inexpensive Handgun

PDA

Fat Boy
February 26, 2014, 08:36 PM
Here I am again, the guy trying to figure it all out. I am trying to find the best handgun for all purposes, at the most inexpensive cost, that is utterly reliable and durable. Primary purpose is CCW. I have been reading lately about Canik guns and also wonder about Citadel 1911,s. I like the 1911 guns but can't afford most of them. But I want reliability. If you would, please provide experience, thoughts, advice on Caniks and Citadels and any other less-costly guns. Thank you!

If you enjoyed reading about "inexpensive Handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
velojym
February 26, 2014, 08:45 PM
So, about what is your price range there?

460Kodiak
February 26, 2014, 08:52 PM
Sp101

Stevel
February 26, 2014, 08:53 PM
Ruger P95's. Inexpensive new and used, Very reliable. Accurate.

Only downside is they are a bit bulky.

utbrowningman
February 26, 2014, 09:32 PM
Kahr CW series. Cheap and utterly reliable, at least mine has been.

Vol46
February 26, 2014, 09:43 PM
Taurus made a clone of the Beretta 92 compact back n the 90's - absolutely reliable and a pretty good shooter. 9mm, 13 round mags, pretty inexpensive if you can find a used one. A very nice all purpose pistol.

ColtPythonElite
February 26, 2014, 09:46 PM
Police trade-in Glock 23.

WestKentucky
February 26, 2014, 09:51 PM
My 2cents...don't buy based on price. Buy based on how it feels. Hold as many as you can and when you pick the right one up it will tell you it's ready to go home. Think about it this way, if you shoot one box of ammo a month (not much) in a year you will put 600 rds through it. Add to that carrying it each and every day. So what if you need to save a little longer. Find the right gun, and buy it.

jrdolall
February 26, 2014, 09:55 PM
"Utterly reliable" is a big request. I have Hi Points that are utterly reliable but I don't know that I would want to carry them because they are HUGE.
I have a Diamondback DB-9 that has been 100% reliable with everything I have fed it but lots of people will tell you not to buy one.
I have a 1911 that won't reliably feed HP ammo of any kind but is reliable with FMJ.
I have a Ruger P-85 that is the most finicky gun I have ever seen and they are generally considered to be very reliable.
The list goes on and on. Shield, Smith, Kahr, Kel Tec, Ruger, Makarovs, Taurus,Browning,etc. Colt and Smith revolvers. More autos than I can recall off the top of my head. Big, small and in between.

I'm still looking for the perfect pistol. I can't even figure out the perfect caliber.

tarosean
February 26, 2014, 10:01 PM
Utterly reliable and cheap. My vote would be for a S&W Model 19 revolver.

I personally would stay away from off brands like you mentioned.

franzas
February 26, 2014, 10:19 PM
Rock Island 1911 .45- $500 ish
SA GI 1911 .45- $500-600
Ex Police G23 .40- $350-400
Ex Police M64 .38- $300-350

beeenbag
February 26, 2014, 10:22 PM
Ruger sr compact.

Fat Boy
February 26, 2014, 10:38 PM
My price range is $400 to $450

Deaf Smith
February 26, 2014, 10:43 PM
For $400 to $450 I'd say:

Glock 3gen used sub-compact. 9mm being the easiest and least costly to shoot.

They can be had at pawn shops for that price.

I've used them for years in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .357 Sig.

Outstandingly reliable, rugged, and accurate.

They will do to ride the river with.

