More CVA Optima V2 pistol questions please.

PDA

Tallbald
February 20, 2014, 02:34 PM
Deleted by poster.

If you enjoyed reading about "More CVA Optima V2 pistol questions please." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CraigC
February 20, 2014, 02:53 PM
The twist rate should be fine for any conical. It's round balls that will probably pose a problem.

frontiergander
February 20, 2014, 03:51 PM
It is a 1:28 twist. Try the 250gr powerbelt aerolite and 80-100gr blackhorn209. Get the bh209 plug as well.

Tallbald
February 21, 2014, 03:35 AM
Thank you both. Please keep in mind that to date my only experience with BP has been with round ball in my Ruger Old Army's.
When you refer to "conicals" for the Optima are you referring to hollow base conicals always? I know that some "conicals" I've seen for revolvers are solid base is why I am asking.
When is an over-powder wad needed in a single shot pistol?
When choosing a starting load for accuracy with a conical (I really can't afford a steady diet of sabot loads...retirement and fixed income ya know) is there a rule of thumb when I know the weight and diameter on the slug? Maybe loading tables? I am also concerned about a kaboom if I put a max charge behind too heavy a slug, but I'm unsure where to start.
Do certain 209 primers work best for some reason with inlines?
CVA sells a breechplug for Blackhorn 209 BP substitute, but I guess using Triple will not require a different plug. Am I missing something important?

Lots of questions.Enjoying learning. All advise gratefully received. Don

If you enjoyed reading about "More CVA Optima V2 pistol questions please." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!