Kahr M1 Carbines?

PDA

Ohen Cepel
April 1, 2004, 10:13 AM
I see that they are going to start making M1 carbines.

Has anyone seen them?
Price?
Impressions?

I want a carbine. However, have been leary of the parts guns and/or the current prices I have seen.

Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr M1 Carbines?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
April 1, 2004, 10:15 AM
If it says Kahr on it, it should be a good product.

John

Kodiak AK
April 1, 2004, 09:42 PM
Yes . Thank you Kahr. I have always wanted a M-1 Carbine , but finding a good one at a decent price is hard nowadays.

JShirley
April 1, 2004, 10:00 PM
http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_aom110.html

M2 Carbine
April 1, 2004, 11:09 PM
I haven't seen the Kahr Carbines yet but I have the Kahr M1 Thompson semi.

They do good work.

I would think the Carbine will be a nice rifle but the price might be high.

Chuck Jennings
April 1, 2004, 11:18 PM
With a stated MSRP of $610, itsounds like the street pricing will be reasonable. Especially if the quality would exceed the IMI or Universal carbines.

Devonai
April 1, 2004, 11:22 PM
I'd be a lot happier if they used some of the older receivers, but I'm wierd anyway.

BamBam-31
April 2, 2004, 02:19 AM
Holy Cannolis.

The only reason I don't have an M1 Carbine yet is I don't want to pay the premium they're currently commanding on the market. It seems like they're outstripping M1 Garands in terms of demand! For $600, you're generally not getting one in excellent condition.

Now, if Kahr/Auto-Ord makes a brand new one for $600....

Hide my wallet now.

KaceCoyote
April 2, 2004, 02:30 AM
Wonder if they'll sell them with the wire folding stocks?

DMK
April 2, 2004, 07:49 AM
Ooohhh! I can't wait for this one to hit the market. (rubbing hand together)

Maybe a few years down the road they'll make them in other calibers, like perhaps 10mm. Just think what a nice combo a 10mm M1 and a Delta Elite would make. :D

SapperLeader
April 2, 2004, 08:28 AM
On that spec sheet, it lists coming with 1 15rd stick mag. I wonder if thats a original mag, or just ones they had made before the awb. It looks like a nice product, and might be worth to get, and at least say you have a m1 in the collection, even if you cant get a original wwII one.

JShirley
April 2, 2004, 10:45 AM
just ones they had made before the awb

With millions of issued ones, why would they make their own? Especially this far after the AWB?

ACP230
April 2, 2004, 01:07 PM
That would be an M1 KAHRbine, que no?

rock jock
April 2, 2004, 01:57 PM
I haven't seen the Kahr Carbines yet but I have the Kahr M1 Thompson semi.
The two AO Thompsons I have seen couldn't run a complete magazine w/o major malfunctions. On top of that, they had a crappy trigger and weighed around 10-11 lbs. each. No thanks.

MrMurphy
April 2, 2004, 02:05 PM
Ummm......all Thompsons generally weigh 10-12 pounds, as it's a Thompson and that's how much they weigh.

M1 carbines are under 6 pounds. Of any type.

Auto Ordnance WAS having quality control problems, and Kahr bought them out. The problems seem to have been fixed.

Devonai
April 2, 2004, 02:44 PM
With millions of issued ones, why would they make their own? Especially this far after the AWB?

I'd be willing to bet that most of the parts on AO's carbines are surplus. Brand new, perhaps, but probably decades old. It sounds like for whatever reason they're manufacturing their own receivers, which makes sense as far as getting the AO name in the right place on the receiver.

With 15-round magazines running at about $6/ each, I imagine the "stick" mags included are surplus.

