Your priceless cheapo

PDA

WestKentucky
February 15, 2014, 01:55 AM
Most folks have one cheapo that they have fallen in love with. For me it's a Phoenix arms hp22 in nickel finish. Got it as a teenager and have worn it out 3 times and rebuilt it now 3 times. This time may be the last as the slide is wearing thin in places. The little pistol is very accurate, comfortable, and very reliable.

Tell us about your cheap treasure.

If you enjoyed reading about "Your priceless cheapo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
roadliner
February 15, 2014, 02:02 AM
I guess the one that comes to mind is the Chinese Tok that I bought new for $105 years ago. I can't say that I "love" it, but the infrequent times I've taking it out to shoot I'm reminded how well it runs. I have some cheaper guns, .22 mostly that never see the light of day anymore. Just waiting for a gun buy back program.

Inebriated
February 15, 2014, 02:03 AM
My Marlin 795. Second gun I ever bought, and was the one that went to the range with me every time for quite a while.

Glock19Fan
February 15, 2014, 02:10 AM
My first gun ever was a Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22LR/.22Mag(WMR) when I was 16. That was 10 years ago, and I will never sell it. I havent shot it in years but because it is a great firearm, it has sentimental value, and it falls into my latest type of collectables (western/cowboy style firearms) I have plenty of reasons to keep it.

Honorable mention goes to my Raven Arms .25ACP from the early 1970s. It has a chrome finish and faux pearl grips. My first job was at KFC and after we were robbed one Friday night I decided to carry this everyday even though I was only 18 at the time. I still have it, and believe it or not it is pretty darn accurate for what it is and I have never had a single jam. The bullets will punch through a 2x4 with ease, so I dont have any doubt that it would penetrate deep enough to count.

1911 guy
February 15, 2014, 02:14 AM
I bought a cheap "philipino beer can" Charles Daly 1911 a long time ago as a beater. Turns out it's accurate, reliable and feeds every type of ammo I've tried to put through it. Probably 10,000 rounds later, it's only got about 1 1/2 inch of rifling left in the bore but still keeps about 2" groups at 25 yards.

xxjumbojimboxx
February 15, 2014, 02:14 AM
I second the rough rider!,

But my First IO ak will be forever treasured...she runs like a top

Schwing
February 15, 2014, 02:31 AM
My #1 true el cheapo gem is my Mossberg model 46b .22. It is worth about $75 but it will never be parted with as long as I draw breath.

larryh1108
February 15, 2014, 11:15 AM
My Hp22a. Love it for what it is.... cheap, fun
My Raven. Like mentioned above, fun, accurate and reliable for what it was made for.
All of my Llamas. Real guns for real cheap prices and great range fun.

MedWheeler
February 15, 2014, 11:37 AM
I have a sweet spot for these kinds of guns, too, and still have the Jennings J22 I bought back in 1987. Never gave me any issues (and I used to shoot it quite a bit the first few years), but I admit I haven't taken it shooting in decades.

I also have both the HP22A and the HRR. Neither is going anywhere. Funny; right before sitting down to log on, I got the Heritage out of the safe just to handle it some!

bannockburn
February 15, 2014, 11:55 AM
Years ago I had a Raven that I bought new for less than $50. Wasn't going to win any beauty contests but the gun worked and at the time it was affordable.

200Apples
February 15, 2014, 12:07 PM
My favorite cheapo is my $100-ish 1940 H&R single-shot break-action 20 gauge.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Z63R/Mobile%20Uploads/20131229_194522_zpsd15f3625.jpg

It might have been the $100 1940 H&R single-shot break-action 12 gauge, but I cut that one to 20" and it kicks like a mule, so.... :p

:-)

MikeJackmin
February 15, 2014, 12:24 PM
Several years ago there was a batch of Romanian .22 training rifles available. I found a particularly sad example, with all but one of the rear leaf sights broken off, a gouged stock, a weak extractor and missing magazine. The bore, however, was perfect and the rest of the action seemed OK. I think I got it for $30.

I'm a sucker for guns like this, the way that some people can't resist sad unwanted animals at the pound. Usually I repair them and make them more presentable, but not this one.

Turns out this gun is a perfect match for the Colabri powderless .22s I like (the old, lower-powered version they don't make anymore). The remaining rear sight is spot-on with these things at 30 feet, which is just right. The empty magazine well serves as a perfect ejection port, the extractor would just drop them straight down with no trouble at all. It's easy to load as a single shot, once I'd learned the habit of rotating it 90 degrees while inserting the shell.

I shoot this gun more often than any of my other rimfires, mostly taking down pine cones and shooting hovering carpenter bees out of the air, shots I wouldn't dare with a full-powered .22 (the colabris were less powerful than my air rifles). No hearing protection is required either, which makes a pretty big difference for casual shooting like this. I carry it around the yard whenever the mood strikes and don't care if it picks up another bump or two. I've dropped hundreds of carpenter bees with this thing.

