Percussion Caps?

PDA

mec
February 3, 2014, 12:15 PM
I have a fairly good supply but have noticed that none of the usually sources have them anymore. Pretty much a victim of resource allocation in the face of political events, I'm sure but I'm wondering if anybody has a source?

If you enjoyed reading about "Percussion Caps?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EljaySL
February 3, 2014, 01:03 PM
As of a couple of days ago Dixie had Remington (limit 5 tins) and RWS caps. With the hazmat it's not cheap but it'll at least buy you some time if you got the limit on the Remingtons and as many as you can afford of the RWS.

mec
February 3, 2014, 01:14 PM
Good! and thanks. I noticed that they claimed to have some caps stipulating possible substitution.

elhombreconnonombre
February 3, 2014, 01:50 PM
I haven't seen percussion caps at the Cabelas down the road in Buda, Tx for months. The last time the did, I bought half of the display. They weren't even in the online catalog anymore. Up until a month ago they had a nice end cap display of the less expensive Pietta revolvers on a framed board for display and handling. On the shelves beneath this board were more than a couple dozen boxes of Pietta revolvers, even 8 Uberti Walkers. On my last visit this entire display had vanished from anywhere in the store. Clue the X Files theme music.

mec
February 3, 2014, 03:11 PM
a few revolvers on display in waco and a big assortment of the various revolver balls/lubed patches and a small amount of 777 and pyrodex p and rs. No caps that I could find.

Oldnamvet
February 3, 2014, 04:46 PM
All I could find around was musket caps. so I put a converting nipple on my T/C and use the musket caps. A lot more fire than necessary but it works well. Easy enough to switch back if the caps become available again.

hartcreek
February 3, 2014, 05:32 PM
I dont know if you can find it any more but I have this kinda punch so that I can make the cap shells out of a soda can skin and then use three centers from a roll caps. The tool came with a hole punch for cutting out the caps.

4v50 Gary
February 3, 2014, 08:39 PM
The do it yourself kit, Tap O' Cap, has been out of production for a few years now.

damoc
February 3, 2014, 08:51 PM
The do it yourself kit, Tap O' Cap, has been out of production for a few years now.
making the little brass cup thingies is pretty easy with a few basic tools but having to
cut out toy caps would get old real fast

ivankerley
February 3, 2014, 08:52 PM
gave up looking in the fall, bout to start looking again, locally that is
didnt make it to friendship last fall to see if anybody had any or what the situation looked like there.
Gene

OcelotZ3
February 4, 2014, 12:50 AM
Locally, Cabelas didn't have them about a month ago and other stores didn't, but Gunworks Muzzleloading has all types (#10, #11, musket).

mec
February 4, 2014, 05:45 AM
Good! they seem to like number 10 which fit better than the usually recommended 11s.

celem
February 4, 2014, 10:26 AM
Which brand of No. 10 is VERY important - they are NOT the same. CCI 10 fits Pietta nipples but Remington 10s are too big. See the attached chart that shows the difference.

Hellgate
February 4, 2014, 11:58 AM
No one has Remington #10s which fit ALL of my revolvers. Half the rest take RWS#1075 and the other half take CCI#11s.

ldlfh7
February 6, 2014, 01:27 PM
I found #11 Winchester Magnum primers left over from muzzle loader season at Wal-Mart. I picked up 1000. May try there. My nipples were #10 but with all the #11 caps I bought a new set of #11 nipples.

Smokin'Joe
February 6, 2014, 04:42 PM
A couple of weeks ago I attended The Great Marlboro Gun & Knife Show in Marlborough, MA. I asked the vendor at a black powder table if he had #10 Remington Percussion Caps. He reached under the table and brought up eight tins from years gone by. He wanted $6 each. I asked him for a deal on all eight tins. He took $45 and I got 800 beautiful foil lined #10s. Be sure to ask if you don't see what you want. The original price tag was scratched out with a pen but could still be read. It says "Bob Gray $1.49".

