Safe Queens

PDA

Lindy7443
February 25, 2014, 08:32 AM
I'm always seeing in the For Sale forums things like, "...I never use it, it's a safe queen" or "It's too pretty to shoot, it's a safe queen...." I see other threads in other forums referencing the same. I do not have any safe queens. I own a few handguns and a few long guns and none of them are immune from service. I have my favorites that get more shots down range but all of them get used.

I haven't paid more than $600 for a handgun, but I'm pretty sure if I spend $1000 or $2000 on a really nice gun I'm going to use it like any other gun I have. In fact at that price I better use it a lot.

Anyone else immune to safe queens?

If you enjoyed reading about "Safe Queens" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WaywardAce
February 25, 2014, 09:34 AM
Like yourself, all of my guns get shot a lot and were purchased at reasonable costs. I used to not understand the concept of safe queens as well. That being said, I'm kinda hankering for pretty guns to fuss over and baby at this point in my life. I think it's just a case of me getting old and getting more in touch with my collector/admirer of craftsmanship side of gun enthusiasm to go along with my love of shooting.

utbrowningman
February 25, 2014, 09:38 AM
Similar to what I would see at car shows - "Real street rods are driven."

Vol46
February 25, 2014, 09:44 AM
I am not immune - I have several rifles & a few shotguns that rarely get fired anymore. I only get out to shoot a couple of times a month, and with 4 handguns, 4 or 5 rifles, and a couple of shotguns that I use regularly and like to keep tuned up with and sighted in, that leaves a number of guns do not get out much.

Some are special purpose (magnums for elk hunting, long range goose/duck guns, etc.) some are guns I used to hunt with, but don't use much anymore, and some are just guns I thought would be cool to have that have never gotten used much.

GBExpat
February 25, 2014, 09:48 AM
I have acquired quite a few firearms over time and do not, these days, shoot very often ... so some of mine would probably fall into a Safe Queen category ... but not by intention. ;)

jrdolall
February 25, 2014, 09:59 AM
As your collection grows you will eventually own some guns that you no longer enjoy shooting or just don't have the time to shoot. Unless money is a problem then those guns wind up becoming "safe queens".

When I had 10-20 firearms I didn't have any safe queens. Now I probably have 25 or so that NEVER get fired and a few that I fire maybe one time a year. Duplication, spur of the moment purchases, inherited guns, etc lead to owning guns that just don't really have a place in your arsenal and I can't bring myself to sell my guns.

GBExpat
February 25, 2014, 10:10 AM
Well stated, jrdolall!

mgmorden
February 25, 2014, 10:15 AM
Nothing I have is an "official" safe queen, and I've shot everything I own at least a few times, but I do have guns in the safe that get shot very, very rarely. Not so much because they're pretty or anything but because I just have guns that I like better.

il.bill
February 25, 2014, 10:15 AM
Like yourself, all of my guns get shot a lot and were purchased at reasonable costs. I used to not understand the concept of safe queens as well. That being said, I'm kinda hankering for pretty guns to fuss over and baby at this point in my life. I think it's just a case of me getting old and getting more in touch with my collector/admirer of craftsmanship side of gun enthusiasm to go along with my love of shooting.

That is a good way to put it. None of my firearms were 'expensive' (although I must admit that I have overpaid on accasion), and I certainly own no 'safe queens', but I do have some guns that I have not yet fired since taking possession of them. One example is a hex receiver M91/30 Mosin-Nagant from 1937. I have had it apart numerous times, cleaning out the cosmoline seeing how the parts fit and work together, shining and lubing it up. I have a couple hundred rounds of ammo, but have never fired it, and still like it a lot. If I can feel that way about an almost 80 year old $110 rifle, one of literally millions, I can now understand someone else feeling that way about their expensive or rare 'safe queen'.

I really think that money must have a lot to do with it, too. I cannot afford to have significant cash invested in a collectible that is never really used. A good buddy has several handguns that are NIB and have never even had the hammer cocked, much less been fired. They are beautiful, but ultimately 'dead' objects to me. I realize it is an inane thing to say, but if I were: a custom street rod I would want to be driven and not trailered to a car show; an animal in a zoo I would want to walk around on grass and earth instead of a concrete floor in a cage; and if I were a firearm I would want to throw some lead out my muzzle now and then, as well as be fondled and admired at home.

