what percent of your guns are modified?

PDA

Jrob24
February 2, 2014, 10:29 PM
I just realized that all of my guns have been modified. What about yours? By my definition I consider new grips or painting the front sight to count as "modified" in addition to other stuff such as: new stock, trigger, recoil pad, etc..

If you enjoyed reading about "what percent of your guns are modified?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rswartsell
February 2, 2014, 10:32 PM
20%

chris in va
February 2, 2014, 10:49 PM
About 3/4.

DSAPT9
February 2, 2014, 11:08 PM
Pretty much all my rifles have been altered and most of my pistols. I say 80% of what I have has been upgraded.

deadin
February 2, 2014, 11:16 PM
About 6%. Tthe mods are non original target sights, D&T for a scope and a red dot.

HKGuns
February 2, 2014, 11:20 PM
0%, I adapt to them, they are all different. I am not counting adding optics to rifles.

silicosys4
February 2, 2014, 11:24 PM
If things like new grips and sight paint count, then almost every one of my handguns is custom, lol

WC145
February 3, 2014, 07:57 AM
I chose 80%, but to me, new grips or painted sights aren't "modifications", by setting the bar so low you're calling every gun that somebody swapped the grips on modified. That's like saying your car is a hot rod because you put wider tires on it.

I consider a modified gun one that has had action or reliability work at the minimum, fitting and adjustments that actually affect the performance of the weapon over stock. And, IMO, a customized gun is one that has been modified to a much greater degree - internal parts changed, metal work done, refinished, etc - so that the gun is physically different from stock. Of course, the sky's the limit when it comes to customizing.

I have guns that are modified and guns that are full on customs, what I don't have many of is factory stock guns. I prefer mine to be set up a certain way, especially handguns, so almost everything I buy ends up at the gunsmith for a bit of a work over.

mljdeckard
February 3, 2014, 08:24 AM
They can vary from being a sporterized Enfield 1917 and ARs I hand built to a Ruger Mk I that is bone stock, and a Para SF-45A from which I dropped the flgr.

Carl N. Brown
February 3, 2014, 08:51 AM
I usually add sling swivels and slings to sporting guns that don't have them.
My modern handguns have grips that fit me (Pachmyer or Hogue). On one shotgun with excess length of pull (for my arms), I shortened the stock by an inch to fit me when wearing a winter coat. My Marlin 336C I added both a Williams peep and a Weaver scope rail and used its dovetail rear sight on another Marlin (fillled the dovetail with a blank).

I have a few military pistols and rifles that I have kept as-issued and two I replaced the "sporter stocks" with as-issued stocks.

Most of my mods have been practical (at least to me to me). But not always. I bought a used Explorer II AR7 pistol and found it clumsy as a pistol; I went totally "space gun" on it one bored winter with used stuff in my parts box: AR7 rifle scope mount, unused long eye relief pistol scope, .22 laser sight, sling swivels and shoulder carry sling. Come to think of it, it could work as a game foraging gun for sniping rabbits and squirrels. Mostly it's a joke to me.

mdauben
February 3, 2014, 10:18 AM
If you ignore adding or changing sights, none. I do plan on doing some work on my Ruger 10/22 rifle and my Ruger Mk III pistol, but I have put it off so far as there is not actually anything wrong with them as they are. It's mostly an urge to tinker.

Comrade Mike
February 3, 2014, 10:30 AM
One or two. I'm mainly a milsurp collector and I have a deep seeded hatred for bubba and his hack saw and polymer stock.

Deanimator
February 3, 2014, 10:33 AM
Virtually EVERY firearm with which I compete or carry for protection has been modified in some way.

My M1911s have 4lb. trigger pulls and aftermarket grips.
My 3" S&W Model 65 has aftermarket grips and a trigger job. I painted the back of the front sight orange.
Both of my Glocks have 3.5lb. connectors, cut rifling barrels for lead bullets, have had the "$0.25 trigger job", and the Glock 22 has a Pachmayr adjustable rear sight.
My Browning Hi Power has had the magazine safety removed, and has a Pachmayr adjustable rear sight.
My Smith 36 has had a trigger job and has aftermarket grips.
ALL of my bullseye pistol guns are modified, most them heavily.