Of all my rifles, this is the only one that never had one of those low-powered rounds get stuck in the bore. I'm guessing it's a bit oversized, another fault that became an accidental plus.

It's just as ugly as the day I got it and I never fixed a thing. Turns out it was perfect all along.

forindooruseonly
February 15, 2014, 12:46 PM
Surprisingly, the cheap gun I was most fond of was the Kimmel AP-9, the Tec-9 ripoff. It was terrible in all aspects, except I apparently had the only two in existence that didn't jam. It could be shot with accuracy, if you got used to the sights and terrible trigger, but I ran enough bulk 9mm (back when it was super cheap) through it to be pretty good at point shooting it.

Good for nothing, but fun. I should have kept them.

jrdolall
February 15, 2014, 01:14 PM
My first Hi Point C-9 was less than $100 and has been absolutely flawless with any type of ammo. It is a truck gun that gets shot regularly. I now own 3 C-9s.

aarondhgraham
February 15, 2014, 01:25 PM
My Taurus 22-PLY,,,
It fits the "cheapo" category,,,
Two years ago I paid $201.00 new from Buds.

http://www.aarondgraham.com/lwat/handguns/33-scilla.JPG

The little thing likes Wal-Mart Federal Bulk,,,
It's never jammed on me,,,
Not even once.

I liked it so much I bought the .25 ACP version as well,,,
I named them Scylla and Charybdis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Between_Scylla_and_Charybdis).

I'm at my office right now,,,
But I'm going to the range in about an hour,,,
They are both in my car as I carry the .25 and plink with the .22.

The year before last I was attending a Rimfire Steel Challenge match,,,
About halfway through the ejector on my Ruger 22/45 broke,,,
I finished the match using the 22-PLY and did very well.

After the match several shooters asked to try the little thing,,,
I know for a fact that two of the people got a 22-PLY for themselves.

It's a cheapie in price,,,
But a winner for performance.

Aarond

SP2000
February 15, 2014, 01:38 PM
My 1993 Marlin 60. First gun I bought when I turned 18. It's pretty beat up now but still runs like a champ. Paid Less than $150 for it new at Service Merchandise.

HellTrain
February 15, 2014, 01:44 PM
It would have to be my HR 1950s single shot 16 gauge my dad gave me when I was 12. I've used that thing to kill most everything here in illinois and still take er out every year

gdcpony
February 15, 2014, 03:45 PM
My Rock Island 1911.

josiewales
February 15, 2014, 06:49 PM
My Mosin 91/30. Cheap to shoot, accurate, reliable. Isn't a task I put it to that it doesn't master.

sappyg
February 16, 2014, 12:58 AM
Ruger 10/22 for me. It goes about it's business in a workmanlike manner for a working man price. At $200 I wouldn't call it a cheapo but it has everything you need and nothing you don't for a good price.

CoalTrain49
February 16, 2014, 01:10 AM
My cheapo is a Ruger MKII target. I think I payed $150 for it used about 20 years ago. I've had more fun with that one pistol than anything I own. 22 LR is an obsolete cartridge now I guess.

Deus Machina
February 16, 2014, 06:35 AM
Me and Ivan, my Mosin Nagant M44 get along just fine.
He hits more or less what I point him at even if my aim isn't that great. Nice and solid. And he cost me $69.95.

WestKentucky
February 16, 2014, 08:32 AM
I too have a model 60 my grandpa have me when I learned to walk. Logical next step was to learn to shoot. I have since ended up with 3 more of them. One in a bull pup configuration, another my wife bought because it fit her so well, and the most recent is a lost&found special. Was found on private property and nobody with permission to be there had lost it. Serial number is clean so I bought a beater stock for 10 buck to replace the broken one that caused it to get found. It was in a jeep trail and the stock broken when they ran it over. It flew up and landed on the hood. I have 2 hours in cleaning it and 10 bucks in a stock, and that's it. Shoots like a dream but don't like to load the last shell.

FROGO207
February 16, 2014, 09:36 AM
Another for a Jennings J22. Was at the LGS years ago and a guy tried to sell his to them. They offered him like $15 for it. Out in the parking lot we talked a bit and he offered to sell it to me for $25. I said OK after seeing that it was not even shot from what I could tell. Got it, 2boxes of CCI Stingers, a IWB leather holster, and two spare MAG's. Not a bad deal for the late 70's IMHO. I can keep all the bullet holes on a paper plate at 6-7 yards and find that amazing for what it is.:)

Carried it for a time as a BUG with no harm other than holster wear.

