Inexpensive Truck Gun

PDA

BigSam63
February 27, 2014, 12:36 PM
For an inexpensive gone to keep in my truck would I be better off buying a high point 9mm or an Armscor m200? Does anyone have experience with both of these firearms? Any other recommendations for an inexpensive truck gun? i.e. less than $300 and in a good defensive caliber.

If you enjoyed reading about "Inexpensive Truck Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
toivo
February 27, 2014, 12:42 PM
How about a surplus CZ 82 in 9x18 Makarov? The ammo isn't as easy to find as regular 9MM, but it is available online, and the pistol itself is a cut above the two you mentioned.

http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000116&dir=700|1012|1027

SC Shooter
February 27, 2014, 12:45 PM
Take a look at any the Makarovs. Usually less than $300

mingo
February 27, 2014, 12:48 PM
I would also look at higher quality used handguns. Some used guns were never shot much and almost new. You could prolly find some good deals at pawn shops etc....

mingo

ColtPythonElite
February 27, 2014, 12:50 PM
Glock police trade-in.

Dr. Sandman
February 27, 2014, 01:12 PM
Hi-point has a reputation for reliability, but do you really want one of those plastic hunks representing you? Ugly, crude, and classless. Look for something else IMHO.

Jlr2267
February 27, 2014, 01:38 PM
Used Ruger P95, used Kahr CW9, CZ82...all reliable (generally) and inexpensive

krupparms
February 27, 2014, 05:05 PM
You can pick up a new gun for only $50 more maybe less! But if you just have to stay under $300, I would look at the CZ -82 or 83. Also the MaK.s, especially the PMM. The LPS is a place to check as a good used gun can be quite a deal. For about $350 you could get a new S&W. S.D.series pistol or a couple of others. Look online also, you might get lucky! Good luck!

jmace57
February 27, 2014, 05:49 PM
Sarco has Arcus 9mm for $150. (Used). I'd be tempted to try one of them.

PJSprog
February 27, 2014, 05:55 PM
Not a fan of keeping firearms in a vehicle, especially in population centers.

mac66
February 27, 2014, 06:07 PM
Used P series Ruger or a used shotgun would be my choice.

jrdolall
February 27, 2014, 06:40 PM
Makarov style pistol. Hi-Point 9 or 45. Plenty of decent guns in your price range. I bet I have 35 handguns that I got for less than $300.

DeadFlies
February 27, 2014, 06:49 PM
I've owned and shot the Hi-Point 9mm and .45 acp. The .45 is a good pistol, much better than the 9mm. Very reliable, 9+1 capacity, +p rated and inexpensive. You could probably get a used one for under $200 or a new one for just a bit over. If I needed/wanted a beater gun to keep in a vehicle, a Hi-Point .45 would be it.

rskent
February 27, 2014, 06:53 PM
BigSam, I don't want to come off as a jerk but why do you think a truck gun has to be cheep. I would think that your chances of getting in a confrontation in
your truck would be as good as anywhere else. Maybe better considering road rage, car jacking and such. I want a gun that I shoot well and is dead nuts reliable.
Just me.

Jeff H
February 27, 2014, 09:58 PM
Not a fan of keeping firearms in a vehicle, especially in population centers.

Why? If it is locked up, it isn't unsafe. Yes, I agree, don't keep it in the glove compartment, but if you have a locked place in your vehicle, why not?

HammsBeer
February 27, 2014, 10:36 PM
Sig P6. I have several and paid between $275 well used to $550 for near mint.

Cee Zee
February 27, 2014, 11:19 PM
How about a surplus CZ 82 in 9x18 Makarov? The ammo isn't as easy to find as regular 9MM

You can get either the 82 or the 83 (don't remember which) in .380 which is widely available. But I think supply of the 83's is about to dry up. I don't think they are being imported now.

These are solid and accurate pistols that make good carry guns. But for me a truck gun should be a bigger caliber. I like to carry a .44 mag as a truck gun at times. I'd rather carry a rifle but it isn't legal to carry those inside a vehicle and loaded in Ohio. It takes a CCW to be able to carry anything loaded inside a vehicle actually. But I have a .44 mag with a 8.5" barrel that is pretty accurate out to about 175 yards. It's almost as good as some rifles. But lately I carry a .40 with Hornady Critical Duty ammo because it will penetrate car door steel and windshields at about any angle you shoot them. It doubles as my carry gun much of the time when I'm not carrying a pocket pistol .380. It really depends on how many clothes I'm wearing. It's tough to hide a SA XDm under a t-shirt in the summer.

