Gun Companies with poor and good customer support

PDA

wally
February 5, 2014, 12:23 PM
In an effort to maybe put some pressure on companies with poor customer support I'd like to develop a thread reporting good vs. bad customer support experiences. Only for current companies, ignoring any issues prior to a management/ownership change which should be part of a turnaround.

Bad customer service starts with you having to pay to ship it back to them. For a handgun this will set you back ~$60 for FedEx or UPS or you need to find or pay a dealer to do it for you. The good starts with them sending you a prepaid return label.

Worst:
Chiappa -- I had to pay to return it, and they didn't fix it, took ~10 weeks.
Century -- warranty clock runs while at the dealer! :eek:

Poor:
EAA -- Had to pay to send it back for a cracked slide, but did fix it fast.
Kahr -- Had to pay to send it back (dealer paid), took months to fix.
Kahr -- Want me to pay, cracked frame rail, not sure its worth trying.

Good:
S&W -- Paid shipping, fast repairs even for my very high round count M22A
Kel-Tec -- Paid shipping, fast repairs but I use them too often :(
RIA -- Paid shipping, fixed it fast.
Charter Arms -- Paid shipping, fixed it fast.

"Lifetime" warranty is a plus, but loses most of its value if you have to pay shipping. Taurus comes to mind here, I've heard they pay and they don't pay, I've had good luck with my Taurus guns but none has seen heavy use other than my PT-92 and 9mm 1911, and none have broken yet.

"If you've never broken a gun, you just ain't been shooting enough!"

Good replacement parts availability (through Brownells, Midway, etc. or direct) will generally have me not bother finding out about the warranty (Buckmark Camper -- just bought the $10 part and moved on). If they send you replacement parts for free when you ask for the RMA its even better (S&W, Kel-Tec, Kahr, & RIA have also done this for me).

If they expect you to pay for warranty return shipping, factor this into the purchase price and generally any savings will evaporate.

My recent Kahr warranty experience will have me switching to S&W Shield for my CCW soon! My "have a gun" CCW already are S&W: SC360 J-frame and Bodyguard .380)

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Companies with poor and good customer support" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Armed 24/7
February 5, 2014, 12:48 PM
Poor : Kahr Arms. I bought a brand new P9 in 9MM in about 2002. The break in Period is 200 rounds. I shot those with numerous Fail To Feed issues (About 1 in 20). It also stovepiped about 4 or 5 times in the first 200 rounds. This is with a VERY firm 2 handed hold, to rule out limp wristing. I called Kahr wanting to send it back for repairs, and they just suggested that I increase the break in to 500 rounds! I kept trying to get them to accept it for repairs and pay for shipping, but they would not. Thinking it was a magazine issue, I purchased another factory may ( About 40 dollars, I believe). No improvement over the next 300 rounds, making the total 500. I again called Kahr, and got the runaround again, to keep shooting it and it will break in. I sold it soon after that, and will not buy another Kahr product again.

Good Service - Dillon Precision. I have a 550B and when you call them with a broken part number, they ship another one out to you Pronto. No questions asked about how your abuse, or stupidity broke the part.

mbopp
February 5, 2014, 12:54 PM
Good - Springfield Armory. I had a thumb safety problem and even though I wasn't the original owner they emailed me a pre-paid shipping label and fixed it in a few days N/C.
Good - RCBS and Redding. Some of my equipment is 30 years old but they still sent me replacement parts gratis.

redneck2
February 5, 2014, 12:59 PM
Dillon is incredible. I bought a previously owned press that was maybe twenty years old, never used. Powder measure leaked. They sent me an updated new one and all the powder funnels N/C. Since then I've had three guys that have bought units because of that.

Leupold. Bought some binos in the Cabelas bargain cave that had a stripped eye piece. Sent them in and a few weeks later got a brand new pair of a newer and improved ones N/C. They also replaced a VX-III that was maybe 30 years old with a new one N/C. I just wanted repairs.

Cee Zee
February 5, 2014, 01:03 PM
Fair - Savage acted quickly but never found the problem. I finally found it myself. My dealer paid to ship it back.

Poor - Marlin took forever to replace the trigger guard on my 795 and didn't seem to care that it took over a year.

wally
February 5, 2014, 03:27 PM
Good Service - Dillon Precision. I have a 550B and when you call them with a broken part number, they ship another one out to you Pronto. No questions asked about how your abuse, or stupidity broke the part.

Dillon is indeed outstanding, good use of caller ID to speed up the process too, since I still had the same phone and address they looked everything up automatically and just got the part number from me and shipped it out.

But I wanted to keep it to guns as there are few shipping restrictions for other than guns and ORM-D materials.

burrhead
February 5, 2014, 05:50 PM
A few years ago I bought a box of reloading supplies and equipment at a garage sale. In the lot was an older rock chucker that I really didn’t need but, what the hey. I looked it over and saw there was excessive rotational play in the ram and toggle so I called RCBS to order the parts to fix it and the nice lady on the phone said “send it in; we’ll fix it”. Off to California it went. Received a package a couple of weeks later containing a BRAND NEW PRESS! NO CHARGE! They even picked up the $25 in postage. I figure I put about $50 in it total.

Gotta love the green.

Schwing
February 5, 2014, 05:59 PM
The best support I have ever received for a firearm was from Hi-point believe it or not. They paid the shipping for my 995 and threw in a spare magazine, a new sight and a sling for my trouble.

The worst support was from Walther for my p22. It jams about every 3-4 rounds regardless of ammo choice. Not only did they NOT pay shipping, but they sent it back saying that they could not find a problem. They only fired 1 test round and sent the spent casing as proof of their efforts. They also refused to look at it again.

