Joined the Ruger Club

PDA

Willie Sutton
February 15, 2014, 09:28 PM
<sigh>... Well, I've been putting it off for decades, but I figured that since Pard-Bower had made the leap it was time for Willie to join in too.

Found a new, unfired, in the box with all papers time-capsule condition, stainless steel one "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty", adjustable sights and 7 1/2 inch barrel. It's just the configuration I wanted, and the condition and pre-warning age with the 200th year markings make it a bit nicer than the norml. Overpaid, as usual, but you only live once.

Now for a stainless .45 LC cylinder to round out it's utility and it's time for a shootin'.

Willie

If you enjoyed reading about "Joined the Ruger Club" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
J-Bar
February 15, 2014, 09:49 PM
Glad to hear you are going to get it dirty.

Welcome to the club!

Modernhoglegs
February 16, 2014, 10:20 AM
Enjoy it.
Mine was stolen in2012 during a burglary of my home.
My gun was gently loved and shot well.
I just had a hard time getting used to the grooved trigger.

Pentrite
February 16, 2014, 10:46 AM
Where's the pics?? just bought dies to load .45 on the dillon.. A nice long colt is my next "car payment". No one tell the wife..

whughett
February 16, 2014, 12:01 PM
<sigh>... Well, I've been putting it off for decades, but I figured that since Pard-Bower had made the leap it was time for Willie to join in too.

Found a new, unfired, in the box with all papers time-capsule condition, stainless steel one "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty", adjustable sights and 7 1/2 inch barrel. It's just the configuration I wanted, and the condition and pre-warning age with the 200th year markings make it a bit nicer than the norml. Overpaid, as usual, but you only live once.

Now for a stainless .45 LC cylinder to round out it's utility and it's time for a shootin'.

Willie

Don't know if stainless is softer than regular steel but it seems to scratch easier. I aquired mine in the 90's but just started shooting black in the last 16 months or so. The Ruger is picking up a lintny of small scratches and wear marks. It is my favorite c&b and shoots rings around any of the I-ty stuff. After a thousand rounds or so the action is slick and the trigger pull as good as any of my center fires. Round Balls,concials or R.E.A.L, with the adjustable rear sight it will shoot to point of aim. I have shot 10 or more cylinders with out cleaning and it seems to group better with a dirty bore.

If I only had one C&B revolver it would be the ROA

Have a blued conversion cylinder for the ROA but as I also shoot 45C in a Model 25 I don't bother shooting the ROA in that config.

Haven't joined the ROA group cause I can't figure out the photo upload process

BowerR64
February 16, 2014, 12:11 PM
ahh man you got the stainless?

Ive only got one stainless gun in my collection and ive shot it twice. Ill say this, cleanup was very nice.

Its hard to say but i think if i had a stianless one i might have to shoot it more often

I cut the barrel down on the stainless one and its been sitting and still doesnt have a spot of rust anywhere on it even around the fresh cuts

Don't know if stainless is softer than regular steel but it seems to scratch easier. I aquired mine in the 90's but just started shooting black in the last 16 months or so. The Ruger is picking up a lintny of small scratches and wear marks. It is my favorite c&b and shoots rings around any of the I-ty stuff. After a thousand rounds or so the action is slick and the trigger pull as good as any of my center fires. Round Balls,concials or R.E.A.L, with the adjustable rear sight it will shoot to point of aim. I have shot 10 or more cylinders with out cleaning and it seems to group better with a dirty bore.

If I only had one C&B revolver it would be the ROA

Have a blued conversion cylinder for the ROA but as I also shoot 45C in a Model 25 I don't bother shooting the ROA in that config.

Haven't joined the ROA group cause I can't figure out the photo upload process

Cant you just steel wool the scratches out? I kinda thought the finish on stainless was a sort of brushed finish? or a light abrasive polish or something?

whughett
February 16, 2014, 01:24 PM
Bower:
Not a brushed finish on ROA. Sorta a smooth polished surface, though not highly relective.
There are quite a few in the percussion cap loading area, from the capper, others on the left upper back strap form the clyinder more still on the barrel and frame. No deep dings as I don't abuse the piece. Just , I don't know, normal wear and tear on a piece that is moved around alot and used often.

Patocazador
February 16, 2014, 08:33 PM
My stainless model is full of small hair-like scratches but I've had it since '85 and have shot it a bunch. I hunt with it too and it gets twigs, vines, briars, etc. rubbing on it as I go through rough stuff. I don't abuse my guns but I don't baby them either.

Willie Sutton
February 16, 2014, 08:54 PM
Like any honestly worn thing, the scratches and scars of use only add to the value of something like this. Each one tells a story, and if you get enough of them, they all blend in and become the finish in their own right.

The Japanese have a term called "Wabi-Sabi" that describes beautiful random imperfections as a traditional aesthetic value. I first learned about it when a Japanese collector of watches stopped me on the street of Tokyo to ask me if I would sell my watch. He offered three times what it would have sold for brand new at the time (we are talking him offering me over $30K for a Rolex Sea Dweller that I've worn for over 30 years). I asked "why" and he smiled and said that it had tremendous wabi. It's true... the watch is beat up, scarred, and had been from 1000 feet under the ocean to the South Pole, and flown supersonic more times than I can count. He's right.... it's worth far more than a new one. In Japan, he told me, there are artisans who will place Wabi on a new watch to "beautify" it, using hammers, stones, files, and tumblers, to attempt to duplicate decades of honest use. So... be proud of your scratches. I plan to put a few of my own on the Ruger.

BTW, I kept my Rolex. It's wabi was well earned. Nothing new could replace it.

Willie

whughett
February 16, 2014, 09:35 PM
Well written Willie, so would seem wheather out West, Florida or New England you need to start putting some "Wabi-Sabi" on that "NIB" ROA.;)

J-Bar
February 17, 2014, 06:53 PM
Thank you Willie; I feel better about antiquing new guns. I won't live long enough to beat 'e'm up with use! I love the "used with love" look.

If you enjoyed reading about "Joined the Ruger Club" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!