Shoot 9mm in my Kahr K40?

PDA

Jim PHL
April 1, 2004, 12:23 PM
I would obviously need a 9mm barrel and magazines but does anyone know if the barrel would fit the internals on the K40? How about 9mm mags fitting into the grip frame?

I know the K9 won't handle the pressures of a .40 S+W but how about the other way around? The K40 slide material is a fraction thicker (heavier) than the K9 so I'm not sure whether 9mm would fully cycle it. Maybe barrel, mags AND recoil spring? Has anyone actually done it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shoot 9mm in my Kahr K40?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
April 1, 2004, 05:49 PM
Sorry, won't work.
The .40 has a different cartridge case head size, and the slide's larger breech face won't work with 9mm.

The only guns where this would work, was with the old .41 Action Express cartridge, which had a "rebated" (9mm sized) case head.

QuakKillz
April 1, 2004, 05:54 PM
just send me the k40 and buy you a new k9 :)

Jim Watson
April 1, 2004, 07:43 PM
I know you can buy 9mm conversion barrels for .40 Glocks and Sig-Sauers. They are not just stock barrels for the corresponding 9mm models, but are made to fit the wider .40 breechface. They depend on the extractor having enough movement and tension to pick up the smaller rim and are not recommended for anything but practice with cheaper ammo.

I have never heard of one for a Kahr, though. Contact Barsto, I think they make some of the conversion barrels and might run one off for a Kahr, if they have the setup. It won't be cheap, take a long time to break even on ammo prices.

wally
April 1, 2004, 10:03 PM
A guy at the range was bitching about his new .40 S&W and crappy Blazer ammo not feeding well, splitting cases, and having piss poor accuracy, then he realized it was Blazer 9mm he was shooting.

All "conversions" seem pretty marginal to me. For the price of a 22 LR converiosn for a 1911 I can have a brand new Browning Buckmark. You'd be near the maxi ammo savings per round here but I'd rather have another gun than parts to swap out.

--wally.

Jim PHL
April 2, 2004, 06:57 PM
Still working on what I consider my complete collection. The kahr doesn't fit into my future plans but I will, sometime in the future, get a 9mm. I have a soft spot for the Kahr. I've just always really liked it since I bought it new so I thought about converting it to keep it. When I get around to buying a 9mm it won't be a Kahr, but if this would have worked I would have kept it and not gotten another 9mm.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shoot 9mm in my Kahr K40?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!