Iowa HF384 to legalize suppressors

PDA

bluekouki86
February 22, 2014, 05:18 AM
We here in Iowa are one of only 11 states that do not allow the ownership of suppressors. We are trying to change that now. HF384 has passed committee and is heading to the floor for consideration. We would appreciate your support from inside or outside of Iowa. This would be a big step for Iowa firearm owners.

If you enjoyed reading about "Iowa HF384 to legalize suppressors" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Midwest
February 22, 2014, 06:49 AM
Good Luck to our friends in Iowa.

hso
February 23, 2014, 12:38 AM
Where does the pressure need to be applied?

Suppressors are safety devices that are sold in Europe over the counter because they help reduce hearing damage and limit the noise disturbing those not involved with shooting or hunting.

bluekouki86
February 23, 2014, 04:55 AM
Pressure needs to be applied to the members of the Iowa State House of Reps. I have personally wrote mine, and about 15 others so far. It has only been 3 years since we got shall issue concealed carry so we are making great progress here in a purple state.

Here is a list of all Iowa House Reps

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/house

bluekouki86
February 23, 2014, 05:21 AM
Here is a copy and paste list for your favorite email to make things easy

dwayne.alons@legis.iowa.gov,
marti.anderson@legis.iowa.gov,
rob.bacon@legis.iowa.gov,
chip.baltimore@legis.iowa.gov,
clel.baudler@legis.iowa.gov,
bruce.bearinger@legis.iowa.gov,
deborah.berry@legis.iowa.gov,
mark.brandenburg@legis.iowa.gov,
josh.byrnes@legis.iowa.gov,
dennis.cohoon@legis.iowa.gov,
mark.costello@legis.iowa.gov,
peter.cownie@legis.iowa.gov,
dave.dawson@legis.iowa.gov,
dave.deyoe@legis.iowa.gov,
cecil.dolecheck@legis.iowa.gov,
jack.drake@legis.iowa.gov,
nancy.dunkel@legis.iowa.gov,
dean.fisher@legis.iowa.gov,
john.forbes@legis.iowa.gov,
greg.forristall@legis.iowa.gov,
joel.fry@legis.iowa.gov,
ruthann.gaines@legis.iowa.gov,
mary.gaskill@legis.iowa.gov,
tedd.gassman@legis.iowa.gov,
pat.grassley@legis.iowa.gov,
stan.gustafson@legis.iowa.gov,
chris.hagenow@legis.iowa.gov,
chris.hall@legis.iowa.gov,
curt.hanson@legis.iowa.gov,
maryann.hanusa@legis.iowa.gov,
greg.heartsill@legis.iowa.gov,
dave.heaton@legis.iowa.gov,
lisa.heddens@legis.iowa.gov,
lee.hein@legis.iowa.gov,
megan.hess@legis.iowa.gov,
jake.highfill@legis.iowa.gov,
bruce.hunter@legis.iowa.gov,
dan.huseman@legis.iowa.gov,
charles.isenhart@legis.iowa.gov,
david.jacoby@legis.iowa.gov,
ron.jorgensen@legis.iowa.gov,
anesa.kajtazovic@legis.iowa.gov,
bobby.kaufmann@legis.iowa.gov,
jerry.kearns@legis.iowa.gov,
dan.kelley@legis.iowa.gov,
jarad.klein@legis.iowa.gov,
kevin.koester@legis.iowa.gov,
bob.kressig@legis.iowa.gov,
john.landon@legis.iowa.gov,
vicki.lensing@legis.iowa.gov,
mark.lofgren@legis.iowa.gov,
daniel.lundby@legis.iowa.gov,
jim.lykam@legis.iowa.gov,
mary.mascher@legis.iowa.gov,
dave.maxwell@legis.iowa.gov,
brian.meyer@legis.iowa.gov,
helen.miller@legis.iowa.gov,
linda.miller@legis.iowa.gov,
brian.moore@legis.iowa.gov,
dan.muhlbauer@legis.iowa.gov,
Patrick.Murphy@legis.iowa.gov,
jo.oldson@legis.iowa.gov,
steven.olson@legis.iowa.gov,
rick.olson@legis.iowa.gov,
tyler.olson@legis.iowa.gov,
scott.ourth@legis.iowa.gov,
kraig.paulsen@legis.iowa.gov,
dawn.pettengill@legis.iowa.gov,
todd.prichard@legis.iowa.gov,
henry.rayhons@legis.iowa.gov,
joe.riding@legis.iowa.gov,
walt.rogers@legis.iowa.gov,
patti.ruff@legis.iowa.gov,
kirsten.running-marquardt@legis.iowa.gov,
sandy.salmon@legis.iowa.gov,
tom.sands@legis.iowa.gov,
jason.schultz@legis.iowa.gov,
tom.shaw@legis.iowa.gov,
Larry.Sheets@legis.iowa.gov,
mark.smith@legis.iowa.gov,
jeff.smith@legis.iowa.gov,
chuck.soderberg@legis.iowa.gov,
art.staed@legis.iowa.gov,
quentin.stanerson@legis.iowa.gov,
sharon.steckman@legis.iowa.gov,
sally.stutsman@legis.iowa.gov,
todd.taylor@legis.iowa.gov,
rob.taylor@legis.iowa.gov,
phyllis.thede@legis.iowa.gov,
roger.thomas@legis.iowa.gov,
linda.upmeyer@legis.iowa.gov,
guy.vander.linden@legis.iowa.gov,
ralph.watts@legis.iowa.gov,
beth.wessel-kroeschell@legis.iowa.gov,
cindy.winckler@legis.iowa.gov,
matt.windschitl@legis.iowa.gov,
mary.wolfe@legis.iowa.gov,
frank.wood@legis.iowa.gov,
gary.worthan@legis.iowa.gov,
ako.abdul-samad@legis.iowa.gov

