Did you take a gun to school for a project?

PDA

bender01
February 21, 2014, 01:12 AM
The recent posts of how times of changed are interesting! Im 42 and from a rural farming area! I had 3 people in my 8th grade class! I remember doing a project on hunter safety and I brought my dads shotgun to school as a display piece! The science teacher knew I was bringing it and checked it and stored it in his chemical cabinet! We had it out on the table that night when parents came to see all our projects. Probably 6th grade! After school many times we would snowmobile or walk to school property and shoot pigeons and crows! That's only 30 years ago!

If you enjoyed reading about "Did you take a gun to school for a project?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
February 21, 2014, 01:17 AM
Yes...We could keep a gun in our car for hunting before/after school.....Times sure have changed. Back then school was closed the first day of deer season.

climbnjump
February 21, 2014, 01:22 AM
Yep. I was on a trap shooting team in high school. We brought our shotguns into the classroom for "show and tell" at the start of the season. It was a different time...

Sol
February 21, 2014, 01:23 AM
I'm later generation and the fact I'm not typing this from a prison says; no I never brought a gun to school.

mgmorden
February 21, 2014, 01:23 AM
No. I'm 32. Columbine happened in my senior year of high school so the school shootings thing wasn't really an issue until I was out, but while it wasn't an issue, we still wouldn't have thought about having a gun on school property.

And this was in a VERY rural area. We still hunted after school - we just went home and got the gun first.

medalguy
February 21, 2014, 02:14 AM
I lived in a pretty metropolitan area in the south. And yes I took a rifle to school (1863 musket) for a Civil War discussion. Brought it on the school bus, left it in the principal's office after we had a good discussion about the rifle, and took it home again on the school bus. And yeah it was a long time ago. What a shame kids can't even take a bite out of a cracker today so it looks like a gun.

goon
February 21, 2014, 02:16 AM
No, but in middle school, I didn't have to.
There were about a dozen target .22's in the basement and I shot them every week during rifle club. I got to shoot instead of going to a study hall... nothing but win.

Elvis1
February 21, 2014, 02:19 AM
25 years ago we used to bring intertech waterguns to school to have wars during recess. The rule was they stayed in our bags in the building, only could come out on recess outside. This was at grade school in a chicago suburb. I carried a folding pocket clip knife through highschool, a friend carried a small (and very expensive) fixed blade in a custom sheath on his belt. This was at a north suburban HS. Never was a problem. I can't imagine what would happen today at the very same school if a kid would even have a tiny case knife.

gamestalker
February 21, 2014, 02:35 AM
When I was a kid I would often keep a shotgun or rifle in the truck gun rack at school. My buddies and I would go out varmint hunting after school, no one ever asked questions or worried back in those days.

And when my kids were growing up there were times when they would have me bring their shotgun or rifle to school for show and tell. Teachers were always informed by my kids that they were growing up in a hunting, shooting, general outdoor recreational environment, so I was often taking guns and dead animals to the school at their request. I remember one year I brought a black bear to the school before I even had a chance to get it home. All the kids and teachers came out to the bus loading zone to see it in the back of my truck. They just loved that kind of entertainment, and always welcomed the moment. I would often be asked to show and tell about the gun used to harvest the animals. Sure do miss those wonderful times in our society. What a shame things have become what they are.

GS

gc70
February 21, 2014, 02:37 AM
I never carried a gun to school for a project, but rifles and shotguns in rear-window racks were the norm for pickups in the student parking lot.

230RN
February 21, 2014, 02:40 AM
Nah. New York City. Only the cops and the mobsters were allowed to have guns.

Bexar
February 21, 2014, 02:43 AM
Like others many of us from the late 60's early 70's had hunting guns in our vehicles. Many of us with scoped rifles or those that just wanted to left them either in the office or the principal's office so the Texas heat wouldn't get to the scopes in an enclosed vehicle. During "Rodeo Day" the students and faculty dressed up in Western wear...not much of a step for most of us. :) Anyway...one of my classmates came with a holster and a Colt Peacemaker style revolver on his hip. Our chemistry teacher saw it and commented on it then asked if it was loaded...it was. The chemistry teacher's response was, "OK...be careful with it." My classmate wore that rig the entire day without anyone saying anything more to him. Understand this was in a school that was far enough out in a San Antonio suburb that he could have probably walked a couple of hundred yards off of the football field and busted some cans and nobody in the band practice would have missed a beat. Most of our instructors were WW2 vets and many families owned ranches that weren't measured in acres but in sections. An entirely different time in America. We had a liquor store chain that was pretty good sized that sold liquor on one side of the store and guns on the other. I believe the name of the chain was Texas Liquors. They were in the malls and even Walgreens (I believe it was) at the other end of the mall sold pistols and long guns.