Smokey Joe
February 25, 2014, 10:40 AM
I too am a shooter, not a collector. There is no sign in front of my house, "Smokey Joe's Museum." FIREarms, are made to be fired, IMHO. The ones I have a problem with--And would therefore never intentionally own--are the "commemoratives" for this and that, which are made to never be fired. The reasoning behind collecting those is something I cannot understand.

Shanghai McCoy
February 25, 2014, 10:45 AM
I confess, I do have a couple of my blackpowder guns that havn't been shot.:o
Yet...;)

morcey2
February 25, 2014, 10:47 AM
I have a couple that are de-facto safe queens, simply because I haven't had time to shoot them. Every gun I buy is meant to be fired. That may change if I get one that is of serious historical significance _AND_ it's not considered safe to shoot, but that's about it.

I view it the same as everyone that buys these awesome 4x4 trucks, shiny and new, jack them up, put big mudders on them, do serious drivetrain and suspension upgrades for off-roading, but then they're too worried about scratching them to take them off-road or even out in the snow, heaven forbid.

Matt

scramasax
February 25, 2014, 11:09 AM
The only guns I have as safe queens are the ones I haven't had time to shoot. I was cured of this malady long ago. My father collected Colt and Winchester commemoratives . To look at one too hard would lower its value. Now some of them have become shooters because they are in the price range of todays guns. The other guns that are being sold/traded off are the antiques that are not shooters. Yes I shoot a factory engraved S&W and the Mauser BH made in 1896. Not often but enough to justify me owning them.

Nothing wrong with collecting guns not to shoot just for the pleasure of the history, design or beauty. Just not what I enjoy.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

gym
February 25, 2014, 11:17 AM
Only in general the fact that I shoot less now than ever before, as I get older and ranges get farther away, and ammo costs more. I still do my dry fire exercises, and carry any and all of my guns at some time. I won't buy any more "range guns" as they won't get used. Only possibly a HD gun with a laser/light on it. It's more for you younger guys, "under 60", to carry the torch. If I get there every other month, it's considered good.

AlexanderA
February 25, 2014, 01:33 PM
Being a collector, all my guns are "safe queens" -- even though I hate that term. I don't shoot any more, for the following reasons: (1) "been there, done that" -- at my age doing the same thing for the 1000th time doesn't interest me, (2) shooting puts extra wear and tear on the weapons, lowering their value, (3) guns need to be cleaned after firing and I'm too lazy, and (4) waste of expensive ammunition.

I'm posting this to say that gun owners don't all fit in the same mold. People do what they like with their guns and there's nothing wrong with that.

tarosean
February 25, 2014, 01:40 PM
I've got 5 22lrs that are current safe queens! :uhoh:

At one point I had too any guns.. Stuff I hadn't shot in many years as interests changed.. Did a lot of spring cleaning and still have too many handguns but would like to get down to a couple dozen..

thriller
February 25, 2014, 01:56 PM
I have a winchester 9422 xtr that remained unfired (mfg. in 86) until the beginning of Janurary this year. I couldnt help myself. I do have a remington 7600 in 30-06 also made in 86 which has never been fired. Im struggling with the decision if I should or not. If I do, then I will hunt with it. If I hunt with it, Id like to put a sling on it, but I cant see drilling that perfect stock.

spm
February 25, 2014, 01:58 PM
Similar to what I would see at car shows - "Real street rods are driven."

What utbrowiningman said:
Cars are meant to be driven and guns are meant to be shot, IMHO.

s.

heycods
February 25, 2014, 03:24 PM
I have had some shoulder issues for last few years, I have several kickers in my safe. No they are NOT for sale. :)

Teachu2
February 25, 2014, 03:38 PM
I buy 'em to shoot, even/especially the expensive one. Why would I pay a pile of money to get a guaranteed accurate gun and then not shoot it?

