carry for superblackhawk

PDA

blarby
January 28, 2014, 06:06 PM
Ok, i'll be the first one to admit that carrying a super blackhawk in 44 is not the most tactically or comfortably sound choice one could make..... but there is some reasoning behind it.

If I absolutely had to fight with a sidearm, I'd want to use the one I was the very best with,, wouldn't you ?

Every carry style and tool choice has its pros and cons.

This one certainly has its fair share of both.

Given the length of the weapon, i'm essentially limited to two practical carry options (unlessi m missing something); crossdraw or thigh.

I'd like to discuss both options, as ive had a chance to strap around in both, and see pros and cons in both rigs.

And in case it goes unnoticed.... this would be for OC, not CC.

If you enjoyed reading about "carry for superblackhawk" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
savit260
January 29, 2014, 08:20 PM
How long is the barrel? It it's 5 1/2" or under it shouldn't be all that hard to carry.

hardluk1
January 30, 2014, 07:04 AM
First , a single cowboy type pistol is about as far as it can be from practical for a personal defence handgun.
Second If you can't think your way around it being confortable its not good no matter how well you shot it.

The only way I can carry a handgun in the same weight class as a 5 1/2" and larger ruger is cross chest that works for hours and hours.
You might get buy with some shoulder holsters but mernickel makes a practical cross chest holster too for hunting trial use.

Sistema1927
January 30, 2014, 10:31 AM
Simply Rugged should have something that will work. I have one of their holsters for each of my SA Rugers, including a 7.5" Blackhawk .45.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/

hdbiker
January 30, 2014, 11:26 AM
Pistol Packaging in Minnesota makes a over the shoulder leather belt that is designed to use hip holsters on it. It's molded to conform to your body. It's 2 1/2 inches wide at the narrowest point. Add on cartrage loops can be added. I bought mine years ago because I have several hip holsters that are uncomfortable to hip carry anymore. It's great, one shoulder rig for as many hip holsters as you have. As I remember it cost 70 bucks with loops . hdbiker

AK103K
January 30, 2014, 10:54 PM
I got one of these off Ebay for my old 4 5/8" Blackhawk. This one isnt mine (dont have a pic of it yet), which is a little cleaner/nicer than you see here....

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vintage-Ruger-Blackhawk-4-5-8-leather-holster-Bianchi-Flap-Hunting-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/tUAAAOxyA9dSUgIj/%24T2eC16dHJHoFGlc!OkUmBSUgIjG1G!~~60_57.JPG

They were made by Bianchi for Ruger, and Ive seen them in different barrel lengths. Very well made, and fits the gun, well, like it was made for it. :)

theotherwaldo
January 31, 2014, 12:15 AM
-There is a third option that I used in the hinterlands of Southern Oregon. I put a sleeved holster crosswise in the bottom of my daypack/bookbag. Worked fine with my black powder guns, right up to Walker proportions. Distributed the weight and kept the gun out of harm's way on the trail.

blarby
February 1, 2014, 12:09 AM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions thus far.

Its a 7.5", with pachmyr grips.

As far as being comfortable.... I prefer comforting to comfortable. Part of the choice, and I'm ok with that.

owlhoot
February 5, 2014, 03:05 AM
I have a SBH as well as several Colts with the 7.5 barrels, so I have plenty of experience toting these guns but only for hunting purposes. I'll tell you what has worked for me.

A cross chest holster works fine. So does a quality shoulder holster. I find the cross chest a little more comfortable over the course of a day, both holsters permit you to sit behind the wheel of a vehicle comfortably. The seat belt interferes somewhat with the cross chest rig. No problem with the shoulder holster. The gun is easy to draw quickly from either rig, standing or sitting.

I had the Lawrence Leather Co. make a belt holster for me that swiveled like the motorcycle cop holsters from yesteryear. This allowed me to sit anywhere comfortably. And the rig placed the gun low enough so that it was easy to draw from the strong side. This rig was a real aggravation in heavy brush. I also purchased their Columbia River model with a half flap. Great holster but sadly no longer available.

I had a Roy Baker make me a cross draw holster that carried the gun very high so it was out of the way sufficiently to permit squatting or sitting and it concealed very well under a jacket or unbuttoned shirt. I wore this rig at 9:30 position so the plow handle grip did not protrude noticably. It you have a large tummy this will not work for you.