JRH6856
February 21, 2014, 02:50 AM
I took a hand grenade to school for a history project. Primer was spent and there was no powder, but it was not legally deactivated because the pineapple body was intact. From all outward appearance it looked real. I had set it up un advance to demonstrate what happened when the pin was pulled by cocking the "hammer" and placng a Greenie Stick'em cap (for cap pistols) on the primer cap, replacing the spoon and inserting the pin.

Pull the pin, spoon flies, cap pops...teacher gets up from behind his desk. Everyone laughs and class goes on.

Bexar
February 21, 2014, 02:59 AM
I took a hand grenade to school for a history project. Primer was spent and there was no powder, but it was not legally deactivated because the pineapple body was intact. From all outward appearance it looked real. I had set it up un advance to demonstrate what happened when the pin was pulled by cocking the "hammer" and placng a Greenie Stick'em cap (for cap pistols) on the primer cap, replacing the spoon and inserting the pin.

Pull the pin, spoon flies, cap pops...teacher gets up from behind his desk. Everyone laughs and class goes on.
That's funny! Probably a combat vet. :)

JRH6856
February 21, 2014, 03:14 AM
That's funny! Probably a combat vet.

Korea I think. It was in 1959.

Bexar
February 21, 2014, 03:45 AM
Wooof!!! I'm 60 next month and I was born in 54'. 1959...Wooof!!! again. :)

caribou
February 21, 2014, 04:45 AM
Yes. Wasnt a problem and lotsa kids had trucks with a couple inthe racks inthe parking lots, in NW Montana.

Took Hunters and firearms safety, biathlon and hunted ducks and Deer with a couple teachers who were friends with my dad.

In woodshop we could make stocks for boltless barreled actions, although I chose to take the knife makeing class.

Scooter22
February 21, 2014, 08:44 AM
Yes. Twice. And are you ready for this? This was the early/mid 70s in a large city school district in central New York!. The gun was a 7x57 M93 Spanish Mauser. Someone had already sporterised it and did a hack job. 1st time was junior high to clean it up using shop tools, bend the bolt handle and jewel the bolt body. A year or 2 later in HS I brought it in to heat up the rear sight sleave to remove it and install a Williams rear sight. Both times I ask the shop teacher and he said to clear it with the principal. No problem. Now in context many guys wore a Buck folder on their belt to school and had guns in the rack during hunting season in their vehicles. This was in the city. Their was virtually no gun crime. Fast forward to now. We have the NY SAFE ACT and theres is a shooting or stabbing in the same city almost daily with about 20 homicides a year.

Rembrandt
February 21, 2014, 10:27 AM
Took a .22 rifle on the school bus for a class shop project, re-blued and refinished the stock. Got a good grade for the effort.

School bus driver carried a shotgun behind the drivers seat, when ever a pheasant presented itself on the country back roads, he'd stop and take a shot.

Carl N. Brown
February 21, 2014, 10:42 AM
High school, 1960s, guy did a stock for an old shotgun in woodworking shop class.

However, it was the era of Sen Tom Dodd (Dem, Conn) and the moral panick lynch mob going after mail order guns as the root of all evil, and the demonization of guns and NRA was starting. I had begun a history project on US Military guns from the Revolution to the VietNam conflict. By the time I was supposed to turn it in, I was afraid that the subject would get me in trouble. I turned in no project and retook History in summer school instead.

aarondhgraham
February 21, 2014, 10:48 AM
Yes, but it was in the dark ages,,,
My senior year so it was either 1967 or 1968.

Moore High School,,,
Moore, Oklahoma.

In American History class we were studying Little Big Horn,,,
I owned a Springfield trap-door 45-70 rifle,,,
I brought it to class as my project.

The school bus driver didn't say a word,,,
He just grunted and said to sit up front by him.

I was in the hall headed to class and the vice-principal asked me if it was loaded,,,
I told him "No sir, the shells are in my pocket.

He attended the presentation and afterwards the class all went to the football field where the Rifle Team practiced,,,
The vice-principal and my history teacher both fired the rifle,,,
The principal was miffed as he didn't get to shoot it,,,
I only brought two rounds for it.

My how times have changed.

Aarond

hq
February 21, 2014, 10:53 AM
The recent posts of how times of changed are interesting! Im 42 and from a rural farming area! I had 3 people in my 8th grade class! I remember doing a project on hunter safety and I brought my dads shotgun to school as a display piece!