Reloadron
February 16, 2014, 12:10 PM
I have an old 9 shot NEF 22 revolver that was given to me 20 years ago. Then maybe 10 years back I loaned it to a neighbor and forgot about it. Neighbor passed away and his kids returned it to me as they disliked guns. So now it sits back here again. Actually for a small short barrel revolver it shoots OK. Then there is a pair of old top break revolvers with nickel peeling off that I use as baby wall hangers. If the city ever has another $100 gun buy back those suckers are gone and I'll buy ammo with the money. :)

Ron

JERRY
February 16, 2014, 12:36 PM
RIA 1911 G.I.
ive had a few folks laugh at my Filipino 1911 bought new for $340 out the door. they werent laughing when they were clearing jams with their kimbers, tauruses, and colts while my RIA kept shooting at a friendly shoot-off a few years ago.

DSAPT9
February 16, 2014, 01:23 PM
I picked it up not to long ago and love it. A savage 755A 2 3/4 12 gage semi auto (basic updated browning A5) Paid 75$ for it.

The bluing was gone off the aluminum receiver and had some issues with the wood so I painted the receiver and cleaned the wood with a little TLC.

It is just dang fun to play with and will shoot any 2 3/4 rounds from cheap light weight to heavy with just a change of the spring lay out.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/DSAPT9/DSC_0508-q_zps85712a16.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/DSAPT9/media/DSC_0508-q_zps85712a16.jpg.html)

wally
February 16, 2014, 02:16 PM
Another RIA 1911 very happy owner, Paid like $275+tax when they first started appearing, didn't expect a lot, but over 15,000 rounds later its still my range favorite. It hurts that the red dot optic on top cost more than the gun! Old age hurts more :(

StrutStopper
February 16, 2014, 02:57 PM
Bought a cheap Marlin 60 probably around '89 or '90 for about $100 or so. It's wearing a Boyd's stock now with some upgraded springs and probably outshoots my CZ455.

Twiki357
February 16, 2014, 08:29 PM
I guess mine would be a Llama Micro-Mini in .380. I wanted one for a number of years and finally found one on GunBroker. When I went to my local gun shop to see about handling the transfer, WOW… There’s the same gun in his case for $10 less. So, what’s the big deal? It’s the first gun I bought after escaping from California. :)

armarsh
February 16, 2014, 08:56 PM
In the late 70's my dad bought 15 or 20 cheap 22's and single shot shotguns from a local pawn shop to resell as farm truck guns.

One of them was marked as a Coast-to-coast model 42 (Marlin 70). Dad let me buy it for what he had in it. Best $12.50 I ever spent. Runs and shoots well.

There seem to be a lot of Marlin 22's in this thread. :)

Onward Allusion
February 16, 2014, 09:20 PM
S&W 5946 Blackened SS with holster wear & traction tape all over. Got it for $225. I don't even know the round count on it anymore. Great shooter and I would trust my life to it. One of my favorite guns.

Pacsd
February 16, 2014, 09:56 PM
I recently bought a single action Heritage .22 with a .22 mag cylinder. It's quite the fun gun to shoot.

J_McLeod
February 16, 2014, 10:17 PM
Pretty much all of them. I have over a dozen guns and have spent more than $500 on only the two ARs. Favorites are the Marlin 22N and Kel Tex PF9.

srtolly
February 16, 2014, 10:50 PM
A pair of Glenfield model 60s I picked up for $175, both great shooters. I have more but these are the most fun.

TennJed
February 16, 2014, 10:55 PM
My S&W 422 I paid $200 for last year and my Makarov 380 that I paid $199 for about 3 years ago

Hondo 60
February 16, 2014, 11:06 PM
For the last 3 years I've said some pretty unflattering things about Charters.

But after it's last trip to the factory, I'm totally changing my tune.
The current iteration of Charter has good management.
They not only fixed an issue I caused (missing latch spring), but fixed previous issues they caused 3 years ago.

It looks good & shoots like a champ now.
No it's not a Smith, Ruger or Colt, but it'll do.

http://www.jbabcock.net/guns/charter.jpg

230RN
February 16, 2014, 11:17 PM
MikeJackmin mentioned,

Turns out this gun is a perfect match for the Colabri powderless .22s I like (the old, lower-powered version they don't make anymore).

They don't? I'm glad I got a brick of them a while ago.

Of all my rifles, this is the only one that never had one of those low-powered rounds get stuck in the bore. I'm guessing it's a bit oversized, another fault that became an accidental plus.

I'm wondering if the barrel is just very well-polished from use.

Terry, 230RN

gatorwade
February 17, 2014, 12:33 AM
Short timin' in LA in 1971. Bought a Marlin 81 22LR bolt rifle for 33 dollars at a hardware store. Dragged it around for about 20 years, and gave it to a son of a friend.
Recently the father gave the gun back. It looked like it had been rattling around behind the seat of some farm truck for a while. A little rebluing and some stock cleaning and she looked good. I got old eyes, so put a scope on it, and it shoots 5 rounds inside an inch at 50 yards, with the loads it likes, CCI and Federal.
This gun's a keeper.

gbeecher
February 17, 2014, 12:56 AM
My Mosin 91/30. Cheap to shoot, accurate, reliable. Isn't a task I put it to that it doesn't master.
My1933 hex tula mosin-nagant rifle. Best value in a rifle for $89.95!

rondog
February 17, 2014, 01:20 AM
Probably my Remington 514 single shot .22. When I was 10 (57 now), my oldest brother gave it to me for Xmas, it had been his for years, no telling how old it really is. It still shoots remarkably well, and I just refinished the stock a few months ago. If I had it reblued it would look like a new one.