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc510/SmmokingJoe/10Caps_zps499ddeb6.jpg

Dave Markowitz
February 10, 2014, 01:57 PM
CCI 10 fits Pietta nipples but Remington 10s are too big.

This is exactly the opposite of my experience.

wap41
February 10, 2014, 02:24 PM
Third generation shooters supply has remington#10's.His hazmat fee is $27.50 but he sell the caps for $2.99 per 100 so 1000 still comes out reasonable

Hellgate
February 10, 2014, 03:32 PM
3rd Gen does not have Remington #10s but does have the Remington #11s. I just checked.

MCgunner
February 10, 2014, 03:39 PM
I'm still working off a bunch I bought 6 months ago at a couple of LGS sources. However, I'll keep shooting. I do have a Tap-O-Cap.

EljaySL
February 10, 2014, 04:41 PM
Be aware that the 3rd generation caps are the old Remington design, which means a) they're a lot less hot and more importantly b) they're really big. They're not the same size as modern #11s. I tried using them on a cap and ball revolver and they all flew off. I think in a prior thread somebody was saying they were from the mid 90s.

If you have a use for them they're a good deal but be aware of what you're getting before putting in a big order.

1KPerDay
February 10, 2014, 07:04 PM
local cabela's has some Remington #10s but they want $8/100. Probably why they're still on the shelf.

swathdiver
February 11, 2014, 03:53 PM
Get them before they're gone!

1KPerDay
February 11, 2014, 04:16 PM
meh... I'd rather not shoot than pay 2X-3X normal prices and perpetuate the insanity.

Officers'Wife
February 11, 2014, 04:23 PM
making the little brass cup thingies is pretty easy with a few basic tools but having to
cut out toy caps would get old real fast
My brother has been experimenting with a mix of perchlorate and antimony trisulfide held in place by a paper disk. So far the results have been promising.

raa-7
February 11, 2014, 08:33 PM
cut out toy caps would get old real fast If you don't have any caps to buy,it wouldn't get old :p I make all my own caps.I mad:pe my own die and use aluminum cans and load them with my very own mix that is equal to a #11 CCI or a tad bit hotter :rolleyes: Also you can use a paper punch to punch out the roll caps, 2 per cap works but I like them to be a little HOt :evil: :p :cool:

J-Bar
February 11, 2014, 08:37 PM
If you don't have any caps to buy,it wouldn't get old :p I make all my own caps.I mad:pe my own die and use aluminum cans and load them with my very own mix that is equal to a #11 CCI or a tad bit hotter :rolleyes: Also you can use a paper punch to punch out the roll caps, 2 per cap works but I like them to be a little HOt :evil: :p :cool:
Can you provide any info via PM or link on your recipe for cap mix? Thanks.

ofitg
February 11, 2014, 08:44 PM
Can you provide any info via PM or link on your recipe for cap mix? Thanks.

There's a good thread on this topic over in the Castboolits Forum -

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?182089-can-you-make-priming-compound

swathdiver
February 12, 2014, 04:02 PM
meh... I'd rather not shoot than pay 2X-3X normal prices and perpetuate the insanity.
It's been over a year since I've seen them on the shelves at Walmart, Jedediah Starr, Midway USA, etc. I don't believe they are being produced despite what the CCI guy told me. At least not until recent. Cabelas got some Remington's and they vanished in 24 hours.

AbitNutz
February 12, 2014, 04:56 PM
Remington #10 or #11 are just flat no where to be found in my area...

Wayne-O
February 13, 2014, 08:32 PM
Cabela's has a limited stock of #10's, as of 2/13/14.

Of course, I ordered mine before posting this. :cool:

vagunmonkey
February 13, 2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks Wayne-o.