I'm about your age and I remember vividly when I kept my IPSC pistol(s) and a few hundreds of rounds of ammo in my high school locker almost daily and went to the range right after school. That was in mid 80's and things seem to have changed quite a bit since...

morcey2
February 21, 2014, 11:10 AM
I knew quite a few guys who kept their shotguns in their lockers between October and January. When you have a teacher asking to borrow some shells from one of the students so he doesn't have to go back home before going hunting after school, you know it was definitely a different time. That was in the late 80s.

I took hunter safety in the middle-school lunch room.

Matt

LeonCarr
February 21, 2014, 11:18 AM
In late 1980s East Texas it was still common to have shotguns and rifles in vehicles during hunting season. I went skeet shooting on several occasions with one of the Assistant Principals who was also a handloader.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

ares338
February 21, 2014, 11:22 AM
My high school actually had a rifle team and actually shot evil guns at school. Go figure!

Bexar
February 21, 2014, 11:28 AM
Above all else God Bless him and all of our Patriot heroes. Please understand I was not laughing at him but in a lighthearted comment on why he reacted the way he did. If he is still alive and you happen to see him please thank him for his service for us our children and future generations.

Tirod
February 21, 2014, 12:19 PM
I purchased a modern sporting rifle about 1976, and still being on good terms with the ROTC instructor in High School, he invited me to teach a class on it.

So, I walked into school thru one of the many open doors with my rifle in a black Assault Systems case, pulled out the HK91, and gave five classes on it. Gave the history, tore it down, passed it around, seniors and freshmen alike. No problems at all, a small southwestern Missouri town of about 40,000 then. Then, no open carry was allowed by municipal regulation, tho. Now, open loaded carry is legal and fairly common. Just avoid schools, churches, the post office, etc.

Things change. I sold the HK and later built an AR. Much better rifle, and shoots much cleaner, too.

1911 guy
February 21, 2014, 12:52 PM
We used to take .22 and 20 gage to school, drop them off in the principals office and squirrel hunt on the way home. Only allowed o do it opening day, though.

Nwflycaster
February 21, 2014, 01:40 PM
Yes, for an English speech class, I once did a demonstration speech on small bore four position shooting and brought in my Anschutz 1413. That was many many years ago now, and I'm still shooting the same rifle today with all original parts except for replacing a worn out rail once. I certainly can't shoot it like I did back then, but I still enjoy it.

Shawn Dodson
February 21, 2014, 01:53 PM
In the fourth grade (1971) I took an SKS, that was recovered from the battlefield in Vietnam where my Marine father earned his Purple Heart, to school for show & tell (with prior approval of school officials). I hand carried it as I walked thru the neighborhood to and from school by myself (absolutely no adult supervision) and when I got to school it was put in the classroom coat closet. No big deal.

351 WINCHESTER
February 21, 2014, 01:58 PM
No, but I could have. We had a student that brought in his single barrel shotgun to make a new stock and forearm in woodshop. The only stipulation was that it was to be locked up when the student was not working on the gun.

FYI I carried a small pocket knife from third grade on and never once had a problem. Of course back then when a male student got out of line he had a choice. Swats with a robust paddle or inside or outside suspension. We never had any real problems.

Outlaw Man
February 21, 2014, 02:05 PM
Not truly a firearm, but my physics project fired projectiles propelled by homemade 22 blanks. We'd pull the bullet in the classroom - and cover it with wax. Probably not the smartest part of our project. It was 1998.

I carried a pocket knife almost daily.

wgp
February 21, 2014, 03:01 PM
Graduated 1970, large Kansas high school, we had a rifle club and a shooting range in the building with a bunch of target .22 rifles. The city police dept would come out and give us safety lectures. I once took my own .22 rifle to school to shoot on the range. Nobody ever shot anyone.

9mmfan
February 21, 2014, 03:24 PM
No, I was a little late to the party for that. I did take a model (just like a plastic car model, assemble it yourself) of a flintlock pistol for a presentation of different firearms actions. It was in my locker, visible, when the Assistant Principal walked by. He raised his eyebrows, I explained that it for a class project. He nodded, grunted and went about his business.

My teacher said she found the presentation interesting.

DougW
February 21, 2014, 03:31 PM
In the 70's my High School ROTC had operational 1903A2's and ammo in a wood cabinet for drill and rifle training and competition. Shotguns were in gun racks in the parking lot in early September for dove hunting season.

In the late 60's and early 70's I would carry my Remington 870 20ga Wingmaster in a soft case through the terminal at Love Field and carry it on to the Braniff flight to Houston or Harlingen, Texas. Stewardess (Flight Attendent) would stick it in a "closet" and I would retrieve it on the way out of the plane.

