aggrivated

PDA

javjacob
February 25, 2014, 02:34 PM
I am aggravated with all the closed threads on this site. dozens of threads closed for no good reason. what is the point of even being a member here when half of the threads get shut down for no reason? :banghead: just have to vent and am thinking about not coming back. we cant even discuss any topics because all of the threads get closed right away. what are we even allowed to talk about?

If you enjoyed reading about "aggrivated" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MtnCreek
February 25, 2014, 02:38 PM
I'm in before it's closed! :-)

javjacob
February 25, 2014, 02:47 PM
this topic has already been discussed... closed
there is nothing more to discuss... closed

shouldn't there have to be a real legit reason?

I mean come on, what topic hasn't already been discussed? who made anyone the all knowing of when there is nothing more to discuss? Its getting ridiculous and running good members away.

Davek1977
February 25, 2014, 02:47 PM
Rules are rules, and forums become chaos and unorganized without them. Can you point to a single thread that has been arbitrarily closed that was within the posting guidelines? I didn't think so......and aside from yourself, can you name a single individual who has "run away" because of the rules?

Walkalong
February 25, 2014, 02:50 PM
what are we even allowed to talk about?Guns, in a polite and respectable way. It's pretty simple.

javjacob
February 25, 2014, 02:58 PM
there are plenty of threads closed that everyone was discussing a topic in a polite and respectful way. that is what bothers me. this site is just so scared of making any anti gun people mad. I know we have to be polite and civil which most of us are but why should we scare away from any topic just because it might make a anti gun person mad? none of here are barbarians and we sure don't want the antis to see us that way and I know if they see us as barbarians it only hurts ourselves. but topics were made to discuss

Owen
February 25, 2014, 02:58 PM
javjacob,

Can you point to some specific closings that we can discuss?

Frank Ettin
February 25, 2014, 02:59 PM
First, it would better help us understand and consider your concerns if you had identified the particular threads you think were closed prematurely.

Second, perhaps the best approach to dealing with a thread you think was closed prematurely is to PM the moderator who closed it. A moderator will generally explain why he closed a particular thread and consider your reasonable arguments about why a thread should not have been closed.

9mmepiphany
February 25, 2014, 03:03 PM
I am aggravated with all the closed threads on this site. dozens of threads closed for no good reason. what is the point of even being a member here when half of the threads get shut down for no reason?
You might consider looking the threads, you are referring to, again and looking for a common thread of why they might have been closed. Don't look for why they should have stayed open, but look for why they shouldn't have stayed open.

That should give you the reason you seek

9mmepiphany
February 25, 2014, 03:14 PM
I know we have to be polite and civil which most of us are but why should we scare away from any topic just because it might make a anti gun person mad? none of here are barbarians and we sure don't want the antis to see us that way and I know if they see us as barbarians it only hurts ourselves. but topics were made to discuss
I'll allow for the fact that you might be posting from a mobile device and capitalization and punctuation might be difficult, but that doesn't explain how you are using words in a haphazard manner.

The phrases "why should we scare away from" and "none of here are" seem to be missing words.

In "topics were made to discuss", pre-supposes that topics can discuss anything ;)

You need to calm down, bring examples of your concerns and state your specific case for each thread.

Godsgunman
February 25, 2014, 04:10 PM
There comes a point where the discussion becomes redundant, or the discussion gets highjacked and taken off course, or quite frankly some (not many) become "pissing" matches between 1 or 2 members. Personally I think the mods do a good job of knowing when to shut'em down and usually gives a warning before such threads do get shut down. Like they have said you can always contact them and ask why one has been closed.

Arkansas Paul
February 25, 2014, 04:50 PM
The way this site is moderated is the main reason most of us frequent here as often as we do. Some forums get out of control and the experience is not pleasant. We like it just the way it is here.

And Frank is right. If you'll shoot a mod a PM they will likely be more than happy to give their point of view without you calling them out in public and coming off like a jerk. I don't think that is what you intended, but its how it seems.

Sam1911
February 25, 2014, 04:55 PM
Yup. Just ask someone a simple "why?" The Staff are all real, breathing human beings and every one will take the time to talk to you about your concerns.

In the end, though, if you really don't like it here, there are LOTS of other gun forums out there. We're certain one will be just right for you. Good luck!

Rusty Luck
February 25, 2014, 05:33 PM
In response to the closing threads I have a question for the Mods: Why do we(y'all) close some of the older threads that have to do with gun reviews or gun experiences? I've found myself using the search function less and less because the threads I'm looking for are locked and I can't ask the questions that I felt weren't answered clearly or concisely.

