Lock this one too

PDA

model4006
February 27, 2014, 10:35 AM
It seems like every thread I start anymore just gets locked, I even read the "news articles that are slightly gun related" sticky and I'm pretty sure getting punched by a moose (whether or not you deserved it for being stupid) counts as a self defense situation.

I guess maybe this road is just a little too high for me, it seems this forum wants to stick to "what are these cotton swabby things called" and "how do you store your magazines" and not discuss anything controversial.

Oh well, I'll stop back when I'm 60 and want to talk about the good old days when people took guns to school for projects.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lock this one too" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
February 27, 2014, 10:40 AM
The fun thing about the internet is that it's anonymous and completely NOT personal. No need to be a drama queen when it's actually not about you, never was, and never will be.

If this place isn't for you - that's OK. Go find one that is. :)

But it's not personal. It's the Internet, dude.

The-Reaver
February 27, 2014, 10:41 AM
Right on bro, you do you.

Sam1911
February 27, 2014, 10:50 AM
Sorry you feel that way. (Though you could have spoken to me personally about it before you vented on the public forum.)

We don't ever try to hold someone here who does not enjoy or appreciate what this place is, and does. There are lots and lots of gun forums out there, and some of them do host much broader types of topics than we do here, and have no problem reveling in the negative and tragic aspects of gun use.

You may find some other place more to your liking, and we don't hold that against you in the least.

Good luck and godspeed.

Art Eatman
February 27, 2014, 10:55 AM
For that thread, the firearm as a firearm is not the focus of the event. THR is not the Daily Bird Cage Liner for current events.

People shoot people; they shoot critters as well as paper, claybirds or steel. Unless there is something specific about the particular firearm, or how the use affects us in the firearms community, it's not really THR material.

buck460XVR
February 27, 2014, 10:56 AM
I thought the reason given for closing the moose thread was completely valid. Life is a learning experience....live and learn.

jrdolall
February 27, 2014, 10:59 AM
Don't you admins watch tv? Zombies are alive and among us yet every thread about zombies gets locked! Maybe a thread discussing the proper caliber for sufficient penetration to kill a zombie moose......

Frank Ettin
February 27, 2014, 11:28 AM
It seems like every thread I start anymore just gets locked,...Since you joined you've started 115 threads. Two have been locked.

model4006
February 27, 2014, 11:31 AM
Sorry you feel that way. (Though you could have spoken to me personally about it before you vented on the public forum.)

We don't ever try to hold someone here who does not enjoy or appreciate what this place is, and does. There are lots and lots of gun forums out there, and some of them do host much broader types of topics than we do here, and have no problem reveling in the negative and tragic aspects of gun use.

You may find some other place more to your liking, and we don't hold that against you in the least.

Good luck and godspeed.

The last time my thread got locked I sent a PM to the moderator that locked it. I thought my PM was polite and well written to make my point, and I never even got a reply. So I look(ed) at PM-ing a moderator as a waste of time.

I'm not actually trying to sound like a crybaby, I just figured making a new post would actually get a response from a moderator (and it did) and admittedly a little self satisfaction.

I get the whole "high road make gun people look better" idea, but there's always something to be learned from a civil discussion. Which I thought in both of my locked threads was still possible.

Before that video did I think that a Glock would stop a moose?

Nope.

I'm still curious what caliber it was, and whether or not he broke any actual laws. Although I suppose that depends on what type of land he was on.

Anyway I am getting off of the topic that doesn't exist in this thread lol, my point still stands...it was my mistake for trying to use this forum for something outside its intended purpose.

Good day

model4006
February 27, 2014, 11:34 AM
Since you joined you've started 115 threads. Two have been locked.

Dangggg I even got 3 mods to reply, this WAS a good idea!!

I don't post often so the locked threads are still a high % as of late lol

jbrown50
February 27, 2014, 12:04 PM
The alternative is to have a forum like the former packing.org. Once a fantastic website, in it's final year or so it went totally off the hook mainly because it was allowed to police itself. There was lots of extremist ranting, distasteful comments and threads, and trolling. Most of it had very little to do with firearms. Some people loved it, others thought it was a disgrace to the gun community. I was in the latter crowd.

I appreciate the job that the moderators do here in keeping things quite civilized. Sometimes that requires the occasional thead shutdown or post removal.

Robert
February 27, 2014, 03:45 PM
The last time my thread got locked I sent a PM to the moderator that locked it. I thought my PM was polite and well written to make my point, and I never even got a reply. So I look(ed) at PM-ing a moderator as a waste of time.
That was me and I am sorry. I've started a new job and it has been a major shift. Again I am sorry for not answering your pm.

However, as to the latest issue, THR is for the responsible use of firearms. Not being an idiot on a snowmobile. Stupid people do stupid thing with guns, or get into situations they should not have been in in the first place and use a gun as the way out. A story having a gun in it does not in and of itself make the story suitable for THR.

Now I know moose can be aggressive, so if you were to start a thread about defense while spending time in moose country that would be with in the scope of THR.

jmr40
February 27, 2014, 06:36 PM
The video COULD have lead to a constructive discussion, possibly if the introduction had been worded differently. But based on my time here it would not have been so. And that is not necessarily your fault. This was one of those times where it was just as well to nip it in the bud before things got out of control.

jrdolall
February 27, 2014, 06:38 PM
The video actually is making the rounds on social media today.

Yo Mama
February 28, 2014, 09:05 AM
this WAS a good idea!!

Because you had 3 Moderators answer you, now you feel better? Sheesh.

Sam1911
February 28, 2014, 09:13 AM
Ok, ok...no need to pile on. It is what it is.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lock this one too" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!