Glock Magazine Chop

iron horse
January 29, 2014, 04:47 AM
For my project, I need G 21sf magazines shorter than the standard 13 round versions yet longer than the G 30 11 round magazines. Does anyone know of a source that can shorten the length of Glock magazines?

I can get a semi auto pistol that fires both the 50gi and 45 acp by getting what I consider is the ultimate pistol, a Guncrafter Industries Model No. 3 1911 Commander type pistol ($3600 with both barrels) or a Glock 21sf with the Guncrafter 50gi conversion kit with a 1911 grip ergo treatment and grip "chop" ($1400). Going with the Glock for now.

The Guncrafter conversion kit 50gi mags are g21 45 mag length and Glock has only G21 or G30 length 45 acp mags. Therefore, if a G21 grip length is reduced, it is chopped to accept G30 mags. I want to shorten the G21 grip, but not that much. I also want both the 45acp and 50gi mag base plates to fit flush.

If anyone knows of a source of reducing the lenght of the Glock magazines, please let me know. Thanks.

Note: If no sources are know, I guess I could modify existing mag spacers on the market to match the modified and shorter grip length to the standard 50gi and G21 mag lengths? Or use a magazine extension on the shorter G30 magazines (G30 mags hold 6 50gi rounds)?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock Magazine Chop" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
January 29, 2014, 08:41 AM
I'd recommend spending that $1400 on Paxil and psychotherapy and getting that OCD under control! :evil:

iron horse
January 29, 2014, 08:54 AM
Yeah, drinking an entire pot of strong coffee early in the am, tends to make me that way.

Jim Watson
January 29, 2014, 09:12 AM
I looked at a half dozen different shops for you and saw nobody doing magazine length reductions. All short butt alterations I found were to the short factory magazine, in this case G21 to G30.

Robar will save the cut off piece of butt and mount it to a G21 magazine to give you an immediate choice between short and long... but not intermediate.

iron horse
January 29, 2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks for your efforts Watson. Since the 50gi fits in the G21 and G30 mags, maybe there is another glock model with a double stack mag that will accept the 50gi and 45acp.

iron horse
February 2, 2014, 10:04 PM
Can someone measure the length of a Glock 23 standard 13 round magazine and measure the length of a Glock 30 10 round magazine and tell me the measurements (from top to very bottom of mag where floor plate slides on, not to the spacer).

I need to know how much longer the G23 mag is. I am wanting a G21 grip length similar to a G23. Depending on the difference, I may go forward with the 21 grip chop to accept G30 10 round mags with thin floor plate. Thanks.

February 3, 2014, 01:02 AM
I don't have any advice to offer, I just wanted to mention how incredibly jealous I am that you're getting the .50 GI conversion kit.

iron horse
February 3, 2014, 08:13 AM
Dont be. If you already have a Glock 21 (or 20), its about $600 for the Guncrafter 50gi conversion kit. If you do not already have a Glock 21, you can get a complete frame for $250 + $600 for the Kit to get started.

I found several pics that might help. First pic shows a standard G21 on the left with a chopped G21 on the right, with a G30 10 round mag with the thick floor plate. If a G21 thin floor plate was used on the G30 mag, it looks like more grip material could remain on the grip.

The second pic shows a G21 with the G30 10 round mag with the G21 thin floor plate. Maybe I could get 3 fingers on the chopped grip?

The third pic shows the Glock 1911 ergo treatment I intend to get (without beaver tail).

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock Magazine Chop" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!