Best .22 Rifle Under $150.00

PDA

LynnKCircle
April 1, 2004, 03:15 PM
Just wondering -- what low-end .22 rifle gives you the most accuracy and value for the dollar? Has anyone had any experience with the Romanian .22 trainers wholesaling for around $60.00?

Thanks, all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .22 Rifle Under $150.00" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mulliga
April 1, 2004, 03:37 PM
The Romanian guns are okay. I have two; one is great but the other is "meh" (fail-to-feeds). They are fairly accurate, however. Do a search for "Romanian trainer(s)" and you should get some hits.

I asked about this same question back in the day.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63964&highlight=cheap+.22

PaladinX13
April 1, 2004, 03:39 PM
I was gifted a Romanian trainer and the one I got was very accurate. Heavy, but good otherwise.

Dorrin79
April 1, 2004, 03:55 PM
Under $150? I would get either a Ruger 10/22 (right around that price) or a Marlin model 60 ($110 at Wal-Mart).

In my experience, both are very reliable and fun to shoot.

The Marlin has a slightly better out-of-the-box trigger, and a longer barrel. In my experience, it is slightly more accurate (probably due to the two above factors) than a stock 10/22.

The 10/22 is handier, takes magazines (instead of the Marlin's tube feed) and has more aftermarket accessories than you can shake a stick at.

Kalos
April 1, 2004, 04:26 PM
Love my Marlin 60SS--it's light, handy, and accurate. Reliable too, though it starts to have problems after 500 rounds or so. My only beef is the irons/stock; the semi-buckhorn in the rear leaves much to be desired, and the stock tends to position your eye for a scope. Which is why I put a scope on mine--eventually a CZ will probably fill my need for an iron-sighted .22. :D

WonderNine
April 1, 2004, 04:36 PM
Marlin Model 60. A new 10/22 doesn't quite fit into that price point. The Model 60 is also more accurate and is probably THE most accurate cheaper semi-auto.

joab
April 1, 2004, 04:39 PM
Just go to a pawn, shop any pawn shop, and get the Marlin 60 for about $50 or so.

DonP
April 1, 2004, 06:10 PM
For $150 you can get a really nice used 60, a nice low range scope and enough ammo to shoot for a year and a half and get really good at it.

Get the older model that holds 15 plus rounds in the tube.

HarryB
April 1, 2004, 06:41 PM
Or for $200 you can get a CZ 452 Trainer/Special with a beech stock rather than the walnut of the Lux. Same great action/barrel/sights.

JamisJockey
April 1, 2004, 06:51 PM
10/22. I paid $159 for mine with the synthetic stock and sling. the plain jane wood one retails for as low as $129 on sale. Check the big sporting goods chains, and walmart & kmart.

P95Carry
April 1, 2004, 07:15 PM
I really think the lil Marlin 60 takes some beating ... great value and mine is pretty much a tack driver!

http://www.bedford.net/design/cb_gun2/marlin60_s.jpg

George S.
April 1, 2004, 07:40 PM
I'll add my vote for a 10/22. At $159 for the basic carbine at Wally World, they are an excellent choice for plinking and even some target use.

With all the accessories available, you can turn this rifle into a very accurate sub-MOA shooter. The only thing left that's original on mine is the trigger housing, receiver, and bolt I've added a Bushness 3-9x32 scope, Green Mountain 18" fluted barrel, Boyds thumbhole stock, Power Custom hammer and sear and did a little polishing/smoothing inside. With Winchester Dynapoints, I can get 1" groups at 50 yds when the wind is calm and I pay attention to what I'm doing.

If you want a bolt action, look at the Marlin 25n or a CZ 452 Scout or Savage for cheap fun!

Kalos
April 1, 2004, 08:13 PM
Weighing in again on the side of the Marlin 60, I should point out that I considered the ruger as well. What swayed me in favour of the Marlin was that the appeal of the stock ruger seems to be replacing -everything- on it--from the barrel, to the firing pin, to the stock. I understand the appeal, but I wanted something that'd be ready to go right out of the box--the marlin definitely did that. W/ the stainless steel and laminate stock, it's even pretty, too! :D

standingbear
April 1, 2004, 08:19 PM
the versatile 10/22. just remember the receiver is an aluminum alloy and not to over tighten scope base screws by locktite them and later removing them or use steel screws in the base..i stripped the threads out of 2 of mine.my uncle has a 10/22 that hes prolly put well over 100,000 rnds through.the barrel is rusted and its all banged up but it still works.

Mulliga
April 2, 2004, 07:52 AM
I have a Model 795SS - basically a Model 60 that takes detachable magazines and has a stainless steel barrel. It's reliable (well, as reliable as a cheap .22 autoloader can be :) ), and fun to shoot. Got it new for $90, but that was a one-time sale.

Master Blaster
April 2, 2004, 08:26 AM
If you really want a unusual rifle that has match grade accuracy and a fantastic trigger out of the box, spend a little more and get either a EAA Biathalon basic, or a CZ 452 trainer (special).

The 10/22 is a good gun and you can later customize it. at 150 its ready to take to the range in the basic model carbine.

You also might want to look at a heavy barrel savage, but they like the biathalon come without sights.

My advice to you is too look carefully and take a snap cap so you can try the triggers.

A good .22lr will become the rifle you shoot most if you really enjoy shooting. Its also great for introducing new shooters to the sport.

LynnKCircle
April 2, 2004, 09:43 AM
My thanks to all who responded. Now I have another question. I'm in the process of selling off some of my guns in order to pick up needed cash. Among them is a 1942 "US Property"-marked Mossberg M44, (WWII .22 training rifle) for which I can get almost $300.00.

