New Beretta models coming out soon?

PDA

bradvanhorn
April 1, 2004, 03:49 PM
I was reading a thread at berettaforum.com about a new Beretta model due out in the near (?) future, which for the time being is called the PX4 (?). Anyone here have any info on that topic? I've attached a picture of the Beretta I want, even though it doesn't exist... ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "New Beretta models coming out soon?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
George Hill
April 1, 2004, 05:14 PM
I'd buy it.

bradvanhorn
April 1, 2004, 06:46 PM
Hi George, it's good to know that someone else would like one too! I keep asking Beretta to make it for me in 40S&W and/or 45ACP, but for some reason they've quit answering e-mail... and their phones too... :D

Alan Fud
April 1, 2004, 06:51 PM
That looks like a frame mounted safety. Anyone know how it's going to operate?

WonderNine
April 1, 2004, 07:10 PM
The slide release safety lever combo looks like a nightmare. Barrel's too short and no open slide design....for me a Beretta's gotta have that. Also looks like Beretta is catching on to the "beavertail" phenomenon.

Not my thing.

Jim Watson
April 1, 2004, 07:37 PM
I guess you could look for one of the Phrobis closed slides offered for a while at the time of the Beretta slide breakage scandal. And put it on a Beretta Stock receiver with thumb safety. I don't know what a PX4 is.

bradvanhorn
April 1, 2004, 07:37 PM
o.k., first of all the picture I posted above is just my idea only. The new Beretta designs are being kept tightly under wraps, so even at Berettaforum.com we are all just left with speculation as to what the new models will be (or look like).

The manual safety seen in the pictures was actually manufactured on the Beretta 92/96 Combat/Stock models. It was a manual safety only, but the weapon could still be fired double action first shot if desired. Otherwise, you could carry with the hammer cocked and safety on.

My inspiration for the above design was taking a Beretta 96 Stock, modifying it with elements of the Elite II and the Vertec, and then adding a few other minor mods. What you'd end up with is a 96 Stock with Vertec rail-type dust cover, squared front of trigger guard, Elite II style hammer, and a shortened, closed top slide with Elite II style dovetail sights (Novak night sights for me thank you).

An open top slide would probably be o.k. too, but I just like the look of a closed top slide a little better. Anyway, it's all just fantasy, so I wanted to have a little fun with it.

otomik
April 1, 2004, 08:32 PM
I keep asking Beretta to make it for me in 40S&W and/or 45ACP, but for some reason they've quit answering e-mail... and their phones toodid you remember to tease them that Langdon left them cuz SIG makes a full-sized .45 and Beretta doesn't?

as much as i want a Beretta 92 series in .45 i fear it would be as big and underappreciated as the Star Megastar. i keep hearing the Beretta Forum about the Beretta locking block system being ill-suited to the .45acp's lower cup pressures but i don't really believe it because the Mauser C96 was copied in .45acp by the chinese and the p-38 was offered briefly in export in .45 before war broke out.

bradvanhorn
April 1, 2004, 08:56 PM
did you remember to tease them that Langdon left them cuz SIG makes a .45 and Beretta doesn't?

:D No, but I think that's an excellent idea! :evil:

Here's another picture for those who are dedicated to an open slide design. Alas I fear neither will not come to pass...

George Hill
April 2, 2004, 12:11 AM
Beretta DOES make a .45.

It's called a Cougar.
:banghead:
They will be forever the forgotten Berettas...

clubsoda22
April 2, 2004, 01:21 AM
That looks like a frame mounted safety. Anyone know how it's going to operate?

Probably exactly how the one on the taurus has operated for the past X number of years.

otomik
April 2, 2004, 02:47 AM
Anyone know how it's going to operate?
i think he's talking about the operating principal. like does the enclosed slide hint at it being basically a bigger cougar (rotating barrel)?

Beretta's signature open-slide design is a must, everything they've made that has abandoned that signature design has been a limited success (the Roma 90 .32acp double action, Tenax revolvers and the Cougar 8000-series). without an open slide it just doesn't feel like a Beretta. I think the PX4 will use the simplified (blockless) locking system you can see in the 9000S. gas-delayed blowback would be interesting but i don't like how difficult they are to clean with the gas-tube cleaning as if it were designed by eugene stoner or something.

George Hill
April 2, 2004, 04:17 AM
Why bother with gas? The tilting barrel works just fine.

Island Beretta
April 2, 2004, 12:40 PM
George I wonder if it is the 'Cougar' in the name why these Berettas tend to get brushed over. Maybe if it was named 'Beretta Lion' or 'Beretta Tiger' or 'Beretta Jaquar' it may have garnered wider appeal..:evil:

George Hill
April 2, 2004, 02:43 PM
I think it's cause there is no X in the name...

fulloflead
April 2, 2004, 03:11 PM
Is THIS what you're looking for?

http://www.shotshowreports.com/2004pg4.html

The frame-mounted safety had been the ONLY thing keeping me from owning a Beretta, so there will soon be one in my collection.:D (Hopefully.)

George Hill
April 2, 2004, 03:16 PM
http://www.shotshowreports.com/images/2004/vertec.jpg
Dayum! That's a good looking pistol! Not pimped out like the Billenium. I like that. I like that a lot.
When is it coming out? DETAILS MAN! I NEED DETAILS!

fulloflead
April 2, 2004, 03:21 PM
I don't know. You know everything I know now.;)
Find out and I'll draw my credit card from it's concealed carry holster in a flash!

Martini13
April 2, 2004, 06:07 PM
Why the forward serrations? The indent cut on the front of the slide is perfect for a press check.:banghead:

George Hill
April 2, 2004, 06:14 PM
In this case, I can overlook those scars.... but it would be nice to do without them.

WonderNine
April 3, 2004, 07:07 PM
George, that's a better picture. Maybe the safety lever wouldn't be so bad.....I assume it's gonna come with a plastic guide rod...but I see the trigger is not plastic.

I wonder how much more they're gonna charge for it if it's all steel? How much it will weigh?

Skunkabilly
April 6, 2004, 09:48 PM
I think it would be 42-45 ounces, unloaded.

I really hope the new polymer pistol doens't have a closed slide :(

If you enjoyed reading about "New Beretta models coming out soon?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!