PJSprog
February 28, 2014, 03:47 PM
Why? If it is locked up, it isn't unsafe. Yes, I agree, don't keep it in the glove compartment, but if you have a locked place in your vehicle, why not?
Well, is a lock really going to keep out someone determined to get in? No. It might slow them down a bit, but it will also alert them that there is something of value inside that space. Not sure about where you live, but here in the St. Louis area, car break-ins have become the new sport of choice in the city. In fact, it's become an epidemic here. I don't have a problem with that practice in less populated areas. In the (more polite and relatively crime-free) rural area where I live, it's quite common.

And if you have a concealed carry permit, then I really don't see the point.

...just my personal opinion.

aarondhgraham
February 28, 2014, 05:05 PM
Of the two that you mentioned,,,
I would choose the Hi-point.

They have a great lifetime warranty,,,
And they do honor it.

Aarond

W.E.G.
February 28, 2014, 05:17 PM
What is a "truck gun?"

From the context it sounds like some sort of less-than-completely-reliable gun that would be left in a less-than-secure location.

Why would you want that, and why would you do that?

Guns are cheap.

When I need a gun, I need it to be there, and I need it to be reliable beyond question.

If you think you NEED a gun, get a good one, and keep it somewhere it won't walk off.

earlthegoat2
February 28, 2014, 06:21 PM
Ruger automatics would be my choice. Probably a used P89 or similar. Cheap and reliable.
Sometimes you can find good deals on Six series Rugers as well. Also very nice for a good price.

dprice3844444
February 28, 2014, 06:50 PM
pick something like the 5906 9mm or a 40, with a hammer drop safety you can leave in the safe position,that will not accidently discharge in an accident.

19-3Ben
February 28, 2014, 06:58 PM
And if you have a concealed carry permit, then I really don't see the point.

This.

There was a while that I kept a rifle in the trunk of my car, but I realized a few years back that the chance of the car being broken into and the rifle getting stolen were much higher than the chances I would encounter a situation where that rifle would actually help.

If you have time to stop, get into a locked box in your truck, and grab a gun, the greatest likelihood is that you also have time to escape the situation entirely.
if you need a gun, you need it NOW and that's where concealed carry comes in.
I consider it unwise for most people to leave a gun in an unattended vehicle. Perhaps there is some circumstance i'm not thinking of where it would be appropriate. (perhaps if you're a SWAT member and you could be called out to an emergency any moment so you need your duty rifle in the car etc… but then again, with the OPs budget and the firearms he's considering, this is not a SWAT member…)

BigSam63
February 28, 2014, 07:16 PM
I do want the gun to be completely reliable. There's a lock box built in to the center console of my truck. My plan was to keep the gun in a holster mounted on the dash while I was occupying the vehicle and remove the gun and place it in the lock box when I exited the vehicle. I don't think having limited resources should exclude me from owning a reliable defensive firearm.

BigSam63
February 28, 2014, 07:18 PM
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Very informative and much appreciated.

boatme99
February 28, 2014, 07:36 PM
A couple of points, here.
For the gun, I'd go for the Hi Point, although I'd step it up to the .45 cal. They are absolutely reliable and affordable. The last I saw about 2 months ago, the 45 was going for $175 at my lgs.

If you're going to leave in the truck all the time, I would NOT use the locking factory console for storage. Any 8 year old with a nail file can open that up like a Spam can with the key in 20 seconds.
Take a look at these-

www.autosafes.net

I'm not recommending this brand, just the idea of what to use.
Make your choices and enjoy.

tarosean
February 28, 2014, 07:48 PM
Hi-point has a reputation for reliability, but do you really want one of those plastic hunks representing you?

Firearms are a fashion accessory?

xfyrfiter
March 1, 2014, 03:16 PM
Also if you have to use it in a sd situation, it will become evidence, and I for one would rather the pd ruined a Hi Point, than a Kimber, or other high value gun. It will not make any difference if it is a good shoot or not, to the gun.

texasgun
March 1, 2014, 09:05 PM
my car gun is my carry-gun ... M&P Shield.

