rusty guns

PDA

gmartin
January 26, 2014, 09:41 PM
I am new to this problem and I heard this is the best place to get answers..I recently picked up some rifles and a shot gun. That are in rusty condition. What is the best way to clean these or should I have a professional do it. These guns are in bad shape

If you enjoyed reading about "rusty guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 26, 2014, 09:56 PM
0000 Extra Fine steel wool & oil.

See this about that.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=633232&highlight=1890+winchester

rc

LAGS
January 30, 2014, 11:15 PM
@ gmartin
You didn't say if the internals were rusted like the trigger and internal springs.
If so , the gun needs to be disassembled and De Rusted.
If you are not familiar with how they come apart, and how to reassemble them properly, then leave that to the professionals.
But if it is just surface Rust Patina, and not Pitted, then the Oil and steel wool will work fine.
Pictures of the true condition will better help others advise you better.

carbine85
January 31, 2014, 11:43 AM
Flitz works pretty good. www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?avs|Manufacturer_1=FLITZ
I hand rub it into the metal to remove rust. It leaves the blue in place. Nothing will remove the pitting, that's in the steel. 0000 steel wool and oil as mentioned works well.
FYI - A patina should be left alone while active rust should be dealt with.

boom boom
February 8, 2014, 01:32 PM
I have used Blue Wonder paste which you can get at Brownells or Midway to fix up old rusty milsurps. Combines a penetrating type rust remover with thickener so it stays where it is. Follow directions explicitly and it works well. It will not fix pitting, nor will any other rust remover, but it will remove surface rust without stripping bluing.

If you enjoyed reading about "rusty guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!