count my blessings since my girls shoot it too.

Brass sized right back to .243 for me.

If you enjoyed reading about ".243 fired out of a .308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
January 25, 2014, 10:18 PM
Won't hurt anything, but I bet the accuracy is not very good!

Jim

rc109a
January 25, 2014, 10:29 PM
I have done it before. I guess you can say the brass gets fire formed . I did manage to hit paper at two hundred yards though. I now label the boxes better and keep them separate .

osteodoc08
January 25, 2014, 10:37 PM
That poor 243 bullet just rattled down the bore.

rcmodel
January 25, 2014, 10:41 PM
No real danger.

Very low pressure as there was no bore seal to allow normal pressure to build behind the loose bullet.

rc

Poper
January 25, 2014, 11:19 PM
Won't hurt anything, but I bet the accuracy is not very good!
I can attest that the accuracy isn't minute of broadside of a barn. Litterally. I have converted .243 cases to .308 via fire forming as a first step - just because. I don't recommend it, though, as the brass at the mouth of the case gets very thin and the resulting .308 case doesn't usually last very long.

gdcpony
January 26, 2014, 10:05 AM
Good thing that there will only be one .308 based round around here soon. The LR-308 is being torn apart to become a .257 Roberts rifle. The .243 will be a .260 either later this year or next year.

Andrew Leigh
January 26, 2014, 01:35 PM
No real danger.

Very low pressure as there was no bore seal to allow normal pressure to build behind the loose bullet.

rc

There is no real danger in this instance but incorrect ammo in a rifle presents real danger. I have personally seen the result of incorrect ammo in a .270 Sauer. A brand new rifle was rendered scrap metal in one firing, as was the scope.

At times we focus on rifle and range safety and neglect ammunition, which should have its own safety regime.

Not teaching you to suck eggs but this should be a reminder to us all.

J_McLeod
January 26, 2014, 03:10 PM
I did that last week. I have two similar Savage Axis rifles. Thought I grabbed the .243 and got really frustrated shooting ten rounds trying to zero it. I couldn't hit the paper at 15 yards with a scope. I finally gave up, grabbed what I thought was the .308 and the ammo wouldn't chamber. No damage done to either rifle, just my pride.

matrem
January 26, 2014, 03:53 PM
Several years back I had a farmer call me with a g-hog problem. When I got to his farm for the initial "lowdown" of the place, he said; "I sure hope you're better at hittin em than me."

After asking what he was shooting, he pulled a fairly decent looking Savage 99 in .308 out of the closet & handed it to me, saying how he was lucky to hit even close to one from here to the gate. (50 yds or so)

Next was asking what ammo he was using, and a box of .243 100gr WWB came off of the top of the refrigerator.

IIRC, it only had three or four left in it.

d2wing
January 26, 2014, 06:02 PM
That is why I avoid rifles with similar round to what I already shoot.

jerkface11
January 26, 2014, 06:38 PM
That's nothing years ago someone posted on gunboards that they had fired a 7.62x39 in a .243. The cartridge is the perfect length to jam the bullet into the neck area of the chamber. It fired and locked his gun up solid. Somehow the action held the pressure and didn't blow up on him though.

Dr T
January 27, 2014, 12:29 PM
The most interesting of these stories I have come across was recounted by Wayne Zwoll in his book "Bolt Action Rifles."

Apparently, someone took an Ariska military surplus (6.5x50) to a "gunsmith" and had them rechamber it for 30-06. This was done--but the barrel was not rebored from .264 to 30-06. The owner sold this to a guy who shot it, went hunting and killed a deer with hit. He thought it was kicking a bit too hard, so took it to his gunsmith to be checked out. His smith discovered the oversight and sent it on to the NRA for testing.

See http://books.google.com/books?id=xm2xIevYNswC&pg=PA78&lpg=PA78&dq=arisaka+action+strength+30-06+NRA&source=bl&ots=cinf8GHbzv&sig=grMXa6jtCI74tJAQItvrKxzaN8E&hl=en&sa=X&ei=aJTmUoTjH-6uyAGqp4Eo&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=arisaka%20action%20strength%2030-06%20NRA&f=false

After reading this story, I stopped working about a smaller diameter bullet in a larger diameter bore.

It has, however, made me a bit wary of bubba'd guns.

