Good deal on binoculars

PDA

mljdeckard
February 8, 2014, 02:52 PM
You guys who know more about optics than I do, is there a brand and line I should look at for a good set of binoculars for general and varmint hunting, mostly in the desert? I inherited some from my dad, but he was infamous for being cheap, and these are at lease 25 years. Can I get something decent for $100-150?

If you enjoyed reading about "Good deal on binoculars" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Speedo66
February 8, 2014, 06:26 PM
I've had good luck with Steiner. Find them on sale and they might fit in your pricing.

mljdeckard
February 8, 2014, 06:40 PM
As have I in the army, I will be surprised if they have any in this price range. :)

Haxby
February 8, 2014, 07:05 PM
In that price range, you probably get better optics with porro prisms. Everybody always used to say that was true. Older Nikon Action Extremes were pretty darned good, and the new ones probably are, too. Leupold Yosemites get very good reviews.
As long as you stick with something like a 6X30, 7X35, or 8X42, and a familiar name like Bushnell, Leupold, Nikon, or Vortex, you should get a good binocular at that price.

Txhillbilly
February 8, 2014, 09:20 PM
Although most won't recognize the name,ZenRay optics has some excellent bino's. I was going to purchase a new pair of Steiner's,but after reading several comparison testings,and reviews I bought a pair of the ZenRay ED3 10x43 binoculars.
I was absolutely pleased when I first looked through them. They leave my Steiner Predator 10x42's in the dust on every level of comparison that I tried them against.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/

They have some really good deals on their demo stuff,and it carries a full warranty also.

Lloyd Smale
February 9, 2014, 07:55 AM
nikon monarchs.

jrdolall
February 9, 2014, 08:39 AM
Ones set of binos that I really like are the Bushnell Perma-focus. I have no idea how the technology works but I can focus on something at 50 yards and then move out to 150 yards and things are still in good focus. I think I paid $60 or so for mine on Amazon. They are NOT the clearest or most durable binos on the market and with the 10x you can't focus on anything 20 yards away but they are decent optics at a good price.

jmr40
February 9, 2014, 08:50 AM
At that price these are excellent.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-6x30-BX-1-Yosemite-Binocular-P48061.aspx

I read about these on another forum where some professional guides highly recommended them. Bought a pair and started leaving $600 glass at home. Someone stole the 1st pair from my truck and I replaced them with 2 sets just in case they stop making them or jack the price up.

You want the 6X version. The objective on the 8x ones is too small to work in low light, but would probably be fine in good light.

Peter M. Eick
February 9, 2014, 09:51 AM
Another vote for Steiner's. I really like my miltary/marine models that I spent the time and focused once. Now they just work at all distances so they are very easy to use quickly.

Outlaw Man
February 10, 2014, 11:02 AM
What type of varmint hunting in the desert? If you're talking about 'yotes, you can probably get by with several of these mentioned. If you're talking about prairie dogs at 200-300 yards, I can tell you from personal experience that your budget won't do, unless you find a good deal on some gently used ones.

In your price range, I like Bushnell, Nikon, and, if you can find a deal, Leupold. Vortex has got some good optics, but I've never handled their binocs. Steiner has different levels (as most of these do). I'm certain their high end binocs would be fine, but I've never looked through their less expensive models.

taliv
February 10, 2014, 01:00 PM
make sure you check out the samplelist.com. i picked up a SWEET set of demo vortex HD binos for way less than retail

mljdeckard
February 10, 2014, 11:30 PM
The ones I got from my dad are permafocus, I'm just curious to see what has changed in 20 years, I guess.

RainDodger
February 16, 2014, 11:18 PM
Good advice above. Save your pennies though and get the best you can afford. It WILL make a difference. Good glass costs $$ but there's a difference between average glass and good glass.

I bought some Steiner "Police" 10X50s and they're very nice - NO comparison to my WWII vintage Bausch and Lomb 10X50 monsters. :)

Binocs have come a long way in the last few decades. Waterproof, weatherproof and shockproof. Pretty much bulletproof!

I also bought a very small pair of Minox 10X for traveling. They were about $150 and I don't travel without them anymore. Very bright. They were a replacement for a 20 year old of Pentax binocs... far, far nicer.

skoro
February 18, 2014, 10:26 AM
Can I get something decent for $100-150?

The Nikon Action Extreme line offers decent optical quality with good weather resistance in your price range. I have a pair of 7x35 that I like a lot. Great for daytime use.

Lloyd Smale
February 21, 2014, 07:57 AM
bottom line is your probably going to have to buck up to at least 200 bucks and thats finding something on sale. Under 200 bucks and your probably not going to find nitrogen sealed barrels that wont fog up and if you do the company would have to save by using glass and coatings that arent good. What i would do is first save at least 200 bucks. Saving a few more dollars for something thats going to be with you for a long time might be wize. Then id call doug at cameraland and ask him what hed recomend. they usually have demos and discontinued stock thats half price. They also have a layaway program where you could put your 150 down on a better pair and pay by the month until you get them paid for. take my word for it. You wont regret waiting once you have a decent set in your hands.

bigarm
February 21, 2014, 02:45 PM
I've had good luck with Cameraland also. They do have demos at good prices. I bought a demo rifle scope and it looks brand new. I also bought a Vortex spotting scope from them and saved a lot of money.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good deal on binoculars" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!