Of course, there is an exception. I have a NIB Glock 19, and I haven't shot it because I have two G23s and a LW 9mm conversion barrel that works flawlessly. One day in the not-too-distant future, Glock may abandon Gen3 and leave California without new Glocks - and it should be worth at least $20 more than a fired one, right? :evil:

I teach a lot of newbies to shoot, and sooner or later the G19 will go home with one - or I'll shoot it.

hardluk1
February 25, 2014, 04:10 PM
I have no use for a safe queen or BBQ gun. Nothing for all show and no go . Guess that one reason if I was to buy a high priced firearms it would never be pretty too. I would rather have a quality black composite stock and matt finshed metal work hunting rifle over a fancy wood and some high gloss metal and wood version of the same firearm. Same for handguns. Function over looks.

Jackal
February 25, 2014, 04:24 PM
Also, if you purchase a gun that you have no intention of keeping long term, it can be a safe queen. I have had many such guns that I purchased with no intention of really using other than for trade stock. Why ding up or possibly damage a gun that your going to sell/trade?

AlexanderA
February 25, 2014, 04:31 PM
I have no use for a safe queen or BBQ gun. Nothing for all show and no go . Guess that one reason if I was to buy a high priced firearms it would never be pretty too. I would rather have a quality black composite stock and matt finshed metal work hunting rifle over a fancy wood and some high gloss metal and wood version of the same firearm. Same for handguns. Function over looks.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what a "safe queen" is. All my so-called "safe queens" are very utilitarian, being, for the most part, military guns. And I make sure they're in workable order, too. It's not their fault that they don't get shot.

February 25, 2014, 04:38 PM
As a hunter,my guns values have been determined by their accuracy and suitability for the conditions of the hunt.None are exempt from firing.Its been this way for 58 years.

Rusty Luck
February 25, 2014, 05:15 PM
I have no "safe queens" if I am looking at gun that I feel would just sit there and not get used I always pass on it. And if I do have a gun that I don't shoot I usually sell it.

GBExpat
February 25, 2014, 05:21 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what a "safe queen" is.
A few folks here clearly think that "Safe Queen" refers to a firearm acquired with no intention to ever fire/use it.

Most of us seem to think that a "Safe Queen" is one that sits in the gunsafe, very rarely, if ever, used, for whatever reason.

herrwalther
February 25, 2014, 05:53 PM
I only have one safe queen: A commemorative Para GI Expert 1911 that is engraved with detail of my last deployment. And not even that firearm is completely immune. I have fired exactly 57 rounds through it. And it still comes out from time to time when I miss the feel of a single stack. *Sigh* I really need another 1911 for carry.

Paul7
February 25, 2014, 06:10 PM
As your collection grows you will eventually own some guns that you no longer enjoy shooting or just don't have the time to shoot. Unless money is a problem then those guns wind up becoming "safe queens".

When I had 10-20 firearms I didn't have any safe queens. Now I probably have 25 or so that NEVER get fired and a few that I fire maybe one time a year. Duplication, spur of the moment purchases, inherited guns, etc lead to owning guns that just don't really have a place in your arsenal and I can't bring myself to sell my guns.
I sell the guns I don't shoot anymore, have sold a bunch and don't miss them, too many new guns to try. Not only don't I have safe queens, I don't have a safe, but they're all insured. Unless you have grandpa's 1911 he carried on D-Day, I don't see the sense of getting emotionally attached to a thing.

larryh1108
February 25, 2014, 07:22 PM
I can see a safe queen as a hand-me-down gun from a loved one or a rare gun from years gone by that will increase in value over time.... kind of like gold sitting in your safe.

I don't have a gun that I've lost interest in and never shoot.... for whatever reason. I don't understand the mindset that you never sell one of your guns. It may work for some but the premise is lacking. If it has no collector value, if it isn't a family heirloom, if it doesn't fit your hand, or style, why keep it? The day will come when it goes to another home anyway unless you request you are buried with your entire collection. Yeah, don't sell it now 'just because" because when it is dumped when you pass on, I'm sure your heirs will get $.20 on the dollar.

I can see keeping your favorite hunting gun even though you haven't hunted in 15 years. You may get asked to go next year! However, that cheap gun that doesn't fit your hand or you can't shoot for crap will rot in your safe until you pass on. Why not sell it to someone who will appreciate and may even shoot it?

