recoil pad size?

PDA

old fart
February 14, 2014, 05:37 PM
i am going to get a recoil pad for my 12 gauge pardner pump, would it take a small, medium, or large? and would it also depend on the maker? i'm getting one online as my local shop don't have anything. thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "recoil pad size?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneounceload
February 14, 2014, 08:21 PM
Measure the current pad and get one that is close - you will most likely need to have it trimmed a little

loose noose
February 14, 2014, 09:24 PM
What one ounce said, you'll need to have it fitted, I prefer the "Limb saver" pads, as well as Kick eez both are quality pads. The Packmeyer Decelerator is also a nice pad and from personal experience the easiest to fit.

Personally I like to have the pad approximately 1" on the ends and as close as possible on the sides, in order to fit the pad with aesthetic appeal. In other words have the pad flow with the lines of the stock.:D

jehu
February 15, 2014, 09:17 AM
Get a Kickeez slip on, fast good fit with the right size and no alterations to the gun.;)

old fart
February 15, 2014, 12:39 PM
my stock is 4.75 the best i can see using a tape measure, that would mean a size small in most pads.

oneounceload
February 15, 2014, 01:20 PM
If you go to the various maker websites, they should have instructions on how to properly measure to get the right size

old fart
February 15, 2014, 10:36 PM
with a slip on pad do i leave my old one on?, or do i take it off and put the new one on? i know the stock will be longer if i leave it on, but will it fit against the hollow part of the synthetic stock good if i take the old one off? thanks

gamestalker
February 16, 2014, 02:52 AM
Save your money for a properly fitted quality pad, slip on pads are junk, IMO.

GS

oneounceload
February 16, 2014, 07:56 AM
The issue with a skip-on pad is that they still move around as you are trying to mount the gun, especially over an existing pad. you would be better off with a regular pad installed.

Virginian
February 16, 2014, 09:31 AM
I disagree. IF you get a quality pad like a Pachmyr, and you get the right size, it does not move around and you can't tell the difference aside from the appearance. But, with hollow synthetic stocks, there is often a reinforcing plate as part of the pad so you get the effect of having a solid butt on the stock. I have not seen a slip on with a plate built in. A slip on that is not over the original pad or at least the plate probably won't work too well.

If you enjoyed reading about "recoil pad size?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!