Deaf

Kuyong_Chuin
February 27, 2014, 12:15 AM
My price range is $400 to $450
You can get a compact Rock Island Armory 1911 @ cheaper than dirt for $410 New. You might be able to find them even cheaper elsewhere. Side note if you get a 1911 in 9mm or 38 Super with the 5 inch barrel, J&G sales has a conversion kit so you can fire the 7.62x25 Tokarev round out of the 1911. You can also get a 22LR conversion kit for them too giving you basically three guns in one.

stompah
February 27, 2014, 12:31 AM
Used XD9. Pick from subcompact, service and tactical sizes to suit your needs.

zerobarrier
February 27, 2014, 12:51 AM
How inexpensive are you talking? Each person defines that differently. Me I would say a cheap pistol would be $400-$600, for that you can get a glock or a springfield xds. Personally I don't like the way the glock looks but they are very dependable and well built, plus easy to maintain. I like the springfields, they come with holster, 3 mags, and double mag holder. I have a XD-M.

bdb benzino
February 27, 2014, 01:36 AM
To answer about the two guns you actually asked about, yes both the Canik and Citadel 1911 are reliable and good guns. I have the Canik C100 right now and it is light, shoots well, and has never had a malfunction. I don't own a Citadel 1911, but own a Rock Island Arms 1911 which is made by the same company that makes Citadel, Armscor. It is also a great reliable pistol.
IMHO you can't go wrong with either of those pistols, good luck with your choice!

Skribs
February 27, 2014, 01:37 AM
Just curious, but when you say "all purposes", do you mean...

CCW
Home defense
Woods defense (i.e. "bear defense")
Target shooting
Action competition

Or just some of those?

BillBloggins
February 27, 2014, 01:52 AM
Although a little over the budget you laid out, I bought a Glock 30s today for CCW. I gave a ton of thought to the most effective concealed gun choice I could make that would be good for many years to come. This .45 ACP, 10 round, Glock tried-and-tested durable, rock reliable little doodlebug made the top of the list.

ArchAngelCD
February 27, 2014, 02:07 AM
When I think CCW the words cheap gun DO NOT come to mind. There are times you can cut corners but your carry handgun is not one of them. Sorry that's not what you want to hear but it's true.

The above suggestions for a used Glock are good ones since a Glock is usually extremely reliable. I'm a revolver guy so I carry a J frame daily. Nothing wrong with a used S&W J frame either.

4season
February 27, 2014, 04:32 AM
You want cheep, reliable, and durable right? Then get a Makarov. While there are better guns out there for power and weight very few can claim anywhere near the reliability of the Makarov. Underpowered for its size and weight, yes, but how many guns can be found for under $300 that will eat any ammo you want to run?

allin
February 27, 2014, 05:26 AM
Hi
No offense, but I have a question. I own and shoot a Taurus PT92, great gun, one of my favorites. More accurate that I am, dependable, eats everything I put through it, hasall the features I like. My question is this. If I read it correct the original poster here said primary purpose would be CCW. I have about 12 or 14 various handguns, the PT92 due to it's size I think it and maybe my 6" inch 357 revolver would be one of my last choices for ccw. what am I missing here?
Thanks

WC145
February 27, 2014, 05:44 AM
I agree with tarosean, a 4" K frame S&W .357mag is a quality weapon and as versatile and reliable a handgun as you'll find. Nice examples can be found in your price range if you shop around.

RetiredUSNChief
February 27, 2014, 05:45 AM
Here I am again, the guy trying to figure it all out. I am trying to find the best handgun for all purposes, at the most inexpensive cost, that is utterly reliable and durable. Primary purpose is CCW. I have been reading lately about Canik guns and also wonder about Citadel 1911,s. I like the 1911 guns but can't afford most of them. But I want reliability. If you would, please provide experience, thoughts, advice on Caniks and Citadels and any other less-costly guns. Thank you!

"I am trying to find the best handgun for all purposes, at the most inexpensive cost, that is utterly reliable and durable."

So, you want the unicorn of handguns, huh?

You aren't going to find a "best handgun for all purposes", much less all your other criteria. No such a critter, outside of the movies.

That's almost akin to asking "I want the best tool for all purposes..."

A better way to go about choosing a handgun is to start with what you want to use it for. THEN you can start down the path towards figuring out what to get.

And don't go about this like a kid in a toy store: "I want this and this and this and this and this..."

Pllinking/target shooting? Competition shooting? Personal defense? Home defense? Hunting? Collector's item? Something else?

StrawHat
February 27, 2014, 07:26 AM
If you are looking for a medium caliber, S&W M15, the 4" barrel is about perfect, easily concealed and delivers the performace needed in a 38 Special.

