Not sure about these tracks

PDA

gobysky
February 12, 2014, 11:07 AM
They're close to dog tracks, but I'm not sure since Bobcats, and a Cougar have been spotted in our area.

If you enjoyed reading about "Not sure about these tracks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
calaverasslim
February 12, 2014, 11:26 AM
Chupacabra Maybe!!!! :neener:

SFreed
February 12, 2014, 11:30 AM
Definitely canid, IMO.....(Not ruling out a Chupacabra!).

hunttheevil
February 12, 2014, 11:36 AM
Kind of looks like a coyote to me. You have any yote's up that way? If not another vote for the Chupa!

Bobson
February 12, 2014, 11:44 AM
That's probably a yote. Cats walk with their claws retracted, so they don't show up in tracks.

buck460XVR
February 12, 2014, 12:24 PM
Since the pad only shows one lobe....it is definitely a canine.

JJHACK
February 12, 2014, 01:17 PM
Well done buck460XVR!

The quickest way to seperate the two.

Ranger Roberts
February 12, 2014, 01:40 PM
I cast a vote for coyote or feral dog.

JERRY
February 12, 2014, 01:45 PM
canine for sure, probably werewolf.

gamestalker
February 12, 2014, 03:29 PM
100% canine!

Or, they could be baby big foot?

GS

rcmodel
February 12, 2014, 03:31 PM
I'm going with coyote.

But without a measurement or frame of reference on the size?

Could be a Grey Fox.
Or a Chihuahua, or a Great Dane.

rc

buck460XVR
February 12, 2014, 04:53 PM
I'm going with coyote.

But without a measurement or frame of reference on the size?

Could be a Grey Fox.
Or a Chihuahua, or a Great Dane.

rc

Yep, without something for a size reference I'm hard pressed to claim anything other than it's in the canine family. Yotes tends to walk more in a straight line than dogs and don't "dog track". Both tracks(I assuming one is a front and one is a rear) being relatively close to the same size and imprint makes me think it may be a dog. Yote front tracks are generally larger than rear tracks and generally show more pad.

JJHACK
February 12, 2014, 06:00 PM
http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/image24.jpg

Wolf track in the blue mountains near my home in Wa. Next to my iPhone for size.

gobysky
February 12, 2014, 06:01 PM
Yea, I should have included a measurement. I'm guessing it was no less than 4 inches across.
I bought a Moultrie trail camera at the local hunting store today, so maybe I'll get lucky and see what's been making these tracks. I'm will be anxiously waiting to see.

buck460XVR
February 12, 2014, 07:18 PM
Yea, I should have included a measurement. I'm guessing it was no less than 4 inches across.

Starting to sound like a dog.

http://westernwildlife.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/TrackSizeComparison.jpg

Patocazador
February 12, 2014, 07:43 PM
They look a bit wide for a coyote. Their foot is like the picture above .. more linear.

If they're small, maybe a fox. If they are larger, it's your neighbor's beagle. ;)

gobysky
February 12, 2014, 07:51 PM
I think what triggered my interest in these tracks was the fact I found animal manure in my chicken pen that wasn't from the chickens. Something climbed over the fence. Good thing the chickens were locked in their house.

I'll post my Trail camera pictures if I get any tonight.

Flintknapper
February 12, 2014, 08:43 PM
Dog track.

Coyote track is decidedly narrower and longer in profile. You will learn to quickly recognize the difference with practice.

Fun to find nice imprints like those in the snow, mud, sand....stirs up something primal within me.

Great post, thanks for sharing.

Flint.

eastbank
February 13, 2014, 08:26 AM
track of a large yote i missed in deer season,3006 shell for comparision. eastbank.

witchhunter
February 13, 2014, 09:51 PM
East, how could you have missed, he must have been as big as a Shetland pony!!! That is a big yote track!

Art Eatman
February 13, 2014, 10:17 PM
I've never had occasion to track in snow, but the OP picture doesn't look like the coyote tracks I've seen that I know are coyote tracks. Length/width ratio wrong. Too wide.

eastbank
February 14, 2014, 07:45 AM
ART, there was a lite crust on the snow, and the yote broke thru the crust making the track larger than it may have been in mud. why i missed,well it was colder than a well diggers arse, my eyes were watering like a broken water main and i was bundled up like a first grader with my rifle over my shoulder and my nose was running like the amazon river. with all that going on i would have missed a elephant at 10feet. eastbank.

eastbank
February 14, 2014, 07:52 AM
one of the five yotes trapped last season and where i missed the yote in deer season. eastbank.

Art Eatman
February 14, 2014, 10:32 AM
Ah, so.

If you enjoyed reading about "Not sure about these tracks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!