Strahley
February 5, 2014, 07:13 PM
Fortunately, I've never had a bad customer service experience with any gun company. I've contacted SIG and Glock both once, and both experiences were very good. I wrote both companies letters thanking for them for their good service

larryh1108
February 5, 2014, 08:06 PM
Excellent - Ruger
I bought a first issue LCP. They had a recall but I had no issues with it. A year later, they emailed me asking why I haven't sent it in yet. I told them I didn't want to be without my CCW for a long time. They told me if I shipped it on Monday (at their expense) I'd have it back by Friday. I got it back Thursday. 3000 rounds and still perfect.

Excellent - Kimber
I bought a Solo used with a known issue. I called Kimber (it was over a year since purchased new) and they sent me a prepaid label to send it to them. I got it back 3 weeks later and it's been perfect ever since. I was not the original owner, it was past their 1 year warranty and they paid both ways and fixed it free. Good by my book.

RetiredUSNChief
February 5, 2014, 08:07 PM
Singlular experience:

Colt (Awesome) - Had a problem with the plunger tube on my 1991A1, but couldn't find my warranty information. Looked up a Colt service center, called in about my problem, including the lack of warranty papers. The answer: "It doesn't matter. It's a Colt and Colt stands behind their guns: send it in and we'll fix it free of charge."

Plot twist: the LGS I shipped it from sent the gun directly to Colt instead of the authorized Colt service center I had provided the shipping information to. Found out when the service center never got the gun and I went back to the LGS. Was NOT happy with the LGS for that, especially since Colt has a much longer turnaround.

HOWEVER, I called the Colt factory and talked to a service rep, explaining my problem and how I had expected a rapid turnaround from the service center in time to support my leave travel plans the upcoming weekend. She confirmed they had received the gun and put a rapid service request on it with overnight return shipping that Friday in time for me to get it Saturday before I hit the road.

I got it back in my hands that Wednesday. No charge and a free magazine. (Never ship a gun with a magazine...you're very likely to get one back as a result.)

I love Colt.

herrwalther
February 5, 2014, 08:20 PM
Smith and Wesson would count as one of the worst for me. I had a Bodyguard .380 that had an abnormally heavy trigger pull, even after a reasonable break in and plenty of dry fire. My trigger pull scale stops at 15 pounds, and the trigger was heavier. Not only did I have to pay to have the firearm shipped to them, they had it for 3 weeks. They sent it back dirty with a note saying the trigger was within their specifications. Sold the handgun less than a month later.

jstein650
February 5, 2014, 08:30 PM
Ruger has been Excellent for me. Replaced a P-90 for me, NQA. Was hitting off center, and feeding erratically. Replaced the bolt and magazine on an old M77 MKII that I bought used. Just had to pay one way shipping, not bad.

Also, gotta throw in Beretta, I had one of those little .32 Tomcats, that was prone to going into 'disassemble mode' when firing fast. They gave me what looked like a new pistol.

Oh, and Dillon, of course... They've sent me many parts, usually of an improved design even after years of use, always 100% free.

aladdin
February 5, 2014, 08:44 PM
Ruger has the best service I ever experienced. Sent me small parts for obsolete guns several times over the years no charge. It does not get any better.
Kahr is a whole different story. To start with very hard to get someone on the phone. Said they would send me a manual for my new cw9 the one that it came with had missing pages. The cw9 is long gone still no manual.

mnhntr
February 5, 2014, 11:09 PM
Savage = fair
S&W = good
STI = excellent
Springfield Armory = good

AlexanderA
February 6, 2014, 12:25 AM
DSA (maker of FAL's) is generally thought to have poor customer support. I know for a fact that their website is useless. I ordered parts/accessories twice from their website and had to cancel both times because the items were out of stock.

siglite
February 6, 2014, 12:30 AM
My experiences:

Glock: outstanding (simple sight issue)

S&W: poor, didn't want to work on a walther. Had to become squeaky wheel to get anything done.

Dillon Precision: outstanding. The best CS I've had from any company in any industry

RCBS: outstanding. Second only to Dillon.

Springfield Armory: poor. Squeaky wheel required, finally took in gun, sent it back to me with a different problem.

Sig: Good. Sight problem. Easily fixed. No charge, but they weren't exactly quick.

tarosean
February 6, 2014, 03:27 AM
While Ive had guns break parts etc. I normally fix those as they are well worn. etc.
Ive only sent two pistols back to the manufacture.

Taurus M85 - I paid for shipping there. (Gun was 20yrs old relatively unused.) Took approximately 3wks and its back in working order.

Glock G19 - They paid for shipping and sent me a new gun. Approximately 3-4wks turnaround.

Both experiences were seamless.

thefamcnaj
February 6, 2014, 05:55 AM
Ruger was great. I sent a sr40c back due to fte.
Ruger got the gun back to me quick with no charges.

SA was great during the recall imho. They had it a while but they owned up to their mistake and fixed it free. The magazine they sent was a nice touch as well.
That's my two experiences.

klausman
February 6, 2014, 08:03 AM
Ruger - just fair at best I had an Sr 1911 that had a poorly done "J cut" on the breech face. The Breech face was not flat and was imprinting brass. The LGS sent it in and 10 days later I got it back without anything done. I contacted Ruger support and told them the story and was told to send it in again, and they would take care of it. I got it back again with nothing done and a note that it was "in spec", and got to pay the shipping. Not cool. When my SR1911 CMD had the same problem, I just took it to the smith that finally fixed the first one, and he took care of it. It cost me about $75 a piece to fix their problem. Other than that, very nice 1911s.