Good old days.................

Iggy
February 21, 2014, 03:32 PM
I drove to high school most days because a bus didn't come that far. I had a rifle and a revolver in the car at all times.

I use to take any new gun I got during highschool to the Principal's office and he would call the Ag teacher and BB coach to come to his see what I had.

I got called to the office to see guns that others brought to school too... Fair's fair!!

School was canceled on opening day of Elk season because most of the boys, some of the girls, and many of the teachers including the Principal, were "gone hunting".

MedWheeler
February 21, 2014, 03:52 PM
Closest I ever did (high school, in the 1980's) was a very realistic cap gun for a drama production. I was portraying a plainclothes LEO, and had found a snub-nose revolver lookalike in a K-Mart store. It was black, with a brown faux-wood stock, and a metal cylinder that even swung out to the side to take the then-new "ring caps" that were much louder than the old paper-strip ones.)

My part called for me to display the gun on-stage at one point, and fire it off-stage at another.

One of the performances was at a nursing home, and my female teacher's only reaction to the gun I was using was that she thought I was "gonna give those old people a heart attack!"

John828
February 21, 2014, 08:38 PM
In the late eighties, my sophomore science fair project was comparing lead shot and steel shot patterning. Took my shotgun and some shells to physics class. My teacher had a fancy camera that would take some micro-pictures of the pellets, so I could show the uniformity of the harder steel pellets. Then, in 11th grade, my project was comparing .22 penetration after I deformed the tip or sides of the bullets. Wasn't too scientific, but I didn't care. Heck, I even got to tour the Remington plant in Lonoke.

bergmen
February 21, 2014, 08:49 PM
I brought my Marlin bolt action repeating .22 rifle to my sophomore high school wood shop to make a custom black walnut stock for it. This was in 1965 in Cupertino, California (Homestead High School). When I asked (thinking that he would not allow it) he said it would be fine, he would lock it up in a cabinet when I was not in class and I could have it out on the floor for work. Nobody blinked an eye.

I completed the bedding and rough outside shape before the end of the school year. I had it in my class for at least a month working on it. I still have it down at the barn in my storage room thinking I would eventually finish it (48 years later and it is still sitting there).

My son now has that rifle and he is welcome to take this project on someday where I left off.

Dan

THe Dove
February 21, 2014, 09:00 PM
I love this topic Bendor and want to thank you for opening it up. Love reading the responses. I graduated from high school in SE Oklahoma in 1986. I had a pocket knife in my right front pocket, a loaded 22 pistol and a loaded 30-30 Winchester rifle in my pick-up, a can of Copenhagen in my shirt pocket and a hunting/skinning knife on the dash of my truck as well.... These were everyday and all I have to say is -------- I fit in with the rest of the guy's! LOL

College was different, but I still had'em. Just not in the truck or dorms. I had to keep them off campus. That was the law.

The Dove

Quentin
February 21, 2014, 09:00 PM
Never took a gun to school but did pour enough gunpowder in my science class volcano to make it real exciting! :D This was back in the late '50s.

Skyshot
February 21, 2014, 09:11 PM
Going to rural high school in Tennessee in the early 70's. When squirrel season opened every truck in the parking lot had a shotgun or .22 hanging in a gunrack. Fast forward to today, if a gun is spotted, a swat team is called in. Those day's are gone forever.

Red Wind
February 21, 2014, 09:16 PM
Never. In the Miami of the 1950's, guns were the furthest thing from our minds. From 1950 to 1960, 3rd grade to 12th, I never had a single conversation about guns with a fellow classmate or teacher.

Now, coral snakes, scorpions, cottonmouths,alligators, bows and arrows, and girls, yes! :D

km101
February 21, 2014, 09:40 PM
I went to HS in rural E. Texas in the mid 60's. All the boys that were old enough to drive usually drove old beater pickups. And most if not all had some kind of rifle or shotgun in the rack in the back window. You were considered to be kinda' odd if you didn't. We used to go dove hunting after football practice and the coaches would go with us. Everyone knew the guns were there (they could see them) and nothing was ever said about them that I knew about. And it was understood that most of us had a .22 pistol or a centerfire .32 or .38 in the glove compartment.

At the small college that I attended in Central Texas in the late 60's everyone dressed up for Western Week and many people wore their Western Gunfighter rigs to school. Many were either loaded with blanks or were black powder guns loaded with "wax loads".

All of this was accepted and was not considered out of the ordinary.