Larger caliber? S&W M25-2 (or variation), with a 4" barrel, my personal choice for the everyday piece. 45 ACP, enough said.

There are longer and shorter barrels available but the 4" is the standard for most cartridges, and ease of carry.

JTQ
February 27, 2014, 07:36 AM
In the $400 - $500 range, I'd buy from one of the big names and with a good warrantee reputation. I'd not get a Canik or Citadel.

Ruger P95 (out of production, but still available), Ruger SR9, S&W SD or M&P, any Glock, Springfield XD all would fit your requirements.

bannockburn
February 27, 2014, 07:50 AM
With that price range I would be looking at a new RIA M1911 or else a used Third Generation S&W semi-auto.

Midwest
February 27, 2014, 08:13 AM
Hi Point is Cheap and Reliable. The .45 acp is a good shooter and never jams. If you have $300 to $400 then get a .38 special revolver. A little more would get you a Glock 9mm.

hi-tower
February 27, 2014, 09:05 AM
To answer the OP on the guns he asked about. I have 2 Canik 55 TP-9's. They both work great and for about $320 have the fit and finish of much more expensive guns. They come with many extras and (I think) look great. Hold 18 + 1. Now the one thing they might not be is a good cary gun and they are a bit large for conceal (I know that is subjective). Not sure if you need/want that or not. But as for the gun it is great. I do not have any 1911's so I can not say about those but the Canik is about the same size.

Tomac
February 27, 2014, 09:08 AM
SIG SP2022.
Tomac

jrdolall
February 27, 2014, 09:15 AM
In that budget range and I could only get one gun I would probably go for a Makarov because they are steel and tend to be very dependable. Russians can be found on GB in that price range and you can buy a "Makarov style" gun for quite a bit less. There are plenty of USED guns that fit your budget but it's a buyer beware situation if you are going to rely on this as your ONLY gun. EVERY Makarov I own is absolutely reliable which is why I recommend them. A used revolver is also a good deal and buying a .357 allows you to practice with 38 ammo.
The problem with many used guns is that they were traded in for a reason and often that reason is that the owner had problems with it. Not always of course but I have purchased several used pistols over the years that had issues and required time and money to resolve. I wouldn't want you to buy a gun that you had to depend on and then run into problems.

One thing I always try to point out in these threads is the cost of ammunition. Lately the availability of ammunition has come into play as well but I will assume that it will eventually get back to "normal", whatever normal is. If your budget is $400 then you must factor in some ammo because none of my guns shoot well when empty and you need to practice if you are going to carry.

Makarov (9x18)FMJ can be purchased online for about $.34 per round delivered if you only want to buy one or two boxes. HP is about $1 per round. Most LGS carry some but it's not a big item for them so I buy most of mine online. I did pick up 150 reloads from a local guy this week for $.40 per round.
9mm (9x19) can be purchased locally for about $.30 and a bit cheaper online. It is probably the cheapest ammo available. HP generally runs around $1 per round as well but can be found cheaper.
.38 can be had for about $.38 per round online TODAY but is normally a bit cheaper.
.45 is about the same in today's market. I haven't bought much of these two calibers lately so don't know the local prices.
.380 runs about $.45 per round when you can find it.

endebt
February 27, 2014, 10:53 AM
Why is it every new owner of guns want a cheep gun for ccw. My life is worth every thing I can spend on a good gun and then some. I want the best I can buy and shot well. I am 68 yrs old and carry a 380 Bersa. I shoot every day. I feel sorry for the guy I go up aginst. Gun shots good and I can handle it. Buy what fits, feels good and you can shot. You may need to save some ones life you really love. just my 2 cents.

wdunlap
February 27, 2014, 11:02 AM
There are a lot of options in that range. Ones that I have direct experience with, or own, and are sized well for CC are:
Ruger SR9c or SR40c
Ruger LC9
Taurus Millenium Pro Series 9, 40, 45
Taurus TCP 380
Bersa Thunder 380
J frame sized revolvers are always a great option.

