Range report - Winchester 22WMR 40gr HP

PDA

herkyguy
February 26, 2014, 11:39 AM
Just a heads up, but I've been working my way through a few boxes of said ammo with about ten percent failing to fire. Of those, about ten percent will fire on the second loading. That's not the worst part.

I am shooting a newer Savage 93 which is stock just as I bought it. The gun is solid. The firing pin leaves a good solid indent.

Accuracy is just fine, but I did want to point out that yesterday I had a split case fail to extract. It took me some time with my knife to wrestle the case out and when I finally got it out, the case was split almost 3/4 of its length.

I assume Winchester is not reloading rim fire ammo so this was probably the cases first firing. So, for a case to split does this fall in line with the rest of the complaints against Winchester's quality control?

I've never seen a rim fire case split like that. Sorry I don't have a photo, but I tossed the case out of frustration. Has anyone else had this happen??

If you enjoyed reading about "Range report - Winchester 22WMR 40gr HP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nathan
February 26, 2014, 02:14 PM
Its been hard to find these ammo nowadays. Even the 17 HMR are getting too expensive like the price of centerfire hunting ammo.

heycods
February 26, 2014, 02:31 PM
I have a box of WW Super x 22s, wont cycle action on my 10 22, Gun is clean, replaced sid WWs with some 15 year old golden 22s, shoots fine, the WWs sound like a 22 short, I am thinking QC is nill at WW.

PJSprog
February 26, 2014, 03:02 PM
We've shot several boxes (both older and newer) of those 40gr HPs through both my Savage 93G and my wife's NAA revolver, and have yet to experience a failure. It could be your rifle, but considering the quality issues from Winchester these days, it's more likely the ammo. Sorry to hear that. We have a fair stockpile of those.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range report - Winchester 22WMR 40gr HP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!