Grassman
February 25, 2014, 07:32 PM
Have a Remington 1100 that was the National Turkey Federation gun of the year, that I won a few years back, that I have not shot, and don't really intend to shoot. Guess that is my safe queen.

jrdolall
February 25, 2014, 08:37 PM
I don't understand the mindset that you never sell one of your guns. It may work for some but the premise is lacking. If it has no collector value, if it isn't a family heirloom, if it doesn't fit your hand, or style, why keep it?

I don't sell my kids either but one day they will move on to other places. I didn't say I wouldn't sell a gun. I actually did sell one last year to a relative that needed a carry gun. I don't need the money that I could gain by selling off my extras and a new safe is about $1,000 so I just buy a new one and rearrange the guns.

As to what my heirs will do with the guns when I am gone...I really don't care. I'll be dead and they can chunk them in the river for all the difference it will make to me at that point.

Once in a while I pull them all out and fondle some of the ones I never shoot. 100 year old rabbit ear double barrels. Old single shot shotguns. 100 year old S&W pistols. Multiple Mosins. Collector, hoarder, enthusiast whatever you prefer.

PS I have a bunch of cars too.

huntsman
February 25, 2014, 08:41 PM
Expensive ammo and nasty weather has turned all but my carry gun into safe queens

gym
February 25, 2014, 08:50 PM
There is always going to be something new that you want to try, if the old ones are just sitting there collecting dust, why not use them to buy a new one that will tweak your interest for a while. Nothing is forever and everything material is for sale at some time for some price.

bushmaster1313
February 25, 2014, 10:46 PM
This one is staying in the safe.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag141/bushmaster1313/CIMG1906_zps36a221d6.jpg

(until it get warm enough to take it to the trap club :p)

Ky Larry
February 25, 2014, 10:54 PM
Everything in my safe gets shot, including my Snakes. Having guns that are too pretty to shoot is like being married to Miss America and having seperate bedrooms. Whats the point?:rolleyes:

duck911
February 25, 2014, 10:54 PM
Like the Stages of a Hunter (http://people.ucalgary.ca/~powlesla/personal/hunting/text/stages.txt) I think in some cases the same applies to firearm ownership.

When I was 18 I owned exactly ONE weapon: a Remington 870. That gun shot every animal that moved, paddled a boat more than once, dug a 1984 Nissan pickup out of the mud, possibly whacked a dumb Labrador or two, and was spray painted on a weekly basis.

If you'd asked me then about safe queens I'd have laughed and told you I'd never own a gun I wouldn't be willing to use. And by use, I mean, abuse. I didn't have the money to buy a nice firearm, and I didn't fully contemplate the eventual reality of owning family history.

But over the years, I've matured, and things change. These days I have firearms that serve many purposes. Some are precision long range builds, and others are important family hand me downs and other firearms that are more rewarding to me to clean, handle, and reminisce over, rather than shoot.

Times change. Tastes change. Priorities change.

But that 870 is still my go to during bird season....

astra600
February 25, 2014, 11:03 PM
I have a sporterized Arisaka type 99 in 30-06 that my late father-in-law gave me. I have no interest in shooting it, but it's 'family'. I do have two Ruger MKII specials that I don't shoot. I have one in SS when I get the urge to shoot 22LR in an auto. I also have one of each type of action in the 22LR rifles, but I like to feel the push against my shoulder still. Except for the steyr-mannlicher.
Ouch.

ColtPythonElite
February 25, 2014, 11:09 PM
I have some unfired guns that are investments. I also have shooters just like them. If a shooter gets lost, stolen, or broken beyond repair, I would likely forgo any monetary gains, break out a unfired model and go to shootin'.