Today such shenanigans would result in swat teams, lockdowns and multiple prosecutions! As said before "My how times have changed." and NOT for the better!

bullzeye8
February 21, 2014, 09:44 PM
On my highschools rifle team right now and we take our .22 target rifles into school all the time. I would get in big trouble if I brought my own in though.

Schlegel
February 21, 2014, 09:57 PM
I didn't have a gun back then. I do recall opening day of Deer Season was an excused absence for boys. This was 84-87

I did wear a sharp sword to my senior Halloween dance. Couldn't do that now!

SuperNaut
February 21, 2014, 10:02 PM
I was in ROTC all through high school, so yeah. We even had a shooting range in the school basement.

jmorris
February 21, 2014, 10:06 PM
When I was in jr high I won a shotgun and rifle in a cheese and sausage sale for FFA. Being 15 or so at the time my Grandmother had to come to school to pick the up for me.

jenrob
February 22, 2014, 09:31 AM
Took my father's 22 rifle to school for show and tell. Walk right in the front door went to my locker and put it in there. Been a while but after one of my classes before I got to show it in class. They didn't come looking for me but they came by when I was getting into my locker. The principle and science teacher walking down the hall stopped and asked me about it. Then asked me if I would bring it to the office and just leave it there. Still got to show it and after school I walked right out the front door.

Racinfan83
February 22, 2014, 12:05 PM
Yes. And on any given day you could walk outside to the parking lot and find lots of guns hanging in rear window gun racks. Windows down too. Early 80's. We hunted before and after school.

Monkeybear
February 22, 2014, 01:05 PM
My high school had an air gun shooting team but the instructor was really weird and passive aggressive so no one really stayed on. They had a cool little range though.

No, we never had guns at school because we couldn't even talk about guns. Or have a picture of a gun. Or anything possibly gun related. It was "Zero Tolerance" and there was no process. If a teacher saw something gun related you were expelled and had to go to an alternative school. We had kid arrested for general mall ninja talk in a public chat room, AT HOME. Apparently someone knew the kid talking about guns was in high school, freaked out, reported it and things escalated from there. He missed three days of school after that and came back pretty freaked. The police had leaned on him pretty hard and his parents even harder.

SeanSw
February 22, 2014, 01:16 PM
No, but I brought a sword into school for a presentation. This would have been around 2000. I think I had to have it checked in and out at the office, but it was in my hands for the hour in between. It was a very real sword too, not the typical flea market junk most people come into contact with.

theotherwaldo
February 22, 2014, 01:38 PM
I never took a complete and functional firearm to school until I entered college.

I did take major components in to shop class to be bead-blasted, ground, hardened or tempered, and polished. I also fabricated hammers, triggers, sight-bases, and other small parts in shop class. I even took a muzzle-loader barrel in to have it drilled and tapped for target-shooting sight mounts.

I also took non-functional guns to school as stage props.

Later, in college, I took various guns in to fire on the ROTC range - and no, I wasn't in ROTC.

As an aside, a community college that I was involved in constructed a gunsmithing wing, complete with equipment and full staffing for fabricating and finishing fine firearms. Classes had actually begun before it was pointed out that the school's charter banned firearms and components from the campus.

Oops!

Nom de Forum
February 22, 2014, 02:06 PM
No, I never took a gun to school.

I made a gun in school.

In High School Metal Shop we all had a sand casting project to do, so I cast a small bronze cannon that shoots a .451 caliber lead ball with 30grs of FFFg. Of course that was back in the days when we thought IBM Selectric typewriters and touch-tone phones were high-tech, and nobody even imagined Columbine-type incidents were a possibility.

JRH6856
February 22, 2014, 02:40 PM
Of course that was back in the days when we thought IBM Selectric typewriters and touch-tone phones were high-tech, and nobody even imagined Columbine-type incidents were a possibility.

Still, incidents happened and people who experienced them knew they were possible, but back then we didn't have the internet to publicize them so widely or so quickly.

lopaka
February 22, 2014, 03:24 PM
West Texas - 1970.

I was on the school ROTC rifle team. The range was under the football stadium and you could hear the reports in the stands when we practiced. This is a time when they were selling Spanish war surplus 7mm mausers stacked in barrels at Kmart (I bought one) and brought it to school to show to my ROTC instructors - no fuss.

When prepping on the weekend before the prom every year, folks would come in fresh from hunting and stack arms in the corner of the cafeteria. I still remember a particularly gorgeous Marlin 30-30 with beautiful wood.