However, as most of you feel, I don't want to be without a .22 rifle. Therefore, if I sell it I want to replace it. But, of course, since the purpose is to pick up money, there's no sense in this if I don't end up with at least $100.00 cash in my pocket.

I could almost do that if I could find the CZ452 trainer, but they seem to be pretty scarce. Any other CZ452 will run me as much if not more than I'll get for the sale of the M44.

I also couldn't find a lot out about Marlin 60's, other than they are still current products. The Marlin web site's retail price is almost as high as the CZ252, starting at $185.00 and quickly moving up to $300.00.

So, I might just stick with the M44 which, despite its age, easily shoots four to six inch groups at 100 yards with its iron sights and my 62 year-old eyes -- using Wallyworld bulk 550 round boxes of under $10.00 ammo! (Certainly the gun itself can do a LOT better than that, and even I might if I used match grade ammo.)

However, for those who have fired the Mossberg and either the Marlin 60 or the CZ 252, I'm wondering how they stack up. Does anyone know?

Rupestris
April 2, 2004, 09:52 AM
Another vote for the Marlin Model 60.
I was able to find one with a synthetic stock and Williams FireSights for $129 ar a local sporting goods chain store. When looking at the 10/22, the two add-ons I was going to buy first were the synthetic stock and better iron sights. The Marlin came with both and was about $20 cheaper than the Ruger. It has a scope now but it was quite accurate and consistant right out of the box with the Williams sights.
As for the price, You should be able to find a Model 60 at walmart for $99 for the base model.

joab
April 2, 2004, 10:35 AM
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=17267634 http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=17165840 http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=17212930 http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=17142844 http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=17117819

Artcile on Marlin 60 (http://www.milesfortis.com/dunn/model_60.htm)

.22 forum for more info (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=20)

VG
April 2, 2004, 11:31 AM
So, I might just stick with the M44 which, despite its age, easily shoots four to six inch groups at 100 yards with its iron sights and my 62 year-old eyes -- using Wallyworld bulk 550 round boxes of under $10.00 ammo! (Certainly the gun itself can do a LOT better than that, and even I might if I used match grade ammo.) I replaced the front post on my M44 with the Lyman hooded sight, and it's much better.

If you're going to keep shooting a .22 at 100 yards, I'd stick with the Mossberg. If you bought it from CMP you don't have much in it. You won't be getting a lead-lapped barrel for less than $150 anywhere.

The other rifles named are much lighter, handier rifles, so it really depends what you're using it for. I wouldn't be wild about shooting squirrels with an M44. But with standard velocity CCI ammo mine shoots very tight groups. I don't shoot the Wally bulk pack anymore because the other stuff is noticably more accurate. 3 cents per round instead of 1.8 won't break the bank.

Paco
April 2, 2004, 11:50 AM
Taurus M62 all the way.

I have a Ruger 10/22 which is stock except for a burris 3x9scope on top and I shoot the Taurus with its tang sight WAY better, believe it or no. It has a slightly better trigger, breaks down and is not nearly as ammo sensitive at any auto .22 I've shot. AND you can click the hammer back and make that supposed 'dud' in the chamber go BOOM! Well, maybe not BOOM, but POW! I have the carbine version and it's great.

I think a tunede 10/22 with some good money thrown into it is a joy to shoot, but that's just it: you've gotta spend bread to make it really good. I like the iron sights in rugers though.

Get both: one for camping and small game hunting when hiking or deep in the woods and the other for competition and sustained precision fire once you've dumped some money into it.

Paco
April 2, 2004, 11:52 AM
P.s. on lever-action and pump .22s, you can really take advantage of Paco Kelly's bullet-head molds that accurize and make the .22 more effective in different applications. No P.Kelly and I are not related- He stole the name from ME!:p

-paco

R.H. Lee
April 2, 2004, 11:53 AM
Installation of a Volquartsen hammer in a 10/22 makes a WORLD of difference to the trigger pull. I regularly pop golfballs @ 100yds with mine :)

joab
April 2, 2004, 12:04 PM
Paco
I have the Rossi 62 in short take dowm model it is sweet
I also have a stock $125 scoped Ruger that I shoot empty shot gun shells at 100yds
My Marlin is as accurate as either of them but with iron sights my old eyes limit it's effectiveness
My old Winchester made Sears model 35 pump is accurate but has always suffered from function problems
Best of all is my OLD Savage 6A long barreled and heavy as hell but at 18 I made a 125 yd impossible shot into a snakes head killing it instantly.

Paco
April 2, 2004, 12:46 PM
RileyMc-how much for the hammer?

See that's just it: the 10/22 has a HUGE parts aftermarket but right outta the box I think Marlins, non-auto Rugers, Savages and even some of those little Czech imports outshoot the stock 10/22. I'm a tinkerer and I don't mind spending coin on making something into what I want, and I love my spiffy 10/22 but if I was on a budget, I might look elsewhere.

I dunno. This kinda sounds like the 1911 against other outta-the-box service pistols argument. the 1911 has an even bigger parts aftermarket AND a very prolific gun culture both in smiths, and competition shooters BUT I'd take any $400 service pistol over a STOCK $400 1911. Back on topic.

Having said all that there is NOTHING like a finely tuned 1911 or a finely tuned and set-up 10/22 for plinking. They feel and perform exactly what you always thought guns should be doing in your hands.Save your pennies any which way you go!
-paco

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .22 Rifle Under $150.00" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!