Now THATS a knife

PDA

MuffinMaster
February 20, 2014, 01:10 AM
A set of old Randells #1

If you enjoyed reading about "Now THATS a knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
herrwalther
February 20, 2014, 02:38 AM
Couldn't resist.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/Ehtereon/Untitled_zps9e2a8ea6.png

Great looking set of knives though.

hso
February 20, 2014, 11:32 AM
set of old Randells #1

Drool

Shanghai McCoy
February 20, 2014, 11:36 AM
Man, nice pair of classic Randalls. Looks like some honest wear on them too.
"drool"x2

22-rimfire
February 20, 2014, 12:08 PM
Those and some of the other Randall's are where my interest in fixed blades started.

MuffinMaster
February 20, 2014, 02:57 PM
They were originally bought as a pair and taken to Asia. I believe they did see action. When I first saw these I thought they were made of aluminum because of how light they were. They are steel. There is nothing like the feel of a Randell. Maybe others can attest to this as well.

MuffinMaster
February 20, 2014, 03:27 PM
This is a handmade jungle machete fashioned by local tribesman. It was made from a leaf spring of a jeep from the same period and source. It was a package deal with the Randells. This saw action as well.

hso
February 20, 2014, 04:13 PM
Nice looking enep.

MuffinMaster
February 20, 2014, 04:53 PM
The owner at the time was in his late 70's. The machete was on his night bed stand and was his main home defense weapon. I thought at the time it was strange since he owned and knew how to use a pistol. So I asked him why he preferred the machete over a pistol. The answer floored me "I just do not want to disturb my neighbors". I paused for sometime waiting for the serious look to melt into a smile. He was serious!

Some people are BS and others are the real thing.

hso
February 20, 2014, 04:54 PM
That's a perfectly reasonable answer coming from someone that is very comfortable using an enep.

Deltaboy
February 24, 2014, 04:49 PM
Great set of knives.

ApacheCoTodd
February 27, 2014, 05:51 PM
I absolutely LOVE the wear!

Nice pair ya got there!

MuffinMaster
March 8, 2014, 11:22 PM
What does Blue Sapphire rings, Randall #1 and CIA all have to do with each other? I saw a post trying to link these 3 things together. Is there an old story in that?

http://www.tactical-life.com/tactical-knives/secret-agent-sog/

ApacheCoTodd
March 9, 2014, 11:01 AM
What does Blue Sapphire rings, Randells #1 and CIA all have to do with each other? I saw a post trying to link these 3 things together. Is there an old story in that?

http://www.tactical-life.com/tactical-knives/secret-agent-sog/
I dunno about blue sapphire rings or the CIA but the classics you wanted to line up back in the day when I graduated from The SF Qualification Course were; a rolex, star sapphire ring and most any - but particularly - a Randall fighter or "attack" 18.

I opted out for years and went with the PX Seiko Dive watch, SOG fighter (the old SOGs) and a puzzle ring from Jordan.

Later, the original triad was picked up and I still have 'em.

Dave P
March 9, 2014, 11:16 AM
Correct name is spelled Randall. :banghead:

MuffinMaster
March 9, 2014, 12:01 PM
I have the Star Sapphire and the Rolex but I do not understand the significance to this knife. Is this a SF thing?

Fred Fuller
March 9, 2014, 02:56 PM
Is this a SF thing?

Used to be, anyway :D. At least they got 'divorce papers' in the list at the link.

And it was star sapphire ring... at least when I heard it.

MuffinMaster
March 9, 2014, 03:14 PM
The Rolex. It was personalized in a way and I have covered that up. The Rolex is real down to the original receipt it was bought with and the offer letter from Rolex to buy it back when it was personalized. The ring has too much personalization on it and just too hard to show without it. I never realized they might all be related in some way.

Outlaw Man
March 10, 2014, 09:48 AM
Very cool!

MuffinMaster
March 12, 2014, 06:28 PM
I never got this knife though.

