Trail camera thieves ..... Beware!

PDA

JJHACK
February 12, 2014, 10:38 AM
http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/image23.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Trail camera thieves ..... Beware!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ChefJeff1
February 12, 2014, 08:03 PM
My thoughts exactly!

jmorris
February 12, 2014, 08:07 PM
He wouldn't call your bluff, if you posted the sign with said photo.

Mike1234567
February 12, 2014, 08:22 PM
^^^ Right :D

tomrkba
February 12, 2014, 08:24 PM
So he's threatening murder over a camera? Perhaps a trip to the Sheriff's office to file charges would be more appropriate.

BigBore44
February 12, 2014, 09:57 PM
Had the same thing happen last season. Would I kill over it? No. But I would love to have caught them in the act. Would have been a beat down. I HATE thieves.

ChaoSS
February 13, 2014, 08:28 AM
I've always wondered how many of those things get stolen on a regular basis.

Art Eatman
February 13, 2014, 09:26 AM
Relax, tomrkba. It's on a par with the no-trespassing sign which says, "Have gun and backhoe."

Me, I think the picture of the perp should be posted around the local area. "Look what my trail cam found!" And at the SO and a copy to the game warden.

MCgunner
February 13, 2014, 10:24 AM
Relax, tomrkba. It's on a par with the no-trespassing sign which says, "Have gun and backhoe."

My wife just choked when I read her that one. :D Yeah, those "we don't call 911" and "survivors will be prosecuted" signs are everywhere around here. :D I guess maybe it's more of a Texas thing?

Mike1234567
February 13, 2014, 10:29 AM

Me, I think the picture of the perp should be posted around the local area. "Look what my trail cam found!" And at the SO and a copy to the game warden.

Yeah, post the photo around town and ask for anonymous tips.

wyohome
February 13, 2014, 10:31 AM
A friend lost his bear bait barrel and chain. The camera got some good pictures that were posted on Facebook. Everybody knows everybody here, and the stuff was returned. In an area as sparsely populated as Wyoming, it pays to be a good neighbor.

shootstraight57
February 13, 2014, 10:54 AM
I just picked up a sign while in Sarasota that says
WARNING
Due to the price increase
ON AMMO
Do Not Expect
A WARNING SHOT

Mike1234567
February 13, 2014, 11:00 AM
^^^
:D

JJHACK
February 13, 2014, 11:13 AM
Not sure what us more amusing

This picture

Or the hysterical over reaction

Art Eatman
February 13, 2014, 11:33 AM
Such hostile warnings are quite entertaining. Trouble is, a Grand Jury has a very little sense of humor.

jrdolall
February 13, 2014, 11:47 AM
It's gonna be hard to convince a Grand Jury exactly who posted this sign. Does handwriting analysis work on writing done with markers?

buck460XVR
February 13, 2014, 12:13 PM
Appears the camera owner and the thief have about the same mentality and respect for the law.

MCgunner
February 13, 2014, 12:24 PM
Such hostile warnings are quite entertaining. Trouble is, a Grand Jury has a very little sense of humor.

Precisely why there are no such witty signs around my place or on my T shirts. :D

Art Eatman
February 13, 2014, 02:14 PM
Aw, buck, hunting poachers is fun.

I heard my back fence creak just before daylight one morning, as a poacher climbed over. I just waited by the trail, knowing he'd come along. I leaned against a big tree, where I would be to his right as he walked along.

You have no idea of the human capability for levitation when a very, very loud "GOOD MORNING!" blasted into his earbone. :D:D:D

buck460XVR
February 13, 2014, 03:00 PM
Aw, buck, hunting poachers is fun.

Yeah, you're probably right Art.:D

I've been here long enough I'm sure you know my thoughts on poaching. I've been pretty vocal here about my feelings toward folks like that. :cuss:

But this wasn't poaching....this apparently was trespassing and robbery(I admit tho, poaching is a form of robbery). Either or all could have been much more easily resolved by giving the photo of the thief to the proper authorities than making vain threats and maimin' a coupla trees by pounding big azz nails in 'em. Again, similar mentality. Odds are the thief was a friend of the camera owner. Odds are too, that this incident was as real as the proverbial "magic bullet".;)

Art Eatman
February 13, 2014, 04:44 PM
Maybe it's fifteen years of moderating, but it's hard for me to get very excited over "Harumphs" of this sort. A lot of them are sorta fun. (Or treat them as entertainment, to avoid insanity. :D)

Face it: That OP sign is an expression of frustration--and nobody likes thieves.

Back at the old family place near Austin, I regularly dealt with various trespassers, mostly teenagers. Hard to be nice to a kid who's just climbed overr a six-strand barbed-wire fence who says, "I didn't know anybody owned this." Grit. My. Teeth.

hq
February 13, 2014, 05:23 PM
So far the most effective signs has been an official looking warning of land mines and some barbed wire. That might work a bit better here on old WW2 battle grounds (even though they've been thoroughly demined decades ago) than in the US, but there's little chance anyone wants to trespass an area where there's even the slightest chance of stepping on a potentially functional anti personnel mine. ;)

readyeddy
February 13, 2014, 06:19 PM
I like the sign, especially to 2 eyes drawn into the o's of the word "look".

Flintknapper
February 13, 2014, 08:10 PM
Art Wrote:

Back at the old family place near Austin, I regularly dealt with various trespassers, mostly teenagers. Hard to be nice to a kid who's just climbed overr a six-strand barbed-wire fence who says, "I didn't know anybody owned this."

