What do you call these doodads?


February 26, 2014, 07:08 PM
I have a really dumb question. What would you call these thingies that you put blue on with? And after that, where would you buy some. I've got plenty of blue, and really like using these little things, but have no idea what you'd call these. Thanks. (or if you have a suggestion for something else that's better, let me know)


If you enjoyed reading about "What do you call these doodads?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
February 26, 2014, 07:16 PM
Swauber Applicators


February 26, 2014, 07:16 PM


February 26, 2014, 07:16 PM
I would go with "small chemical mop". When that fails I would go with whatchamacallit doohickey or doomaflotchie

Larry Ashcraft
February 26, 2014, 07:17 PM

If you're just doing touch up, Q-tips work fine.

February 26, 2014, 07:21 PM
and paint supply stores, hardware, etc. They have paint daubers (my term) that are little wooden handles with a dark styrofoam like end like you show in the photo. They are very, very inexpensive and would be much smarter than spending a lot of money at a place like Brownell's in my opinion. I like Brownell's but you do not have to pay their specialty prices for something you can obtain much more cheaply at a local store. Like .49 cents each or such.

February 26, 2014, 07:28 PM
Dauber is a valid name for those. Here's some found in a Google search.

Click on the image for the link.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXi6mqfa6k0g6Y2IxnZ5gMsD1X-gAgdDGUq83bM7bj20YtdEvDLJNQyacWaliTX21E4q_iZgtg&usqp=CAY (https://www.google.com/shopping/product/276091701657114905?q=daubers&newwindow=1&espv=210&es_sm=93&biw=1715&bih=1167&ei=iIUOU8aWKsvcoASa0YCgAw&ved=0CKQDEKYrMBk)

February 26, 2014, 09:55 PM
If there is a Tandy Leather Store close to you, you can get them there also.


February 26, 2014, 09:59 PM
I don't feel quite so bad after seeing they are called dauber or swauber- thanks all.

February 27, 2014, 12:02 AM
Get some cheapo locking hemostats. They have them in the fly fishing gear, at the drug store, or any of your medical friends probably have a drawer full.

Clamp them to a cotton ball and you can basically have an unlimited supply for the cost of a big bag of cotton balls.


February 27, 2014, 01:53 AM
Not long ago I needed to touch up some bluing on a shotgun after some minor work. I found myself without those handy little swabs you were asking about. Luckily I found a great bluing applicator with a nice handle around the house (much to my wife's dismay). Not proud, but it worked in a pinch:o

Edit: I'm sorry if this was seen as inappropriate, I was trying to be productive and contribute an experience and how it was solved. In my eyes it was on topic, and not used in an offensive manner.. I'll try to not let it happen again.

February 27, 2014, 07:04 AM
Like Q-Tips, the standard cotton ball found in the local stores can also get the job done.

bluekouki86 - I'm sure the wife will be just as pleased that you shared that tip with us . ;)

February 27, 2014, 08:58 AM
Not proud, but it worked in a pinch

:what::what::what: maybe these things would be useful in a bug out bag.:rolleyes:

February 27, 2014, 09:32 AM
I call them dye applicators

Click here please (http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/liquids-n/43081-000.aspx),,,



February 27, 2014, 09:36 AM
Cotton ball on a stick.

February 27, 2014, 10:04 AM
Swab the deck, ye maggots!

February 27, 2014, 10:08 AM
"Swauber" is a Birchwood Casey trademarked name from what I see. Which explains why I never heard of it before.


February 27, 2014, 02:51 PM
Dye daubers,( bore daubers, ) for administering fluids evenly without saturating. For dying fabric shoes etc. wooly balls on the end of metal handles with looped ends for hanging while still wet. Tandy leather or Lieber standard findings.

Shanghai McCoy
February 27, 2014, 11:08 PM
Make sure what you are using is cotton. The non-cotton material does not seem to work as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you call these doodads?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!