Not sure why people would trust their lives in a potential SD scenario on the cheapest firearm they can find ... aka Hi-Point

The Shield by no means is super expensive but quality wise a big step up from Hi-Point

TennJed
March 2, 2014, 02:38 AM
Hi-point has a reputation for reliability, but do you really want one of those plastic hunks representing you? Ugly, crude, and classless. Look for something else IMHO.
WOW. If you let material things represent you thing you need to rethink your life. Do you overspend for cars and homes just to impress other people?

M1GarandDeerHunter
March 2, 2014, 03:39 AM
Glock 17 , 21 or 22 would work for me. :D

acmax95
March 2, 2014, 07:01 AM
I keep a Taurus 66 4" 357 in my truck. I paid around 250 for it and it is a solid gun. I also keep a few boxes of 38 to share with my carry 442.

boatme99
March 2, 2014, 07:07 AM
A M&P 9 at a well known on line retailer runs $479. Or, 2 3/4 Times the cost of a new Hi Point .45

A used one runs about $389. About 2 1/4 Times the cost of a new HP.

The OP stated an inexpensive truck gun.
I wouldn't leave a $400-500 gun in y vehicle full time. A $175 one? A better choice for his requirements.
As for depending on a HP, we've all already seen the threads, and all's I have to say is, "have you actually owned one?"
Not have you read about it, have you fired someone else's, or have you held one in the store.
Have you OWNED one?

CZ223
March 2, 2014, 07:15 AM
about whether or not you should leave a gun in a car or not? The fact is that if your doors are locked it isn't any different than if the gun is in your house with the doors locked. If someone breaks into either and steals a gun, they are the ones committing a crime, not you. If the stolen gun is later used in a crime I might feel bad, I sure as hell would not feel responsible.
What I don't do is advertise that I might have a gun in the car. I don't have an NRA sticker on my car, though I am a member. I don't have any stupid bumper stickers that say stuff like, "You can take away my guns when you pry them from my cold dead hands" or, "Keep honking, I'm reloading". I don't have a Glock sticker in my rear window. I don't leave guns or other valuables in plain sight. My vehicle always has a couple of guns in it and it has never been broken into.
As for which gun is right for you as a "Truck Gun", that is up to the individual. There are several good used options in the $300 range. If you can find a used Glock or Ruger for that kind of money I would grab it. I have 2 Hi-Point carbines that are a lot of fun to shoot and have been very reliable, if the handguns are as reliable I would think that might be a good option. I just picked up a 20 year old Rossi M88 for $250 in like new condition, that would fill the roll very nicely. There are a lot of used Taurus and Rossi's out there that should be in your price range. The third Gen smith's are getting harder and harder to find for that kind of money but those are great guns. The bottom line is get a reliable gun and get familiar with it for "any" of your gun needs. Remember, if you are ever in a situation where you truly "need" a gun, you need one that works. Right now, I have in my car a Kimber Ultra, a Smith Lady Smith 357, the aforementioned Rossi M88, a Glock 23 and an AR-15. If one or all of them were stolen, I would be mad but they are just things and things can be replaced.

W.E.G.
March 2, 2014, 10:40 AM
I think these questions always really are simply, "Where can I get a reliable used gun that is already scratched."

Wow, there's a gazillion of them out there.

"What reliable gun do I want to feed and train with?" is the question the OP should be asking.

4v50 Gary
March 2, 2014, 10:44 AM
I would prefer a SKS. They used to be cheap ($89) and were good for 100 yard shots (I'm in the country where you can see for miles).

toivo
March 2, 2014, 11:35 AM
Why does this always become a discussion

about whether or not you should leave a gun in a car or not? The fact is that if your doors are locked it isn't any different than if the gun is in your house with the doors locked.
Yes, up to a point. But when you leave your guns in your house, aren't they locked in safe? If you're going to leave a gun in your car for more than just the minute or two it takes to run an errand, why not use one of those cable-secured lock-boxes?
http://www.bulldogcases.com/case-vaults/images/BD1120SM.jpg
It can go under the seat with the cable securing it to the seat frame. If someone steals your car, they will eventually get the gun, but this deters the smash-and-grab type of thief and also makes it so any carjacker won't be able to instantly arm himself as he drives off in your stolen vehicle.