This is not meant disrespectfully or anything I'm just curious because it seems to create a lot of redundancy and clutter.

ugaarguy
February 25, 2014, 06:09 PM
Rusty, that's a valid question, there's nothing disrespectful about asking politely. :)

Often those older threads were started by members who haven't been active here in months or even years, or most of the discussion participants are likewise inactive. In those cases, it's best to start a new thread because the folks involved in the original discussion aren't here to respond.

You're always welcome to link to the old thread and start you new thread with something like "I found this thread about the Remchester 555 rifle (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=745149), but it didn't answer the following questions I have" or "I found this thread, and I have a Remchester 555. My experiences with it are different than what most had two years ago when the 555 was last discussed", etc.

Last, if you think an old thread should be reopened because the discussion can still continue without need of a new thread you can always send a PM to one of the moderators assigned to the forum where the thread resides. If we agree we'll reopen it, but if we don't we'll explain why and probably ask you start a new thread as above.

Rusty Luck
February 25, 2014, 06:37 PM
Thanks for your reply, and if IIRC a couple of threads were started by active members and the responses were from people I've seen around the site recently.

And the reason I said no disrespect was intended is because sometimes I feel that some members and mods get unnecessarily upset and assume that a comment was meant maliciously. Instead of assuming that the comment was just lost in the text translation since it takes away the ability for facial expressions and tone.

Sam1911
February 25, 2014, 06:50 PM
I think it would rather shock folks to know just how much time we spend privately, one-on-one, trying to sort out stuff like that and bring everyone back to the table as friends. But, sometimes folks just aren't that interested in being friendly.

Sam Cade
February 25, 2014, 06:56 PM
The Staff are all real, breathing human beings

You sure?

http://www.grolschfilmworks.com/media/uploads/images/they%20live%20sunglasses.jpg

:evil:

Sam1911
February 25, 2014, 07:02 PM
Having tipped a brew or shared a range with a few I can say I'm almost 99% certain. Or them's some great hallucinations! :D

Sam Cade
February 25, 2014, 07:22 PM
You gotta wear the glasses man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L86AAGZ9BBg

hso
February 25, 2014, 11:28 PM
javjacob,

If you're still around, please provide specifics so all of us know what your concern is.

Water-Man
February 26, 2014, 01:10 AM
He's probably gone now after he was told 'if you don't like it' etc..

javjacob
February 26, 2014, 01:43 AM
I sent a PM to moderator OWEN. I apologize if I came across as being a jerk. I was just irritated after coming across 5 or so threads that were closed that I wanted to post in. I know there are a good bunch of people here and I'm sure I can come to a understanding. I started this thread so other who might have the same questions I have can get some answers too.
I also had the same concern as rusty luck and that is a good enough reason for me ugaarguy. I have always just been reluctant to start a new thread about an old topic.

ugaarguy
February 26, 2014, 02:14 AM
Javjacob, I'm glad my answer has helped you. Don't hesitate to start a new thread if there are no open recent threads about whatever firearms related question or topic you have or want to discuss. Just keep it directly firearms related and family friendly.

Also, If one of us doesn't respond within 24 to 36 hours you may want to PM another moderator. Let the 2nd mod you PM know that you PMed the first mod and gave it a day or two but didn't get an answer. Sometimes we (individually) have work, family, or medical issues and may be away from the forum for a few days. In that case a PM to another mod is completely fine. We try our best, but we're fallible like every other human.

hartcreek
February 26, 2014, 02:22 AM
Five or so threads........I am a new member here and I see posts that I have to say to my self what the heck does that have to do with guns and why was it even allowed in the first place.

ugaarguy
February 26, 2014, 02:32 AM
hartcreek, If you look to left side of the post, under the user name, there's a white triangle with red outline. If you see something offensive or grossly off topic click that triangle to report the post to us. We don't see everything, and sometimes we'll miss things even when reading through threads. If we miss it or haven't seen it yet, the report post button is the easiest way to let us know. Sometimes we feel no action is necessary, but we do take a close look at everything that's reported.

Arkansas Paul
February 26, 2014, 10:14 AM
I apologize if I came across as being a jerk. I was just irritated after coming across 5 or so threads that were closed that I wanted to post in.

Many times threads are closed because they're so old the OP isn't paying it any attention any more.

