Beretta opening a plant in Tennessee

PDA

Slater
January 29, 2014, 12:31 PM
Presumably the Maryland plant will remain open:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/01/beretta-bringing-rd-facility-to.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta opening a plant in Tennessee" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hurryin' Hoosier
January 29, 2014, 12:40 PM
Good for Tennessee! ;)

Speedo66
January 29, 2014, 02:53 PM
Probably worried about future US import restrictions.

Mike J
January 29, 2014, 03:30 PM
Good for Tennessee. I was hoping the Georgia location might work out but if we can't get it at least it can bring some industry to our neighbor to the north.

oneounceload
January 29, 2014, 03:35 PM
Probably worried about future US import restrictions.

I doubt it - more likely they are fed up with the anti-gun attitude of Maryland and their "we don't care if they leave the state" mantra (even though the folks in Accokeek don't say that

MagnumDweeb
January 29, 2014, 03:52 PM
If the Maryland closes down I hope it's because the majority of their workers were able to relocate to Tennessee and those who didn't had a choice financially in whether or not to move. I don't want to see people lose their jobs but I don't want to see more and more money spent in anti-gun states.

If a gun company has to expand, have them do it where there product is wanted by both the people and politicians. Good on Beretta, they might one day see me buy one of their products NIB (You know like A M92 setup for nuclear 10mm loads).

TanklessPro
January 29, 2014, 03:57 PM
Since the South has become the New Detroit we might as well become the new Massachusetts too.
Congrats to Tennessee.

Old Fuff
January 29, 2014, 04:09 PM
Presumably the Maryland plant will remain open:

For now. Considering government contracts that have to be filled on time, combined with commercial backlogs, this is not the time to slow or stop production. But future developments in Maryland is doubtful. :uhoh:

rromeo
January 29, 2014, 05:24 PM
Virginia was on the short list until the wrong governor, Lt governor, and AG were recently elected.

SharpsDressedMan
January 29, 2014, 07:04 PM
"Tennessee, the patron state of shooting stuff.":D Mark Wahlberg, as Bob Lee Swagger in "Shooter".

hso
January 29, 2014, 08:32 PM
Excellent news!

TennJed
January 29, 2014, 09:17 PM
If the Maryland closes down I hope it's because the majority of their workers were able to relocate to Tennessee and those who didn't had a choice financially in whether or not to move. I don't want to see people lose their jobs but I don't want to see more and more money spent in anti-gun states.

There are a few unemployed folks in Tennessee also.

JTHunter
January 29, 2014, 09:50 PM
Nice going Volunteer State!

Gaucho Gringo
January 29, 2014, 10:43 PM
The home of Davy Crockett should be proud. He is probably smiling looking down from the hereafter.

cfullgraf
January 29, 2014, 11:23 PM
I just heard the announcement on the local Knoxville news program.

Good news.

Phaedrus/69
January 30, 2014, 05:29 AM
I'd like to see them start building Storm Carbines in the US! That would mean no 922r bull***** so you could do whatever you want without any compliance issues.

Solo
January 30, 2014, 05:52 AM
About time.

bannockburn
January 30, 2014, 06:38 AM
Good for Beretta, good for Tennessee, good for us.

Hometeached1
January 30, 2014, 09:35 AM
"Tennessee, the patron state of shooting stuff.":D Mark Wahlberg, as Bob Lee Swagger in "Shooter".
That's a good line and pretty good movie.

SC Shooter
January 30, 2014, 11:38 AM
Manufacturing is moving into the South by Industry. Autmobile, tires and now gun manufacturing just to name three. Perhaps we really are finally coming out of reconstruction.

returningfire
January 30, 2014, 12:02 PM
Good.

Midwest
January 30, 2014, 06:40 PM
Congratulations to Tennessee

carbuncle
February 1, 2014, 04:56 PM
Congrats for Tennessee, and I doubt that Maryland facility will be open in a couple of years...

Hometeached1
February 2, 2014, 12:18 PM
Manufacturing is moving into the South by Industry. Autmobile, tires and now gun manufacturing just to name three. Perhaps we really are finally coming out of reconstruction.
That's a good one!

HexHead
February 2, 2014, 01:06 PM
I suspect the MD facility will remain open at least until they fulfill the latest M9 order for the military.