oss117
February 23, 2014, 10:59 AM
Text of the bill is here:
http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/linc/85/external/HF384_Introduced.html

Question from someone not familiar with such matters: Can a newly manufactured suppressor be considered "in compliance with the provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 and the federal National Firearms Act of 1934?"

OneWound
February 23, 2014, 05:46 PM
Is it me, or does this allow for the legalization of SBS's, SBR's, and machine guns as well?

bluekouki86
February 24, 2014, 09:02 AM
The way it reads to me (after 5 or 6 times through) is it only redefines the other NFA weapons, not legalize them.

OneWound
February 24, 2014, 09:27 AM
Blue, here is the part that I believe allows us to own NFA weapons:
"A person who possesses a device described in section 724.1, subsection 8, or a machine gun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun, as those terms are defined in section 724.1, in compliance with the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. ch. 44 and the federal National Firearms Act of 1934, 26 U.S.C. ch. 53"

bluekouki86
February 24, 2014, 09:35 AM
It is entirely possible that would open the doors for full NFA legalization. I certainly hope it does. The text of the bill is somewhat difficult to interpret (probably not on accident). I'll do more research and contact the sponsor of the bill and report back.

Ryanxia
February 24, 2014, 01:39 PM
oss117 - should be fine as long as you get the tax stamp for it. Newly manufactured suppressors are sold all the time. You can even make your own! (again with the tax stamp and assuming your state allows NFA items).

Darkbob
February 25, 2014, 07:17 PM
I wanted to add a few things.

When the bill passed its latest subcommittee, it did so with bi-partisan support. So that makes me hopeful that it at least has a chance of passing.

Also, when I e-mailed Rep. Windschitl (the bill's author and lead sponsor), he did refer to the bill as a "suppressor bill", however, I agree that the language does indeed allow for all NFA regulated goodies. In the Explanation section at the end of the bill, it says that "The bill amends provisions in Code section 724.2 authorizing the possession of certain offensive weapons in certain circumstances" which include possession that is "in compliance with the provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 and the federal National Firearms Act of 1934".

I've emailed my House rep, Daniel Lundby (D), and received a reply stating that he would be voting for this bill! I was kind of shocked. I'm still waiting for a reply from my senator.

Lastly, if you live in Iowa, please feel free to use the following link that was sent to me by Iowa Firearms Coalition to automatically send your reps a letter promoting this bill. It only takes a few moments and only asks for your e-mail (so they can reply :)), and your zip. You can also add your name as the Signature (bottom of the page), which they say is optional.

https://www.votervoice.net/IFC/campaigns/34420/respond

bluekouki86
February 25, 2014, 07:19 PM
Ok I contacted the author if the bill and you are correct OneWound. This bill as written would legalize all NFA weapons, BUT he is proposing an ammendment to legalize only the suppressor.

bluekouki86
February 27, 2014, 04:04 AM
I have an update!

