Pump shotgun legal in 50 states

PDA

MagnunJoe
January 29, 2014, 11:56 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the typical stock pump action shotgun one of the few guns that are legal (without modifications) in all 50 states and ghetto cities like Chicago, Washington, Detroit?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pump shotgun legal in 50 states" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Triangle 66
January 30, 2014, 02:35 AM
It depends. In New York state it is an illegal assault weapon if it holds more than 5 rounds.

bushmaster1313
January 30, 2014, 09:13 AM
In New York state it is an illegal assault weapon if it holds more than 5 rounds.

I guess we should haul in Charles Augusto Jr. and his Model 12.

http://www.jacksnewswatch.com/2009/08/14/harlem-store-owner-shoots-4-robbers-killing-2/

MagnunJoe
January 30, 2014, 09:53 AM
Wait, hold on, how can it be an assault weapon IF you have to pump the action after each round, meaning it's not a semi auto?

oneounceload
January 30, 2014, 09:55 AM
Because it holds more than one round, is made of metal and wood (or the dreaded black plastic), and it goes bang scaring kittens and puppies

MikeJackmin
January 30, 2014, 07:34 PM
A pump-action shotgun is not an assault weapon in NY.

Also, I think NJ requires a permit first, but I'm not sure.

Frostbite
January 30, 2014, 08:47 PM
You guys make me smile with that stuff. Up here, you need a permit for any firearm. And you have to prove your innocence and good intents before they let you have one. Five persons must write down their signatures on your application form and your wife or ex-wife (for five years) must agree. But the pump shotguns are not considered assault weapons.

MagnunJoe
January 30, 2014, 10:19 PM
So even inner city residents in Chicago, Detroit or DC can just go to a gun shop and pick one up without needing a license or permit?

Sam1911
January 30, 2014, 10:50 PM
You know, you can always go to www.nra-ila.org and look up these things by state.

And the answer, broadly speaking, is no.

car15bill
January 30, 2014, 11:59 PM
what makes you think Detroit is some sort of hotbed of gun conrol laws? I grew up in Mich., and its a pretty pro gun state. last I knew, magnaport was out of the Detroit area, and gun rag writer Pat Sweeny is from the same area.

MagnunJoe
February 1, 2014, 12:59 AM
what makes you think Detroit is some sort of hotbed of gun conrol laws? I grew up in Mich., and its a pretty pro gun state. last I knew, magnaport was out of the Detroit area, and gun rag writer Pat Sweeny is from the same area.
Maybe so but most big cities make up their own laws piggy-back them -on top of state laws- just like Chicago does.

Snarlingiron
February 3, 2014, 06:09 PM
Texas, ah luv yew!

pezo
February 3, 2014, 10:55 PM
Detroit is a violent city. I live a short driving distance from there. But at least you can lawfully carry there. Their are no semi auto or mag capacity restrictions at all here and NO local governments can add gun control laws on top of state law per state law. For being called a blue state we are pretty pro-gun. Not like in Chicago or DC. That all being said in Detroit anyways you still have to look out for car jackers and ak-47 wielding drug gang members. That's all. Oh and a broke city and police force. Poorly run 9-11 and..... and....

If you enjoyed reading about "Pump shotgun legal in 50 states" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!