There still available, I just ordered mine :)

raa-7
February 14, 2014, 12:41 PM
I should have said that my very own mix is just what is in those plastic caps.I would like to know what "exactly" is in the Remmy's/CCI,/Winchester etc. I've been searching with no headway at all. I guess if it was easy to find out,then everyone would know already and this thread wouldn't exist.I've read about what some compounds might contain but I never get to see where it says "This is what the compound consists of... I will find out it's just a matter of time.It might be a lonnnng time but I'll find out.

theotherwaldo
February 14, 2014, 03:30 PM
-Just bought somebody's BP reloading box at a local pawn shop. $24 for a big orange plastic box stuffed full of powder measures and flasks, 2 weird old molds, bags of patches, boxes and pouches of bullets, ten sealed tins of #10 Remington caps, 3 #10 CCIs (one was open), 2 flats of CCI #300 large pistol, 6 flats of #200 large rifle, a bunch of loose caps that I used in noisemaker blanks, a full plastic jar of some old powder substitute that was congealed into a solid block (now fertilizer), and a bunch of jags, nipples, nipple wrenches, a patch knife, and some other junk.

I love pawn shops.

BowerR64
February 14, 2014, 04:30 PM
If i cant find any caps once i go threw what i have ill just go back to .22 ive since built up a nice little stash of it and ive got a few .22s that need cycled and cleaned.

I told myself after i get this old army i wasnt going to buy any more BP pistols but you know how that goes :rolleyes:

ivankerley
February 14, 2014, 07:03 PM
if i cant get any at friendship this year dunno what im gonna do, i havent seen any locally at any of my stops... pretty grim been a year since ive seen any in a shop/store, a bass pro 3 gunshops and a few walmarts.
Gene

robhof
February 14, 2014, 09:16 PM
I would say check at a Walmart, but they discount after B/p season and don't restock til the next season here, depending on the store they have usually 11's, sometimes 10's and once I actually saw musket caps. I don't have anything that uses musket caps, but almost bought them as they were discounting them out at $2.00 per can.

BowerR64
February 14, 2014, 09:50 PM
gun shows, i went to a gun show last weekend and there was some old #11 remingtons for cheap but i didnt need any #11s

ROAshooter
February 14, 2014, 10:27 PM
it escapes me that no one has mentioned..."ring caps",,,,for toy cap guns...just have to snip them off the plastic ring....fit snug on the nipple...sometimes fail to light off pyrodex/777....but holy black has no issue ....216 for 2.97 at walmart...get them before they disappear...I have several thousand standing by...just in case...

ivankerley
February 14, 2014, 11:19 PM
it escapes me that no one has mentioned..."ring caps",,,,for toy cap guns...just have to snip them off the plastic ring....fit snug on the nipple...sometimes fail to light off pyrodex/777....but holy black has no issue ....216 for 2.97 at walmart...get them before they disappear...I have several thousand standing by...just in case...
Oh I've got some haven't tried them yet though :-)
Gene

raa-7
February 15, 2014, 03:11 PM
it escapes me that no one has mentioned..."ring caps",,,,for toy cap guns...just have to snip them off the plastic ring....fit snug on the nipple...sometimes fail to light off pyrodex/777....but holy black has no issue ....216 for 2.97 at walmart...get them before they disappear...I have several thousand standing by...just in case... Yep, been saying that, also I make aluminum caps from aluminum cans.Just drill a small hole (the size of #11 or whatever size you use) and with a small dia. rod,press your small round aluminum disc into the hole and you'll be surprised at the caps you can make ! ! If I can only get my darn PiCtUReS to post I'll show you guys how easy it really is and you can use the paper roll caps (The cheap ones called "SuperBang" brand from the dollar stores (family dollar/Dollar General) are way better than the German brand ones that everyone always posts. You put two caps in each aluminum cap . You punch the paper caps out with a .99 cent paper punch ! I've been using these. They work. Heck I'm out of CCI and Winchester caps so I have to make my own. I have trouble getting my pictures from picture bucket or whatever that's called,, Photo Bucket ! I will get them posted somehow and I can show how easy it is.I just don't know what I'm doing wrong posting pictures.I didn't grow up with these computors like these young guys.I have one but I (I'll be nice with words on here) sTinK aT it :banghead: :confused: but I'm tryin :barf: :p

raa-7
February 15, 2014, 04:34 PM
Ok I got it now, Mal H set me straight on this,I had //HTTP: "doubled" in the box :p and my pictures would not go through :p

Smokin'Joe
February 15, 2014, 05:33 PM
Prime the nipple with a small amount of powder and those toy caps will set off real black and 777.

mugsie
February 15, 2014, 05:45 PM
Funny that I came across this thread now. I just returned from my LGS and had asked if they had any #10 percussion caps, he said he hasn't had them for months. Also told me he has over 800#'s of powder on back order from Hodgdon, and if he receives 20 pounds in a week he considers himself lucky!