I guess it's not really a "cheapo", but it's not really worth much $$-wise. It's priceless to me though! I think I'll dig it out and put another coat of tung oil on the wood.

chriske
February 17, 2014, 10:47 AM
Some time ago (must be at least 20 years), Belgian police forces switched sidearms from .32 ACP pistols to S&W mod. 10 revolvers.
(They have moved on to Glocks since then).

Anyway,the police commissioner in my home town got stuck with a couple dozen brand-new, unfired FN Herstal-made Browning model 1910's in styrofoam containers, that became obsolete overnight, as .32 ACP ammo would no longer be supplied.
So he put them up for sale.

$ 15 bought me one of those beautifully finished old-time classics, and he threw in the purchase-permit free.
(Application for such a permit used to take at least 3 months and $ 30 to $ 60 worth of red tape, waiting, burocracy, taxes and such.)

I found it irresistable then (& incredible now). But I still cherish that gun.
What is the phrase... "an elegant weapon from a more refined age" or some such ?

potmetal
February 17, 2014, 10:56 AM
For me, it's an FEG AP7, a .32 version of the PA63. Worn finish, hard to pull slide, but shoots any ammo and is accurate.

Scooter22
February 17, 2014, 04:47 PM
Picked this pair of Mossbergs up at a small country gunshop. They needed some cleaning, cold blue and a little buffing of the stocks. Got them both for 80.00 bucks after a little dickering. I shoot them all the time.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/scooter222/1051.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/scooter222/007-19.jpg

Sam1911
February 17, 2014, 05:03 PM
K-31 for $125.

M-48 mauser for $139.

Don't suppose I'll ever beat those for value.

ol' scratch
February 17, 2014, 05:11 PM
I picked up a 1903 Springfield for $125 a couple of years ago. It has a good bore with a muzzle reading of .5. It was part of a package deal my granddad arranged. I really enjoy shooting my "cheap" rifle and love seeing peoples reaction when the subject of price happens to come up in conversation. :D

HisStigness
February 17, 2014, 05:13 PM
My mosin nagant 91/30 is far from my favorite gun, but considering I paid $90 for it, I couldn't see myself selling it.

OrangePwrx9
February 17, 2014, 05:35 PM
I've got three; all Remington 788s.

The .22-250 bought new in '68 for $88 and change. My first new rifle. Still the best shooting rifle I have.

6mm Rem. bought new in '71(?) for $110; not quite as accurate, but very good.

.308 carbine bought used in '97 or '98 for around $230. Metal perfect, but someone had done a bad bedding job. New plastic stock and some serious load development (it's picky) and it's one-hole accurate at 100 yards.

I like the cheapies if they're solid.

Wishoot
February 17, 2014, 05:51 PM
My $180 CZ82. "Inexpensive" for sure, but far, far from cheap. Still one of my favorite triggers.

OH_Spartan
February 17, 2014, 06:52 PM
I like my hi point 9 mm. Whenever I want to try a new powder or load..i feed it to my $100 gun first.

marv
February 17, 2014, 07:55 PM
My first gun, a Remmy 511 .22 S, L, LR. $14 N I B. Still have it.

chicharrones
February 17, 2014, 08:02 PM
K-31 for $125.

M-48 mauser for $139.

Don't suppose I'll ever beat those for value.

Hard to beat mil-surps when they were cheap! :cool:

thecarfarmer
February 17, 2014, 08:02 PM
My '57 Ruger Standard... it was $140 at the LGS (2011 price); got it because the difference in price between shooting .22LR and Makarov would pay for the gun in a few short range visits.

Ran a number of bricks through it; I completely wore out an extractor and magazine on that gun, and had to replace 'em; put new springs in on general principles. Almost can't see the rifling now.

I've bought guns for even less, but never had the amount of fun that Ruger provided!

-Bill

Sam1911
February 17, 2014, 08:06 PM
Hard to beat mil-surps when they were cheap!Yup. And those were only a handful of years ago (maybe 2005-6?). Nothing like the values my Dad and Uncle got back in the 60s.

chicharrones
February 17, 2014, 08:21 PM
Yup. And those were only a handful of years ago (maybe 2005-6?). Nothing like the values my Dad and Uncle got back in the 60s.

I got lucky on the mil-surp rifles, too. A 1896 Swedish Mauser in 1995 and a K31 in 2005 if I remember correctly. Not exactly pure mil-surp, but I also got a commercial Norinco SKS in 1992. I ended up gifting the Swede to the guy that gifted me the K31.

theotherwaldo
February 17, 2014, 08:24 PM
My old truck gun - a $200 Ruger Super Blackhawk.

