Should a folding knife blade be centered in the handle?

PDA

85win
January 29, 2014, 09:07 PM
I just but a 'new' Benchmade 530 Pardue. A very nice folder but I noticed one thing and I don't know if it is normal or not. When closed the blade is not centered in the handle. The tip of the blade doesn't touch the handle when closing but is close. Is this normal and should I even be worried about it? I don't know much about knives.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Should a folding knife blade be centered in the handle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ohen Cepel
January 29, 2014, 09:13 PM
When closed it shouldn't touch the side. However, it may not be centered. You could send it back to Benchmade and they may be able to line it up better.
If it were mine, I would use it and not worry about it.

You may be able to tighten up the pivot screw on it a tad also.

rcmodel
January 29, 2014, 09:16 PM
You can usually just grab the blade in one hand and the handle in the other and 'flex' the handle whichever way it needs to go.

The spacer & screws holding it together get a little whopper-jawed from setting on them or something.

Try it, it usually works.

rc

ahtoxa
January 29, 2014, 09:29 PM
It doesn't have to be centered, but I expect it to be. I interpret it as a sign of good manufacturing tolerances and it typically signifies a quality product.

That said, my Buck 110 wasn't 100% centered and it's a quality knife, so take it with a grain of salt.

Edit: did you actually buy it used? I question because of the way you said 'new'. If the knife has been used, the blade can bend very slightly during use, as the user presses on it during the cutting job. In this case, follow what RC said above and just unbend it slightly.

rcmodel
January 29, 2014, 09:35 PM
The blade isn't bent.
Benchmade blades do not bend.

The handle spacer / screws have got tweaked slightly from side pressure on the handle is all.

rc

hso
January 30, 2014, 08:41 AM

It should be perfectly aligned down the middle, but as long as it doesn't touch and doesn't creep over time to touch it is typical of some manufacturers.

Madcap_Magician
January 30, 2014, 09:50 AM
Undesirable, but not the end of the world in a factory knife as long as there isn't any side-to-side play and the blade edge doesn't contact the handle at any point.

85win
January 30, 2014, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys--that really helps me out a lot.

The reason I said 'new' is because it was advertised as NIB when I bought it, but then when I looked more closely at it I saw that a couple of the torx screws had had a wrench in them (missing a tiny bit of finish). That plus the blade not being centered, and me paying a premium price for it (it is a limited edition model) I just wanted to be extra sure nothing major was going on.

I think I'm going to enjoy it now, thanks!

Jeff

Ron James
January 30, 2014, 04:47 PM
:D Got me curious, something I never bothered even looking at. I made a quick check of half dozen knives, different makes ( including Benchmade ) and out of 6, 5 had the blade off center.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should a folding knife blade be centered in the handle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!