Armybrat
March 2, 2014, 11:50 AM
When I had a Chevy regular cab pickup, my $45 H&R 12 gauge (19" bbl) rode in a floor mount hidden behind the seatback - plenty good for social work:

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/VegasCosmo2011.jpg

gbeecher
March 2, 2014, 12:45 PM
I have a Hi-Point C9 and am very happy with it. I've owned it over a year with 342 rounds of fmj fired for 2 fail-to-feed and 1 double feed. The gun is comfortable to hold, soft recoil, good sights and easy to clean. The Hi-Point warranty is excellent. My other gun is a Mosin-Nagant rifle, which I also love, but doesn't make much of a good 'truck' gun. (tank maybe - not truck) :D

george29
March 2, 2014, 03:18 PM
Mine is a Mosin M44

tarosean
March 2, 2014, 11:40 PM
Also if you have to use it in a sd situation, it will become evidence, and I for one would rather the pd ruined a Hi Point, than a Kimber, or other high value gun.

Why? If it did its job saving your hide, the cost shouldn't matter one iota.

xjsnake
March 3, 2014, 10:41 AM
To answer the OP's question. I had an M200 and it wasn't a half bad gun. The DA trigger pull was awful but the SA pull was darn near as good as my Smith Model 10. It shot point of aim and always went bang. It now lives with my mother who couldn't manipulate the slide on a semi auto.

rdmercer
March 3, 2014, 02:54 PM
To start out with, a truck to me is something you haul grain or livestock to the market. You are probably talking about pickups in the 1/2 ton-3/4 ton category. And a 'truck gun' for me is a side folding stainless steel iron sight mini-14 in 580 series. My concealed carry Glock 23 in 40 cal is with me all the time, along with a Keltec 380 in my front pants pocket. I always thought of a 'truck gun' as a carbine such as 30-30 Winchester, SKS, or Mosin 44. Just me.

franzas
March 3, 2014, 02:56 PM
Look for police trade-ins. Glocks and M&Ps in 9 and .40 for about $350.

texasgun
March 4, 2014, 12:39 AM
^^^

this. I personally would not trust my life to a Hi-Point with 3 failures in 350 rounds fired...

My Glocks, M&P, Steyr have each been thru 800 or more rds with ZERO failures

toivo
March 4, 2014, 12:10 PM
I kind of agree with texasgun -- ammo-picky, jam-prone is OK for a target pistol, but not for self-defense.

gym
March 4, 2014, 11:57 PM
AK PAP, under 400 if you look, what could be better.

oldgold
March 5, 2014, 08:36 PM
Rural area. FR-8 that I paid $150 for a couple years ago.
It's been in my car for ever since. Either way I come home I can see the house from 1/4 mile away. A pistol is not practical.

bflee
March 7, 2014, 07:39 PM
My buddy at work had a hi point. It was a single shot automatic that couldnt be cleaned without a punch kit. I guess when they are dirty you buy another one. After a 1hour cleaning it was still a one shot automatic. I wouldnt buy one. I would buy an old revolver. I only own one revolver, a 22/22WMR, but i would take it any day over the high point!
My "truck gun" is a XDm40. My LCP gets me back to the truck. If no one knows its there they wont try and steal it.

Onward Allusion
March 7, 2014, 07:53 PM
I prefer handguns. Easier to conceal and maneuver in tight spaces. Any 3rd generation S&W semi (5906, 59XX, 915, 40XX) will be a good choice. Lots of police trades where the insides of the gun are practically new.

A word about the Armscor revolvers... The M206 is a great little gun. The M200 not so much.

Analogkid
March 7, 2014, 08:08 PM
I have sent more ammo down range with my Hi-point c9 than any firearm I own save for my Ar. I never hesitate to tell anyone to get one of these if thats all they have to spend.

I have had several of the Armscor m206's and i have had issues with everyone so far. They definitely do not have the quality of the other RIA firearms.

Get the C9 or any Hi-point pistol you want. They all run fine. Some may need mag lip adjusting but that's it.

WALKERs210
March 7, 2014, 08:14 PM
I have met several local LEO's that not only carry their service pistol, shotgun mounted in car but also carry the Hi-Point carbine in either 40 or 45cal. I myself just recently purchased the carbine in 45ACP, other than it just needs to be shot to get things seated I have never had a single issue and even with my shaky old hands it will hit what you aim at. Cost has gone up over the last year but what has not gone up (besides income).

Babylon
March 7, 2014, 10:06 PM
+1 on the CZ 82. You can't go wrong with a CZ. A lot of people dis the 9X18 but it's actually really nice round.

In case You've not seen it HickHok45 did a review on it a while back..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsoJOjt25vU

I would also suggest the CZ-52 in 7.62x25 for a can't-go-wrong truck gun for under $400 bucks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Inexpensive Truck Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!