Remington Model 12

PDA

Mark Doty
February 18, 2014, 02:55 PM
I recently purchased my first model 12 serial number 186574. I have discovered a problem with it and am not sure what to do. the gun fires properly and shoots very acurately but the spent casing is hard to get out of the chamber after fired. I actualy have to use a cleaning rod to push the casing out. Yes I have cleaned the gun several times but it does not seem to help. If anyone can help i would apreciate it.thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Model 12" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Larry Ashcraft
February 18, 2014, 03:02 PM
Are you shooting 3" loads in it? If so, check the barrel markings. It's probably chambered for 2 3/4" shells.

Mark Doty
February 18, 2014, 03:06 PM
sorry larry I should have beenmore specific. Its a Remington 22 cal model 12. Early 1920's i think

BBBBill
February 18, 2014, 04:50 PM
Which variant do you have? Some of those were chambered for 22 shorts only (Model 12B) and others for 22 Remington Special (Model 12C if I remember correctly), which is the same as 22 WRF.

Mark Doty
February 18, 2014, 04:58 PM
its chambered for short, long and long rifle. I have tried different brands of short and long rifle amunition with similar results.

ldsgeek
February 18, 2014, 06:08 PM
Check to see if the chamber has been peened by the firing pin. Most old .22s were not designed for dry firing, but it did happen anyway.

Kp321
February 18, 2014, 07:12 PM
The chamber could have a ring in it from extended use of shorts. That and the firing pin peening on the chamber mouth are to most common reasons for failure to extract on 22's.
Give the chamber a thorough cleaning and light polish with Fitz and see what happens.

N.Schafer
February 18, 2014, 07:20 PM
Sometimes the chambers peened by the firing pin. With the model 12 and how its bolt works, i have seen some pretty rough, worn-out breech faces.

You can try ironing the chamber to get the burr out and polish it some. If that doesn't work then you can have it relined. The Remington 12 is probably the most common firearm I reline.

Jim K
February 18, 2014, 10:21 PM
There are two possibilities, neither good. One is that firing shorts in that chamber has caused corrosion that has left the chamber larger at the front, so the LR case bulges at the front, locking itself in. The second is that the same condition has been caused by firing high velocity .22 LR ammo in that old gun, causing the chamber to bulge, not an uncommon problem. Regardless of the exact cause, there really is no good solution. In most cases, replacing the barrel is not cost effective as many of the older guns are not of high value. Sometimes, drilling or reaming the chamber can be effective, but if more than a smidgen of metal is removed the cases may bulge and split, making things worse.

In most cases, the only answer is to give the old timer an honorable retirement to the wall. It has earned it.

Jim

Mark Doty
February 19, 2014, 10:37 AM
Thanks fellas for all your input. I will follow up on this and let you know how i make out. I understand over 800,000 of these were produced between 1906 and 1936. My serial number is 187554 and it does not have any lettering to help identify the year.
Any guesses from you on the year?

dagger dog
February 19, 2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks fellas for all your input. I will follow up on this and let you know how i make out. I understand over 800,000 of these were produced between 1906 and 1936. My serial number is 187554 and it does not have any lettering to help identify the year.
Any guesses from you on the year?

Mark go to the Remington Collectors web sight and follow the dating process of your 12. Mine was built in 1929.

A local smith said he could install a liner for about 125.00 if you can get the old gun shooting it's a real hoot.

I bought mine as a basket case and put about 40 bucks in it, then found out the barrel was ringed about 4" from the muzzle, asked the smith about a liner, he said to shoot it first and see what it would do, well I did and it's as accurate as my eyes on the sights can hold.

It doesn't have a lick of blue and is all brown patina, be she'll shoot !

Brownells has an iron for 22 rim fires if peening is the problem, if not you may think about a liner.

I only shoot CB's shorts, or standard velocity LR ammo in mine, no Stingers or hyper ammo.

Show us some pics when you get her up and running.

rcmodel
February 19, 2014, 11:37 PM
Color a couple of rounds totally with a black magic-marker and shoot them.

Where the shiny brass is showing and not black ink on the empty cases will ID the exact location of the chamber problem.

It's going to be near the rim from firing pin peening, or about 2/3 of the way up the case from .22 Short corrosion.

rc

Jim Watson
February 20, 2014, 12:39 AM
Does it work well otherwise?
Can you cycle shells through the action without firing?

A friend went to the trouble of having his relined and found that the action was so worn that he pretty much had a single shot.

Mark Doty
February 20, 2014, 09:59 AM
thanks RC I will give it a try

Mark Doty
February 20, 2014, 10:01 AM
yes Jim it works very well. the shells cycle very smooth and I have no trouble grouping on target at 25 yards. it just takes a while cause i have to use a clesaning rod to push out the spent casings each time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Model 12" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!