Grassman
February 17, 2014, 08:28 PM
I'd say its an old Remington Targetmaster .22 that was in pieces, stowed in a closet. Dad was planning on re bluing and finishing the wood, but never did. Well I got it, re blued it, and finished the wood. Nice little gun now, I'd never sell it, but it can't be worth more than $125.

Yarddog
February 17, 2014, 08:46 PM
Well my $25 savage 6a gill gun "Click clacker" I got in '75 ; )
Y/D

Legionnaire
February 17, 2014, 11:44 PM
I'm enjoying this thread, but I don't have anything that qualifies as a "cheapo." Closest thing might have been a used Kel-Tec P11 I had for a while, but it got traded away. Have a couple that I bought inexpensively, but they aren't "cheap" guns ... like the pristine SP101 I picked up for $250. Also have a 10/22 that was originally inexpensive, but it's been so heavily customized that about the only thing original is the receiver. Don't get me wrong--I'd happily shoot a cheap gun. I just don't have any.

Delford
February 18, 2014, 12:16 AM
I'm another Mosin/Nagant $85 owner. 440 rounds of ammo also $85. I'm learning to shoot it but at 25 yards I'm in the black on a 8.5x11 target. At 100 yards I can hit the 8.5x11 paper ☺☺:-)
It's my first long gun - purchased in 09. Imagine what it would do with a scope! Or watch Enemy at the Gates.

Stacer
February 18, 2014, 01:44 AM
I have a model 92 winchester that dad got at a gun show for $50. It's beat up and worn, but it shoots well and I'm looking forward to shooting it more now that I got a reloading die for it

Cee Zee
February 18, 2014, 04:21 PM
Without a doubt it would be the Stevens 15-A my father gave me. He inherited it from a neighbor along with a farm and some other stuff. That neighbor was practically part of our family. Times have changed a lot in those days. That guy bought all of us kids something every day of the world. Usually it was bubble gum or something unless someone had a birthday. Then he would buy every one of us a present. That was a big deal for a bunch of poor kids like us. He had no family so he ate dinner at my grandmother's house every day. Wow things are so different now.

My brother hunted with that Stevens for a lot of years and killed a ton of squirrels with it. It is a very accurate sucker. My brother moved out and left it behind. My dad knew I needed a rifle (doesn't everyone?) so he gave me that one. I'll have that one until I die or give it to one of my kids. I had a 20 ga. Mossberg shotgun that had a similar story but I already gave it to my daughter for HD. I've seen those Stevens rifles sell for $50 many times. I've heard of people buying them for $35 or so.

jcwit
February 18, 2014, 08:33 PM
Far from being my less expensive, but probably my best buy, $50.00 for a like new Winchester 52B with all accessories, except the box. Year it was born 1946.

Thermactor
February 18, 2014, 09:53 PM
Great posts guys keep them coming

Beentown
February 18, 2014, 09:58 PM
Two...

Cz82

RG 22

Nathanael_Greene
February 18, 2014, 11:27 PM
A cheapskate by nature, I have a couple favorite bargain guns, but for some reason this one has a special place in my heart. $39.95, new in box:

HKVP70Z
February 18, 2014, 11:35 PM
Winchester 1911 shotgun for $100

gidaeon
February 18, 2014, 11:45 PM
nothing stellar but a these deals I smile about and will always keep in family.

Marlin 99m1 with rear sight everyone lost, and scope - $75

marlin 60 (mid 80's production with long barrel and "upgrades") scoped $75

A $79 mosin .. required a short DIY cut and recrown but thrilled with groups at 200yd with surplus post-work.

230RN
February 19, 2014, 03:31 AM
Beentown

Two...

Cz82

RG 22

Me, too. First handgun I ever bought. 1963-ish. Plunked my $ down, walked out of the store with it. Took it out the other day and it still shoots well, for what it is. Will never get rid of that little Saturday Night Special.

Reminds me of the days when it was a free country.

SC Shooter
February 19, 2014, 11:21 AM
Mine would be my Bulgarian Makarov. It's been a carry gun, a truck gun and a range gun. It is compact, tough, and fun to shoot. What else could I ask for?

larryh1108
February 19, 2014, 07:51 PM
What else could I ask for?

Free ammo?

hemiram
February 20, 2014, 04:00 AM
I have two of them. First is my "house gun", an Astra A-75. I got it very cheap, and I love the thing. I had two previously to getting this one, both nickeled. The .40 I hated to shoot, but I really liked the 9mm. I made a nice profit on it, and when I had some cash, I bought my present one.

The second one is my S&W 5906, got it super cheap, with all the paperwork and case, barely used, if at all.