I mourn the loss of freedom and responsibility. Are we any safer or better for it?

mnhntr
February 22, 2014, 03:29 PM
I was class of 89 and in my freshman and sophomore year I shot in our trap and skeet club. We reloaded with our coach who was a science teacher in the classroom after class. We also could have our shotguns in our trucks or cars in the parking lot locked up.

jenrob
February 22, 2014, 05:20 PM
but back then we didn't have the internet to publicize them so widely or so quickly.

I thought a lady up the street was pretty sophisticated. She has a crystal with a silver tip on it that she dialed her rotory phone with.

Welding Rod
February 22, 2014, 05:50 PM
In college in CA in the mid 80s my AR15A2 carbine that made it to campus a few times, uncased - I didn't own a case back then. Once it was used for a "show N tell" in a college class by a female cadet friend of mine. Nobody got bent that I was aware of, but we did have an active Army ROTC program there and she and I may have both been recognized as cadets. I don't remember her being in uniform for the show N tell, but that was a long time ago.

matrem
February 22, 2014, 06:15 PM
Freshman year 77.
A buddy & I asked our shop teacher if we could work on our gun stocks in "free time". After a yes, my buddy, I, & several others had firearms in the industrial arts section of the high school.
Some were nothing but stripped stocks, but half, or even most were complete firearms. (nobody got hurt!)

A couple years later, my brother got permission from his english/ public speaking teacher, and next thing we know, he & I are loading our smallest loading bench into dads F 150 and unloading it at the basement drop off of the high school.

I got to see the eyes of those 15-16 year olds when he showed them just how simple loading .223 was.

Whatever is steering us off of that path,
Is going the wrong way.

slickracer
February 22, 2014, 06:33 PM
Heck, we brought our deer rifles and put on a drive behind the school.

BaltimoreBoy
February 22, 2014, 08:20 PM
Never did it.

I did consider taking a flintlock from about 1820 for an historical 'show & tell' to my daughter's little Montessori school early in the last decade, I thought it would probably be legal. But finally I decided it just wasn't worth the trouble and the risk of some ignoramus freaking out.

Oddly, a couple of years later on the campus of the University I was attending there was a big froo-fraw when some professor brought a flintlock musket and some goofball reported inaccurately that there was a 'gunman' on campus. Don't these people even watch movies like the Patriot? Gotta look out for those flintlock speed shooters I suppose. Military rifles & all of that.

tomrkba
February 22, 2014, 09:52 PM
Yes, in 1986 I took a Remington 1100 to high school to do a gun safety presentation for speech class.

MTMilitiaman
February 22, 2014, 10:06 PM
I graduated from high school in my small MT town in 2001. Not only did hunting rifles continue to be carried in vehicles on school grounds by both students and facility, despite the federal memos after Columbine, but my high school physics teacher actually brought a Ruger Mini-30 to class as part of a physics experiment.

As an interesting side note, not one drop of blood was spilled or was anyone tragically scarred.

Hardtarget
February 22, 2014, 10:08 PM
Yes I did! !968. I was a senior and had a speech class. We were given a "demonstration" speech assignment.
My dad, the teacher, and the principal talked and I showed how to field strip a Ruger .22 standard semi auto.

I was very surprised to get the OK for that one.

Mark

DammitBoy
February 22, 2014, 10:26 PM
From '74-'78 brought my rifle to high school every Wednesday for rifle team practice.

FROGO207
February 23, 2014, 08:35 AM
'74-'76 I also brought my own rifle to rifle club to practice. Was on the ROTC rifle team back then. Also built things firearm related in shop class. Stocks/cannons and a small single shot break open derringer. Also there were numerous rifles in racks in PU trucks in the parking lot of the high school. I left my rifle in my locker almost daily with a brick of ammo and NOTHING was ever said about it.:) Sad how the sheep are reacting these days.:banghead:

Captcurt
February 23, 2014, 11:33 AM
I was raised in a small town of maybe 200 people. The 3 room grade school was a 200 yard walk from the house. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades in one room, 4th, 5th, and 6th in one and a large kitchen/cafateria. Many times I took a gun to school where my teacher would put in the corner until school was out and then he would take me hunting with him and his oldest son. In high school everyone had a gun rack in the back window of their pickup. I don't remember ever having an issue concerning theft or possession. Back then you walked anywhere, anytime without worry. Now I am armed when I go to church. My, how times have changed.

Arizona_Mike
February 23, 2014, 04:37 PM
My late wife was less than 2 years older than I and kids in highschool and Jr. high used to leave their rifles in the principal's office and hunt on the way home in VT.