Now, the 7.62x39 in the 243 is a bit worrysome...

MistWolf
January 27, 2014, 03:49 PM
P.O. Ackley tested firing 8mm bullets through a 30 caliber bore. He necked some '06 cases up to .323" and loaded up some 8mm-06 cartridges aqnd fired them through an '03. His findings were, that there was was a minimal rise in pressure if the neck was reamed to fit the larger bullets. The .32 caliber bullets simply swaged down to .30 caliber and the rifle shot fine. If the neck was left at normal dimension for the 30-06, there was a significant rise in chamber pressure

d2wing
January 27, 2014, 04:28 PM
I would think that would be risky with jacketed bullets. I just read about an Australian guy that sold Brno .22lr rifles with bores tapered to .20 cal. And .17 cal. Someone in the US was making barrels wth tapered bores. They were dropped when the .17 HMR came out. I don't want to be the guy that tries this. During WWll a British tester's gun blew up testing this concept on a centerfire rifle.

25cschaefer
January 27, 2014, 04:49 PM
We had a guy bring a brand new .243 he bought by the school after trying to sight it in. The 20th or so round left the rifle jammed with the case stuck in the chamber. As our tool room manager was checking it in the guy noticed a mistake on the paper, he had written 308. The guy ordered a .243, picked it up at a local store, the box said .243 and the serial number matched the box, he never thought to check the caliber.

win71
January 27, 2014, 10:15 PM
At least the case dimensions were semi the same. I had a couple of hunting partners that had Browning autos, one in 7m/m mag and one in .270. All rifles and ammo were kept on a floor/wall rifle rack in the hunting cabin. Anyway a .270 round got fired out of the 7m/m rifle. Buggered the action up to the point a gunsmith had to make repairs.

Also witnessed a 9m/m round fired out of a 40 cal S&W 4006. No problem except the fired case jammed on ejection.

LRShooting
January 27, 2014, 10:20 PM
I can attest that the accuracy isn't minute of broadside of a barn. Litterally. I have converted .243 cases to .308 via fire forming as a first step - just because. I don't recommend it, though, as the brass at the mouth of the case gets very thin and the resulting .308 case doesn't usually last very long.
Yea, I thought about how thin it would make the metal. If anything, it seems like it would make more since to neck down rather than up. Metal can always be removed if its too thick. But if there's a bunch of 243 lying around and there's no use for them, why not?

fragout
January 27, 2014, 10:25 PM
Interesting thread. Thanks to all who shared their experiences here regarding this matter.

I hadn't really thought about it all that much, as most of my rifle shooting revolves around 308 and 22lr.

Easy to tell apart to say the least.

This thread is a good reminder that one should never get complacent when it comes to safety.

I do have a few questions for those that had this happen.

A member above described how a 243 bullet "rattled" down the bbl of a 308 rifle.

Since this bullet is smaller in diameter than the rifle's bbl, could there be damage to the rifling?

1 rd most likely not?

2nd question.......

when the 243 shot was fired, was there any noticeable difference in how the rifle "felt".

I'm curious as to any possible indicators when the rd actually went off.

Deltaboy
January 27, 2014, 10:32 PM
Wow we got some BLESS people here.

Eb1
January 27, 2014, 10:46 PM
I would guess there was unburnt powder in the action and bore.

caribou
January 28, 2014, 06:44 AM
Being smack inna dab of "gun country" I've seen quite a few "cartridge interchanges' if it can be so called, and i'm often amaded at the strength of some guns, indeed.......

I bought an M-1917 from a fellow who still had it from WWII, whan the Militia was called up and then drafted into the Alaska Territorial Guard. Whenthe war ended, the Eskimo' kept their issued rifles and there used to be quite a few around.
Long story short, he was trying to clean the crap outta the chamber , as his grand son had borrowed it for a hunting trip and returned "broken". Then he asked if I had 50$ , and it would be mine, as he knew I liked collectables and would keep a 'junker' just to look at :D

After he left I poked a rod down the barrel and with some penatrateing oil, and a mallet, popped out a smushed up and what seemed to be three case necks, two with shoulders, compressed together. Hmmmm, very odd, but it cleaned up very well, and a check of it at the river had no cases sticking when fired, and accuratly at that.
Later, maybe weeks later i saw his grandson and asked him about the rifle, and he told me , somethingto the effect; 'My grandpas rifle is the best!! Its an old M-16 and it shoots Thirty Ought Six , Two Seventy AND Two Forty three!!!'