RCBS - GREAT service. Over 30 years, they have taken prompt and free care of me every time I had a problem, even the stuck case that was absolutely my fault.

jrdolall
February 6, 2014, 08:27 AM
Good:
Ruger repaired my P85 quickly and paid for everything.
KelTec totally rebuilt a PF-9 that I bought used and had a lot of trouble with light strikes. Turns out it had a P-11 barrel so they replaced it. I dropped it off and had it back in about 3 hours. NC on anything.
High Point. I bought a used C-9 several years ago that had a broken trigger. They paid for everything and sent me a new mag. Don't recall exactly but it was very quick.

Marginal:
Smith and Wesson. I had a NIB Bodyguard and the laser stopped working after maybe 100 rounds. I called S&W and left a message which was returned within a day or two telling me to return the part. I paid for it but it weighed about 1 oz so it was cheap. It took them almost a month to send a new one despite several emails from me to which I got pretty pat answers but no real solution. The replacement did finally show up though there was no tracking info provided. Three days later I got another replacement laser so now I have an extra.

Agsalaska
February 6, 2014, 08:46 AM
Sent an email to winchester support last week aski ng about .375 win ammo production. They responded within a few hours telling me they will produce some later this year. Good job on the fast response.

bearcreek
February 6, 2014, 09:19 AM
BCM: Great service. If they say somethings in stock, it is, and it ships fast. When you call them a real person answers.
Smith Enterprise: Also good. Quick shipping and turn around of new and repaired items. Human usually answers the phone.
PSA: Remains to be seen. In the past its been ok. Shipping times have been pretty long. Recently I bought a lower from them and some of the machining on it was not done. Contacting them took a while. Machine answers the phone and you cannot leave a message because the voicemail box is full. Once I did get hold of them through email they have been fairly good about the whole thing. Only thing is, they don't accept returns on FFL items so I'm having to go through the manufacturer.

340PD
February 6, 2014, 09:33 AM
In over 50 years of gun ownership, I have never had to send a gun in for service of any kind. Any tweaking or minor modifications I felt were needed were made by me.

Mike J
February 6, 2014, 09:42 AM
The only gun company whose customer service I have had to use is Kel Tec. I agree with the OP. Their customer service is good. Instead of sending in the gun I opted to have them send me the needed parts. I had them within about 3 days of calling. The only bad thing is I had to use them several times. The pistol has been fine for a while now but I still probably wont buy anything else from them.

bannockburn
February 6, 2014, 10:24 AM
Excellent-Ruger
Excellent-Beretta

Taurus 617 CCW
February 6, 2014, 10:41 AM
Terrible:
Hellcat firearms
Walther
H&K (on the dealer side)

Poor:
EAA

Fair:
Smith and Wesson
Kel Tec
Taurus

Excellent:
SCCY Industries
Ruger
Sig Sauer
PWS
Tactical Solutions
Glock
Springfield Armory

BigLar
February 6, 2014, 11:00 AM
The only time I needed to test these sort of waters was when I dropped a magazine from my FNX9. Cracked the follower. Called FNH USA. They sent me out a new one, no questions asked, free of charge. Received in a couple days.

Very pleasant experience. I believe I'm the 3rd owner of this particular firearm, and at the point this happened, round count was around 7-8000.

Cee Zee
February 6, 2014, 05:30 PM
It really doesn't seem relevant but the best service I ever got was from IntraTec. A cartridge didn't feed right and damaged the ramp. My dealer shipped it back, they fixed it and I got it back in no time. I don't remember exactly how long since that was a very long time ago. At least 20 years if not more. They aren't even in business now but their service was great IMO.

Also I have seen Henry go above and beyond servicing one of their rifles. It wasn't mine but it belonged to a good friend. He had scratched the surface on his Golden Boy and they refinished it even though he sent the rifle in because the sights were off. He got it back in record time too.

model4006
February 6, 2014, 05:36 PM
Para ordinance

Sent it back 3 times for about 2 MONTHS each time. They always said they fixed it, it still always malfunctioned. I sold it.

orionengnr
February 6, 2014, 06:27 PM
Para Ord--excellent. I bought a used C-6 a number of years ago, had trouble with it, and posted on a 1911 site. I was contacted by George Wedge, Para employee who had been reading the forum. He asked me to send it in, which I did. They fixed it. Can you say "proactive"?

S&W--excellent. I bought a used revolver (M-396) and the previous owner had had used some sort of chemical that had removed a good chunk of the finish. I sent it in with a request for a price on a re-finish. S&W sent it back to me within a week or two, re-finished good as new...free of charge.

Ruger--excellent. My LCP was affected by the recall, although I had no issues. They paid shipping both ways, fixed it within about a week and threw in a spare mag and a hat.

Kahr--excellent. My PM9 (bought used) had the infamous barrel peening issue back around 2005-06. I contacted Kahr and they asked me to send it in. I asked if I could send the "top half" (slide, barrel, recoil spring assembly) so I would not need to use FedEx/UPS. They said sure, so I sent it in using USPS...$4.35 back then. A week later, I had a new slide, new barrel, new recoil spring assembly...and new Trijicon night sights (because they did not have a slide that would accept the XS Big Dot sight I had bought the pistol with. They would have taken care of that, but I was very un-impressed with the Big Dot, and readily took them up on their offer). Trijicon > XS Big Dot.