MagnunJoe
February 2, 2014, 03:34 PM
Virginia was on the short list until the wrong governor, Lt governor, and AG were recently elected.
Just imagine, any state can be just a governor away from complicating things for a gun company. Imagine u spend a billion dollar to move and set up shop and 5 years later an anti governor or anti state gov. passes drastic laws, if u don't believe me look at Colorado.

MagnunJoe
February 2, 2014, 03:36 PM
Congrats for Tennessee, and I doubt that Maryland facility will be open in a couple of years...
I hope u r right. No need to reward anti states if the product u make can not even be bought where u make it.

xjsnake
July 22, 2014, 05:24 PM
Beretta has changed their mind and is moving ALL manufacturing to Tennessee.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/gallatin/#.U86085EIrnY.twitter

NOMI WASP
July 22, 2014, 05:41 PM
Score another one for the good guys!

barnbwt
July 22, 2014, 06:32 PM
Remington, now Beretta...Ya'll Yankees had better watch ya'selves and take care 'a ya' business, ya' hear?

"Political power grows from the barrel of a gun" --we should be so lucky :rolleyes:

TCB

Potatohead
July 22, 2014, 08:45 PM
Roll Tide!

I mean, congratulations Tennessee!

CoalTrain49
July 22, 2014, 09:15 PM
My question is, will they be able to chew tobacco while they build them Euro style PCC's.

That would weigh heavy on my mind being a TN country person with no unions and such.

Ignition Override
July 23, 2014, 01:11 AM
How many jobs will be lost in that area of MD whenever Beretta completes its contracted work with the DoD etc?

rwehnau
July 23, 2014, 01:51 AM
Wonder why the HQ is not moving?

barnbwt
July 23, 2014, 09:10 AM
Bosses don't want to have to move ;)

TCB

InkEd
July 23, 2014, 09:15 AM
A proud moment for us here in Tennessee.

Once the Gallatin plant is at full production, they will able to produce almost as many guns we need to stop all the crime in Memphis. LOL

Ky Larry
July 23, 2014, 11:14 AM
Good for Tennessee.Y'all like to shoot almost as much as we do. Now all you need is a football coach for the Vols. :D

Willie Sutton
July 23, 2014, 11:35 AM
"How many jobs will be lost in that area of MD whenever Beretta completes its contracted work with the DoD etc?"

100% of them. The production facility is likely spelled out in the contract and the government inspectors are assigned accodringly. If/when they can adjust the terms of the contract they will. It would be very poor economics to do otherwise.

Willie

hso
July 23, 2014, 11:40 AM
Wonder why the HQ is not moving?

For the same reason businesses that want government contracts have HQs, or at least major offices, near DC.

hso
July 23, 2014, 11:43 AM
How many jobs lost in MD? Probably somewhere between 200 and 300 since the new facility will take on all the production currently planned.

As important, the employees that decide to move with the company will leave an even bigger hole in the MD economy and tax base.

If I were a 2A activist organization I'd be working to facilitate as many of those employees making the transition out of MD to TN in as pleasant a way possible.

Being right on a major recreational lake, a short drive to Nashville, half a day to the GSMNP, facing lower property prices, property taxes, and no state income tax a good case could be made for helping them relocate.

CoalTrain49
July 23, 2014, 05:40 PM
As important, the employees that decide to move with the company will leave an even bigger hole in the MD economy and tax base.

A rough calculation shows about $1m in lost state tax revenue from those 300 jobs every year. Some of those employees won't move and will become unemployment recipients thus reversing revenue paid in to benefits paid out. MD had 0% GDP growth last year and is being hammered by fed budget cuts. I wonder if the governor has read any economic news lately.

Onward Allusion
July 23, 2014, 05:44 PM
Very good news! :)

P5 Guy
July 24, 2014, 03:20 PM
When will Smith & Wesson leave Massachusetts?

oneounceload
July 24, 2014, 04:03 PM

They DO have facilities in Maine, blue state that it is.........

CoalTrain49
July 24, 2014, 07:21 PM

When the state quits giving them millions of dollars in tax breaks to stay. Sooner or later the voters in MA will realize that the politicians are working both sides of the street and they will be out of office. Have you watched S@W stock the last 2 years? It looks like have plenty of operating capital. ;)

stevek
July 24, 2014, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE]Virginia was on the short list until the wrong governor, Lt governor, and AG were recently elected./QUOTE]

As was West Virginia. The letter from Beretta declining to relocate to WV mentioned our turncoat Senator Manchin by name as part of the reason.

Thanks Joe! :cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta opening a plant in Tennessee" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!