MuffinMaster
March 12, 2014, 08:04 PM
Same island and time as the last photo, I believe. Notice the hat.

carheir
March 12, 2014, 08:26 PM
The crystal on that Rolex looks mighty scratched up. I thought Rolex had super scratch resistant crystals.

MuffinMaster
March 12, 2014, 08:38 PM
I do not know. Do they claim it will out last 60+ yrs of hard use? It still holds time though.

MuffinMaster
March 13, 2014, 05:11 PM
These knives were purchased some time in the late 40's. I can not find any markings on the sheaths although I have been told I should. He told me that he called someone in Fla. and explained that he was going on a Buffalo hunting in Asia soon and needed a good set of knives to do a final kill if he wounded one by mistake. He received them in a few weeks there after. Kind a bazaar story but he was smiling while saying it. In any case it is not too smart to tell someone they are full of it at that age with Alzheimer who happen to be holding two of these knives ... :-)

I had fun showing it and will try to post his picture when I can figure it out. He has long since passed away. An unusual time capture in a knife and a few other things.

Deltaboy
March 13, 2014, 08:44 PM
Great. Story.

hso
March 22, 2014, 09:29 AM
As Fred pointed out, the classic 60's/70's Special Forces "accessory set" were a Randall 1 or 14 and a Rolex and a star sapphire ring (acquired in SE Asia).

Post some steady pictures of the front and back of the sheaths for us.

If, as I'm assuming, the knives went to SE Asia during the Vietnam war the sheaths with the knives may be replacements since a lot of leather sheaths rotted away. Dipping them in paraffin was a common practice in an attempt to thwart the conditions.

MuffinMaster
March 22, 2014, 06:43 PM
No, these are NOT US Vietnam war time period knives. They were purchaced in Fla. These were used in the 40-50's time period. They traveled into Thialand, Burma, Phillippines and China. They never saw Loas, Cambodia or Vietnam as far as I know. In fact I remember a point was made of it that he did not go into Loas. I believe he was discharge around the end of the 50's and /or beginning of the 60's. I will post a few more pictures of the back of the sheaths. I can not find any markings though.

MuffinMaster
March 22, 2014, 07:43 PM
More Photos

MuffinMaster
March 22, 2014, 07:45 PM
and a few more.

hso
March 22, 2014, 10:20 PM
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/printpost.php?tid/342579/

The posts by Sheldon Wickersham date the sheaths to between 1944 and 1949 due to the rivets.

MuffinMaster
March 22, 2014, 10:23 PM
The blue star is as best as I can tell a pinky ring set in 22k hand carved gold. The ring has a lot of microscopic chips consistent with constant unprotected use. Its value was greatly affected as the result. The ring looks to be Indian in origin. It was acquired I believe in the Burma mountains from a traveling ruby trader if that makes any sense. It does not have a military look at all. I never understood the link to knives until a possible one was explained here.

I though the watch was the result of the fact he was a diver of sorts during all of this. He seemed to have a lot of interest in underwater operations. He was discharged from the army though.

hso
March 22, 2014, 10:26 PM
http://www.specialforcestraining.info/combatdive.htm

MuffinMaster
March 22, 2014, 10:56 PM
Is it possible to date just the knives?

StrawHat
March 22, 2014, 11:38 PM
Of all the knives I have sharpened during my career, Randalls have always given me a thrill. I do not often see them and when I do I refer the owners to the factory but many are not happy with the current owner. In that case, I am happy to accomondate the owner and sharpen their knife or knives. I get to handle 4 or 5 a year, but the number is steadily increasing.

Perhaps my second favorite knife is the Bear Bowie by Randall.

hso
March 23, 2014, 08:24 AM
Within a bracket of a few years, yes.

You can buy Sheldon's timeline and check spacer and guard/butt/blade shape characteristics against it.

The knives are valuable enough to even pay Randall Knives to do it. If they are 1940s they're worth more than $1,000 each (and possibly twice that).

If you enjoyed reading about "Now THATS a knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!