Sure we can keep our guns, we just can't fire them!

Rick R
February 15, 2014, 07:44 PM
Our local Gander Mtn. had several tins of the Winchester "Magnum" #11 caps. But at almost $8.00 / 100 I only bought one tin to see if my TC Thunderhawk and 1860 both like them.

raa-7
February 16, 2014, 12:09 PM
A while back when the Winchester magnum caps came out, I bought a couple of tins of them and they worked pretty good in my 1858 Remington revolver.

raa-7
February 16, 2014, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=ivankerley;9350565]if i cant get any at friendship this year dunno what im gonna do, i havent seen any locally at any of my stops... pretty grim been a year since ive seen any in a shop/store, a bass pro 3 gunshops and a few walmarts.
Gene, let me know if you can't find any caps, I'll help you out with making your own, start buying some paper roll caps and get some aluminum cans that are not crushed or dented all over and I'll be glad to help you making them just pm me on here with questions. I know some will get discouraged with tring to make them but when I tried this I was a little slow but now I'm wayyy better at it . Like anything else, practice makes perfect :cool:

EljaySL
February 16, 2014, 01:41 PM
Cabelas is out of the #10 Remingtons but they have the #11 Remingtons today. #11s are my go-to cap so that's pretty exciting.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_catalog_command.cmd?fromProductSearch=true&item1=IK%20-%20210239

Two thousand with hazmat and shipping for $155 to my location. So $7.75/tin. Really not a bad price at all and now I don't have to worry about the stupid things for the foreseeable future.

Crow Choker
February 16, 2014, 01:42 PM
Most, if not all my percussion revolvers like #10 Rems. I have used #11 CCI's some, but sometimes a few will come loose during firing. I've purchased #10 Rems from the same Gun Shop for quite a while, but approx. a year and a half ago, he started having problems in getting them from his suppliers. He still checks from time to time at the request of my and others request, but to no avail. At area gun shows, both large and small, none of the dealers who attend advise they cannot get them. CCI's show up from time to time, but no Remington's. I live in Iowa, not even at the BIG Des Moines shows, I can find them. I called Remington early last week and asked them if they were producing them. The gal at customer service did her best to advise me that they were shipping every week. When I advised her that I had not seen any for almost two years in my area, that my gun shop dealer advised me none of his sources can get them, that from what I read on the on-line shooting forums, everyone across the US was complaining about the scarcity, and that the only places that were selling them were the 'big box' places such as Cabela's and Gander Mountian. Also advised her these 'big box' stores were charging 'scalper' prices ranging up to $65-80 per thousand, not counting the hazemant fee of $20-25.00. Before the scarcity started, I was paying approx. $32 per 1000. The customer service gal advised me to tell my gun shop owner to advise his sources to contact them if they couldn't get any. Didn't do any good---I think the Remington gal was blowing 'green' Remington smoke to pacify me. I believe either Remington isn't producing them, if so, very little or they are shipping to the Cabela type stores who are 'high-jacking' the prices for big profit. I'd like to be proven wrong, but until I am, I stand by what I write. To high-jack Pete Seegers song 'Where Have All the Flowers Gone", I'll change the wording to "Where Have All The Rem Caps Gone, Gone To Big Box Coporate Coffers Every One"!!!!!! If any one from Remington is reading this and can prove me different, I gladly apologize with a post! Crow Choker

