870 scope

PDA

acman
February 20, 2014, 03:13 PM
What is a good scope to mount on a Remington cantilever slug barrel. Was looking at the Cabelas Slugger or the Bushnell Trophy DOA scope. Will be on a Remington 870 12 gauge. Most shots are any were between 50-250 yards here in Iowa.

If you enjoyed reading about "870 scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
matrem
February 20, 2014, 06:31 PM
I've used, both a forty year old Weaver 3-9 x 32, and currently have a twenty year Leupold Vari X II 3-9 x 40 on my cantilevered 870 Special Purpose.

Neither scope has cost me a deer.
But the Leupold is far more clear than my old Weaver.

I buy quite a bit of stuff from Cabelas, but haven't bought one of "their" scopes.
Bushnell, well... nevermind..

oldandslow
February 20, 2014, 10:32 PM
acm,

I have a Rem. 870 and have a Leupold VX-3 2X8 power scope for pig hunting. It works great and I have the same scopes on my hunting rifles. I have used a smooth-bore barrel with saboted slugs and full-bore 770 grain slugs through a 26 inch rifled barrel.

One thing to remember is that with slugs you're going be limited to a practical accuracy distance of about 100 yards. That means if you're looking for a gun that will hit a deer at 250 yards then it probably isn't a slug-gun. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

acman
February 21, 2014, 03:12 PM
That is not always true this past season I shot a deer in the lung from around 198 yards away, with iron sights on my cousins 870. I was shooting Hornady SST slugs.

If you enjoyed reading about "870 scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!