NoKY guy
February 20, 2014, 10:45 AM
my cheapo that is so much fun to shoot is my Ithaca M49 single shot 22. The thing is fun and accurate. They are getting harder and harder to find in decent shape and not cost an arm (don't have to include the leg on this one).

mgmorden
February 20, 2014, 10:59 AM
An NEF Pardner 20ga. Got it on my 8th birthday. I think my parents paid $79.95 for it (which was what they sold for new at the time). Got my first deer with that gun, and still occasionally hunt squirrels with it. The forearm lug sheared off the original barrel when I was about 14. For close to 10 years I just kept the forearm taped on with electrical tape and that worked fine, then eventually I sent it to H&R to have a new 20ga barrel put on.

For handguns the closest thing I would call a "priceless cheapo" would be my Ruger P95. They're relatively cheap and I love that gun. I have better guns that cost more, and cheaper guns that I don't like as much, but the P95 I've always liked.

mavracer
February 20, 2014, 11:16 AM
I came across a Mossberg 44USd in my LGS a couple years ago and while it wasn't super cheap I walked it OTD for under $200 and I know tha at least when new they were super cheap. It is an absolute blast, I have shot 5 shot groups at 25 yards that look like a single 30 cal round.

Captain Capsize
February 21, 2014, 11:55 PM
My "barber shop" 30-30 is probably the favorite cheap gun I have. Went in for a haircut one day and noticed a sign on the wall that said "rifle for sale". So I said what is it and Gary the barber (part time gun dealer) said it is in the back go look at it. It was a Glenfield (Marlin) 30-30 with a Glenfield 4x scope. Cheap looking stock but the steel was nicely machined and bluing was great. Gary said 150 bucks. I said I'm going to the bank be right back. Took it to the range wasn't expecting much but found it would shoot 2" groups at 100 yds. And that was the best I could do with a 4x scope. I later found out that with a 16x scope and my 110 gr. reloads it will shoot 3 shot clover leafs. Shots 4 and 5 are 1" and 2" high. Can't beat that for the money.

stevek
February 22, 2014, 12:20 AM
No doubt my Ruger SP101, 2.25" barrel with a bobbed hammer. Bought barely used in FANTASTIC condition…$200

iLikeOldgunsIlikeNewGuns
February 22, 2014, 05:22 AM
Another Jennings J-22 here,
I've read and watched a lot of negative reviews about these little pistols, but mine has been great. Seems like you just have to use the right ammo. I never would have went looking for one of these guns, but mine found me, and after getting to know it, I'll never sell it.
CCI stingers and minimags get the best performance out of the gun, run 100%, and surprisingly accurate, considering the bbl is about 1.5"
Rem golden bullets work really well too for cheap plinking, and I find it to be VERY fun to shoot. Also the loudest .22 I've ever known. I have a beretta tomcat .32 I use as a b.u.g. but at home if I'm in a bathrobe I have my Jennings in the pocket, as it's incredibly light, slim, and small. You could easily forget about it and run it through the laundry hehe. I strictly only put a round in the chamber when I'm ready to fire, but a cool thing about the gun is I can work the slide to chamber a round quickly and easily using just my shooting hand, via index finger. It's pretty funny :D
I had very low expectations, and it has impressed me instead.

Also, bought a Mosin 91/30 a few years back for $90, love it. Solid, serious rifle.

*Kemosabe*
February 23, 2014, 01:52 PM
Auto Ordinance 1911 Pistol in 10mm

I paid $149 NIB on a distributor close out in 1989. At first there were many f-t-feeds but slightly radiusing the chamber cured that problem.

The fit and finish are only fair and the 10mm marking on the slide is in error: .10mm -- I guess that makes it a “needle gun”.

I put a grip mounted scope on it and I use it for bowling pins and I do fairly well with it.

mrbig381
February 23, 2014, 03:55 PM
A $29 dollar 91/30 ex sniper, tack driver.

forward observer
February 23, 2014, 07:14 PM
I walked into a pawn shop in mid 90's-- just to see what I might find.

I inquired about the price of a used Winchester M94 that caught my eye among the other 94's. The shop owner informed me that it was a pre-64, so he would have to have at least $140.

I almost choked. From the open front sight, ladder rear sight, curved iron butt plate, saddle ring, and 6 digit serial number, I knew it was a hell of a lot earlier than simply "pre-64". The bluing and wood were at least 75 to 80%, and although dirty, the bore looked good.

This was before the days that such stores had internet and it was kind of hard for small shop owners to be knowledgeable about every gun they had. Besides, Winchester 94's were common as dirt and handy pawn items---especially after deer season was over.

Still, I managed to get him down to $100. I paid for it, and I ran like a thief--back home to check the date. The serial number put it at 1915 production.
The bore cleaned up to like new with no pitting at all.

It was probably worth 4 or 5 times what I paid back then. In today's market--who knows? The few that I see on the auction sites that are this old and in this condition are usually priced well above $2 grand.