ivankerley
February 16, 2014, 01:59 PM
let me know if you can't find any caps, I'll help you out with making your own, start buying some paper roll caps and get some aluminum cans that are not crushed or dented all over and I'll be glad to help you making them just pm me on here with questions. I know some will get discouraged with tring to make them but when I tried this I was a little slow but now I'm wayyy better at it . Like anything else, practice makes perfect :cool:
thank you for the kind offer, and i will let ya know, cause making my own is starting to sound like a good idea, especially if i want to continue doing this
gene

whughett
February 18, 2014, 08:57 AM
I have a fairly good supply but have noticed that none of the usually sources have them anymore. Pretty much a victim of resource allocation in the face of political events, I'm sure but I'm wondering if anybody has a source?
Some time ago I had ordered 2000 #11 caps from 3rd gen supply. They turned out to be older #11 Rifle caps by Remington. Gone through about 500 of them and they work just fine on the 1860,Walker, 1858 Remmy and the ROA. Better on some not as good on others.( Biggest problem is they are some what loose on some) The price then and still is 2.99 a hundred.

Just checked and they are still listed. Punched in 20 (100 cap tins) into the shopping cart and then got cold feet on that durn haz mat fee. My supply will last through the end of the year so I am waiting to see what happens.

By chance anyone living in the Sarasota/Charlotte/Lee/Desota area of Florida want to gang up on shooting BP shooting supplies and split the haz mat fee I am game. Don't mean to come off cheap and ain't belittleing the need for the fee, but for some reason the old evac hole tightens when I go to add it to shipments. Don't get why loaded ammo can be shipped normal powder and primer are hazardous.

EljaySL
February 19, 2014, 12:12 AM
Cabelas is now out of the #11s but has #10s. Go figure.

re: the older Remington caps from 3rd generation - I've pretty much given up on them on revolvers other than to clear the nipples. They're just too big for the nipples I use and don't stay put. I should try them on the Walker - maybe the lower acceleration due to that heavy gun will help keep them on.

mec
February 20, 2014, 07:14 AM
local cabelas told me that he hasn't seen caps since " about christmas." Thats only a couple of months back so maybe the factories will squeeze out a batch every now and then. Right now, they are still pumping out centerfire rounds and can't even allocate components for .22 rimfire.

elhombreconnonombre
February 20, 2014, 07:29 AM
I havent seen caps at Cabelas in over 6 months and stocked up then. They are not even in the online catalog like they used to be. Check out the other thread on DIY homemade caps.

EljaySL
February 21, 2014, 12:09 AM
They have both #10s and #11s today. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_catalog_command.cmd?fromProductSearch=true&item1=IK%20-%20210239&avad=55097_e60ac895&WT.mc_id=al40661&rid=12&WT.tsrc=AFF

mec
February 21, 2014, 03:12 AM
good to know remington is still making an effort. Thanks.

elhombreconnonombre
February 22, 2014, 12:03 AM
Hurrah! My Cabelas just got in some Remington #10s AND #11s. Me and a few other folks split what they had. Need to make these last a while. I will be making some DIY caps per raa-7's ideas on this in his two current cap threads.

mec
February 22, 2014, 07:39 AM
two days later and they still show 10 and 11 in stock-on line.

tpelle
February 23, 2014, 03:40 PM
I've been looking all over for Remington #10s. After reading this thread this morning, waiting for the missus to finish getting ready before leaving for church, I saw that they showed both #10s and #11s in stock. Two hours later, when I got back and decided to order some, they showed the #10s as "Limited Stock". At least I think I got my order in on time!

I just checked now, at 3:30 PM, and both are showing "Limited Stock", so if you want only, better move fast.

I'm also looking at raa-7's thread on his home-made cap making process.

But knowing that I have 1000 on the way is a nice feeling. I only have a couple of hundred on hand right now, plus most of a box of 1000 CCI #10's.

I notice that they have Hornady balls on sale for $14.99 as well. Probably should have ordered a couple of boxes of them too, but the balls have never been a problem ordering. Maybe next time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Percussion Caps?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!