sabot in revolvers

PDA

Joshua Seymour
February 26, 2014, 03:47 PM
I am interested in using a cast .309 160 slug with a sabot in my .44. Any comments/suggestions/concerns?

If you enjoyed reading about "sabot in revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 26, 2014, 03:56 PM
I don't know where you could get any .44/.30 cal. sabots.

I'm not aware of anyone making them.

rc

Joshua Seymour
February 26, 2014, 04:10 PM
I just looked around and cannot find any .44 sabot either. However, there was a company called Hi-Vel that made a .44 mag round that fired a .357 slug with a sabot.

BobWright
February 26, 2014, 04:16 PM
Why would you want to do that?

Half jacketed bullets were popular a few years back. Caution was urged to keep the velocity to the high side to prevent the jacket from shedding in the barrel and creating a bore obstruction. At moderate velocities, the friction holds the jacket while the lead "squirts" off down the barrel.

Bob Wright

Joshua Seymour
February 26, 2014, 04:18 PM
On a side note, MMP makes sabots for a .36 caliber muzzleloader. Those loaded with some 110 grain cast .309s would be awesome out of a .357, or possibly even in a 9mm

Joshua Seymour
February 26, 2014, 04:22 PM
BobWright, there is no particular need for it, other than just have fun. I carry an Enfield no. 2 revolver in my backpack while hunting. I typically use it to finish off a deer that my sister shoots with a .243. My current load is a cast 124gr 9mm slug at around 750 fps. Due to lack of penetration, I have, more then once, had to shoot twice into its head. as this is the smallest handgun I own, a sabot that allowed a .30 fmj or hard cast bullet to be fired would provide the needed penetration.

earplug
February 26, 2014, 04:42 PM
I don't think the rifling twist on your revolver is fast enough to stabilize a 160 grain 30 call. Most 30 cal rifles are 1 in 10.
Modern Tank cannon sabots launched projectiles are just big darts. You might consider that option.
T

Joshua Seymour
February 26, 2014, 04:46 PM
Good point earplug, my revolver is 1:20. Would a lighter weight bullet be required for this to work? Also, has anybody tried a sabot in anything other than a muzzleloader or shotgun?

rcmodel
February 26, 2014, 04:49 PM
http://www.eabco.com/remington-accelerator-sabots.html

http://www.jdcomponents.com/index.html

http://www.sabotreloadingpro.com/products

rc

Joshua Seymour
February 26, 2014, 04:54 PM
rcmodel, thanks for the links. unfortunately all ive found, including in your links, were .30/.22 sabots. However, I do have a .300 blackout that a .55 grain .223 would be awesome out of.

EDIT. I actually have a thread going about .300 blackout sabots http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=87981

earplug
February 26, 2014, 08:03 PM
For your needs and the cost of buying sabots and components, you might as well buy a different pistol.
Might even consider a big bore muzzle loader. cost is pretty low, and many places have limited regulations for obtaining one.
Several revolver models can be retrofitted with cartridge/center fire cylinders.

BobWright
February 26, 2014, 11:05 PM
As to sabots in other cartridges, remember the Remington Accelerator rounds of a few years back? These were .25 caliber (as I remember) bullets loaded in .30-30 cartridges. The idea was to make a varmint rifle out of a Marlin lever action.

They were very highly effective, but as I recall were withdrawn because hunters used these, illegally, for deer hunting.

Bob Wright

Swampman
February 26, 2014, 11:56 PM
Try a hard cast round ball, it should have plenty of velocity and penetration for finishing shots.

I haven't actually run it through the Greenhill formula, but I'm fairly certain a 1/20" twist won't stabilize a 160 gr. cast .309 bullet, even if you could get sabots for it.

Even the short 110 grain .30 Carbine bullet used a 1/18" twist.

@ BobWright
I'm fairly certain the old "Accelerators" were all 55 grain .224 bullets. I've never heard any reason given for discontinuing them, other than poor sales.

They'd be legal for deer in Texas. In other states that I'm familiar with, limitations are set on bore size, not caliber of projectile, so unless specifically prohibited, they'd be legal.

If you enjoyed reading about "sabot in revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!