Ruegr Old Army trigger overtravel stop

PDA

AbitNutz
February 9, 2014, 08:27 PM
kwhi43@kc.rr.com started a post discussing how a trigger stop could improve your accuracy. So I finally got around to noticing how much overtravel my ROA really has...and it's a lot.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=736736&highlight=trigger+stop

He showed the conventional methods of putting a stop in, through the rear of the trigger guard or through the trigger itself. Neither appealed to me. I have a Colt Python with a set screw stop through the trigger and it annoys me.

I wouldn't hesitate to go the through the trigger guard method as I have an Power Inc grip-frame on it. However, there is no way to get a drill and tap in there. It would be too low, in my opinion, on the guard.

Then good old Doak suggested modifying the trigger return plunger. Bingo! I do not have the talent or equipment to do what Doak outlined but I did the "Idiot gunsmiths" fix and it worked out shockingly well!

All I did was find a #6 brass screw with some unthreaded shank. I then thinned down and reduced the head diameter with some files and a grinder. I reduced the head diameter to fit through the plunger tunnel which left just enough beyond the body diameter to act as a spring seat. I then thinned the head down so it wouldn't put hardly any pre-load on the plunger spring. (I believe that would increase the trigger weight.)

I closed a coil on the spring just enough to grab the brass shaft. Just like it does with the plunger on the other end.

Now all I had to do was file away the brass shaft to where the trigger would drop the hammer. It was a bit of trial and error but I ended up with only about an 1/8" shaft before it would contact the plunger tip and stop the trigger. Yours will likely be a different length as mine is in a Power Inc grip-frame...not a stock ROA.

I tried it out today and it works stupid good. The trigger breaks like glass and stops.

It's possible I've got it "too close" and after a long string crud could prevent the hammer from going to full cock...but we'll see. All I would have to do is file a bit more off. All in all a 5 cent brass screw and an hour at the work table seems to have paid off.

However, if Doak decides to make a true adjustable plunger...I'm a buyer! kwhi43@kc.rr.com was right. A trigger stop does improve your accuracy immediately and my ROA had a lot of overtravel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruegr Old Army trigger overtravel stop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
flahipneck
February 9, 2014, 09:16 PM
Great idea!

robhof
February 9, 2014, 10:15 PM
Sounds great, wish you had taken pic's of the process!:what:

BowerR64
February 10, 2014, 01:03 AM
You know i think we might have lost his knowledge. I think kwhi43@kc.rr.com might have been banned for good.

I was hoping it was just a time out kinda thing but he may be gone for good.

Patocazador
February 10, 2014, 11:21 AM
What? Was he banned for being too good a shot?

Ridiculous!

BowerR64
February 10, 2014, 11:33 AM
I think he can still accept personal messages wich is weird.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruegr Old Army trigger overtravel stop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!