TN CCW amend. dies in office

PDA

Fly320s
April 1, 2004, 07:53 AM
This is the first I've heard about it.

A bill to amend the CCW laws of TN to allow Handgun Carry Permit holders to carry in businesses that serve alcohol for on-premise consumption has died in committee.

As it stands now, we can carry into liquor stores and other stores that sell alcohol as long as they don't sell for on-premise consumption. So I can buy all the booze I want at a store but I'm not allowed to enter a restaurant that serves wine.

I'm looking for a link to the story and the bill.

If you enjoyed reading about "TN CCW amend. dies in office" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
April 1, 2004, 07:56 AM
No carry in the Land of Orange!!!:fire:

Does this include sushi joints?:what:

JCOJR
April 1, 2004, 10:05 AM
Here's a link and story:

http://tennessean.com/government/archives/04/03/49191055.shtml?Element_ID=49191055

Motion to reconsider handgun bill fails in House subcommittee

Associated Press

A bill that would allow holders of concealed firearm permits to carry a handgun into bars, restaurants and sporting events has stalled in a House subcommittee.

On Tuesday, the subcommittee concluded that the measure died last session when it failed to receive a majority among panel members. A motion to reconsider the bill, which would have required a two-thirds vote of the committee, failed 3-3-1.

''This is a right-to-bear-arms issue that is very important to a lot of people across the state,'' said Rep. Tré Hargett, R-Bartlett.

The bill proposed allowing those with handgun carry permits to bring their firearms into restaurants, bars and other public places where alcohol is served, including speedways, sports stadiums, zoos, coin-operated laundries, bowling alleys and golf courses.

The bill would not allow the permit holders to drink alcoholic beverages while carrying a weapon. It would give businesses the option of banning handguns.

Hargett said none of the 150,000 Tennesseans who have concealed carry permits has been convicted of a felony related to their weapon since the law was passed 10 years ago.

''I'm more concerned about a gun sitting under a person's car seat while someone's inside that restaurant than I am somebody concealing that weapon while they're having dinner,'' Hargett said.

El Tejon
April 1, 2004, 12:10 PM
I'll have to get my sushi to go then? Maybe delivery to the hotel?:(

Fly320s
April 1, 2004, 12:13 PM
Sorry, El T.

You could willing disarm yourself and leave your fate up to the whim of your favorite force-of-life.

BTW, when are you coming down here?

If you enjoyed reading about "TN CCW amend. dies in office" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!