Springfield--excellent effort, okay execution. My EMP was an early production model (s/n 1705) and was a nightmare. Every form of malfunction a 1911 has ever had. I sent it back, they kept it for a month or more, and eventually sent me a new one (s/n 2750). It had almost every malfunction a 1911 has ever...well, you get the idea. I sent it back, they worked on it...IIRC I sent it back twice. Then I sold it to a local guy, with full disclosure at a big loss and with about five mags (got a free one every time sent it in...gotta give them credit for that). He sent it in once more. I'm sure the new ones are perfect. I hope.

Colt--not so good. Tried to buy a recoil spring assembly for a Defender several years back...no cooperation at all.

Kel-Tec...good effort, poor results. I owned four different K-T pistols (one P32, two P3ATs, one P11), which all failed to function as designed...a variety of problems. I bought new mags and a bunch of different ammo types, to no avail. I contacted K-T repeatedly, they sent me a variety of parts which had a variety of effects. Some problems were diminished, some were unaffected. None was ever reliable enough to carry, or to trust my life with. I sold each at a loss with full disclosure and will never...ever...own a Kel-Tec again.

I'm sure there are a few others, but these are the ones that I recall right now, so they are the ones that made a lasting impression.

doc2rn
February 6, 2014, 09:15 PM
Beyond awful: Taurus, sent the gun in assembled came back in parts

Good: Glock 32 Kaboomed, billed me for a new barrel 9 day turn around

Great: Ruger sent in my Standard and they did a complete rebuild in 3 days.

texasgun
February 6, 2014, 09:38 PM
poor: H&K (had to pay for overnight-shipping and a simple fix took them over 2 weeks)

good: Glock (emailed me free shipping label, sent fixed gun back in ~ 1 week)

excellent: Wilson (but it's probably priced into their products ;)

torqem
February 6, 2014, 09:53 PM
(very expensive) for the 1911 kit. I had a brand new MkIV Gold cup go full auto, due to a sear spring that had no heat treating at all. Should have sued their butts off. They sent me a sear spring (praying that I was a nice guy). I called them to ask about their 22 unit working on a commander frame (it will, but looks and feels strange) and the guy on the phone didn't think that the kid should be used on the Gold cup!

250-3000
February 6, 2014, 09:56 PM
Taurus - bought a used 66 7 shot, barrel was heavily leaded, got the bore cleaned up and realized there was a crack on the inside of the barrel right at the front of the frame. Called, paid $50 for a prepaid shipping label, back in 8 days with a new barrel. Got it back two days before the letter saying they had received it, advising up to six weeks for repair!

justice06rr
February 6, 2014, 10:02 PM
Good/Excellent: Keltec, Spikes Tactical, Smith and Wesson

Poor: Palmetto State Armory - slow shipping, bad CS

DeadMoneyDrew
February 7, 2014, 10:47 AM
+1 to Ruger providing great service. Awhile back I decided to disassemble my Single 10 further than recommended, since watching a YouTube video on the matter clearly makes me a qualified gunsmith. Lo and behold I had a hard time getting the thing back together, and when I finally did it wouldn't fire. Shocking, I know. :O

Turns out I somehow damaged the cylinder. Ruger replaced the damaged parts at no charge, even though I clearly explained the whole story. All I paid for was outbound shipping, which was fine with me since I was at fault for the damages.

Go Ruger!

SniperJon
February 7, 2014, 12:43 PM
It's funny to see everyone that had good experiences with Kel-Tec. They were my nightmare. I sent my PF-9 slide/barrel in for light strikes and after 5 weeks they sent back a used one in much worse condition cosmetically than mine with a heavily worn barrel that they just put a new firing pin in. I also sent mine in with their accessory steel guide rod installed and they sent back the factory plastic one and kept mine! I e-mailed them and never received a response so I sent it back with a very descriptive note that I would rather have mine back than the one they sent or have this one replaced again but I want my steel guide rod back at the very least. They sent me the same used/worn slide and barrel back after waiting another 5 weeks with the same plastic guide rod even! I put it together and sold it the next day.

JERRY
February 7, 2014, 11:29 PM
the absolute best C.S. I've experienced has been with S&W.

The Lone Haranguer
February 8, 2014, 08:10 AM
Great: SIG-Sauer, Smith & Wesson and Ruger. Adequate: Kahr. Poor: Taurus (but, to be fair, this was almost 20 years ago).

itchy1
February 8, 2014, 08:53 AM
Horrible--EAA: bought a brand new Zastava EZ40 and the thing would not feed. The EAA rep was very rude and refused to pay any shipping. Thankfully the dealer allowed me to return it to them for a full refund. The sloppy tolerances on this pistol were among the worst I've ever seen on any gun.

Bad--Remington: had a brand new 870 Express that would jam when the slide was drawn back. The Remington rep insinuated that I didn't know how to operate a pump gun(I had over 20 years experience at that point with Winchester and Savage pumps). It was sent to a repair shop in Oregon where they had to machine the bolt. It has worked flawlessly since.

Excellent--Marlin: I lost the front trigger guard screw to my 60 and they mailed me one free of charge.

Nicolai
February 8, 2014, 12:21 PM
In my few customer service contacts with S&W, I've had exceptional customer service.
I had one customer service contact with Colt, years ago, and was not happy with both the way I was treated by the "customer service" people and the outcome.

gym
February 8, 2014, 02:50 PM
Maybe it has to do with how profitable they are when it comes to making decisions like paying for shipping. company's like S&W are publically owner company's with shareholders, perhaps these decisions are made in a more professional way when you have a board of directors, and are held accountable under the rules and regs of a public company. Maybe not, but it is a consideration. I haven't looked them all up, but we do know that Ruger and Smith are public company's. Are Sig and Glock traded on any exchanges, here or in Europe? A few are probably owned by larger corporations.
When it's a public company, these things are usually taken care of at the manufacturers expense.
I wouldn't be surprised to see extended warrantees come out some day, to insure your gun like your TV, it's actually a good idea for a start up. Lifetime warrantee on your gun, "if it doesn't come with one already it is something to consider.

