One more crimp question

PDA

MightyMO1911
February 16, 2014, 03:57 PM
I think K I have decided not to crimp my 30-06 rounds. I shoot them from a bolt gun and my accuracy is great. I have plenty of neck tension and I'm not worried about it.

But. What about a lever gun in 30-30? Logic is telling me that crimping is a good idea here to help prevent set back. Or is it unnecessary?

If you enjoyed reading about "One more crimp question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
G11354
February 16, 2014, 04:01 PM
Crimping wouldnt be a terrible idea with a lever gun seeing as the rounds stack in the magazine tube.

rcmodel
February 16, 2014, 04:22 PM
Crimping is ALWAYS Necessary in lever-guns, or other types with tube magazines.

Not necessary in bolt-actions or box magazines.

Unless it's one of the very brutal kicking elephant gun calibers where recoil can hammer the rounds in the box magazine shorter.

For semi-auto's you can crimp or not.
I chose not as the brass lasts longer before neck cracks develop.

rc

45lcshooter
February 16, 2014, 04:30 PM
Lever guns get crimped- bullet sitting against primer...hmmmm i would not want the bullet to make its way loose.

Normal rounds that i do not crimp 308 30-06 get crimped and the case marked when the neck tension is to bad, after they are shot, they are in scrap bucket.

heycods
February 16, 2014, 04:43 PM
What lever gun in 06 has a tubular mag?

rcmodel
February 16, 2014, 04:53 PM
None.
The OP ask about crimping for his 30-30.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "One more crimp question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!