Waiting Time for 5320.20

PDA

*Kemosabe*
February 17, 2014, 02:06 PM
What is the waiting time for the BATFE to approve a 5320.20 request?

Thanks for a heads up..... Sabe

If you enjoyed reading about "Waiting Time for 5320.20" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
medalguy
February 19, 2014, 02:44 AM
I submitted a Form 20 12/8/2013 and received it back approved on 2/14/2014. A little over 60 days right now.

*Kemosabe*
February 19, 2014, 03:00 PM
medalguy - Thank you for the courtesy of your response.

This will be my first contact with the BATFE since my original application 22 years ago to receive my machinegun.

At that time I attached my “Honorably Retired Police Officer” identification to my paperwork. Approximately 60 days later I had the gun.

Now what should be a “rubber stamp” formality is going to take as long or longer? Is there disdain at the BATFE for the full auto crowd, or should I say even more disdain for us versus the rest of their “clientele”?

medalguy
February 23, 2014, 12:40 AM
Yeah, I've owned MGs since 1964. Every time I buy one, the entire process has to be repeated. I agree, once you're on board it should just be "Oh, he's buying another one," and approval. But that's not the way the gov works. A lot of guys have suggested that might be a way to reduce the number of NFA transfers, and I have to agree, that thought does have some merit.

If you're buying another, be aware the wait for a Form 4 is a year or more. If you can use the eforms, for a trust, that time is down to a couple of months or less. Just FYI.

*Kemosabe*
February 23, 2014, 01:11 PM
medalguy - Again, thanks for the comeback and the info about trusts.

I’ve been away from the buying-a-machinegun process since 1992 and I’m amazed at the length of the delay. The current cost of a machinegun and the bureaucracy involved makes it highly unlikely that I’ll be doing it again.

taliv
February 23, 2014, 09:35 PM
I've been getting permission to export forms back in 3 weeks or less even recently. It used to be less than that

*Kemosabe*
February 23, 2014, 10:53 PM
I've been on the road a lot and the reason I asked about the approval time was to coordinate the time they notify you as to when I'll be back to pick up the gun.

When they approve the move how do they notify you?

medalguy
February 24, 2014, 12:50 AM
The Form 20 is mailed back to you in a plain white envelope. :D

When you submit the form, ask for travel dates far enough in advance that you know that
(1) the form will be back-- say, 90-120 days, and
(2) you will schedule to be in town to make the trip with the gun.

*Kemosabe*
March 3, 2014, 04:36 PM
Okay, I downloaded the forms and filled them out thanks to you guys. I haven't mailed it in yet because I have this question.

As I mentioned, I'm going to be on the road and staying in several cities. If the BATFE sends me an approval letter to my home address and there is a forwarding order for my mail when it gets there, will the BATFE approval lettter be returned to them because of a "No Forwarding" policy?

If you enjoyed reading about "Waiting Time for 5320.20" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!