First Boar of the Year Video

PDA

Double Naught Spy
February 6, 2014, 05:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qjN-fEiOLA

...and it was a zombie hog.

I have never had one move around this much (dirt dance) on the ground and then try to get up, especially not after enduring a significant head wound (entered top of head and exited ear). A good lesson here of remaining on target until certain the hog is dead.

The zombie hog is now at the processor. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "First Boar of the Year Video" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
model4006
February 6, 2014, 05:38 PM
What round?

Double Naught Spy
February 6, 2014, 05:47 PM
It was in the vid, but here it is and other specs...

6.5 Grendel Hornady SST 123 gr. ~ 2500 fps from 20" barrel
Pulsar N750 digital night vision scope
UNV20IR infrared illuminator (www.ultimatenightvision.com)
Hog - Boar, 120 lbs
Distance - 65 yards

The round has performed very well previously for me from this rifle out to 175 yards and even getting my first double kill at about 100 yards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LqjPNmhahs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34G3byWHA9c (different scope, Pulsar N550)

Mike1234567
February 6, 2014, 05:52 PM
I think I would have hit it again sooner.

Double Naught Spy
February 6, 2014, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I know where you are coming from, but so long as the hog is dirt dancing and then goes still, they usually succumb quite quickly, but not in this case.

Mike1234567
February 6, 2014, 06:26 PM
I hear ya'... just a bit painful to witness. Looked like well-placed shots. :)

AKElroy
February 6, 2014, 09:22 PM
Most of my head shot hogs flat spin a bit before going out. Yours was a bit different in that he actually got up on his hind legs, so your first shot may have been a bit off the mark.

I took one ear to ear 3 weeks back, and he spun on his side enough to make a near perfect circle of dirt. His head was hollow, body didn't know it. Pretty typical in my experience.

AKElroy
February 6, 2014, 09:46 PM
I think I would have hit it again sooner

Nah. I would have waited it out, especially if he was an eater, at least until he got his rear legs under him. He nailed him again the instant he did that, which was the right call IMO. Until then it was a pretty typical dirt dance.

Double Naught Spy
February 6, 2014, 10:16 PM
... so your first shot may have been a bit off the mark.

Yes, I could hear Bob Uecker's voice from Major League saying, "Just a bit outside!"

BigBore44
February 7, 2014, 09:26 AM
Always love watching member's vids. Direct, to the point, no commercials, impact shots. Congrats on that nice little hog. And it was a good shot guys. Lets not forget, windchill of 8 degrees.

Flintknapper
February 7, 2014, 08:35 PM
"Zombie Hog".....hah, pretty good.

Of course, you know what my reply is going to be:

.458 SOCOM (Making dead...PERMANENT, since 2001)

Just kidding, I like the Grendel and you made a good shot.

I also think you waited an appropriate amount of time. We've all witnessed the 'throws' attendant with brain (or near brain) shots.

Once the animal tried to gather its feet underneath it (probably NOT consciously) you immediately put it back down. Perfect, if you ask me.

Good job and thanks for sharing the video.

Flint.

Mike1234567
February 7, 2014, 09:09 PM
I SO-O-O-O want to buy another .458-S. I had to sell mine sometime back. Dead hogs...

Double Naught Spy
February 9, 2014, 11:41 AM
.458 would be nice for the semi-auto aspect and platform. I like the caliber and have really enjoyed my .45-70 lever counterpart, but it is rather hard on the NV optics, LOL, so I go with a bit less caliber.

If you enjoyed reading about "First Boar of the Year Video" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!