InkEd
February 8, 2014, 05:54 PM
Ruger has been the best. MPA, SA and Henry were good. S&W was okay. Sig Sauer and ATI were less than impressive. This is based on my personal experiences with them.

Peter M. Eick
February 8, 2014, 06:32 PM
Springfield - Excellent. Fixed my loose M1A sight on their nickle both ways. Got a couple of mags for my trouble.
EAA - good. Had no problems getting what I needed for parts. Reasonable prices also.
Colt - Good. I had to pay shipping in but they fixed my Dback nicely several times.
RCBS - Great what else would you expect?

Sitting here, I can't think of a bad experience with any gun manufacturer. Probably the closest to a problem was my Browning Cynergy, but the factory repair center took care of it. My only complaint is that they could have explained the problem more fully so I would not repeat it (which I have).

I did remember a bad one last night.

Walther. I bought a PPK about 15 years ago and broke ejector after ejector. Two trips to walther and it still broke ejectors. I never got an ejector to last more than one range session. My dealer took pity on me and let me trade it in but Walther would not fix it after the second trip back inside 2 weeks.

sarge912
February 8, 2014, 06:45 PM
Henry has always been exceptional for me.
Rossi has been okay but did fail me once.
Interarms (when they made the Walther PPK) was outstanding.

silicosys4
February 8, 2014, 07:26 PM
Shipped my sig 1911 back on the 2nd, got it back today 6 days later. Shipping was free both ways. Seems to have fixed the ftf issue

I would have to rate sig at excellent.

Kahr's shipping label expired three days after they issued it because I couldn't take half a day off work to take it to a shipping center. Still haven't gotten another.

Welding Rod
February 8, 2014, 07:57 PM
Poor:

Kimber (and poor QC too)
BCM
Kahr

Good:

CMP (Probably the best ever)
Ruger (but really poor QC)
SAI (great service but really poor QC)
Rock River (great service but sometimes hard to reach)
CMMG (but poor QC)
S&W
RCBS
Hornady

Don't Know because Their Stuff has Always Worked:

Berretta
Winchester
Colt
Sig
Remington (only have experience with older guns)
Tikka

HexHead
February 8, 2014, 08:03 PM
Colt: Great. My New Agent was recalled for a new RSA and thumb safety. I registered online and the next day received a FedEx two-day shipping label. Took it to FedEx on a Wed., they received it on the Friday. It was worked on and shipped back to me FedEx two day on Monday and was back in my hands on the Wednesday again. Seven days door-to-door, four of those days were in transit and there was a weekend.

Silma: Awesome. Silma is a little manufacturer in Italy that just makes double barrel guns. I wanted to get some skeet chokes, so I emailed them inquiring about getting a pair. They emailed me back asking my address. I figured they wanted to calculate shipping or something. Two days later, the chokes were in my hand with a note requesting I send them a check for €35.

Arkansas Paul
February 8, 2014, 08:32 PM
About the only one I've really worked with was S&W.
Had a Sigma 40VE that was dropped and the front sight broke off. I told the guy on the phone that it was my fault and he said it didn't matter. I was expecting to pay for it since I did it, but they fixed it for free and paid the shipping. Top notch service.

Rugerspyderon
February 9, 2014, 12:40 AM
Ruger is very good

Rugerspyderon
February 9, 2014, 12:45 AM
Vortex optics has even replaced red dot because I said it was big for my gun.

blueridgerunner
February 10, 2014, 05:16 PM
SCCY Industries A+

45crittergitter
February 20, 2014, 05:26 PM
Remington - D, based on experience of years ago.

Rohrbaugh - A, ditto.

bearcreek
February 20, 2014, 05:38 PM
Noveske: Great service. I ordered a sling mount and when it arrived it was the wrong one. The invoice had the right item on it but the swivel itself was different. I called them and they said just keep it and we'll send the right one. I got the shipping notice later that day.

Jitterbug
February 20, 2014, 05:58 PM
Excellent-Dan Wesson, BCM

Sig-Saur, excellent, my fault for repair, Sig took care of it.

Smith & Wesson, Good, QC-Poor, 629 never should have shipped, but parts replaced quickly.

Kahr-Very good, this was back in 2004

Horrible-Kimber, Customer Service, QC and repair is a joke, absolutely the worst experience in over 50 years of firearm ownership.

Many I’ve never had to try CS…Remington, Browning, most S&W, Ruger, Colt, Rock River, Winchester, Glock.

BillBloggins
February 20, 2014, 10:44 PM
RCBS- when they had the buy $300 get 500 hundred bullets deal I got jacked around. Part of their requirement was to send in the UPC code (the "box top") from the original packaging. Can't do this for the die sets as all that there is is the identifying label on the plastic die box, they do not come in cardboard packaging.

So it took me a while to finally get $300 spent on RCBS products. When I finally did I felt like a bald-headed kid sending off box tops from cereal boxes there was so much cutting up packaging to meet their requirement. I had to throw in a note about the die boxes and how I could not comply, but all of my original receipts were included.The paper and 'box tops' would have made a supply clerk happy. I was happy I was finally going to get some bullets as it was the height of the recent shortage.