My Taurus Pt140 MilPro is my favorite, but the little TCP is carried more often because it is just so easy to conceal well.

JWH321
February 27, 2014, 11:11 AM
Or a Smith & Wesson 637-2 revolver in .38 Spcl. Completely reliable, accurate, small, easy to carry, and available almost everywhere for ~$300.

Skribs
February 27, 2014, 11:31 AM
endebt, not everyone has thousands of dollars to throw at a firearm. IMO a firearm is less important than shelter, food, communications, etc.

Doug S
February 27, 2014, 12:40 PM
In my experience you have to get up to the $475-500 range of Glock, S&W, Ruger to find a good balance of reliability and durability. IMO $475 for a new Glock is about as good as you are going to find.

endebt
February 27, 2014, 04:44 PM
yes I own a ranch and have worked all my life and save a little I spent 20 yrs in the service and did my time in the nam. So I enjoy shooting. I don't drink or smoke.So I enjoy shooting. I know my guns and where the bullet is going to hit. I build AR-15s and have a 950yd range here at the ranch. So you see I have worked for this. I am sorry Skribs that u don't like what I do,but it is sure fun to read some of these post.

Vol46
February 27, 2014, 05:07 PM
Hi
No offense, but I have a question. I own and shoot a Taurus PT92, great gun, one of my favorites. More accurate that I am, dependable, eats everything I put through it, hasall the features I like. My question is this. If I read it correct the original poster here said primary purpose would be CCW. I have about 12 or 14 various handguns, the PT92 due to it's size I think it and maybe my 6" inch 357 revolver would be one of my last choices for ccw. what am I missing here?
Thanks

Back in the 90s ( and maybe for a while before that) Taurus, and Beretta, made a compact version of the 92. A number of law enforcement agencies used them, & used or surplus LEO versions will occasionally show up on firearms sales sites.

They are a few inches shorter in barrel length and height than the 92, hold 13 rounds vs. 17, but are just as reliable. They are not pocket pistols, but are small enough to conceal reasonably well.

EdJennings
February 27, 2014, 07:02 PM
Any of the S&W third generation autos. 5906, 4006, 6906, etc. they come in many different flavors. DA/SA and DAO. Both the 9' and 40s can be found in your price range. Very durable, reliable, and accurate. Plenty of mags available for most models. They are a bit heavy, but pleasant to shoot. Check any pawn shop. The 45's and 10mm models are bigger ad more expensive.

Fat Boy
February 27, 2014, 07:36 PM
I guess I wasn't entirely clear in my OP, so for the record; I am about six months shy of finishing 60 years on this earth. I have shot multiple firearms over the years, and have owned and traded a few guns here and there.
I was simply asking for thoughts on new production, comparatively inexpensive guns that could be expected to perform as designed and last for several years, and having read about the Canik guns, and having been able to shoot 1911 handguns with good accuracy I was focused on those two
I appreciate All the thoughts and ideas

WC145
February 27, 2014, 10:43 PM
Why is it every new owner of guns want a cheep gun for ccw. My life is worth every thing I can spend on a good gun and then some. I want the best I can buy and shot well. I am 68 yrs old and carry a 380 Bersa. I shoot every day. I feel sorry for the guy I go up aginst. Gun shots good and I can handle it. Buy what fits, feels good and you can shot. You may need to save some ones life you really love. just my 2 cents.
Are you seriously talking (typing?) smack about people buying cheap guns while telling us you carry a Bersa .380? Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

triplebike
February 27, 2014, 11:02 PM
Fatboy, I own RIA 1911 in 9MM & .45. Both are outstanding & both have been flawless in their operation (well over 1000 rds through the 9 & 350 through the 45). I do not carry either, to big, to heavy.

My carry, home defense & if I wanted it to be, a range toy is the 9mm CZ P07. This gun is one of the biggest "sleeper's" out there. (IMHO) 449 NIB.

I can't believe nobody has suggested it yet.