I took it deer hunting two seasons, but after bagging a few, I decided it was just too valuable to take to the woods on a regular basis. She'll be 100 years old next year. Not bad for a single Benjamin.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/forward_observer/forpost_zps2c4bb8ee.jpg

SFreed
February 23, 2014, 09:02 PM
Marlin Model 60. I remember walking in to Shipman's in Pekin Illinois the summer of 1974 with my Dad. He purchased 2 of them (No idea how much they were, but I can guarantee they were cheap) and handed one of them to me. I was 11 years old, and I can remember it like it was yesterday. I have both of them now, and wouldn't trade them for anything.
I managed to maintain possession of mine for a little over a month. I was in our pasture looking for things to shoot when I noticed the glass insulators for the electric fence. Shooting one with a 22 was very satisfying for an 11 year old boy, but not for my Dad. I recall having shot probably 25 - 30 insulators before my Dad came home and caught me. He was less than impressed with my marksmanship.

bushmaster1313
February 23, 2014, 11:17 PM
$250 for a 1956 Ithaca 37 12 gauge.

Chopped barrel to 18.5" and added a stock I got on the internet for $25.
Sold the original stock for $75, so total gun purchase price was $200.
Refinished the "new" stock and cut it to a 13.5" LOP including the recoil pad.
The metal and the pump handle have the orignal 1956 factory finish.
I am also a 1956 Model.
I really like this "El Cheapo"

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/90/cimg3604p.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/13/cimg3618e.jpg

bushmaster1313
February 23, 2014, 11:22 PM
delete

plmitch
February 23, 2014, 11:28 PM
My old mosin, work just fine for me.

Gun Master
February 23, 2014, 11:52 PM
My Taurus 22-PLY,,,
It fits the "cheapo" category,,,
Two years ago I paid $201.00 new from Buds.

http://www.aarondgraham.com/lwat/handguns/33-scilla.JPG

The little thing likes Wal-Mart Federal Bulk,,,
It's never jammed on me,,,
Not even once.

I liked it so much I bought the .25 ACP version as well,,,
I named them Scylla and Charybdis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Between_Scylla_and_Charybdis).

I'm at my office right now,,,
But I'm going to the range in about an hour,,,
They are both in my car as I carry the .25 and plink with the .22.

The year before last I was attending a Rimfire Steel Challenge match,,,
About halfway through the ejector on my Ruger 22/45 broke,,,
I finished the match using the 22-PLY and did very well.

After the match several shooters asked to try the little thing,,,
I know for a fact that two of the people got a 22-PLY for themselves.

It's a cheapie in price,,,
But a winner for performance.

Aarond

I bought an earlier .22 cal. version, about 15 yrs. ago for $100. It never failed me and I'm pleased with my purchase. It also has beautiful wood grips.:)

Gun Master
February 23, 2014, 11:57 PM
Most folks have one cheapo that they have fallen in love with. For me it's a Phoenix arms hp22 in nickel finish. Got it as a teenager and have worn it out 3 times and rebuilt it now 3 times. This time may be the last as the slide is wearing thin in places. The little pistol is very accurate, comfortable, and very reliable.

Tell us about your cheap treasure.
It is made of pot metal, and may, one day, blow up in your face. Please reconsider your choice. How much is your life (or eye, hand, etc.) worth ? Please check other posts about it on THR.

javjacob
February 24, 2014, 03:34 PM
best gun for the money IMO is the marlin model 60

welldoya
February 24, 2014, 05:30 PM
I've got a few that I got dirt cheap and have used the heck out of.
Picked up a Win 94 made in 1961 back in the early 90s for $70.
It's my "scrubbing" gun when deer hunting.
Also picked up an early 70s Ruger 10/22 for $50. My son shot the heck out of it when he was young .

Gun Master
February 24, 2014, 06:04 PM
best gun for the money IMO is the marlin model 60
I agree ! :)

Deltaboy
February 24, 2014, 07:36 PM
My single shot shotguns in 410 ,20 and soon 12 .

WaywardAce
February 25, 2014, 10:22 AM
My Savage/Stevens 9478 that I paid $60 for. I picked it up last year when ammo prices were totally out of control. The local pawn shop had just jacked up .45 acp to $1 a round and I had planned on buying 2 boxes. After seeing the price I said screw that and picked up the shotgun, a box of clays and 100 rds of shells for less than $100 for a great yet ultimately painful day at the range and a new gun to boot. Since then, I've fallen in love with it ... it's nice and handy and feels very rugged. I plan on giving it to my nephew on down the road someday and I look forward to it being regarded as "my uncles old shotgun that kicks like a mule".

tomturkey
February 25, 2014, 11:25 AM
The price back in the late 60's early 70's was a whopping $24.00.

It took a few months to get it since I think Herters waited until they had a number ordered before they got them manufactured in Germany.

If you lay it next to a Colt single six it is hard to tell the difference between the two.

I have it along with my Fox BST 16 ga that I got for Christmas the year I turned 12. I will never part with either until the good lord says it is time.

