$149 Pietta Brass 1851 .44s at Cabelas

PDA

MikeJackmin
February 15, 2014, 12:37 PM
Just noticed this, two versions offered, seems like a pretty good price:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/pistols-revolvers/_/N-1100201+10000051/Ne-10000051?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

If you enjoyed reading about "$149 Pietta Brass 1851 .44s at Cabelas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EljaySL
February 15, 2014, 07:40 PM
It's not unusual to see them at that price, but you'll never see them much lower (maybe a free shipping promotion or whatever).

If anybody doesn't know, if you want to get one to get your toes wet in cap and ball go for it, just be aware you need to stick to lighter loads because of the brass frame.

hartcreek
February 16, 2014, 07:11 AM
You should have been watching the winter sale.....and picked up a Uberti Walker for $279.

Patocazador
February 16, 2014, 09:44 AM
I bought a 5 1/2" barrel one last year and I'm surprised at how accurate it is at 15 yards. The rudimentary Colt-type notch sight is actually spot-on on mine. I get 4" groups (standing-no rest) with a .451 RB and 17 grs. of 3FG.

Modernhoglegs
February 16, 2014, 11:26 AM
What EljaySL said.

The Lyman Black Powder Handbook, and Gun Digest Black Powder Loading Manual list ffffg(4f) loads, and these should be avoided in brass frame guns.
I would go further and caution agaisnt the 45 Colt replacement cylinders as well.

Enjoy!

BowerR64
February 16, 2014, 01:04 PM
The one i got from cabelas last year for $150 came with a starting kit and mine needed all kinds of adjustments. The barrel was really good it was the frame that was a little off. It came around and then shot good

The higher end one with steel frame needs less work IMO

I bought a 5 1/2" barrel one last year and I'm surprised at how accurate it is at 15 yards. The rudimentary Colt-type notch sight is actually spot-on on mine. I get 4" groups (standing-no rest) with a .451 RB and 17 grs. of 3FG.
The one i got from cabelas last year for $150 came with a starting kit and mine needed all kinds of adjustments. The barrel was really good it was the frame that was a little off. It came around and then shot good

The higher end one with steel frame needs less work IMO

Is that still the cheap $150. one? brass frame?

You must of got lucky then because i dont think they put as much time into the finishing of the cheaper ones.

I figure they test fire em (if they even test fire em) and the ones that shoot a little left or a little right are the ones that are always on sale. They all shoot high

Now clean it and put it all back together and see if it still shoots point of aim. Thats the hard part about a colt.

EljaySL
February 16, 2014, 02:47 PM
I think it's just luck of the draw. I have one of the brass .44 1851s and it shoot really well, no drama, timing's perfect. My steel 1851 (in the correct .36) could probably use a little off the hand - it functions but it's not ideal.

BowerR64
February 16, 2014, 02:52 PM
I think it's just luck of the draw. I have one of the brass .44 1851s and it shoot really well, no drama, timing's perfect. My steel 1851 (in the correct .36) could probably use a little off the hand - it functions but it's not ideal.
That could be also.

The quality IMO is still really good the finish on everything is good and the parts are good mine was just a little off on the frame. Caused it to shoot a little right.

Patocazador
February 16, 2014, 09:28 PM
My barrel fits so tight to the frame that it's difficult to remove it and to get it seated again. There is absolutely no play in it. But when it's back together, it shoots just the same as the 1st time.

I have an old Euroarms .36 brassie that I've had for 30 years. It's a PIA; loose, poor timing, and the cylinder constantly binds on the fired caps.

BowerR64
February 16, 2014, 09:47 PM
I have an 1860 that was tight but after 1 trip to the range and a few stiff rounds it loosened right up.

If you enjoyed reading about "$149 Pietta Brass 1851 .44s at Cabelas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!