JRH6856
February 27, 2014, 11:28 PM
One of the following statements does not logically belong with the other two:

A. My life is worth every thing I can spend on a good gun and then some.

B, I want the best I can buy.

C. I carry a 380 Bersa.

Not knocking a Bersa .380, but A and B does not bring one to mind.

Kiln
February 28, 2014, 12:20 AM
The Canik pistols, which are imported by Tristar, have tons of positive reviews.

I own the C100 and am buying one of their full sized models tomorrow. They're light, reliable, and the fit/finish are excellent. They're made to military specs in Turkey and are a great value at around $350.

I wrote up my impressions a while back on this forum if you want to search my thread creation history. They are very good guns for the money and like I said, I'm buying another tomorrow. They're relatively unknown but I don't expect them to stay that way for too long. In a few years they'll probably be $400+.

Skribs
February 28, 2014, 01:11 AM
yes I own a ranch and have worked all my life and save a little I spent 20 yrs in the service and did my time in the nam. So I enjoy shooting. I don't drink or smoke.So I enjoy shooting. I know my guns and where the bullet is going to hit. I build AR-15s and have a 950yd range here at the ranch. So you see I have worked for this. I am sorry Skribs that u don't like what I do,but it is sure fun to read some of these post.

I never said I don't like what you do. I merely pointed out that not everyone has the budget to buy something that costs more than $400 or $500. Some people (like myself) net very little once you factor in the basics needed for survival. For these people, getting a firearm that isn't "cheap" could be months or years away. Saying they shouldn't get a cheap handgun is like saying "you are too poor to get something good" or "you must save up for a long time to buy something for self defense."

Now, I don't know the OP's situation, and I understand that you get what you pay for. I also know that a $195 Hi-Point or a $350 used pistol will probably work just as well as that $700 sig with custom sights for most purposes, and is a lot more available to someone on a limited budget.

endebt
February 28, 2014, 09:39 AM
I carry the Bersa because I can control it. Over the years I have carried 1911, Glock's, S&W's,Colt"s. Now I am getting long in the tooth and not able to control any thing bigger. It all boils down to 2 Shot between the eyes and it is over. I don't care if it is a 22LR bullet placement is the name of the game. That takes practice.

Drail
February 28, 2014, 10:34 AM
Excellent post Chief. It's not like buying a cell phone or a computer. It's the most important tool you'll ever buy. It absolutely positively HAS to work - first time every time. Just like a parachute.

Coyote3855
February 28, 2014, 11:18 AM
For absolute reliability, I second the poster who suggested a Makarov.

tiamat
February 28, 2014, 12:19 PM
SIG SP2022.

This.

or else a used Third Generation S&W semi-auto.

or This.

But, it sounds like you already know what you want, which is a 1911.

HellTrain
February 28, 2014, 12:36 PM
Glock- inexpensive, a lot of used ones out there, has years of proven reliability, the ak of handguns

WC145
February 28, 2014, 01:31 PM
I carry the Bersa because I can control it. Over the years I have carried 1911, Glock's, S&W's,Colt"s. Now I am getting long in the tooth and not able to control any thing bigger. It all boils down to 2 Shot between the eyes and it is over. I don't care if it is a 22LR bullet placement is the name of the game. That takes practice.
That's a caliber issue, not a brand issue. Don't be a cheap gun snob, giving the OP grief for wanting an inexpensive weapon while you yourself carry one with a reputation for being a low buck option.

In fact, given his question and the brand's price points, I'd think you would be recommending a Bersa if yours is that good.

Racinbob
February 28, 2014, 06:28 PM
I don't usually recommend most low priced firearms to folks or one of my students that ask me. But I do think SCCY deserves a very hard look. I toured their plant this past week and talked to the owner. Even more importantly than the impressive machinery they have is his approach to reducing costs while still putting out a reliable firearm. Needless to say I was very impressed.

savit260
February 28, 2014, 08:27 PM
Used S&W model 10 or a used mid size Glock . Everything you need, and nothing you don't.

Small enough to carry. Big enough to shoot at the range with comfort. About as reliable as anyone could ever expect,, and shoots common and available rounds.