SFsc616171
February 26, 2014, 05:49 PM
Mine is a Taurus Model 82, purchased brand new for $250.00, with the barrel-length full lug.

kimberkid
February 27, 2014, 02:36 AM
Cheapo pistol CZ-52, paid $100 with 2 boxes of ammo ... IIRC ammo was 70 rounds per box, a little cold blue & replacement grips and it looks great.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/kimberkid/Toys/Pistols/Cheq_CZ52.jpg

Cheapo rifle is a 1930 something Sears Ranger 22 single shot for $40; rear peep-sight was missing but a jet from an old Holly carb fit perfectly, stock had been cut down to fit a youth which was why I bought it, when she out grew it I found an un-cut stock on eBay for $20 & free shipping ... Still a great shooter!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/kimberkid/My_22z/Sears_Ranger.jpgu

sugerwater
February 27, 2014, 10:54 AM
I bough a S&W Victory from my old Guard unit for $50. Never made it home with the gun as I stopped by my Dads to wish him a happy B-day. I showed him the 38 and he was hooked. I said Happy B-day and gave him the revolver. Dad passed 2 years ago and the S&W was returned to me. It's a keeper.

Backpacker33
February 27, 2014, 09:15 PM
There was a period in the '90s when my employer issued backup guns that were large and heavy. Several of us bought AMT Backup pistols. They were, to be polite, POS. In 45ACP they were rather heavy but could still be concealed on a belt or under a jacket. No one ever had to use one on duty, thank Odin. Practice on the range found them to be disgracefully unreliable unless one found a gunsmith who understood the problem and how to correct it. Some of us paid the cost of having one modified but, in the long run, they were a poor choice.

tomturkey
March 17, 2014, 10:57 AM
I just noticed the cheap gun I forgot in my other post hanging on a peg in the closet.

It is a Garcia (I think) Bronco single shot break down 22. I think I paid around $40 for it many years ago. I still have the box some where.

Basically it is a steel frame with no wood at all. By flipping a lever the barrel comes off the stock/action. It was great as I could carry it broke down in a sleeve made from a pants leg on the inside of my pack basket while trapping.

I did see a couple of these guns at a trapping convention and the asking price was $160.00

I forgot about another one. Ithaca model 66 super single. Lever break. I can't remember if it was $29 or $39. Shot the heck out of the first one until I noticed a crack by where the screw that holds the barrel on. Heck of a duck killer with modified barrel. When Ithaca sent me a whole new gun to replace the cracked one the sent a full choke. To dang tight. Replaced it with a model 12 heavy duck.

5-SHOTS
March 17, 2014, 11:09 AM
Norinco TT-Olympia .22L.R.

AirForceShooter
March 18, 2014, 10:17 AM
llama .380 I bought in 1965.
If I remember correctly it cost less than $80.
A USAF armorer tuned it for me.

Still going strong.
I have no idea how many rounds have gone through it.

AFS

ohioshooter
March 18, 2014, 04:01 PM
CZ-52

Dr.Rob
March 18, 2014, 05:50 PM
Free to me BRNO Kar98k.

Can't beat free. I spend a few bucks to get it back in military trim.

Tony50ae
March 18, 2014, 10:10 PM
Bought a Lorcin 25 auto for 25 dollars. It works and for 25 dollars figured couldn't go wrong. :D

bizmark
March 19, 2014, 04:58 PM
Got a colt 1849 pocket revolver for $40 bucks a couple years back. Wasn't immaculate but I figure it's worth a few hundred, at least.

Stevie-Ray
March 19, 2014, 05:37 PM
Taurus PT-22, a gun bought originally for the wife, so she could load it without actually racking the slide, which would be impossible for her. This thing is fun personified, and has been 100%, even firing mostly Yellow-Jackets.

krupparms
March 19, 2014, 11:50 PM
I picked up a Russian Makarov model PMM that I thought was a PM. It was all beat up & pitted along the slide. I got it for $180 w/ BGC. It is a 9×18mm model & came with a 10rd. Magazine. I was able to get 2-12rd. magazines later for it. It makes a great carry gun or just plinking! It is a great shooting handgun & I will hang on to it for awhile!

Rittmeister
March 20, 2014, 12:20 AM
My Argentine H-Power. Stuck in a bunch of Cylinder and Slide parts, Navidrex grips, Novak sights. Way too much invested in a $300 gun, and I continue to think about a drop-in barrel to try to increase the accuracy a bit. I do love the gun though, can't get rid of it.

Mayvik
March 20, 2014, 12:29 AM
Another HP22 here...my father got it for a birthday present for me the year he died, but never got the chance to give it to me himself. Does not hurt that despite the "pot metal" comment above it is a surprisingly good $100 .22. I may pick up a Ruger at some point for less sentimental plinking but given the current ammo situation may as well just plink with something reloadable...

If you enjoyed reading about "Your priceless cheapo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!