Would you consider selling an unused "virgin" gun for one that uses cheap ammo?

PDA

Ignition Override
February 3, 2014, 02:25 AM
This is what the English might call a cheeky or insolent question. To me it even appears somewhat subversive. Bought the M-1 Aug 31st at the Anniston CMP. Frankly I enjoy Having the Garands and handling them, but seldom want to use them. Maybe the ammo at the earlier price of .50/rd. is a turn off. This notion for now is only something to contemplate.

This second Garand is so nice that the idea of trying it seems uncouth, and I have almost No interest in perforating a Shoot N See target-with any gun these days.
My only real fun is shooting the pair of SKS and sometimes the Enfields or FR8s at small objects such as plastic bottles.

With 3,000 rds. of CMP ammo at .50/rd. (now .60), this pretty rifle seems too pricey and nice to use converting small concrete chunks into colorful dust, or sinking small objects.
An AK-74 with ammo at .17/rd. could be very economical in the long term-if enough is bought before a spark lights the next unexpected 'panic keg'.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you consider selling an unused "virgin" gun for one that uses cheap ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
silicosys4
February 3, 2014, 02:33 AM
Well, I don't know what your goals are, but you have enough there to pick up something semi-automatic in 7.62x54r, a nice optic, and plenty of ammo. If you don't enjoy owning the Garand, aren't concerned about keeping it in your collection, and have no one to share it with, imo you might as well trade or sell it for something you would get more enjoyment from.

USAF_Vet
February 3, 2014, 02:34 AM
What is this 'cheap ammo' you speak of?

And this concept of an unused gun is also unfamiliar.

Ignition Override
February 3, 2014, 02:43 AM
My shooting began mostly in late '07 (Mosin Nagants), and I missed the main good deals on surplus ammo. It seems that any centerfire ammo selling Now at .17/round is an excellent value, compared to ammo the last few years.
Clearly the value of a Service Grade Special far exceeds what a decent AK-74 should sell for, and I would never consider a straight trade.

As for Garands, from the eighth grade in 1964 I was so impressed by my heroes with M-1s on the tv show "Combat" and in numerous movies.
Maybe waiting until summer is the best way to begin to reach a decision. With little interest and even less patience for 'bench rest' shooting, .50/rd. seems a bit of overkill for basic fun plinking, just to tear up small objects.

Patience might be the best virtue here. My son is 25 and is seldom exposed to guns. Even though he has never lived with guns, maybe more gradual exposure could produce the chance of a 'gun bug' in the long term.

rskent
February 3, 2014, 04:15 AM
Or, it might be time to look into reloading for that M1. :D

Deanimator
February 3, 2014, 08:05 AM
No, because other than self-defense ammunition and .22lr, I don't buy ammunition.

I couldn't afford to shoot without reloading in 1980. Shooting hasn't gotten any cheaper.

RFMan
February 3, 2014, 11:30 AM
Unused, "virgin" gun?

The answer is yes.

That's why I don't have any of those! :D

BSA1
February 3, 2014, 04:46 PM
Sure. Living on a budget means trading and selling for a different one.

But I wouldn't throw in the towel because of ammo costs. Inventories are on the rise and retailers may be offering big discounts to move ammo off of the shelf.

Ignition Override
February 4, 2014, 12:17 AM
With approx. 10,000 rds. of centerfire ammo at home, this is not enough to last through retirement.
Thanks for your perspectives. Will wait a few months before seriously considering this.

rskent: Good idea. There are about 500 used 30-06 cases and some 30-06 dies etc in the 'hobby room'.

TRX
February 5, 2014, 10:58 AM
You mean "store bought" ammo?

The only store bought I buy is .22LR, and I have a sufficient stock of guns and ammunition in that caliber.

For the others, I reload. And for the .45-70, I make my own black powder, too. I'm still using store-bought primers, though. The only practical DIY priming compounds are corrosive; the chemistry for making non-corrosive primers is way more complex than I want to get into.

Of course there's one of my more obnoxious friends who never fails to remind me that his favorite rifle just bangs a stock against a file to go bang. Those flintlock guys are a pain in the posterior sometimes.