The bill has be renumbered HF2381 and will be voted on TODAY 2/27/14. Make another push and contact your Reps!

Darkbob
February 27, 2014, 09:24 AM
The text of the bill has completely changed. It is much more simple, BUT they removed all references to all other NFA regulated items. It is now ONLY a suppressor bill. I copied the text of the bill below.

Even though it is not as good as it's previous version, it's still a big improvement. If you live in Iowa, please contact your reps. You can find them with this link (https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/find).

HOUSE FILE
BY COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY
(SUCCESSOR TO HF 384)

A BILL FOR

1 An Act concerning the possession of firearm suppressors.
2 BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA:
TLSB 1515HV (2) 85
rh/rj

1 1 Section 1. Section 724.1, subsection 8, Code 2014, is
1 2 amended by striking the subsection.
1 3 Sec. 2. NEW SECTION. 724.3A Firearm suppressors.
1 4 Any person, trust, corporation, or other entity may possess
1 5 a firearm suppressor if the firearm suppressor is registered
1 6 and possessed in compliance with federal law and regulations.
1 7 EXPLANATION
1 8 The inclusion of this explanation does not constitute agreement with
1 9 the explanation's substance by the members of the general assembly.
1 10 This bill relates to the authorized possession of firearm
1 11 suppressors.
1 12 Under current law, a mechanical device that silences,
1 13 muffles, or suppresses the sound of a firearm when fired is
1 14 defined as an offensive weapon. A person who is not otherwise
1 15 authorized to possess an offensive weapon is guilty of a class
1 16 "D" felony.
1 17 The bill allows any person, trust, corporation, or other
1 18 entity to lawfully possess a firearm suppressor if the
1 19 suppressor is registered and possessed in compliance with
1 20 federal law and regulations.
LSB 1515HV (2) 85
rh/rj

Ryanxia
February 27, 2014, 10:36 AM
Good luck guys, let us know how it goes!

Duff_McGruff
February 27, 2014, 12:02 PM
I don't think there was ever any real plan to get all NFA pushed through. The main buzz has been about suppressors the whole time. At least its a step in the right direction - makes zero sense at all for IA to have gun laws on par with liberal east coast states.

I think it has a better than good chance of passing through today. Unfortunately, the real fight will be getting it out of senate committee. Rob Hogg (sen. judiciary chair) has already said that "we don't need to vote on it this year"

Really wish I could just place my order for my threaded Lone Wolf barrel now, but I feel like that might jinx it.

Duff_McGruff
February 27, 2014, 12:14 PM
AHHHH I'm streaming the video feed of debate right now - its brain melting!

assassins, mass murder, contract killers, oh my!

Duff_McGruff
February 27, 2014, 12:43 PM
Passed 82 - 16

Darkbob
February 27, 2014, 12:49 PM
Yes! It passed resoundingly in the House. Hopefully it will have a similar success in the Senate!

If you haven't yet, Iowans, contact your Senators!

Gregaw
February 27, 2014, 03:36 PM
I've already emailed and heard back from my republican state senator, Amy Sinclair, that she will be supporting the bill. Hopefully it will find support on both sides of the aisle in the Senate as well.

Now I'm wishing I'd bought the Savage Mark II last year with the threaded barrel instead of the non-threaded...

stargeezer
February 27, 2014, 11:22 PM
Good luck guys! If you ever get class 3 approved, I'll move across the river!

bluekouki86
February 28, 2014, 01:31 AM
As if cheap and easily acquired CCW licences that allow you concealed and open carry of any legal gun you want isn't enough reason.

oss117
February 28, 2014, 10:45 AM
http://globegazette.com/news/local/legalization-of-gun-suppressors-hits-bulls-eye-in-iowa-house/article_ca9494ec-17ae-59a9-8871-50ccd14f6c5e.html

Dframe
February 28, 2014, 12:02 PM
I wish the best of luck to our friends just west of us. Never happen here in Illinois. The chicagocrats would fight it to their last breath.

bluekouki86
March 2, 2014, 09:48 AM
It is vitally important everyone contact their senators, and especially Judiciary Chair Rob Hogg of Cedar Rapids. He has already stated it will die in committee in the senate. Let him know otherwise!