When I bought it, my Glock 22 had the abominable "New York Trigger". Unlike the NYPD, I'm accountable for where all of my rounds go and don't have a union rep, or an unlimited budget for defense attorneys, settlements and judgments. I can't afford to have a fifty pound trigger pull that not only deludes me into thinking I can't shoot myself, but that keeps me from accurately shooting real threats instead of bystanders.

hardluk1
February 3, 2014, 10:42 AM
I voted 70% but it could be higher than that. with a double arm load of them all by 3 have had at least some smoothing and stoning to trigger groups with some built of parts or full on customs. .

Arkansas Paul
February 3, 2014, 11:25 AM
I only have one that you would consider modified.
I have an old Savage 20-gauge pump that was in rough condition when I got it. I refinished the stock, painted the metal a flat black and added an aftermarket buttpad because god only knows what happened to the one that came on it.

I really don't consider it modified, but it has a new finish and buttpad.

Ks5shooter
February 3, 2014, 01:12 PM
Does paint count?
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j278/ks5shooter/Picture050.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j278/ks5shooter/Picture047.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j278/ks5shooter/Picture074.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j278/ks5shooter/Picture075.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j278/ks5shooter/untitled.jpg

mavracer
February 3, 2014, 01:35 PM
Just guessing I'd say at least 70% have something done to them.

Teachu2
February 3, 2014, 02:20 PM
Working on them to improve fit, function, and/or finish is half the fun! Most of my rifles have added optics at a minimum, many have aftermarket triggers and/or barrels, some have different stocks. My shottys are close to stock. My handguns vary from fully modded 1911s to box-stock Glocks. Most of my CCW guns are completely original, but a completely original Baer SRP isn't exactly the same as a completely original Colt Series 80....

thump_rrr
February 3, 2014, 05:54 PM
My late fathers italian shotgun isn't modified, neither are my 2 HK pistols, 1911's, AR's, and rifles all are.

medalguy
February 3, 2014, 07:44 PM
Only a couple have had anything at all done to them. I'm like Comrade Mike, I like original and un-bubba-ed guns. I have a 1911A1 that I put Pachmayr grips on it because I carry it most days and want to save the original grips.

I don't knowingly buy customized guns because I never know what was done to them and how that work will affect their safety and proper functioning.

hey_poolboy
February 3, 2014, 07:53 PM
80% I'd say. I haven't altered my wife's 10/22, and I have a stock 870. All 1911's get modded, and my 20yr. old 10/22 is like a test dummy. I've done mods to most everything else that I can think of. Brought a new rifle home tonight that will probably stay the same except for stock fit mods.

I enjoy making alterations to make a weapon perform or fit the way I prefer. That's half the fun!

will11
February 3, 2014, 09:09 PM
20% I'M going to guess. The 1911's AR-15 and Ruger 10/22 TakeDown. Like most folks I would guess.

flphotog
February 3, 2014, 09:14 PM
I said 100% but in some cases that is a minor as a little polishing of the trigger components. I just remembered, I should have said a little lower. I do have an LCP that I haven't touched but that's only because I rarely carry it and only shoot it 3 or 4 times a year.

Strahley
February 3, 2014, 09:52 PM
I'd have to say about 95% of every gun I've owned, own, or will own in the future will have at least one thing modified on them, even if it's something small like night sights or different grips. I don't care to "rice out" my guns, but there are tasteful modifications that can enhance their function. The only ones I know for sure I would never change would be something historic like a WWII issued 1911. Those deserve to remain untouched

herrwalther
February 4, 2014, 01:35 AM
I would say 1%. I added a Pachmyr grip to my XD and I touch up the stock white paint on the sights when it gets damaged. All my long guns have ammo carriers on the buttstock. My most modified weapon is my only 12ga. Replaced the stock, sights, sling points, pistol grip, added a rail section, and added a side saddle.

Indigo22
February 4, 2014, 06:50 AM
Ok, I have one gun that has not been "modified"... well almost, I had to stone the trigger and hammer so it would move to the half cocked position when dropping the lever... ie work properly. It is an 1889 Stevens Favorite .22lr that may have had those components replaced a long time ago as they show wear in this firearm. If this counts as a mod then I'd have to switch my answer to 100%. What can I say ... I like to tinker.