George Hill
April 2, 2004, 06:24 PM
This is interesting news.
I've been looking at M1 Carbines for some time and have not found one that was satisfactory comparing it to the asking price. Looked at one that had not 2 parts with the same finish going for 800... and another one that was rusted to hell so bad you couldn't make out the markings and that was over 2 grand.
:rolleyes:
You would think that for something that was worth 2 grand, you would have slapped it with an oily rag once in awhile.
Then there was the affordable onces... sticking actions... mismatched parts... ugly wood... poorly fitted wood... lots of home gunsmithing going on... can you say ruined? One even had hair in it.
Hair.
:confused:

Nightcrawler
April 2, 2004, 06:46 PM
I have a friend whom I think the M1 Carbine would perfect for. Ideally, I'd include the Carbine, with buttstock mag pouch, a WWII GI-type pistol belt, bayonet in scabbard and sheath, canteen, belt magazine pouches, and a WWII GI-type "Victory Model" holster for her revolver.

Ah, if I was rich....

Devonai
April 2, 2004, 08:57 PM
I can't believe those prices. I got mine for $320 and it has a beautiful bore, good, solid parts (mismatched) and ugly wood, a.k.a. a shooter.

Unfortunately the one of the bolt lugs sheared off during live fire earlier this year, but when you take into account the conditions that day (+10 degrees F with a wind chill) it's not all that surprising. For all I know it was the original, circa 1943 bolt.

So even with the $12 it cost me to send it to Fulton Armory and the $75 they'll charge me for a new bolt whenever they get around to working on it, I'd say I got a good deal.

At least I got a thousand or so rounds out of it before the bolt self-disassembled. :D

M2 Carbine
April 2, 2004, 09:53 PM
I've shot a receiver and a big zip lock bag of parts to destruction, including 3 or 4 bolts and a couple barrels.

I used to shoot a lot of M2 (select fire) and even though I am a big fan of the Carbine, it isn't that great a machine gun.
It works fine and is right easy to control but it eats parts.

The good part is the parts are still available and not too expensive but the price keeps going up.
The second good part is the parts are simple to replace.

One of my M1 extractors broke a couple weeks ago.
Just a few minute job to change it out.

If you intend shooting your Carbine a lot, you might pick up a few spare parts.
Extractor and spring, piston and nut and wrench, ejector and spring, or maybe a whole spare bolt.
(strange I've never broken a firing pin)
A few spare parts might keep your Carbine running at the range one day.

SanduneCC
April 2, 2004, 10:10 PM
That would be an M1 KAHRbine, que no?

Good one! :D :D :D

JimJD
April 2, 2004, 10:26 PM
One even had hair in it.
Hair.

Maybe the guy thought it would be a good idea to have an M1 Carbine with a "hair" trigger!
*rimshot sounds off in the distance*
:D

I'd like to see one of these Carbines by Kahr. Maybe they'll have one at the gun show in two weeks. Then I can go and look at the rusted version two tables down that costs as much as a used car.

Fly320s
April 2, 2004, 10:58 PM
I inspected a M1 carbine and AO Tommy Gun at this year's SHOT Show.

Surplus parts or not, the fit and finish on both guns were good.

I, too, have been looking for a good M1 carbine. I think I found the one I want.

vsse
May 14, 2004, 07:28 PM
So if the MSRP is $610, what will the street price be?

M2 Carbine
May 14, 2004, 10:03 PM
The MSRP on the M1 Thompson is $1041 and they are selling for a little over $800.

Maybe the Carbine will go for a little under $500.

The first ones out may be high until Kahr meets the demand.

It's a good looking rifle.

nakanakanunu
May 14, 2004, 10:47 PM
And isnt wolf inroducing .30 carbine ammo. Sounds good

SapperLeader
May 15, 2004, 09:17 AM
Ive always thought a m1 carbine would be fun, and still be a effective defensive tool. If wolf starts producing a cheap practice round, this kahr m1 and wolf ammo might not be a bad alternative to some of the other rifles out there. If wolf isnt planning on selling any 30 caliber ammo, Im back to waiting until I graduate school and have time to reload.

G21NE
May 15, 2004, 11:30 PM
Saperleader, that's what I've thought too. I also think that the M1 Carbine could have been a better version of the M16- think about it. Light, handy, in a better caliber of course. And a synthetic stock. And a gas piston/oprod arrangement, vs the AR "dirty" gas system.

Hey, how about one chambered in the new 6.whatever that has all the "Tactical" people all abuzz?