If you have something to contribute to that topic, no one will fault you for starting a new thread about it. That will keep it current and you can see others' feedback on the topic as well. I think that's the best thing there. If it wasn't closed because of drifting way off topic or not being gun related, just start a new one and everyone can pick up the conversation again if they'd like.

FuzzyBunny
March 2, 2014, 12:39 AM
I have to add my 2 cents.

I have seen at least 5 threads that really grabbed my interest. As I read to the end and get ready to post I see the "closed" sign hung up. I do not recall the thread topics at the moment but all conversation was civil and calm and darned interesting. I was disappointed.

I'm not a paying subscriber so my opinion does not mean much but I have been at a loss to see why threads were closed. It would be nice if it had a note as to why it was closed.

Just an observation.

Frank Ettin
March 2, 2014, 12:51 AM
...It would be nice if it had a note as to why it was closed....Pretty much every thread I've seen closed has a moderator's closing note explaining the action. Even if the explanation isn't detailed or a member doesn't agree, the moderator closing the thread has been identified. A member can always PM the moderator for clarification.

...I have seen at least 5 threads that really grabbed my interest. As I read to the end and get ready to post I see the "closed" sign hung up. I do not recall the thread topics at the moment...If you can't identify the threads for us we can't be much help.

Owen
March 2, 2014, 01:03 PM
FuzzyBunny,

The other reason the threads may not seem to be off the rails, is because the moderators often delete entire swaths of posts,which are then invisible to you. In the past I have deleted almost half of the posts in a thread before closing it.

hso
March 2, 2014, 02:10 PM
I've deleted more than half in hopes of salvaging a thread, posted a warning to stay on topic and drop the partisanism and still had to close a thread when folks didn't think the note applied to them in their particular hatred/passion for someone/group/thing.

If you don't think a close is appropriate PM the Mod that closed it and you may find there's more in the background than apparent (or we're just nauseated by three .22lr rants a day).

FuzzyBunny
March 3, 2014, 02:07 PM
Removed posts, that explaines a lot.
Thanks for the response.

FB

javjacob
March 31, 2014, 01:39 PM
why was this thread closed?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=748359and

Sam Cade
March 31, 2014, 01:53 PM

The final post in the thread clearly states the reason for the closure.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=9416836&postcount=23

9mmepiphany
March 31, 2014, 02:54 PM

What is it about Franks closing statement that you thought wasn't clear?

Robert
March 31, 2014, 11:34 PM
I closed that thread, or tried to, because we've covered supply and demand a lot in the recent past. Economics is not really on topic for THR, and some people's willingness to convert to Marxism is more than a bit shocking.

Theohazard
April 1, 2014, 06:57 PM

The last two posts in that thread explain very clearly why it was closed. And I really like that about this forum: Do you have any idea how many threads just like that one have been posted in gun forums in the last 16 months? The mods here keep the threads on-topic and civil, which great enhances the forum experience in my opinion. And if they let threads like that one continue, we'd have a lot more pages of rambling threads where nothing even remotely new was being discussed. This isn't a free-for-all forum where anything goes; many of us have been to forums like that and it's why we prefer forums like this one.

javjacob
April 2, 2014, 02:11 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=748569

9mmepiphany
April 2, 2014, 02:18 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=748569
I thought the closing statement was pretty clear...what did you not understand about what was posted? :confused:

javjacob
April 2, 2014, 02:19 AM
those are not reasons, just excuses.

might as well close all threads since everything has been talked about at one point or another. no reason to even have this site running really.

Theohazard
April 2, 2014, 02:28 AM
those are not reasons, just excuses.

might as well close all threads since everything has been talked about at one point or another. no reason to even have this site running really.
Those of us who frequent these kinds of forums like the way the mods run things. We think it improves the overall quality of the forum. If you don't agree, then you're free to spend your time elsewhere.

ugaarguy
April 2, 2014, 02:51 AM
javjacob, We've been more than patient with you. You've been on THR for less than a year, and you really don't seem to like it here. You've whined about us not having a search bar, and then whined that it wasn't big enough when we pointed out that we already have one. You think the moderators are too up tight. You think we close too many threads. We give you reasons that we close threads and you say we're just giving you excuses. We aren't going to change our forum just to fit your wants. If you dislike THR so much please quit whining about it, man up, and go find another forum that's more to your liking.

Sam1911
April 2, 2014, 05:35 AM
And that's the most polite way of putting it.

We've never, EVER, tried to force someone to stay here. We promise not to fence you in. Fly, be free. Explore the internet and find the home that's just right for you.

If you enjoyed reading about "aggrivated" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!