I taught SWAT tactics back in the mid 80's. We used thigh holsters. In that application they are okay, but I can't imagine anything more ridiculous looking for a civilian, especially if the holster contained a SBH.

What you chose to carry is your own business, but I agree with others who have suggested that there are more practical choices. I am sure that with a little practice, you would become equally skillful with a weapon better suited for the purpose.

hartcreek
February 5, 2014, 04:44 AM
One holster will never do. I picked up this V kinda holster that has a belt loop and a clip so that it can be used inside or outside the pants. I have been packing a Walker in this inside the pants holster today and it works fine but I also had one of my 38 S&Ws as a backup.

A blackhawk would be just as easy.

BobWright
February 12, 2014, 09:51 PM
You failed to tell us the barrel length. I carry a 4 5/8" Ruger .44 Special in this newly acquired Tom Threepersons holster:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/BobWright/Bob%20Armed/100_7126_zps41cdac6c.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/BobWright/media/Bob%20Armed/100_7126_zps41cdac6c.jpg.html)

While that holster is new, I've crried for the past three years in this rig:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/BobWright/Bob%20Armed/100_0161.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/BobWright/media/Bob%20Armed/100_0161.jpg.html)

Anything longer, say a 7 1/2", would be better carried on a separate gun belt.

BSA1
February 14, 2014, 03:10 PM
Here we go again. Folks with no experience critizing the gun instead of simply answering the question.

Hardluk1,

Baloney! You shouldn't criticize a firearm that you clearly don't know anything about.

Owl hoot,

What's not practical about the single action revolver? It's rugged, simple reliable design, easy to shoot one handed and is easy to pack. It worked well in the 19th and early 20th century and with the Ruger action safe with to carry with six rounds.

With those comments out of the way 7 1/2" of barrel is a lot to pack comfortably. I have a half- flap holster based on one I saw in the book "Packing Iron" made for 8" 1858 Remington C&B that carries well and the half flap does a good job of protecting the gun. I would also take a look at a Slim Jim crossdraw style. However I use both of these holsters on separate gun belts.

Also get rid of those Pachmyer grips and shoot it the way it is designed with smooth wood grips.

blarby
February 14, 2014, 06:03 PM
I have both sets, and it is considerably more comfortable to shoot full house loads with the pacs.

red rick
February 14, 2014, 07:57 PM
Take a look at Diamond D Custom . That is the only way I would carry a handgun that large .

Dirty Bob
February 15, 2014, 12:39 PM
Have you considered replacing the grips? The Pachmayr's for the large frame Rugers are big and can "grab" a cover garment. I like the original "rosewood" stocks from Ruger, or some thin, aftermarket stocks. You're not likely to be carrying full-power .44 Mag loads for CCW (more likely .44 Spl. or .44 Mag "midrange" loads), so a smaller, hard grip shouldn't be hard to control and should make concealment much easier.

I have smaller hands, so I just grab the single action, and it doesn't move much in recoil. Folks with larger paws seem to benefit from hooking or curling the little finger under the grip. If I do that, I can't reach the hammer! BTW, I'm shooting .45 Colt, with loads that are more-or-less equivalent to a slightly hot .45 ACP. Easy to control in a Blackhawk or New Vaquero. BTW, the New Vaq. with a 4-5/8" barrel is a lot easier to carry than a longer-barreled Blackhawk!

All my best,
Dirty Bob

jeepnik
February 15, 2014, 06:54 PM
First , a single cowboy type pistol is about as far as it can be from practical for a personal defence handgun.
Second If you can't think your way around it being confortable its not good no matter how well you shot it.

The only way I can carry a handgun in the same weight class as a 5 1/2" and larger ruger is cross chest that works for hours and hours.
You might get buy with some shoulder holsters but mernickel makes a practical cross chest holster too for hunting trial use.
If that's your thought process, you'd really take me to task for what I sometimes carry.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/Jeepnik/GUNS/HANDGUNS12-31-07-0006-1.jpg (http://s49.photobucket.com/user/Jeepnik/media/GUNS/HANDGUNS12-31-07-0006-1.jpg.html)

If you enjoyed reading about "carry for superblackhawk" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!