Well, all my paperwork get returned to me with a form letter, stating "Missing original UPC codes". I called their Minnesota operation and talked to one of the most officious clerks I have ever encountered, she had total command of No, and It Is Not Our Policy. But I finally got a number from Nancy NoNo for customer service in CA and they took care of it, but I had to remail all the paper again to MN.

Bullets finally showed up, and I can proudly attest to the quality of all my subsequent Lyman products. My green will not be going to Green again.

Water-Man
February 21, 2014, 12:53 AM
I've had the best customer service from Springfield and Ruger.

Joshua M.
February 21, 2014, 05:01 AM
Both excellent and horrible experience with Para USA
The horrible... Had a LDA PDA in 9mm that was an absolute POS, they had it 3 times and had it in their possession twice as long as I had it in mine, And was getting nowhere.

The excellent... Found Travis Tomasie on 1911 Forum, within 30 minutes he tracked down my POS, found it to have been out of specs. Within 24 hrs, he had authorization to replace it with anything Para made, for even trade.. I looked for the highest MSRP, as I figured I'd just dump it when I received it, got a brand new Black Ops, loved it, and still have it to this day...

SC Shooter
February 21, 2014, 11:16 AM
I had a busted ejector on a Walther P22. Walther sent a replacement to my gunsmith at no charge with a quick turn around. No hassle at all.

ms6852
February 21, 2014, 03:01 PM
Springfield Armory , great, had an issue with my 1911 after several years and several thousand rounds, called them and they sent me an entire recoil assembly free of charge within 48 hrs.

Baron_Null
February 23, 2014, 10:41 PM
PSA- Great service
Bought their bargain basement M4gery from a local shop, and it had multiple FT Feed, FT extract, and stovepipes every magazine i put through it. Though it took awhile to reach them by email, but the communication was very fast as soon as they contacted me back. They sent a shipping label, and had it back to me within a couple weeks of my sending it out. For the trouble, they upgraded the barrel to the FN made option.

Tony k
February 25, 2014, 11:20 PM
Taurus: fair to good
I had a broken thumb safety on a PT1911 on February 2nd, 2014. I called Taurus the next day. They were friendly, and professional, but it still cost me $50 bucks to ship it back to them via fedex. I put the gun in the mail on the 5th of february. Winter weather delayed its arrival at Taurus until the 14th. They replaced the broken part as well as another broken part theyt discovered upon inspeciton. It was back in my hands by the 21st of february. The estimated turn around was 4-6 weeks. I had it back within about three weeks, and part of the delay was outside their control.

I would give them a higher rating for CS if it didn't cost $50 to ship it back. They only have free shipping on guns less than 1 year old. Mine is 7 years old. I really didn't expect free shipping, I just didn't like the fact that it cost so much and also that they didn't offer any other suggestions for lower cost shipping (such as going through FFL).

I have no other CS experience at this point.

grubbylabs
February 26, 2014, 12:49 AM
Sig

My experience was not so good. About 800 or so shots into a brand new Ultra and the recoil spring plug broke. I called them and they said they would replace it. They just did not know when. Not because they were out of them or something, but because the guys taking the call had no communication with the repair shop, which is were my part had to come from. They said if I don't see it by the end of 4 weeks I should call them back. To say the least I was disappointed with this.

They did get a the part to me in just over two weeks. It was a used part, but they got it to me. I could clearly see the wear marks in the finish from the spring. I would have thought they had better service than that.

ApplePie
February 27, 2014, 12:39 AM
This is a good idea for a thread. Thanks for starting it. However, I read all the posts and I'm trying to come up with a consensus. It's tough.

From reading the posts to this point, I'd say RCBS, Dillon, Ruger, and Hi-Point are at the top, S&W and Glock are good, Kahr is bad, but other results are all over the place. I did not see comments about Winchester customer support. Does this mean Winchester products have few problems?

I think another consensus is that Kel-Tec customer support is good, but is needed too often. That is my experience with Kel-Tec also.

This points out that good customer support does not make up for quality control.

I've never seen a scientific study of which firearms have the least amount of problems and which have the most problems. This data just does not seem to be available, making a thread like this even more valuable.

What we really need is to poll gun dealers who deal with many more firearms than the end user.

Jlr2267
February 27, 2014, 10:00 PM
Ruger has the best service I ever experienced. Sent me small parts for obsolete guns several times over the years no charge. It does not get any better.
Kahr is a whole different story. To start with very hard to get someone on the phone. Said they would send me a manual for my new cw9 the one that it came with had missing pages. The cw9 is long gone still no manual.

Exactly my experience.

stringnut
February 28, 2014, 05:58 AM
Had a bad experiance with Ruger. My brother and I purchased identical 250 Savage in full length stocks. Niether would feed. Sent both to Ruger. Feeding problem was resolved. Then found both had excessive head space. Like big bright ring in front of the web excessive headspace. Would close on a no go gauge with two layers of masking tape on it which is about .010. Sent them back in. Sorry we cannot fix that. Money back or pick a different rifle. Legally this is ok. The issue is that the rifles were limited edition run of 250. Pointing out that they could be fixed by simply setting the barrel back elicited the response "we do not repair firearms" . Suggested that they get a couple back from the distributor as there was still some left. Nope they do not do that either. Took the money. Found two others and both had excessive head space. Of course did not purchase either one. Purchased a limited run and I believe they should have went the extra mile, but, they did not.