Midwest
February 4, 2014, 07:08 AM
All stock

Deltaboy
February 4, 2014, 07:31 AM
50% of mine got optics or Other things.

tuj
February 4, 2014, 07:55 AM
all of mine have had something done to them, some extensively.

bannockburn
February 4, 2014, 03:34 PM
I'm going to say probably around 70 to 75% of my guns are modified in some way from their original stock configuration.

WestKentucky
February 4, 2014, 06:27 PM
As others have commented...the definition of modified is vague. Does my custom k98 count? Yes. Does my rem 11-48 with choke tube count? Probably. Does my Rem11 count which came to me rusted up and barely functioning that has had every internal piece polished to factory finish or better but it's still a ragged old shooter on the outside...maybe. How about a single six with poor boys trigger job? I'm guessing half, but if scopes and such count it's 90%

dbp
February 4, 2014, 06:35 PM
100%

Shield - Apex trigger kit, XS Big Dot sights and Talon grips

Kahr P380 - XS Big Dots and Talon grips

Ankeny
February 4, 2014, 06:38 PM
All of them. Too numerous to mention.

StrutStopper
February 4, 2014, 08:46 PM
I lied. I said 10% but then I started thinking about it and actually have more modifications than I originally thought. Its more like 30%.

MyGreenGuns
February 4, 2014, 09:08 PM
75% are configured differently than they left the factory.

Only 1 has internal mod.
Only 1 has been irreversibly modified.
Only 1 was modified by someone other than myself.

I counted ANY difference from stock including optics, recoil pads and grip sleeves.

Tony k
February 4, 2014, 09:17 PM
I put 10% but I only do it when things break
I broke the foreend on my mossberg pump. Put an aftermarket one on as a replacement.

The stock on my Savage 270 warped and started messing with my trigger, so I replaced the stock on that one too.

I prefer them stock mainly because I'd rather spend my money on reloading components.

doc2rn
February 4, 2014, 09:38 PM
I have re-barreled 2 of my handguns to 3" configuration
added Hogue grips to 2 others
And changed the optics on 3 rifles.
I am at 10%

chicharrones
February 5, 2014, 09:14 AM
Does paint count?
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j278/ks5shooter/untitled.jpg

I'd say all of those count. Did you do that yourself? :)

Coyote3855
February 5, 2014, 09:39 AM
I said only 20%, mostly firearms modified for competition in IPSC and SASS. I have a fair number of mil surps and collector guns which make up most of the other 80%.

UpperAtmosphere
February 5, 2014, 11:17 AM
Probably about 80%. I just gotta mess with most of 'em.

There are a couple that I won't be modifying from stock, and a couple I won't be modifying because they had professional work done to them and my WECSOG diploma isn't going to let me improve upon what they have done.

Red Wind
February 5, 2014, 11:22 AM
About 30%. Mainly grips,porting,sights and action jobs.

scythefwd
February 5, 2014, 06:14 PM
6/7 modified, 1 with a spring job, 2 with trigger jobs, 1 with mag disconnect removed, 2 with new stocks/grips (yes, that's more than 5... some guns have multiple)

M2 Carbine
February 6, 2014, 09:50 AM
I would guess about 70%.

Several dozen guns have Red Dot sights, lasers, laser/lights or scopes.

I remove magazine disconnects from every pistol where it's not too much trouble to get rid of it.

On dozens of magazines I replace the magazine base, spring or follower to allow another round or two.

Some guns have the grips replaced.

Some guns, like my 17 Makarovs, have the recoil springs replaced with stronger springs.

I've installed rails on several pistols to allow the use of lasers or laser/lights.

madFive
February 6, 2014, 04:08 PM
All of mine are modified in some way, either by myself, by the gun's previous owners, by my local gun-smiths, or by sending them back to the manufacturer for factory work. I would guess that around 80% of mine haven't had the manufacturer's warrantees voided at this point. :cool:

tnxdshooter
February 6, 2014, 06:52 PM
100%

justice06rr
February 6, 2014, 10:32 PM
At least 50% of mine are modified, usually because it came that way or because I have to modify it to fit my needs.

The only ones not modified are my CCW pistol and a Mosin M44

theotherwaldo
February 8, 2014, 12:17 AM
About a third of my guns have permanent modifications, another third have reversible mods like aftermarket sights or buttpads, and a few were made from kits or components.

If you enjoyed reading about "what percent of your guns are modified?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!