(Just realized, that would be too long of a cartridge for the .30 M1 carbine receiver?)

seeker_two
May 15, 2004, 11:43 PM
I've always wondered why the US military & LEO's turned their noses up at the .30 Carbine round & the M1 Carbine while clammoring over each other to get Uzi's, MP-5's, & other 9mm subguns...:scrutiny:

I'm eagerly awaiting the KAHR-bines, myself...:D

(..and, I think Cor-Bon is making a Pow'R'Ball loading for .30Carbine. If not, the Wolf could work...w/ a little help from a hacksaw (X)...;) )

azrael
May 16, 2004, 12:48 AM
question 1...How good are the IMI carbines in comparison to the Kahr??

Question 2...how much does a transferable M2 go for these days??

The CHIMERA is coming...

41mag
May 16, 2004, 12:23 PM
Seems like about 20 years ago someone was converting M1's in to .45win mag.I wonder if Kahr is interested in making some of those.Or if they will be convertable to .45wm?
I think that I'll have to add one to the list if they turn out o.k.

Mulliga
May 16, 2004, 01:50 PM
I've always wondered why the US military & LEO's turned their noses up at the .30 Carbine round & the M1 Carbine while clammoring over each other to get Uzi's, MP-5's, & other 9mm subguns...

I've always wondered why some gunnies turn their noses up at .223/5.56 & the AR-15 while clamoring over each other to get M1 Carbines...;)

JShirley
May 16, 2004, 04:14 PM
I have no problem with the 5.56 (except for hunting deer); it's the AR-15 I don't like. :neener:

orangeninja
May 16, 2004, 04:27 PM
I plan on getting 2.

M2 Carbine
May 16, 2004, 07:22 PM
"azrael

Question 2...how much does a transferable M2 go for these days??"

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. :D

Just kidding.

I have one and can't tell you what it's worth.:)

The best M2 deal is to have the "parts kit" registered (which of course you can't do anymore)

If a registered receiver fails beyound repair the gun is gone.
The registered parts kit is forever.:)

BTW if you had all the M2 parts, you have an unregistered machine gun.

So like, if you bought an M1 that has many M2 parts, which many do, and you happened to get some spare parts that happened to have the M2 part your rifle is missing, you could be in a heap of trouble.:D

Usually the part you will never have is the selector and spring.
All the M2 parts work in the M1 and can be found in many M1's, except the Selector and spring. (you usually don't find trip levers either or disconnectors but I have)
The Selector has no use but to make the M2 select fire so you won't find it in an M1.

Matt G
May 16, 2004, 08:32 PM
I've always wondered why the US military & LEO's turned their noses up at the .30 Carbine round & the M1 Carbine while clammoring over each other to get Uzi's, MP-5's, & other 9mm subguns... I got mine last year for a song, and have been practicing with it, finding it to be quick, reliable (it had been an Israeli military and police issue arm that the US had given or sold to Isreal decades ago, so it has a beaten-up stock, but a decent bore and action), and very easy to make hits at short distances with.I've always wondered why some gunnies turn their noses up at .223/5.56 & the AR-15 while clamoring over each other to get M1 Carbines...Frankly, the M1 Carbine's a little easier to shoot well under 100 yards, IMHO. Its round is a little underpowered, to be sure, but it's certainly more powerful than a pistol round. I bought my M1 carbine for under half the price of the cheapest reliable 5.56mm carbine that I've found. Nothing against ARs-- I like 'em fine-- it's just I'm using what I have, and have found that I really like it. The feel is very different, and feel is very personalized. I can easily see how a person might much prefer an M1 to an AR based on personal taste alone, just as a man may prefer blondes to brunettes.There are a few of us that don't turn up our nose at the handly little M1 (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80342)http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=980816

KarbineKrazy
November 2, 2004, 02:40 PM
I got a mini 14, I'd like a Garand, a carbine and an M1A all someday as well. If wolf starts making .30 carbine, you better believe I'm getting a Kahr soon!

Gifted
November 2, 2004, 10:31 PM
Is there a .30 carbine conversion kit for AR-15s?

Kodiak AK
November 5, 2004, 09:47 PM
I do believe Oly Arms makes a .30 conversion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr M1 Carbines?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!