sidibear
February 28, 2014, 07:40 AM
Competitor.
Brings the term crappy customer service to a new level
Owned two of them, .44 mag and .357 mag, and the ejector lock failed on one of them. They said to send the failed part back as it has a lifetime warranty. That was back in 2009 and still to this day despite many emails and phone calls, have never received any parts back. They wanted a copy of my firearms license which I sent, notification from the UK Customs that it was ok to receive the part, a letter from the US Customs saying it was ok to ship, address of a UK firearms dealer to send the part to and notification from the UK police that I was indeed allow to possess.
I jumped through every unnecessary hoop they wanted me to.
I sold the two pieces of junk for a lot less than I paid but was happy to be rid of them.
Seriously guys, one to be avoided at all costs.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
February 28, 2014, 08:08 AM
Best: Hk, FedEx lost a hand guard for a 416. Hk overnighted me a new one while. They took the claim up with FedEx. Sig is next, I bought a new P220, two weeks later they had the E2 grips. I called to inquire about buy a set, they explained the gun needed a slimmer mainspring and ask if I were able to change it. I told them yes, they only charged shipping, no parts cost at all.

Worst: Beretta! I bought a new 92 and it shot way low and left. They kept saying it was probably me. Even the shop owner shot it. Finally after he called they "allowed me to pay to ship it back". Took two months and I got the gn back. The barrel and slide were replaced (as I had marked them). They said nothing was wrong with the firearm. I sold it and other than an issued sidearm, never touched another. It was the 3 Beretta I owned, they are all gone now.

jon_in_wv
March 29, 2014, 09:58 PM
S&W- Worn magazine catch. They wouldn't send the part but they paid shipping both ways, had it back in a week with a new mag updated bag catch and replaced the recoil spring even though I hadn't asked them to. GREAT.

KelTec- Broken slide stop. Called them and they mailed the part free of charge. GREAT.

Taurus- PT22 would fire when locked. Didn't feed. Had to pay to ship it back to them. Got it back with the lock fixed and still won't feed ammo. Sent it to them again. Returned it, still not fixed. Gave up. I was paying as much in shipping and PIA as it was worth. POOR.

Ruger- Returned LCP for recall. They paid shipping both ways, got it back quickly, even threw in a RUGER LCP hat. GREAT.

HiPoint- Wanted a TS stock for my Hipoint Carbine to replace the older style. Gave them a call and they had it in the mail ASAP. I'm not sure if it was free or heavily discounted but either way I remember it was a very smooth and enjoyable experience. GOOD if not GREAT.

I'd guy a weapon again from S&W, Keltec, HiPoint, or Ruger in a second. Not from Taurus. Unless it was a PT92. I like the 92.

gspn
March 29, 2014, 10:14 PM
WORST…ROSSI!!!

It took over a week of calling to get a human being on the phone. Rather than deal with them I've just resigned to letting a gun stay broken until I decide to throw it away. It's not worth trying to get them to do anything.

kcofohio
March 29, 2014, 10:51 PM
Charter Arms- Very Good: Purchased a Mag Pug DAO, found a process in the cylinder machining had been missed. Called Charter Arms and talked with a lady, told her the problem, she took my info and said she'd pass it on. That day, or the day after, Nick Ecker, CA's president, called and I explained to him the details. He arranged to have it shipped to and from. Got it back within a week and a half.

Inebriated
March 29, 2014, 10:54 PM
Excellent - Remington. Quickly sent new barrel after I asked about the rib on mine not quite lining up with the flat on my Wingmaster.
Good - Ruger. MKIII 22/45 disassembly. Need I say more?

Are we also doing gun accessories?

bainter1212
March 29, 2014, 11:06 PM
Horrible - Kimber.

The only gun I have ever had to send back. I had to pay shipping both ways and they claimed that I caused the issue (don't know if I did or not, it just happened) and wanted me to pay them to repair it.
I love the gun but the QC sucks as well. Considering that the cheapest Kimber is $1000 you would expect above and beyond service......needless to say, I won't be buying another.

cammogunner
March 29, 2014, 11:13 PM
H&R firearms suck in almost..er every aspect of anything to do with customer support..thanks remmington

mole
March 30, 2014, 06:30 PM
Mossberg--My mossberg 500 had a defective part that I discovered about two years after I purchased it because it really didn't hinder it's functioning. I sent an e-mail to Mossberg about it and in a few days I had the replacement part in the mail free of charge. That was about 14 years ago. No complaints about that.

skeptical_in_Ohio
April 4, 2014, 09:27 PM
Ruger - Very good (maybe excellent, but haven't had any issue that would create the opportunity to prove it). My story. My LCR front sight vibrated loose and fell off someplace. Ruger sent me a new sight and roll pin within the week. My smith hung it on for a very nominal fee.

Henry - Excellent (actually HOLY COW!). My story. I bought a Octagon-barreled 22 Magnum (Henry model H001TM) used from a gentleman for a pretty decent price (it had a couple of dings on the buttstock). On shooting it I noted some key-holing. I thought it might be ammo but Googled using "Henry" and "keyhole", which led to a site or two that mentioned they might have had some QC problems with some barrels. I sent a note to their CS site and had a reply within a couple of hours telling me that they would replace the barrel, followed by instructions to retrieve a UPS label and package the rifle for shipment. Remember this was a used rifle, and please note also that I informed the Henry CS rep of this fact.

That was on March 21. I shipped the rifle on March 26, and it arrived at Henry on March 28.

It arrived back at my house yesterday, April 3 (I actually took delivery today, April 4 as I missed the UPS guy yesterday). On opening the box, the barrel had been replaced as promised. I also noticed that it was packaged like a new one (with the little sock on the buttstock and sleeve over the receiver, and a new owner's manual). My buttstock, which had a ding or two (noted above), was replaced with a new one. Recall again that this was a used rifle.

