Firing pin for M48

PDA

Bodangley
January 30, 2014, 10:31 AM
Any know where I can find a firing pin for a Yougo M48 Mauser??????:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Firing pin for M48" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HankC
January 30, 2014, 07:29 PM
Hard to find but you can make one from large ring mauser firing pin by cutting a slot.

LAGS
January 30, 2014, 10:27 PM
Firing pins on mausers or I should say the TIP of the firing pin is easily broken if you disassemble the firing pin assembly by pressing down on the tip of the firing pin to compress the spring.
That is why a lot of Mausers have a Hole thru the stock for a Bolt Disassembly tool. Then you are putting the pressure on the Stop collar when you compress the spring, Not the TIP.
Sorry, But I am fresh out of Yugo firing pins.
It seems like several people have got all the pins I had, because they disassembled the bolt by putting pressure on the point of the firing pin, and that is how they thought it was done.

Bodangley
January 31, 2014, 09:22 AM
I picked up a M48 for cheeps in good condition, got it home checked it out seemed good so went to the range put in a round pulled the trigger non firing pulled out round tried again sane result ummm looked at the round primer was not hit took the gun home dissembled the bolt front half of pin was missing I guess cheeps is cheeps !!!!!!

1948CJ2A
January 31, 2014, 09:32 AM
I picked up a M48 for cheeps in good condition, got it home checked it out seemed good so went to the range put in a round pulled the trigger non firing pulled out round tried again sane result ummm looked at the round primer was not hit took the gun home dissembled the bolt front half of pin was missing I guess cheeps is cheeps !!!!!!

Yep. Those type of things seem to happen occasionally with milsurp stuff. Years ago I bought a Yugo SKS, took it to the range, and fired it. It would fire but the gas system would not reload the next round, thus no semi-auto functionality. I took it home and disassembled it and found the gas piston was missing.

LAGS
January 31, 2014, 06:43 PM
There is a way you can have a gunsmith make a New firing Pin Tip.
They use a Lathe to drill a hole in the end of the firing pin, and then silversolder a piece of Piano wire of the proper diameter into the hole and then cut it to the proper length.
I have had to do it a few times on Odd Ball Rifles and even a Mauser ot two.

But the pin you found was probably a left over from replacing someones firing pin that had gotten broken by improper disassembly.
You should also Always check the Firing pin protrusion when you replace a firing pin.
On a Mauser , it needs to be between .055 to .065 " to function properly.
They make Gages for checking that dimension.
I checked , and I still have one with a broken Tip from a friend who broke his durring disassembly by placing the Tip on a Block of wood and not the Stop Collar.
Too bad I don't have access to a Lathe, or I could fix it up for you.

The Misic wire fix is NOT the Proper way to fix the firing pin, but it works in a Pinch untill you can find the correct part.
It is also listed in "Gunsmithing Kinks Volume 2", so it is not my idea or invention.

paintballdude902
January 31, 2014, 08:34 PM
checked numrich?

nathan
February 1, 2014, 08:58 PM
ebay.com

jim in Anchorage
February 1, 2014, 09:07 PM
There's a thread here on making them from nails.

HankC
February 1, 2014, 09:22 PM
Found the pictorial instruction on how to make a M48 firing pin from standard M98 large ring firing pin. 98 firing pin is easy to find and relatively cheap.

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/mauser_reference.html
http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/images/fp_48_conversion.jpg

LAGS
February 1, 2014, 10:22 PM
@ Hank C
They forgot to mention that you should extend the Flats on the sides of the pin also to make sure you dont have limited rearward travel for things like Bolt firing Pin Disassembly.
And the Taper on the Pin tip should be checked to make sure the 98's pin taper is not to wide to fit the inside taper of the Yugps Bolt body and restrict forward movement.
But the 98's pin will work, and is best modified on a Lathe, rather than with a Dremmel tool.

jaytex1969
February 3, 2014, 12:23 AM
Hank, thanks a million for your post with the link. I've been looking for mauser firing pin dimensions for a few months. You Google-Fu is appreciated!

If you enjoyed reading about "Firing pin for M48" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!