Safe Barrel Spec.

PDA

25cschaefer
February 13, 2014, 08:32 PM
I am building a 50BMG bolt gun in school an am trying to build it correctly, i.e. safely, but for little cost. I am using only 4140 steel for the receiver and barrel accessories and am having it professionally heat treated.

My question is: does anyone know what the US military does/did use for bore and rifling specifications? I know that 50 BMG barrels are supposed to be .500 lands and .510 bore but what are the Mil-spec tolerances?

I have the opportunity to buy a factory second barrel from a very good barrel manufacturer that is .0005 small on both dimensions. I am wondering if the military would have found this acceptable.

I am not building a benchrest rifle. I am not building a benchrest rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Safe Barrel Spec." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 13, 2014, 09:02 PM
I don't know what the +\- mil-spec tolerance is.
But rest assured it is more then that.

But 5/10,000" is so small you could lap it out with bore paste on a lead slug in 30 minutes.

And I don't believe it would make any difference if you didn't.

IMO: .005" would truly be a deal breaker, but .0005" isn't.

rc

25cschaefer
February 13, 2014, 11:39 PM
Thanks RC, that's what I was thinking, I wouldn't have even known if the maker hadn't told me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Safe Barrel Spec." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!