Darkbob
March 5, 2014, 09:39 AM
Like it was mentioned above, the chair of the Senate Judiciary committee says he won't allow the suppressor bill to get a vote. I just received a link to the Iowa Firearms Coalition's action center.

https://www.votervoice.net/IFC/campaigns/34987/respond

This lets you send a pre-written letter to Senator Hogg (no, the Boss is not the Senator :D) requesting that the bill be given a vote.

Let him (and your Senators too) hear from you. I know I did.

OneWound
March 5, 2014, 10:58 AM
Is there any way to track it to know if it moves out of committee? Do we have a SB number or is it still called HF2381?

bluekouki86
March 5, 2014, 11:11 AM
I believe it does have a Senate number, but I can't recall what it is off the top of my head.

I have had several email exchanges with Mr. Hogg, and he seems to be falling back on why they (including Gov. Brandstead) banned them in 1983. Seems like a pretty weak excuse. I personally think he is holding this whole bill up solely on personal opinion, not the opinion of his constituents. Remember this at election time...

Duff_McGruff
March 5, 2014, 11:15 AM
You can track bills here:
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation

It is still HF2381. Currently, Sen Hogg is refusing to assign the bill to a subcommittee. It is listed as SJ422 after being sent and read in the senate but you can't look it up by that number.

OneWound
March 5, 2014, 11:44 AM
Thank you Duff, and blue, what are the chances that he will assign it to a subcommittee?

Duff_McGruff
March 5, 2014, 12:01 PM
Thank you Duff, and blue, what are the chances that he will assign it to a subcommittee?
Unfortunately, probably not very good unless he really gets the pressure put on him. That's why it's important to keep up with the calls and letters. At the very least, make it an inconvenience to him every day that he ignores it.

bluekouki86
March 5, 2014, 12:03 PM
Honestly slim to none. If you dig a little he has a very long history of killing pro gun bills this way in the Senate, even after strong support and bi-partisan majority votes in the House. He is simply a big RTKBA enemy, but pressure still needs to be applied. They only win if we give up.

Duff_McGruff
March 5, 2014, 12:27 PM
Here is the link from IFC that makes it really easy to let "Boss" know what you think.

https://www.votervoice.net/IFC/Campaigns/34987/Respond

bluekouki86
March 5, 2014, 09:32 PM
Don't want to drag this topic off too far, but I am preparing a 2016 run at the 85th district House seat here in Iowa. I'm going to do something instead of depend on others. Its the only way in my opinion.

Ryanxia
March 6, 2014, 09:43 AM
Don't want to drag this topic off too far, but I am preparing a 2016 run at the 85th district House seat here in Iowa. I'm going to do something instead of depend on others. Its the only way in my opinion.
Way to go.

Midwest
March 6, 2014, 09:53 AM
Excellent idea, good luck

Darkbob
March 7, 2014, 10:38 AM
I just wanted to update with part of a reply that I received from Senator Hogg.

"I have now assigned HF2381 to a subcommittee chaired by Senator Tom Courtney with Senator Julian Garrett and Senator Steve Sodders."

He went on to say that he is "not inclined" to bring up any firearms related bills this year. It's up to us to try to "incline" him properly regarding this bill. I am writing up an e-mail to send to my senator, as well as the three chairs of the subcommittee. I've copied their e-mails from the Iowa legislature website.

thomas.courtney@legis.iowa.gov
julian.garrett@legis.iowa.gov
steve.sodders@legis.iowa.gov

Please let them know, in The High Road way, what you think of the bill.

You can find your Iowa legislators here (https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/find). We've got to try to keep this moving.

OneWound
March 7, 2014, 11:07 AM
What would be the best way to write this e-mail? What grounds should I convince them that passing this thing onto the senate floor is the right thing to do?

Dframe
March 7, 2014, 11:59 AM
Meanwhile just across the river, a chicago legislator introduced a bill mandating the registration of every gun in Illinois. That one is DOA. It will get the votes of a few anti-gun chicago zealots and NOONE else.

gunnutery
March 7, 2014, 01:17 PM
I contacted my senator who said she'd forward it on to the judicial committee. Not sure if it's the same committee the bill is now in. I'll try to send an email today to the three committee panel members.

Makes me mad if we've come this far just to have it die.

If you enjoyed reading about "Iowa HF384 to legalize suppressors" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!