Mike

X hunter
February 23, 2014, 06:57 PM
I graduated in 82 and brought my anschutz 1413 everyday during rifle season. We also kept hunting rifles in our lockers. Everybody that's saying "it was really just the stock in wood shop" think about the kids that get thrown out of school for pop tarts shaped like a gun.

hartcreek
February 23, 2014, 11:46 PM
My father taught woodshop and yes some students brought in stocks to work on. One wood shop project was building a crossbow.

donjr5
February 23, 2014, 11:53 PM
Not for a project...always had the 20ga on the rack in the truck.
The Biology teacher would let you bring in your catch of the day to "dissect" for the class in the lab. Usually brought a few extra birds or bunnies for her to take home for supper

Salmoneye
February 24, 2014, 12:09 PM
In 8th grade (mid 70's) I had to give an 'oral presentation'...The topic I chose was how to clean a rifle...

Took an old Winchester .22 and got an A...

All through grade school, we were allowed to take our guns to school in order to hunt our way home 'cross-lots'...

All we had to do was stop at the office, and leave our guns behind the principals desk...

gunsablazin
February 24, 2014, 03:13 PM
I'm 50, and back in the "good 'ol days" my younger brother bought a 20g shotgun from our social studies teacher, and we took it home on the bus, it was in a case, and we had no shells, but still you'd never do that today!

sgt127
February 24, 2014, 03:23 PM
Yup. Late 70's in Dallas Texas. Private school. I did a demontration on how to properly clean a .22 rifle. Brought a Ruger 10-22 with me. I was told to clear it with the Principal who told me "make sure its unloaded, OK?"

I tell my kids all the time, if you did what I did, you would be on a watch list. And, for the time, I didn't do anything bad at all.

On the bright side, where I live now, one of my sons friends found a pocket knife in his backpack. Walked up to the teacher, handed it to her and said "Sorry, forgot I had this." She dropped it in her drawer and told him to get it after school. Thats the way its supposed to work.

Sistema1927
February 24, 2014, 08:14 PM
Graduated from HS in '74. We could take our own .22 rifles to school to shoot on the 50 ft. indoor range when the ROTC rifle team wasn't practicing. Plenty of rifles and shotguns in trunks, gun racks, and on back seats in the student parking lot. Took a double barrel coach gun to drama class as a prop, and also took an 870 to speech class for a segment on proper gun cleaning.

Those of us who were in ROTC had unfettered access to fully functional M14 rifles with "da switch", and we would take them twice a year to the range on the nearby Army base for a familiarization shoot. Since most of us were Army "brats", many of us had several magazines at home, full of military 7.62x51 NATO ammo. There was never a thought about using these to shoot up our school, but we had them just in case the "commie bastards" parachuted in as in "Red Dawn".

Now the poor neutered boys in our schools can't even take a pen knife to school, and I feel sorry for these emasculated kids. The unofficial school "uniform" (but not on ROTC uniform days when you stuck it in your pocket) was a 4" Buck folder in a leather belt pouch. We didn't have stabbings or shootings, if you had a beef with a fellow student you settled it man to man with your fists (and you didn't get suspended for it either).

theotherwaldo
February 24, 2014, 08:33 PM
How things have changed.
I went to pick up my six-year-old sister after class one day in 1980. I walked onto the unfenced playground and sat on a swing until school let out. While I waited I noticed something sticking out of the big sandbox. I walked over and picked up the USMC Ka-bar and sheath that someone left there. I stuck it in my back pocket and went back to waiting.

I was seen with the knife while waiting.

No lock-down.

No police swat team.

-And no, no one claimed the knife - I kept it for years thereafter.

Yep, things have sure changed.

Bill50
February 25, 2014, 02:15 AM
Dallas, TX 2011. I was working as a teaching assistant in a math department at a large University in a bad neighborhood.

1. A bill allowing concealed carry on college campuses was up for vote. Most of the professors opposed it (they thought all *something* would break loose if it passed). If the bill passed, however, all of them were planning on carrying concealed as soon as they could get the permit.

2. Everyone carried the largest knives they could legally own.

3. The graduate students in the math PhD program regularly left ammo in their cars.

4. The woman I was working under was contemplating if her 6 year old daughter was too young for her first rifle.

5. Grad students teaching courses and professors were encouraged by their students to go out shooting.

6. When the semester was over, everyone that had permanent resident status or citizenship and could legally possess firearms in the US was taken to the shooting range. Everyone loved going there.

7. Pre-class discussions often involved talking about what you were going to shoot that weekend.

pockets
February 25, 2014, 07:23 AM
Sure, in the early 1960's.

4season
February 25, 2014, 12:39 PM
Take a gun to school? Look what happens not days if a bullet even gets into a classroom: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=745123

wally247
February 25, 2014, 06:45 PM
We had one day in history class to show off military rifles and memorabilia and that was about it.

