Looking for a hunting knife that has a partially serrated

PDA

jrdolall
January 30, 2014, 12:29 PM
blade AND a gut hook. Do any of you knife aficionados know of a medium priced knife that fits this description?

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a hunting knife that has a partially serrated" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam Cade
January 30, 2014, 12:36 PM
What sort of money are you thinking?

jrdolall
January 30, 2014, 12:41 PM
I'm not really a "knife" guy and am just looking at one for deer/hog cleaning and in my backpack type of work. With that said I don't have a particular price in mind but I would say less than $100. If I really liked what I saw I would pay more.

I haven't done a lot of research other than just looking when in the big box stores on occasion and have never seen one that fits the description.

rcmodel
January 30, 2014, 02:43 PM
Not a lot out there with both a gut hook and partial serrations.
Here's one I found, but I know nothing about the knife.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/boker-usa-magnum-hunters-hook-fixed-blade-gut-hook-knife-w-sheath.html

rc

jrdolall
January 30, 2014, 02:50 PM
RC that is certainly in the ballpark so thanks. Unless their ratings are just awful I may get one and chance the low price For $30 I won't be expecting a lot though.

hso
January 30, 2014, 03:57 PM
a medium priced knife

Define the range you consider to be medium priced, please.

jrdolall
January 30, 2014, 04:05 PM
With that said I don't have a particular price in mind but I would say less than $100. If I really liked what I saw I would pay more.

I'm not looking for a collector grade uber-knife. Money really isn't the object but I wouldn't be willing to pay more than $100 just because of a name brand or perceived value. As I stated I would like a functional knife that meets the criteria. If all that's available is $250 knives then I will do like I have for the past 40 plus years and live with it. The link that RC provided is about what I am looking for as far as functional appearances. Folding would be okay as well and I have no problem with a custom knife.

hso
January 30, 2014, 04:07 PM
I'd be careful with the Boker Magnum quality. If they won't say exactly what the steel is then you should assume it is pretty low grade.

A quick look through Knifecenter doesn't provide a knife in the $50-$100 range with all the characteristics you're looking for. http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?wodescriptiondatarq=Gut&a=fixed&brand=&min_price=50&max_price=100&country=&&s=1

Even looking through Outdoor Edge's website doesn't provide a guthook with partial serrations (and the owner is an avid hunter and pretty clever and openminded about what to manufacture).

Sorry.

Are the serrations a critical part of the requirements?

JHansenAK47
January 30, 2014, 05:02 PM
http://www.leatherman.com/7.html#start=5
The leatherman charge TTI has a gut hook on the serrated blade and separate blade with a straight edge.
http://www.leatherman.com/6.html#start=4
Same with the ALX.

If you like the leatherman keep in mind the gut hook is a premium add on. So similar items like the AL don't have a gut hook.

AJumbo
January 30, 2014, 07:45 PM
A quick search of Evilbay turned up offerings from Boker, Bear & Sons, and a pile of junk, all on the first page. My search terms were "serrated guthook knife."

jrdolall
January 31, 2014, 09:54 AM
I can do what I've been doing. I MAY give one of them a try but may not. As I said earlier it was just something I had thought about and was thinking maybe one of you guys had seen one. I do use both a serrated and a gut hook but it would be nice to have the combination in one knife.
Thanks for the help.

Coyote3855
January 31, 2014, 01:28 PM
Might check over at Blade Forums. Those guys are very smart on knives.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a hunting knife that has a partially serrated" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!