Manny
February 25, 2014, 11:11 PM
I've got several guns that haven't been fired yet, strictly due to lack of time and opportunity. I had the money to add several pieces but not the time to get out and enjoy them especially given the severe weather this winter. That will be rectified as the weather warms up as I don't believe in owning guns that don't have a purpose and don't get used.

ohioshooter
February 26, 2014, 10:13 AM
I'm like most that fall into the unintentional safe queen category. After you get so many and you can't make time to shoot them all, some end up staying it the safe but I have shot every gun that I own, just not as much as I wish I had time for. My most expensive ones I use for carry rather than sitting them in a safe.

bannockburn
February 26, 2014, 10:57 AM
I have a collection of guns but I'm not a collector as in keeping it nice and minty. Guns were meant to be used and I certainly adhere to that notion.

Arkansas Paul
February 26, 2014, 11:03 AM

I am.............well my budget is anyway.

There are a lot of firearms I would like to have from a collecting standpoint. I love the old west stuff. I would love to have old 1st gen Colt SAAs, Civil War era cap and ball revolvers, Winchester, Spencers etc. and I would not fire them if I did.

But, I have champagne tastes and a Busch Light budget so it will be a while before I can get any of those. :)

Agsalaska
February 26, 2014, 12:08 PM
98% of my guns are safe queens. In fact I am in my 30s and have no plans on buying another gun to shoot. I have my SD pistol and revolver, my deer rifle and my shotgun. But I buy guns all the time and rarely if ever sell them. I specifically buy guns with the intention of putting them in the safe so their value appreciates over time. I also only buy guns at what I consider below market value. Its actually pretty easy to do as long as you are not buying new guns.

When I die my grandkids are going to think I was the coolest person ever to die when they open my safes.

Arkansas Paul
February 26, 2014, 12:17 PM
^ Hopefully they'll shoot the snot out of them. :)

BELTFEDJASON
February 26, 2014, 12:20 PM
I have 2 M1's I received from the CMP around 2003. One is a field grade HRA 5,800,000 or so with a LMR 1955 barrel, that is my shooter. It was fairly used when I got it but is works great. Just looks like it was used. The other is a service grade Springfield 5,8000,000 or so with a 1955 Springfield barrel and a Winchester bolt all other parts being Springfield. Stock has cartouches which are correct. The rifle appears to be unissued or at least unfired. There are no rebuild stamps on the receiver legs, other than that I have no really good idea of its history. I was kind of disappointed when I received the Springfield in a way as I am a shooter not a collector. And this rifle just was too nice to shoot, at least that's what I thought for the last 10 years. I also have the HRA to shoot so I just shot that one. Last week we were talking and my friend asked what were my plans for that Springfield M1? I never really thought about it. He made the point that at most it is a $1000 rifle and he has seen me shoot rifles which cost way more than that a lot, a really lot. I am not saving it for an investment, I am not saving it for my children to get to shoot it first, So I have decided to shoot my only "Safe Queen", but I will wait till it warms up a bit, kind of cold in WI this weekend!

tarosean
February 26, 2014, 12:43 PM
When I die my grandkids are going to think I was the coolest person ever to die when they open my safes.

Or it will be straight to the pawn shop. Lack of interested heirs is one of my main reasons to sell off a lot. Course my 4yr old daughter brought a box of Legos into the living room the other day and asked me to help her build a gun. So there is hope

mavracer
February 26, 2014, 01:11 PM
If you're talking unfired NIB I have none, if you're talking LNIB that don't get shot often I have quite a few.

G'dale Mike
February 26, 2014, 01:11 PM
I have guns i shoot, but i also have several pristine pre 64's , unfired, that will remain that way. Hard to find "brand new" unfired 50 year old firearms. However, i definitely will be purchasing a few pre 64's that are nice, but have been used so i can have the pleasure of hunting over a classic firearm

gym
February 26, 2014, 04:41 PM
I personally never saw the allure of having a gun and not using it. May as well not have it. If I wanted to just look at it I would get a nice picture of a gun, and frame it. That goes with pretty much anything I own or possess. If someone spent their time on building a great gun, the least I can do is shoot it.
Maybe with coins or stamps that will be sold for a higher price if unmarked, but I don't look at guns that way. They were made to fulfill a purpose. The artist or builder wanted to make his gun better than other similar guns of that period, unless it's a one of a kind, that I purchased as an investment, it's getting fired.

buck460XVR
February 26, 2014, 04:50 PM
IMO, having a gun you don't shoot is like having a good bird dog you never take hunting. That said, I know lots of folks that compete in AKC shows with pointers that have never seen a gun, much less know what a Timberdoodle is. Different strokes for different folks. You money, your firearm, use it as you please and let others do the same.