That eplained the three necks...~~LOL!!~~

All I said was "It sure does" with a chuckle. Crazy kid KNEW what he was doing......

Then theres when the wife came home with a matching Bolo a couple years back, with holster, tools and wooden stock, and had bought it as "A 9mm" the gun guy had test shot hisself. He said it was horrible in accuracy and quite "bucky". He told her that he hadnt shot it more than a couple magizines.
I tryed to pull the bolt back and it wouldnt budge, and took awhile to open , with some shakeing and such.
Looked down the barrel and saw a .30 caliber hole and asked "9mm?" a smile and nod said "yes", so I shook my head in disbealife...

9mm chambers
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/IMGP3372-1.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/edwardhailstone/media/IMGP3372-1.jpg.html)
but she dont jive at this end of the chamber....
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/IMGP3370.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/edwardhailstone/media/IMGP3370.jpg.html)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/IMGP3363.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/edwardhailstone/media/IMGP3363.jpg.html)

Apon dissasembly, this;

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/IMGP3362.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/edwardhailstone/media/IMGP3362.jpg.html)

Took it back to the smith, she did. He bought and fitted another locking pice, no charge, allthough not matching, still a good Broomhandle story. I think it sorta shows how so many survived Chinese use ~~LOL!!~~ since its no longer all matching, its a good shooter ......after a thourough cleaning, rifleing appeard and with 7.63 loads, shoots fine and accurate, according to the daughter who owns it now.

then there was the time some Hunters came in from the icepack and parked infront of our house, asking if i would loan them a rifle....sure, come on up, and they brought out a "new' Winchester M-70 in .308, with a"really bad scope" which was jacked in back with finishing nails to lift the mount and tape holding in place, as it had no open sights, they were desperatly trying to get the only hi-power'd rifle in the boat to work. Anywho, they told me the "ammo was wet' and only went off 1/2 the time. They unloaded it and brought it up to my house, as I had small screwdrivers that size and maybe a rifle they could barrow. Up there I untaped the scope and to my suprize "30-06" was deeply wackensmacked on the barrel......

a quick 20 yard walk to the Ocean side and a look in the bottom of the boat, I picked up these;
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/PICT0041.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/edwardhailstone/media/PICT0041.jpg.html)

30-06, .308, fired cases
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/PICT0046.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/edwardhailstone/media/PICT0046.jpg.html)

My wife had a .410 for many years and shot .44 magnums, .444, .45Colt, when nessessarry, as when she hunted Rabbits and Ptarmigan along the willows, a Mad Mom Moose or a Bear can easily appear and a .410 with bird shot isnt unfair enough, so a few in the pocket were nice. It had a THICK chamber end , as the reciver was big enough to swap to a 12 gauge barrel, so handleing the pressure was not a concern, and the little tip up wwas quit a usefull little gun.

J_McLeod
January 28, 2014, 08:04 AM
A member above described how a 243 bullet "rattled" down the bbl of a 308 rifle.

Since this bullet is smaller in diameter than the rifle's bbl, could there be damage to the rifling?

1 rd most likely not?

I don't think so. I would hope the rifles are more durable than that. I shot 7-8 rounds of .243 and as soon as I put .308 in the rifle I shot a group with all three rounds touching.

2nd question.......

when the 243 shot was fired, was there any noticeable difference in how the rifle "felt".

I'm curious as to any possible indicators when the rd actually went off.

Yes, but I didn't know it. This was my first time shooting the gun, or .243. I had heard it was a mild recoiling cartridge, but was still pleasantly impressed. When I shot .243 through the .243 rifle there was more recoil and noise.

GunNut
January 28, 2014, 10:58 AM
In my younger days, bought a .300 win mag and some ammo at the gun show. When I went to shoot it all went well and then I noticed less recoil on one shot. Upon further investigation I found that the box of .300win mag had some 7mm mag in it.

So while it fired fine, the recoil impulse was considerably less and accuracy non-existent.

Learned quickly to never buy ammo off a table at the gun show that wasn't new and to check rounds before they go in the magazine.

If you enjoyed reading about ".243 fired out of a .308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!