help me choose a gun...

PDA

St. Gunner
February 5, 2003, 09:21 AM
I just stuck some guns on consignment and sold a couple at a show, all 7.62x39's in various configs. It has done a couple things, first it cleaned me out of semi-auto rifles, second it has me wondering if I even want another.

I'm a bolt guy, don't know why, just like to shoot em. But I am trying to decide whether to take this money and some extra and spend it on a nice bolt, something like a remington in 7mm or .308(actually I want a sendero in .280 but they don't make one), or to buy a shorty Ar, a Bushmaster with a bunch of mags and ammo.

I should have right at $1200 to spend, so a nice bolt and scope will drain the finances to next to nothing. If I buy an ar, it looks like I should be able to buy a bunch of mags and some ammo.

What kind of accuracy can I expect to get out of one of the 16" barreled bushmasters? Also what other brand of Ar's are worth a flip but don't break the bank?

decisions decisions...

Why don't all of you jump in and convince me one way or another.

If you enjoyed reading about "help me choose a gun..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cratz2
February 5, 2003, 09:38 AM
I got rid of most of my semi autos. I have three or four lever guns and the rest are bolts. This was a conscience decision.

A nice Remington or Winchester in 7mm would probably make a nice addition to your bettery. ;)

JHill
February 5, 2003, 10:54 AM
Word is that the newer Savage bolts are quite accurate if you're not absolutely sold on Rem. I have been pondering the AR movement and am trying to think ahead to how I can have a multipurpose AR.

So, my thoughts thus far would be to get a Bushy in 16" with removable handle (or RRA for that matter) and later add a 20" HBAR and some type of optic. That would give me something in the CQB and target genre.

Total cost just for the rifle complete and a different upper would probably be in the $1100 range. That would leave a little for ammo and mags.

Bob Locke
February 5, 2003, 01:11 PM
Bushmaster is probably the best value out there. I own an Olympic Arms PCR-4, and have been very happy with it, but most folks here will tell you that I may be the exception rather than the rule. And the Bushies will go for about $100 more, so it may be worth it to you.

I'd say get the semi-auto, because you just never know what may happen in the political world. I can't see bolt guns ever going away, though it's not TOTALLY impossible I guess, but there are always people going for the "assault weapons".

A 16" Bushie with a handful of spare mags, a soft-side case, and a case of ammo ought to run you right at that $1200. That'd be my recommendation.

JHill
February 5, 2003, 01:59 PM
Hey Bob,

How much you figuring on that rifle?

A standard 16" Bushy should go for $700-850

A soft case is what--$100

Is a handful of mags--5 or 7? $120-140

A 1/2 case of ammo--$110

Total= ~$1100 but there is tax...

so, never mind

Bob Locke
February 5, 2003, 02:48 PM
:D

(If it helps, the numbers you typed in are pretty much the ones I had in mind, except I was figuring an entire case of ammo rather than a half.)

If you enjoyed reading about "help me choose a gun..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!