Alpha glass with perfect colour and contrast, worth the price!

PDA

JJHACK
February 18, 2014, 12:42 AM
My girlfriend and I were looking for nesting gold eagles today. In the distance about 800 yards away I saw something in the trees. I played with the focus adjustment and sure enough the picture became crystal clear.

I studied it for a bit longer and realized what it was. So we climbed down the canyon and snuck into the section of trees. Got to about 30 yards and Callie snapped these photos. A nesting pair of horned owls. Being able to distinguish this was a real statement to the value of good optics.

It's moments like this spotting such an amazing camouflaged animal that you realize the value of alpha glass!

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/image25.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Alpha glass with perfect colour and contrast, worth the price!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LKLive13
February 18, 2014, 12:45 AM
That's a pretty sweet pic!

buck460XVR
February 18, 2014, 12:00 PM
Had some active pairs that were quite vocal right after Christmas that we could hear from the house. Would take the dog for a walk after dark down to the woods just to hear them talk sweet nothings to each other. Didn't take much to get the males ticked off by duplicating their calls. Good way to get ready for Turkey season. They've been a lot quieter lately, thinkin' maybe they might be sittin' on eggs.

Nice pic by the way.

JJHACK
February 18, 2014, 12:29 PM
I have a box blind made by redneck blinds. It's all fiberglass. I sat in there til dark last week on Friday. Mostly just watching game. About dark I felt a thud on the roof. Then the sound of talons scratching for a grip.

My girlfriend and I did not move, just sat still. It had to be a big owl because no other raptor would be hunting in this fading light. Once in a while we would hear the talons scratch the roof while the owl shifted it's weight or tried to grip better.

She whispered to me that I should play the great horned owl hooting that I have on my iPhone. I set the volume low and hit play. Nothing? Turned the volume up a bit more and tried again........ The big horned owl let out a series of hoots, paused and did it again. So I played the recording again.. Then the owl starting with a series of screeches and hoots with claws scratching the roof, and more screeching and even some odd screaming sounds! He was so PO'd about this recording, he was just pitching a royal fit!

I did this back and forth with him for over a minute. Each time he went ballistic with aggressive calls or screams. He eventually figured out the recording was coming from inside the blind. He then flew around the blind trying to see inside. I had to close the window for fear the angry beast would fly in and land on one of us with those big sharp talons.

In case folks don't know, horned owls are the strongest of winged predators. They have the same grip strength as a much bigger golden eagle.

He eventually flew across to tree to study the box blind. He was working out a plan to get the other owl inside there!

Fremmer
February 18, 2014, 12:32 PM
We have a nesting pair around. The female hoots a lot at the male. I told my wife that I understand how the male owl feels. The wife replied with a couple of whoots. :)

Nice glass makes a difference, that's for sure.

JJHACK
February 18, 2014, 01:00 PM
Initially this was the direction we saw them. There are two in this picture. As you can see, it could be something you look right past. I always wonder how many things I miss when glassing!

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/image26.jpg

j1
February 18, 2014, 01:33 PM
Good glass is worth the money.

buck460XVR
February 18, 2014, 02:16 PM
Initially this was the direction we saw them. There are two in this picture. As you can see, it could be something you look right past. I always wonder how many things I miss when glassing!

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/image26.jpg

Owls are colored cryptically so they blend in with their surroundings when resting during daylight. When hunting at night, their camouflage is not really necessary.

If you enjoyed reading about "Alpha glass with perfect colour and contrast, worth the price!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!