These are well within the price range listed, and any gunsmith will be familiar with them should anything ever go wrong with them.

Mike J
March 1, 2014, 08:21 AM
I don't have any experience with the Canik guns or the Citadel, RIA 1911's but everything I see posted about them is positive. I believe you would be fine with either one. There are other options in your price range though. It really all comes down to what you want. To me there is a difference between cheap guns & inexpensive ones.

george29
March 1, 2014, 10:01 PM
If money is very tight then my suggestion is a S&W M10 from a pawn shop. Probably in the $200 range. I would want a proven design and something with milspec (loose) tolerances. I hear Bersa's are reliable. Perhaps a CZ 82 from J&G or similar vendor. I wouldn't get something from an unproven manufacturer just because it's new.

km101
March 1, 2014, 11:06 PM
I had a Citadel 1911 Compact 3.5" .45acp. They are made by Rock Island and I trusted the RI reputation. I don't know if it is just the compact version, or if I got a lemon or what the problem was, but my gun would not run 2 mags back to back without a jam.

It would jam with JHP, FMJ, LRN, factory ammo, reloads, in short everything I tried. I tried different mags, and other shooters. Same story, so I sent it back, they kept it 3 weeks and returned it. Same problems. It now has a new owner.

This was the only Citadel or RI handgun that I've owned, so my experience is limited.

788Ham
March 1, 2014, 11:19 PM
Like post #54 mentioned, a S&W mod. 10, a fine revolver, don't look away from these. As had been mentioned earlier, look at pawns for an honest priced, good, reliable revolver. They are out there if you look, I was lucky when I happened onto a Colt Trooper 4" .38 Spl in a pawn, I gave $325 OTD for it, still had the original box, carried a lot, not shot much.

hartcreek
March 1, 2014, 11:23 PM
Two of my daily caries top breaks .38 S&W Herington & Richardson got for $100 and another Ivar Johnson $150.

5-SHOTS
March 2, 2014, 10:08 AM
S&W SD9 and a good amount of ammo.

trigga
March 2, 2014, 11:55 PM
my cousin had a Citadel 1911. good gun for the most part but he traded it in for an old remington 7400. the gun only had 100 rounds through it. I thought about buying it from him but I like higher end 1911s like kimber and such. too bad i never got a chance to shoot it. honestly i would just add a little more and get glock.

for that price:
taurus millenium pro 9mm
ruger sr9c
ruger p95
keltec pf9
keltec p11
bersa thunder series

you kind of have to decide what kind of caliber you feel comfortable carrying and shoot well with. Try to go to a range and rent a potential gun you're interested in. just cause you like the look and feel, doesn't mean you will like it overall. example i recently bought a 92fs. i've always wanted one but never held or shot one. When I took it to the range, i notice I kept engaging the slide mounted safety and the trigger was some getting use to... there was things i discovered i didn't like immediately after i shot it. Other than that i shoot it a lot better than any of my glocks.

Rusty Luck
March 3, 2014, 12:47 AM
Ruger SR9/SR9c
Springfield XD9S/XD9SC
Police trade in Glock

krupparms
March 3, 2014, 01:17 AM
Another vote for the S&W, SD 9 or SD 40. These are great pistols and the savings will get you night sights, extra magazines & ammunition.

powder
March 3, 2014, 10:47 AM
You want a used Glock 19. So dependable they're boring...

benzy2
March 3, 2014, 11:18 AM
I would find a lightly used Glock, M&P, or XD in the size and caliber you prefer.

I like 1911's but a budget minded option cuts corners. You may get a great one or you may not. If you deviate from the original spec (which most everybody today does in some way), you get into finicky issues. I'd pass for a primary firearm. If its a second or third option, get one, but I wouldn't make a budget 1911 my one and only pistol.

You can grab a few used revolvers in that range as well which are a great value. I would look for lightly used in either Ruger or S&W for a wheel gun.