Just post a few of these around.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/doberman_zpsaf97139c.jpg

zdc1775
February 13, 2014, 09:54 PM
So far the most effective signs has been an official looking warning of land mines and some barbed wire. That might work a bit better here on old WW2 battle grounds (even though they've been thoroughly demined decades ago) than in the US, but there's little chance anyone wants to trespass an area where there's even the slightest chance of stepping on a potentially functional anti personnel mine. ;)
You know there are some places here in the US that signs like those might actually draw idiots in with metal detectors to try and find them. We have some real winners over here, as I'm sure you do too.

But on the topic of the OP's sign. I personally think it's funny. It could also be a way to try and keep someone he knows from getting a theft or trespassing charge.

bison
February 18, 2014, 02:29 PM
I went to my ranch last weekend and found that both of my cameras had been stolen by some d-bag. I'm going to hide a few to try to get photos of whoever did it (if they come back) and am going to post a similar sign, just saying that I already have pictures and to put the cameras back or I go to the sheriff and post them all over the internet. Hopefully the bluff works, but I'm not counting on it.

jrdolall
February 18, 2014, 09:22 PM
Reminds me of the old joke about the watermelon farmer who found that someone was stealing melons. In an effort to scare off the thief he put up a sign that read "One of these melons has been poisoned". The next morning he found a sign in his field that said "Now two of them are poisoned".

eclarsen
March 3, 2014, 06:27 PM
archerytalk.com has a 98 page thread w/ 1) pics of trespassers caught on trail cams and 2) posts about not being able to post pics of trespassers because their trail cam was stolen, 3) posts w/ pics of trespassers stealing bogus trail cams while hidden trail cam is catching the action, 4) advice on how to deal w/ said trespassers, 5) posts on how you can't actually deal w/ trespassers/thieves that way and stay out jail yourself, 6) the obligatory reply "that is why I follow the "SSS rule", and 5) assorted posts of relief that there aren't "that sort of people" on their property.....yet.

W.E.G.
March 3, 2014, 07:00 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/notrespassing-1.jpg

ldlfh7
March 4, 2014, 02:26 PM
I bet that guy never won a spelling bee lol!

jmorris
March 12, 2014, 09:13 AM
The sign has better effect if you picture a toothless fellow in coveralls, whom your not sure would bury you or just feed you to the animals.

Much better than,
"Good day kind Sir, please allow me the time to inform you that, at the request of the land owner, your presence is unwelcome at this time.

So cheerio and fond farewell to you."

MtnCreek
March 12, 2014, 09:30 AM
^ That's funny!

A few years ago I was kayaking down a fairly small stream (bumpy ride!). When the water got slow, I had a ultralight w/ a small rooster tail to fish my way through. Saw a bunch a yellow signs ahead and when I got closer they read "Danger Venomous Snake Habitat". The water was slow enough that I was able to make a few passes through there. I forgot to mention the electric feeder and the 18" rainbows. :D

anothernewb
March 12, 2014, 10:33 AM
those are some good signs.

Reminds me of one I saw in my friends neighborhood. His sign read "Be very quiet, I'm hunting burglars. So are my neighbors"

Martin12
March 19, 2014, 04:10 AM
I lost one as well and I'd only just invested the 120 bucks in the thing a couple of months previously. Wish I had a secondary set up - now I know better however!

Double Naught Spy
March 19, 2014, 09:16 AM
I was hoping to see the pic of the guy stealing the camera. Darn.

Mike1234567
March 19, 2014, 10:53 AM
Someone needs to invent a decoy camera with a built-in GPS locator... but not so the thing can be tracked. Once the thing is ten miles away from it's programmed location... it releases a stink bomb that can't be cleaned away.

Art Eatman
March 19, 2014, 11:13 AM
Yeah, a methyl mercaptan "bomb" would be an attention-getter. :D

Double Naught Spy
March 19, 2014, 03:17 PM
As cheap as game cameras can be, those measures would be more expensive than some of the cameras.

Mike1234567
March 19, 2014, 03:28 PM
Sorta not the point. The point is teaching thieves a lesson... and that oh, so sweet smell of revenge.

Double Naught Spy
March 19, 2014, 07:01 PM
Um yeah, that "teaching thieves a lesson" thing doesn't seem to work so well.

Mike1234567
March 20, 2014, 12:24 PM
Okay, a stink bomb set off in their vehicle may not "teach thieves a lesson" but it'll still stink up their vehicle... hopefully forever.

Hunterdad
March 20, 2014, 01:54 PM
A lot of guys here on their high horse. If someone stole your camera, would you just fart out a rainbow and ride away on your unicorn or would you be upset?

Obviously the guy was pretty irate that his gear that he bought with his hard earned money was stolen. Thrieves are at the bottom of the food chain.

Claude Clay
March 20, 2014, 02:27 PM
watermelon farmer ( not C Bronson...) got tired of thieves and posted a sign " One of these melons is poisoned."

couple days later the 'One" was marked out and replaced with "Two".

---> kinda backfired.

----------------
my guess is he did not have a 2nd camera and was bluffing.

bet he has 2 now...

Speedo66
March 27, 2014, 12:49 PM
Front towards enemy

Mike1234567
March 27, 2014, 04:26 PM
I have a measly two acres. Better watch out that you don't look like a deer or feral hog trespassing and stealing. I live in Texas.

Art Eatman
March 27, 2014, 08:40 PM
Looks like about enough for now...

If you enjoyed reading about "Trail camera thieves ..... Beware!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!