Where Have All the Good Carry Revolvers Gone?

PDA

SixRounds
February 23, 2014, 04:13 PM
So, I'd like to know if I'm beating a dead horse here, but what exactly has happened to all the quality carry revolvers of yesteryear?

Smith & Wesson: I see report after report of crappy S&W quality. Crooked barrels, out of time, MIM parts breaking. Any why in our post-Clinton era do we still contend with those stupid internal locks? That is, unless you want to purchase one of three models (the 340 M&P, 442, and 642) that are still available sans lock when you can actually find one.

Ruger: I have to hand them credit, they make fine all-steel double and single action revolvers, but they're overbuilt beasts. With the exception of the SP-101, of course. That's about as pefect as a carry gun can get--moreso if they'd bring back the .327 Federal Magnum version. If it weren't for the stupid lock they put on the LCRs, they would make the cut as well. At least they had the courtesy to put them inside the grip stud, but that's not the point. I prefer engineers and not lawyers to design my firearms.

North American Arms: I can't say anything bad about their revolvers, but I can't say anything good about the calibers either. Obviously it wasn't their intent to make a primary carry weapon, but I'd love to see them try to make something more potent in the future. A+ for no stupid lawyer features.

Charter Arms: My hat goes off to them for not submitting to the lawyer culture as well. However, if you're going to make your gun with a plastic trigger guard, at least admit it by not making it the same color as the rest of the gun. I also hear tale after tale of timing issues after a few dozen rounds. Thankfully they stand behind their product for life, but a gun in the shop doesn't help me shoot the bad guy in front of me.

Taurus, Rossi, EAA, RIA, ETC: PASS.

So, is there anyone left out there who makes a quality, carryable, forged, durable, and lawyer free revolver in a serviceable caliber for defense? Or am I relegated soley to the various gun auctions to hope for a gem from the past?

If you enjoyed reading about "Where Have All the Good Carry Revolvers Gone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bannockburn
February 23, 2014, 04:27 PM
I would look for a gem from the past. When I find a gun that works right, is reliable, accurate, and built for the long haul, I tend to hang onto it. Most of my revolvers were made over 30 years ago. Only newly manufactured revolvers that currently interest me are Rugers.

Iggy
February 23, 2014, 04:48 PM
Welcome to the forum.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/Iggy25/BBQrig.jpg

The good old revolvers? Probably some old phart like me is still carryin' them.:evil:

Sam1911
February 23, 2014, 04:55 PM
I'd like to know if I'm beating a dead horse here

Pretty much. If you've really looked through the catalogs of the manufacturers and not a single one of them makes something you will carry, then ... they ... don't.

Some of us have found things we like to carry and which are still made today. Others buy great old used guns which apparently suited you then, and would still work for you now. They're out there, just be prepared to pay what the market value might be.

(You can occasionally still find DAO Model 64s, 4" .38, fixed sights -- great carry gun -- for under $400 as security company trade-ins at J&G or CDNN. Keep your eyes peeled.)

But not much point in asking where are the things you say aren't made any more.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where Have All the Good Carry Revolvers Gone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!