When it comes to auto loaders, the Glock, M&P, and XD all are great options. Some prefer one to another but that is a pick for you to make. I like them all, you're pretty sure to get a good one new or used, and if an issue does pop up, they are simple to part swap at home or are covered by good companies for factory work. There are cheaper options but I think you get the most for your money from one of these three, new or used. Plus, if you want to tinker, they all have a large aftermarket support to adjust anything you desire. Its a very flexible option. You will have a wide range of holsters available too. Popularity has benefits in the firearm world.

ldlfh7
March 3, 2014, 11:40 AM
S&W sigma's are pretty accurate and dependable. The newer ones don't have as bad of a trigger as the old ones did. I have fired thousands of rounds and it seems to be as reliable as my glocks are and about half the price.

TfflHndn
March 7, 2014, 03:50 PM
From personal experience I can recommend the Stoeger Cougar in 9mm or .40, each can be found for under $400. They are a Beretta with a much lower price, and eat everything I put into them. Reliable, durable and fit my hand well. If the all-metal weight is too much, then the Ruger SR9C is another that I have found to be completely reliable at a lighter weight. I also own a compact Citadel 1911 which has been reliable for me, and the only reason I do not carry it more is the very mediocre all-black sights. I plan to update them so it can be carried and used in low-light situations. It's a superb shooter.

SDGlock23
March 7, 2014, 04:07 PM
Find a good used Glock 23 or G19, best do it all size guns on the market.

Armor Snail
March 7, 2014, 04:40 PM
Can't go wrong with a Canik or a Sar(if you like plastic).
Forget the Citadel. Check out Tisas and Girsan. Basic Tisas 1911 is $399. Upgrade it as you see fit over time. The Turkish 1911s are built better than the Philippine ones and as someone else said. The prices will rise.

aarondhgraham
March 7, 2014, 05:50 PM
Utterly reliable?,,,
Get yourself a revolver,,,
Then make sure you get a S&W or Ruger.

One thing is almost certain,,,
You won't get it right the first time. ;)

But if you can afford it,,,
Go to a range that rents handguns,,,
Spending a $100.00 bill on rent and ammo,,,
That can save you from buying the wrong $400.00 handgun.

Any time you ask in a forum for the "best" of anything,,,
You may get some reasoned informative responses,,,
Mostly what you will get is each posters favorite.

That's not necessarily a bad thing,,,
But the term "best" is simply too subjective.

Handle as many guns as you can,,,
Find out where the safety switch is at,,,
Make sure you can reach it and the mag release.

After you do that you can start the process all over again,,,
Selecting the proper holster you will be happy with,,,
That's just as involved as choosing the gun. :banghead:

Good luck and don't get in too much of a hurry.

Aarond

txblackout
March 7, 2014, 07:05 PM
If you join the GSSF for two years (around $70) you immediately get a coupon for 1 gun at the discounted price. Around 400 for a gen 3.

The next year you can buy another one at the discounted price.

sixgunner455
March 7, 2014, 11:04 PM
Used Beretta 92FS, J&G Sales, $399 or so.
S&W SD9.
Makarov.
Bersa .380.
Kahr CW9.
S&W 5906, 6906, 3913, etc- any third gen.

Got a CZ75 for $329, barely used. Once upon a time, any Airweight Jframe S&W .38 went for about that much. Go shopping!

EMT40SW
March 8, 2014, 03:25 PM
Glock & like txblackout said join GSSF & you can get a Glock at cost which is $399 for a Glock 19, 23, or 26 ect with three hicap mags. Super deal & if you decide it is not for you then sell it & make $50 off thatvdeal. Its a win win.

http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf

http://www.gssfonline.com

Pointshoot
March 8, 2014, 03:33 PM
Here's my 2 cents - - - 'cheap' and '1911' don't go together when it comes to a reliable CCW handgun.
A gun for fun at the range is another matter.

For a reliable pistol as you described, do some research on Glocks.

The OP didn't give any more details on his preferences (caliber, etc) so can't really say much more.

TAKtical
March 8, 2014, 03:44 PM
S&W M&P Shield

If you enjoyed reading about "inexpensive Handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!