CajunBass
February 26, 2014, 05:08 PM
I have at one time or other owned a lot of "safe queens." I don't think I've owned a gun that I NEVER shot, but I've owned a lot that I didn't shoot very often, and didn't intent to when I bought them.

So why buy them? Because I wanted them. The hunt for them was the fun part of it. Shooting them was incidental.

Then later, I sold them. That was almost as much fun as buying them was. I got to meet a lot of friends I didn't know I had. Might never see them again, but I count them as friends.

Ignition Override
February 27, 2014, 02:02 AM
Not at all immune.
The Service Grade Special M-1 bought Aug. 31st in Anniston qualifies. Have not tried it out. It's just too dang purdy to scratch up.
Yes, this is a hostage situation, with No FBI Negotiator.

A second Queen is an FR8 in excellent condition.
With only 600 rds. of reloadable ammo, the price of Nato 7.62 and comm. .308 is too high for plinking much with both FR8s.
The other FR8 might soon be in the WTS forum (west TN: FTF only).

bluekouki86
February 27, 2014, 02:11 AM
I've got an Ithaca Single Barrel Trap grade 5E (1929) that spends 99% of its life in the safe. I've also got a Winchester model 21 SxS that sees even less daylight. The only time I drag them out is to make the guys at Wednesday night trap shoot green with envy :D

With that being said, those guns are worth 5k-10k dollars each. Only a fool would purposely handle them much, because even putting them in the truck risks damage. That is why I have service guns, and collector/heirloom guns. Each has a purpose.

22-rimfire
February 28, 2014, 10:21 PM
I never considered a safe queen in the early firearm accumulation stage when every gun had a specific purpose. Some got shot a lot and some didn't, which is typical of my habits. Over time, my shooting habits shifted away from a hunting focus. Guns sat unused for years. I started selling some just because I had no particular connection to them any more. I kept the ones I liked.

Overtime, some acquisitions became somewhat desireable and my interests were fine tuned a bit. I saw the writing on the wall prior to things really becoming highly sought after and they corresponded with things I liked. I began buying not because they were potentially valuable, but because I liked them. I accumulated safe queens and they have remained unfired since I got them. Eventually they will get sold by me.

Legionnaire
February 28, 2014, 10:40 PM
This. Almost all my guns are "shooters," but I have enough at this point that they don't all get shot regularly. Guess that makes them "safe queens."

bender01
March 1, 2014, 09:16 PM
I like collecting things! My Father mid 60s is too and so was Gramps! Im in a spot now that Dads older friends are making sure things go to a good place not generally for $ gains. To be real I'm hoping to make some of these 1st and 2nd gen safe queens relay further down the line! Not saying they won't be shot unless known unfired! But folks with safe queens usually have plenty of cool stuff to shoot!

Russian Hammer
March 2, 2014, 12:37 AM
I have shot the majority of my guns. If I spend a few thousand on a new or non collectible gun, I'm going to shoot it. On the other hand if I spend that money on a gun just for collector value that may be devalued by shooting it will sit in the safe. I shoot and collect, lots of people seem to be one or the other

DSAPT9
March 2, 2014, 12:34 PM
I have to agree with many folks I have a number of guns I own that I do not shoot much but do not consider them safe queens. A couple of them where my fatherís that are well worn but still usable I just do not shoot them much.

I like many am a shooter and the firearms I get are meant to shoot and lovingly abuse so for this reason I have few with wood stocks and fine finishes most have poly stocks/frames and matt military type finishes.

loose noose
March 3, 2014, 05:10 PM
I own at least 76 different firearms, but at least everyone of them has been shot several times. Granted some of them do become a safe queen, but eventually they all will get shot again. I guess you could say I'm a collector of sorts.

wyohome
March 3, 2014, 05:24 PM
None of mine were bought for that purpose, but I have several that have not been fired for decades, some 30-30s that I have never loaded.

If you enjoyed reading about "Safe Queens" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!