Dr. Sandman
February 5, 2014, 02:44 PM
Yes, I would consider it. Life is too short to waste time with guns that you don't love.

Milkmaster
February 5, 2014, 05:08 PM
You could keep your M1's pristine in another way! I bought a Mini 14. Mine shoots the 5.56 or .223 ammo. I shoot the cheapest bulk 5.56ammo I can find. It is about as cheap a combination I found that would satisfy my M1 or M1A Garand itch for a while. I have actually grown quite fond of the Mini 14. The newer ones (made since 2005) with the larger barrels are much more accurate than my older model ever was. I have about 1K rounds down the pipe since Christmas. Easy to clean and nary a jam yet!

USAF_Vet
February 5, 2014, 11:16 PM
I do have one gun that doesn't see a lot of use due to its expensive and uncommon ammo, my Arisaka type 38. But I didn't buy it, I inherited it. No amount of money, other guns or ammo will mame me get rid of it. If the gubmint decides to ban all guns, I'll demil the Arisaka and hang it on the wall. It'll get passed on to future generations, hopefully, with the caveat that it will never be sold, traded, etc.

22-rimfire
February 5, 2014, 11:58 PM
I have a number of virgins and seek them out. Selling them is always a possiblity but it is not to finance another gun purchase. It might be to buy a car, boat, or truck.

If I want another firearm, once I find what catches my eye or interest, I buy it. Whether I shoot it or not is not important to me.

TIMC
February 6, 2014, 10:58 AM
Everybody has their comfort level of finances. If you feel it is too expensive to shoot then why not trade it for something you will shoot.

Personally I don't think .50-.60 a round is too expensive, a lot of what I have has been more than that to buy for many years but that is me and what do I know, I also like punching holes in paper.

22-rimfire
February 6, 2014, 11:16 PM
The problem I had with the "cheap ammo" from years ago is that I really didn't think it was that cheap then. .... a box of 50 rounds of 357 mag for $10, seemed to be a lot of money to me. As a result, I never shot away centerfire ammunition just to punch holes in targets. The shooting other than maybe 10 rounds was always with a purpose in mind.

I never got into shooting the Mosin's or most military rifles in general.

Think about how I feel about spending $1.00-$2.00 per round for some center fire now. I have a number of guns that require this to shoot them with factory ammo. It's sad really as I enjoy shooting, but the cost is prohibitive for me or the little voice tells me it ought to be.

It sort of comes down to what you are willing to spend to participate in this sport.

I have always been a fan of 22 rimfires for shooting and I didn't mind shooting 500 rounds in an outing. Some may chuckle... that is a total of $18-$25 for a bulk pack, right? The aggregate amount may be 500 rounds as it will usually be a mix of quality levels and prices that match them.

I see no problem owning firearms that I don't or seldom shoot, even ones that aren't particularly collectable. I go in buying spurts with firearms and really enjoy making quick decisions based on my knowledge but often only based on my intuition.

Wait until summer or next summer. Things change.

sarge912
February 8, 2014, 07:20 PM
You may wish to consider getting a Schuster Gas Plug for the Garand. It allows you to safely shoot commercial .30-06 ammunition. http://www.schustermfg.com/

chris in va
February 8, 2014, 07:30 PM
Aahhh...don't sell your Garands! They are investments and will only increase in value.

Like Sarge pointed out just get a gas plug if you don't want to hassle with reloading or sourcing GI ammo. Heck I don't shoot mine all the time despite reloading for it but its extremely satisfying when I do. Plus there's the added benefit of letting the younger generation fire the rifle and hear the PING of an ejected clip to solidify the stuff they only see in movies.

You mention 'perforating shoot-n-sees'. There's your problem. Source a $100 AR500 steel target and set it out to 250 yards. Now THAT is gratification.

jcwit
February 8, 2014, 07:31 PM
Being as I reload for all centerfire and purchased all my components years ago all my ammo is "cheap".

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you consider selling an unused "virgin" gun for one that uses cheap ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!