Six days from receipt to arrival back at my house. Wow. Just wow. I need another Henry.

UpperAtmosphere
April 4, 2014, 11:06 PM
I'll find out about Sig on Monday. Bought a P250 in 9mm, gun came with a .40 magazine. Is what you might call "a lil' problem."

roadliner
April 5, 2014, 03:47 PM
I've had very few instances where I had to return firearms to the manufacturer. Ruger had a couple of recalls in the last thirty years, paid shipping and had a fast turn around. More recently I had a blown extractor on a 995 carbine, my fault, some reloads were too hot. They paid shipping, fixed the gun and returned it very quickly. Whats more, since I had swapped out the factory stock for an ATI it didn't had the original front sight or receiver mounted rear sight. They replaced both and threw in a new mag. And this is for a gun that I bought new for less than $200.

Esoxchaser
April 5, 2014, 04:08 PM
Best I have experienced: Springfield, Sig, Ruger

Worst, and I mean by far the absolute most worthless, misnamed "Customer Service" department I have ever dealt with: Kimber.

gidaeon
April 5, 2014, 07:59 PM
I have been treated right by Ruger (x3), S&W and Hi-point.

marv
April 5, 2014, 08:33 PM
RUGER is the BEST. I called them about my LCR's trigger. Next day UPS picked it up on Ruger's dime. A few days later they called and said that it was beyond repair and they were shipping a replacement. I picked it up at my FFL this morning. Ten day turnaround and most of that was in transit.

plmitch
April 5, 2014, 08:36 PM
Great luck with H&R. Worst is Ruger!

AlFarkle
April 7, 2014, 09:31 AM
Ruger is excellent. Had two events. Fifteen years ago, one year ago. Apparently the culture has not changed. They took care of things

JudgeHolden10
April 7, 2014, 06:30 PM
RCBS and Dillon have been outstanding each time that I have called. They're sent replacement parts and shipped them without charging me.

Ruger has been great for me, repairing my LCP, which was having issues jamming. It was a used firearm, which made no difference to the service representative. Turnaround was under two weeks, and I have not had problems since.

S&W has been adequate. I had a 686 repaired (canted barrel), but it took almost six weeks.

Great idea for a thread, by the way.

newfalguy101
April 7, 2014, 06:43 PM
Sent a DPMS Lite 16 in because I couldn't get it zero'ed, the rear sight was all the way left and I was still hitting about a foot away from center.

Once I got past the customer service guy who suggested I just smack the front sight, ( when asked how far I could move the front sight before affecting the gas, it got real quiet, then he transferred me to the gunsmithing department ). The smith listened to my issue and told me to send it in, cost me maybe 10-15 for shipping and had it back in about a week.

That is thus far my sole experience with any warranty work on any guns.

GlowinPontiac
April 8, 2014, 12:16 AM
SCCY = Excellent service.

I bought the pistol for $100 off a friends father and after putting 30 rounds through it I found a hairline crack in the slide. Called the factory and they sent me out a whole complete slide assembly, barrel and all. Also a prepaid label to send the broken slide back.

Sniper66
April 8, 2014, 06:06 PM
I have had to return guns for repair to Ruger, Savage, and Anschutz. All of them were excellent. Also returned scopes to Leupold...great service. Had an issue with Primos, the caller I bought was missing 2 connecting nuts. With some perseverance, they came through.

postalnut25
April 9, 2014, 04:16 AM
I've only used S&W customer service. I broke the front sight on my M&P Pro, and they sent a new one out free of charge.

B!ngo
April 9, 2014, 04:51 PM
Three data points:

Smith and Wesson: 'Good'. The revolver's front sight was bad out of the box (very bad), but they promptly paid for shipping and turned it around and got it back to me quickly;
Heckler and Koch: Judgement call here. I'll grade them 'fair'. I had a case failure that led to an extractor failure in my P7M13 (I believe it fired on a slightly open ejection port blackening my hand and arm; splitting the case and all that goes with it). H&K would neither pay for shipping or repair costs but turned it around quickly. I guess their perspective is that it wasn't their fault (cheap gun show reloads - lesson learned) but I expected a P7 to be about as tough as a bank vault. I still think they are and it was just an odd occurrence.
ElPasoSaddlery - in progress but 'Good' so far. I ordered a leather holster for my S&W 629 PC V-Comp. An altogether odd-shaped gun admittedly. I'm on my second shipment and it still doesn't fit. But they have been helpful, offering to make it right and I have no question but that they will. If anything, I've been the one being slow in responding back to them on their offers to provide info and feedback on the fitment issues. So good folks and I guess that this model is rare enough that they've not ever built one before. I would surely buy from them again and recommend them to others.
B

PapaG
April 10, 2014, 12:33 PM
worst: Thompson Center. Sent in a request for a part six months ago. Got two emails acknowledging my request. No further response.
Best: Strum Ruger. Sent in a badly abused Super Blackhawk I'd snared for a song at a gun show. They replaced barrel, ejector rod and associated parts, rear sight, a few internals, then polished, blues and shipped it back in a new box. The grips were the only parts I recognized. No cost except the shipping.

Texas Gun Person
April 10, 2014, 01:15 PM
I've only had to contact CS for a gun once, and that was Mossberg. They were great. It was completely my fault as to how a part become broken, and they still replaced it at no fee to me. Even picked up the shipping.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Companies with poor and good customer support" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!