Most of the time there was a shotgun in my car in the parking lot, it was rural northwest Iowa and pheasant hunting ends at 4:30 so there wasn't enough time to go home and get a gun. I parked my car across the street from the school in a church parking lot, so I never actually had a gun on school property. Otherwise if someone found out I suppose I could have been in trouble.

I graduated in 2006.

ApacheCoTodd
February 27, 2014, 06:28 PM
I don't know about "project" but I had several times ridden to school on the bus with a rifle for after-school rifle team practice.

1977-1979... not so very long ago chronologically but eons ago socio-politically, more's the pity!

Harvie
February 27, 2014, 06:36 PM
I attended a Catholic grade school in the sixties. I was allowed to take my father's .45 1911 and his .25 Colt for show & tell. My classmates and teachers were not alarmed, rather they thought how cool my father was.

bowman1962
February 27, 2014, 06:54 PM
Graduated from a Central Louisiana school in 81. And I always had a 30-06 or a 12 gauge in the rack of my pickup and a Super Blackhawk in the box. As a matter of fact I don't remember anyone of the trucks that didn't have a gun in the window including the teachers. And we all parked out by the Smoking area!
Yeah, things have changed.....:rolleyes:

Hometeached1
February 27, 2014, 08:12 PM
Not as a project. I did have my rifle at "school" was homeschooled, so that might not count. The principle (my Dad when he's home from work) carries and the teacher (my Mom) has her SP101 near by.:D

frankmako
February 27, 2014, 08:23 PM
during hunting season we kept guns in the truck all season long. but this was in the early 70's. that was during a time when gun racks were in every pickup truck back window.

HOWARD J
February 27, 2014, 08:29 PM
I carried a gun every time I picked up the grandkids----as I was only picking them up it was legal

agme
February 27, 2014, 08:35 PM
For show &t ell, my first gun, a side by side 16 gauge savage 311, was told I should break it down (3 pieces) for the bus ride and leave it in the principal's office until show & tell time, oh, and you probably shouldn't bring in any ammo I was told.
Yeah, how times have changed.

Backpacker33
February 27, 2014, 08:41 PM
In the '50s I took a BB gun to school in the 6th grade, for a play. It was a CO2 replica of the Colt SAA. I even had a charged cylinder in it. No one checked it, which in retrospect was a stupid oversight, and I "popped" it on stage several times, being careful not to point it at anyone.

As an adult, I took my Great Great Great Grandfather's Civil War Harper's Ferry rifle to classes our sons were in, grades 3 to 5. I also took my replica 1858 Remington and 1851 Colt Navy. The teacher was a gun buff and Civil War buff and loved it.
Today I'd be arrested.

HighExpert
February 27, 2014, 08:46 PM
We used to bring our shotguns to school as town kids so that we could ride the bus home with the country kids to spend the night and hunt. Routine was keep the shells in your pocket and give them to your teacher to be returned at the end of the day. Place the gun in the back, action open and don't touch until final bell. Ride bus, action open and shells in pocket. Never had an incident.

oldbear
February 27, 2014, 08:48 PM
In 1971, I was taking a college Marketing class, and was required to do a role playing demo, for the entire class. I chose to market the Browning line of pistols. Brought a loaded High Power into class to be used as my visual. No one blinked an eye.

Gosh, how times have changed.

58limited
February 27, 2014, 09:00 PM
Early to mid-1980s I lived in a Dallas suburb. I took a muzzleloading pistol to history class for show and tell, just asked permission and that's it. Later I brought a Civil War era bayonet. I friend brought a functional but unloaded P-38 that his grandpa captured in Germany. And some of us had guns in our vehicles during hunting season, and we all carried pocket knives, and there was also a police officer on duty at the school as part of the drug program.

armoredman
February 27, 2014, 10:11 PM
A friend brought in his M-1 Garand for a class in JROTC. Watched my first ever live action demo of M1 Thumb...never knew a thumb could bleed like that.
Showed my P-38 to my Senior Army Instructor in the Supply Room, and he was quite taken with it - his father in law was actually Nazi SS, which was a weird story all of it's own.
This was the early/mid 1980s. Do it now, go to jail.

.455_Hunter
February 28, 2014, 01:31 AM
Yes- 1993 at Boulder High School in Boulder, CO.

Brought my Gew 88 Commission Rifle, Lebel bayonet, and Grandfather's sword for a presentation on WW1 for AP US History.

Stored the whole collection in the Vice Principal's office for the rest of the day- no fuss or bother.

If you enjoyed reading about "Did you take a gun to school for a project?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!