Big Kansas Buck

PDA

rcmodel
February 14, 2014, 08:21 PM
I stumbled across these pictures today by accident.

Shot by my brother-in-laws son bow-hunting north-west of Iola KS along the Neosho river in 2003.

Far as I know he never had it scored for the record books.
But he probably should have!

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=194965&stc=1&d=1392427225

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=194990&stc=1&d=1392496026

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Big Kansas Buck" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sun Tzu warrior
February 14, 2014, 08:39 PM
That is one nice buck!
You are correct he should have had that one scored for the books!
Congrats to him! I've taken a buck (also a bow kill) which scored 162 and 5/8" gross, but never a net score. I belive if mother nature made it, then it should be counted! I've heard that Kansas was producing high scoring bucks, your nephew's buck, is proof of that! Thanks for sharing!
STW

rcmodel
February 14, 2014, 08:51 PM
Yes, I'm sure it would have been very close to a record non-typical, if not just a record in any class.

It should have been scored.
And mounted!

But he was kinda between jobs at the time, and was more interested in the meat to feed his family!

rc

witchhunter
February 14, 2014, 10:21 PM
We don't see the whitetails out here at all but that one is a thumper! Nice buck, anywhere.

rcmodel
February 14, 2014, 11:24 PM
Yes, there are for sure some big corn & been fed old Whitetail bucks still sneaking around Kansas.

I almost ran over the Hartford Insurance buck a few years ago on a pre-dawn coyote hunting trip two miles out of the city limits.

I'd bet he weighed 350+ pounds if he weighed an ounce.
I thought it was a moose in the headlights as I was slamming on the brakes and sliding to a stop on the gravel road about 25' from him!!!!

He just stood in the middle of the road and looked at me for what seemed like 1/2 a minute before walking off the road back into HIS corn field.

I pity the 75 pound yearling doe that sucker caught unawares during the rut! :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0b/The_Hartford_Financial_Services_Group_logo.svg

rc

toiville2feathers
February 15, 2014, 12:23 AM
That buck can be scored at anytime and if large enough it will be entered in either pope & young or boone & crockett.
The #1 Typical whitetail deer, Know as the Jordan Buck was not scored for some 30 years after it was shot. A Minnesota hunter by the name of Jordan shot it. There is an very good story about the deer being lost during the depression, because he didn't have enough money to pay the taxidermist. The taxidermist sold it, and the antlers were gone. Quite a few years later, Mr. Jordan was in Florida at a garage sale and they had this mangy flea bitten deer mount for sale. He recognized it and knew that it was the big buck he shot back in the late 1920's. He bought it and brought it forward to be scored and it was the #1 typical white tail for many years.
Just goes to show you its never to late to get them scored.
By the way, the buck in your picture definitely needs to be scored.

Patocazador
February 15, 2014, 11:28 AM
Pope & Young - no question about it.

Placing animals in the record book is mostly an ego thing. However, it also creates a record of what type of animals were available in different areas.
IMO, some record books, like SCI, were created simply to satisfy hunters' egos. I shot 6 animals in Africa that would qualify for SCI but I passed on that option. If I killed a P&Y or B&C animal, I would be stoked but probably wouldn't bother with the record books unless it were number 1. :D

BigBore44
February 15, 2014, 03:31 PM
rc,
That buck is in the 170's. Good spread. Very heavy and great tine length. What did he do with the antlers?

rcmodel
February 15, 2014, 03:53 PM
Far as I know, he mounted them on a wood plaque and hung them on his wall.
That was the plan anyway.

I haven't seen him for a couple of years though.

rc

matrem
February 15, 2014, 06:30 PM
That buck is in the 170's.
My eyes see 200 or more nontypical inches.
But then.

Little pictures and my aging eyes, could be off a inch or three.

red rick
February 15, 2014, 06:46 PM
That is a nice buck . Seeing one like that makes me not want to hunt . A big buck in my county is 180 lbs. . It's a shame he couldn't afford to get it mounted , that is sure a trophy .

Thanks for the pictures .

Patocazador
February 15, 2014, 07:38 PM
It's hard to tell from a photo but I see 205+ gross.

matrem
February 15, 2014, 08:30 PM
Do I hear 205 and a half? 206? 206 and a half? 207?
Just kidding.
Having the good fortune to lay eyes and hands on great bucks over the years before the cloth tape was pulled tight, one thing I've learned is never, ever, initially underestimate anybody's buck except maybe your own.

Seeing one like that makes me not want to hunt

That would only make me want to hunt more.

Flintknapper
February 15, 2014, 08:57 PM
Definitely needs to score that buck.

When I was a kid we lived in Independence, Kansas (Southeast Corner). Iola is a little bit North of that. In the mid to late 1960's just seeing a deer track (let alone a deer) would cause quite a stir.

I don't know the history of the restocking effort there...but it certainly worked!

Vol46
February 15, 2014, 11:59 PM
Beautiful deer.

surjimmy
February 19, 2014, 01:59 AM
WOW!

sage5907
February 21, 2014, 12:50 PM
rcmodel, I can't help myself but I always analyze a picture. First thing I saw was the leaves on the trees and his sleeves rolled up which indicates the buck was taken early in the year, probably in October. The next thing is the short hair on the deer, which also indicates it is an early season deer because I would expect a Kansas buck to have longer hair later in the year. The buck has really heavy antlers and a good looking cape which would have made an excellent shoulder mount. Sad if the hunter mounted the antlers on a small wooden plaque.

rcmodel
February 22, 2014, 01:34 PM
You get the Sherlock Award! :D

The deer was shot Fri, Oct. 23, 2009.

I mistakenly said 2003 in the first post.

rc

ZeroJunk
February 22, 2014, 01:55 PM
If I saw that around here I would run and hide.

If you enjoyed reading about "Big Kansas Buck" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!